Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I will be quite worried if we don't have a CB in by the end of the week. Not got a problem with us bring a load of new players in, provided it's done with plenty of time before the season starts.

Agree as realistically with only 3 games left it looks like the team for City will only contain two new signings that start - Jay Rod and Clyne - with question marks over probably four of the back five (Clyne excluded).

I will be quite worried if we don't have a CB in by the end of the week. Not got a problem with us bring a load of new players in, provided it's done with plenty of time before the season starts.

Agree as realistically with only 3 games left it looks like the team for City will only contain two new signings that start - Jay Rod and Clyne - with question marks over probably four of the back five (Clyne excluded).

I'm more than happy with Hooiveld and Kelvin. I think we need a new CB in place of Fonte and then possibly another to challenge Jos (but that is less urgent). I think Kelvin is fine, I couldn't see us signing a keeper to immediately displace him anyway.

I'm not Fox's biggest fan, but there seems to be a split over whether he could cut it or not. If we're getting another left-back in then fine, get it done, asap.

I'm more than happy with Hooiveld and Kelvin. I think we need a new CB in place of Fonte and then possibly another to challenge Jos (but that is less urgent). I think Kelvin is fine, I couldn't see us signing a keeper to immediately displace him anyway.

I'm not Fox's biggest fan, but there seems to be a split over whether he could cut it or not. If we're getting another left-back in then fine, get it done, asap.

I know alot on here don't rate Fox but he will be key this season.

When you make the step up to PL, set pieces are crucial and if you can score goals from set pieces (e.g Stoke in first season) then it takes the pressure off the rest of the team in open play. Fox's crossing, corners and free kicks will create alot of chances for Lambert, Rodriguez, Hooiveld, Fonte etc over the course of the season and this could well be the difference between comfortably staying up and just scraping it on final day.

If we were to sign Dann, that'd add extra height to set pieces and more dominance. It will be a key part of us this season I think.

I know alot on here don't rate Fox but he will be key this season.

When you make the step up to PL, set pieces are crucial and if you can score goals from set pieces (e.g Stoke in first season) then it takes the pressure off the rest of the team in open play. Fox's crossing, corners and free kicks will create alot of chances for Lambert, Rodriguez, Hooiveld, Fonte etc over the course of the season and this could well be the difference between comfortably staying up and just scraping it on final day.

If we were to sign Dann, that'd add extra height to set pieces and more dominance. It will be a key part of us this season I think.

Do agree, Fox has brilliant delivery. If he hd a bit more energy to get up the pitch he would be fantastic. Look at the goal JR scored in the Arsenal friendly - superb ball in.

Agree with the energy part. Seems to tire in games late on but its something that can be worked on with a proper pre season.

Also people say his defending isnt too good? I thought he did pretty well against Ajax at the weekend against top quality oppostion and wingers. Also the new formation will help out both full backs with extra support and cover.

Do agree, Fox has brilliant delivery. If he hd a bit more energy to get up the pitch he would be fantastic. Look at the goal JR scored in the Arsenal friendly - superb ball in.

Agree with the energy part. Seems to tire in games late on but its something that can be worked on with a proper pre season.

Also people say his defending isnt too good? I thought he did pretty well against Ajax at the weekend against top quality oppostion and wingers. Also the new formation will help out both full backs with extra support and cover.

Also requires them to get forward more when the wide attackers move inside. Suits Clyne perfectly but not sure re Fox. He seems hesitant to get forward at times, maybe under instructions as Richardson often bombed on.

Also requires them to get forward more when the wide attackers move inside. Suits Clyne perfectly but not sure re Fox. He seems hesitant to get forward at times, maybe under instructions as Richardson often bombed on.

I have noticed that. He only seems to get to halfway and then stops. He proved he can get forward and beyond wide man in the Derby game with the free flowing move where he provided the cross for Lallana to volley home. If he was to get forward more often then as you said, he'd be fantastic.

I have noticed that. He only seems to get to halfway and then stops. He proved he can get forward and beyond wide man in the Derby game with the free flowing move where he provided the cross for Lallana to volley home. If he was to get forward more often then as you said, he'd be fantastic.

Certainly starting to look a bit desparate as its 18 days to the new season and we still have Fonte and Jos as first choice, with Seaborne first backup. Have no doubt we'll bring in a CB but they need to get used to how we play. Hopefully this week

I've been very impressed with who we've brought in so far but the CB situation is really starting to worry me and we only have 2 fully fit ones. We need to stop enquiring about CBs and get fees agreed for 2 or 3 from our shortlist that are within our feasible price range and get talking with a view to bringing at least one in this week or very early next. In fact, I'd put Crosby in charge of the next couple of friendlies and make that Nigel's number one priority over the next 5-7 days. Then once those are in the bag we can focus on RM. If Fonte or Jos get injuries pre-season we are in big trouble.

Certainly starting to look a bit desparate as its 18 days to the new season and we still have Fonte and Jos as first choice, with Seaborne first backup. Have no doubt we'll bring in a CB but they need to get used to how we play. Hopefully this week

I've been very impressed with who we've brought in so far but the CB situation is really starting to worry me and we only have 2 fully fit ones. We need to stop enquiring about CBs and get fees agreed for 2 or 3 from our shortlist that are within our feasible price range and get talking with a view to bringing at least one in this week or very early next. In fact, I'd put Crosby in charge of the next couple of friendlies and make that Nigel's number one priority over the next 5-7 days. Then once those are in the bag we can focus on RM. If Fonte or Jos get injuries pre-season we are in big trouble.

How do you know bids haven't been put in? How do you know we aren't already talking to some? You don't. We should really know by now that we generally hear very little, if not nothing, about potential transfers, and whilst it's understandable to be a bit anxious that we sign someone, I certainly don't think we are in any position to be suggesting how Saints should conduct their transfer activity. As for suggesting that Adkins 'concentrate' on signings and let Crosby run the team... sorry that's just ridiculous IMHO.

As we constantly hear from NA, Saints have plenty of staff working on this, and we need to have some faith and some patience that they are doing the best they can.

How do you know bids haven't been put in? How do you know we aren't already talking to some? You don't. We should really know by now that we generally hear very little, if not nothing, about potential transfers, and whilst it's understandable to be a bit anxious that we sign someone, I certainly don't think we are in any position to be suggesting how Saints should conduct their transfer activity. As for suggesting that Adkins 'concentrate' on signings and let Crosby run the team... sorry that's just ridiculous IMHO.

As we constantly hear from NA, Saints have plenty of staff working on this, and we need to have some faith and some patience that they are doing the best they can.

Read the post again. Did I say or suggest that bids had not been submitted? My point, which you've entirely missed, is that time is ticking down to get new CBs in so that if Jos or Jose have a problem before the first game that any new arrivals are used to our patterns of play and have had time to work with Kelvin, our other defenders and the coaching staff as well as NA. I'm not fussed by the lack of rumours, I've got more important things to do than spend all my time fretting on here. However, I merely expressed concern that getting CB deals done given the time left to bed people in, particulalry overseas signings, is getting tight and therefore we might need to push on with some deals and leave the unaffordable ones be. Not unreasonable IMHO. As for the point about Adkins time, IIRC Everton have put Round in charge of friendlies before when Moyes has been getting deals over the line. Adkins could still do the prep work but might not be there on the day and could watch it after plus the reports he'll get.

I've seen your comments on Son of Bob's sensible thread and generally you are one of the posters I've respected over the years but read your reply again and you might see that you've over-reacted. I'm hardly the only poster SLIGHTLY concerned by not having more CBs in, in fact I'd say I'm in a majority. I trust NA and NC fully and know they do their very best for SFC and very often it is very successful.

Read the post again. Did I say or suggest that bids had not been submitted? My point, which you've entirely missed, is that time is ticking down to get new CBs in so that if Jos or Jose have a problem before the first game that any new arrivals are used to our patterns of play and have had time to work with Kelvin, our other defenders and the coaching staff as well as NA. I'm not fussed by the lack of rumours, I've got more important things to do than spend all my time fretting on here. However, I merely expressed concern that getting CB deals done given the time left to bed people in, particulalry overseas signings, is getting tight and therefore we might need to push on with some deals and leave the unaffordable ones be. Not unreasonable IMHO. As for the point about Adkins time, IIRC Everton have put Round in charge of friendlies before when Moyes has been getting deals over the line. Adkins could still do the prep work but might not be there on the day and could watch it after plus the reports he'll get.

I've seen your comments on Son of Bob's sensible thread and generally you are one of the posters I've respected over the years but read your reply again and you might see that you've over-reacted. I'm hardly the only poster SLIGHTLY concerned by not having more CBs in, in fact I'd say I'm in a majority. I trust NA and NC fully and know they do their very best for SFC and very often it is very successful.

Fox just doesn't have as much pace as Clyne. That's fine, but we'll need to be realistic in that he's not going to get to the byline as much as Clyne would. He can still attack and get crosses in. The ball can travel the length of the pitch faster than Usain Bolt could run it, so attacking fullbacks are about keeping the ball and not giving it away cheaply as much as they are about pace. The old 442 wasn't as good on the ball, so Fox will have had more defending to do. Fox has a great left peg an him and I don't think crossing from slightly deeper will be bad for him.

Fox just doesn't have as much pace as Clyne. That's fine, but we'll need to be realistic in that he's not going to get to the byline as much as Clyne would. He can still attack and get crosses in. The ball can travel the length of the pitch faster than Usain Bolt could run it, so attacking fullbacks are about keeping the ball and not giving it away cheaply as much as they are about pace. The old 442 wasn't as good on the ball, so Fox will have had more defending to do. Fox has a great left peg an him and I don't think crossing from slightly deeper will be bad for him.

I agree, there is no reason for the full backs to get to the byline. Yes it is a good option to have, but Fox is more than capable of putting a decent ball in from level with the 18 year box. Saw it time and time again last season.

I agree, there is no reason for the full backs to get to the byline. Yes it is a good option to have, but Fox is more than capable of putting a decent ball in from level with the 18 year box. Saw it time and time again last season.

I wasn't meaning for him to get to the byline necessary but I can't remember many times when he really advanced past Lallana - which also would create space.

I wasn't meaning for him to get to the byline necessary but I can't remember many times when he really advanced past Lallana - which also would create space.

Read the post again. Did I say or suggest that bids had not been submitted? My point, which you've entirely missed, is that time is ticking down to get new CBs in so that if Jos or Jose have a problem before the first game that any new arrivals are used to our patterns of play and have had time to work with Kelvin, our other defenders and the coaching staff as well as NA.

Fair enough, I interpreted it differently and I apologise for that.

I still think that the club probably have things in hand and that it is unlikely that we could change too much to help, but admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs.

As always with these things though, there is a balance to be struck between getting the right person in, and getting someone ASAP as time progresses. It's a bit of a risk assessment, sometimes you get bitten on the arse, sometimes you don't. I want us to get a CB or two in also, but I would always prefer we get someone we really want rather than having to settle for someone else just to get them in the door. If that means a minor risk in the first few games then personally, that's a risk I'm willing to take, but not everyone would.

We'll see what transpires.

Fair enough, I interpreted it differently and I apologise for that.

I still think that the club probably have things in hand and that it is unlikely that we could change too much to help, but admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs.

As always with these things though, there is a balance to be struck between getting the right person in, and getting someone ASAP as time progresses. It's a bit of a risk assessment, sometimes you get bitten on the arse, sometimes you don't. I want us to get a CB or two in also, but I would always prefer we get someone we really want rather than having to settle for someone else just to get them in the door. If that means a minor risk in the first few games then personally, that's a risk I'm willing to take, but not everyone would.

We'll see what transpires.

Fair enough buddy, no offence meant or taken. Agree on getting someone we want, I do really appreciate what NC and NA do for us so I'm sure they've got some great ideas. They know more than I do, after 7 years of watching NCP and L1 football, my knowledge of CBs at this level is limited!

after 7 years of watching NCP and L1 football, my knowledge of CBs at this level is limited!

That's actually an interesting point... I'm the same. I have plenty of Sky-watching mates who seem to watch football 24/7 and have heard of every player under the sun but I'll readily admit that I haven't heard of a large proportion of Premier League defenders, especially those who aren't at big clubs or internationals. I may have heard a name in passing but know so little about that level because of the time we've spent out of it.

Saints reportedly interested in Japanese centre back Maya Yoshida who plays for VVV Venlo in Holland. He is currently playing in the Olympics with Japan

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/vvv-venlo-confirm-premier-league-interest-southampton-fulham-target-maya-yoshida-3423161

23 years old, 6'2", plays internationally for Japan, and can do this:

[video=youtube;823UT-wP7WE]

I just think if he adds this to his game and goes bombing forward, we're going to have gaping holes at the back, which is why when Harding played for us, he was caught out as there was always huge gaps in the defence.

Attacking fullbacks leave big holes. It's down to the team to keep the ball and press the opposition back so the gaps don't get exploited. Harding will have got done either because we didn't retain and press or just as likely he wasn't that good.

Saints reportedly interested in Japanese centre back Maya Yoshida who plays for VVV Venlo in Holland. He is currently playing in the Olympics with Japan

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/vvv-venlo-confirm-premier-league-interest-southampton-fulham-target-maya-yoshida-3423161

Japan have already qualified for the next round so he would be another player that wouldn't play too much, if any, of our pre-season for us should he sign which would be a worry for the Man City game.

Japan have already qualified for the next round so he would be another player that wouldn't play too much, if any, of our pre-season for us should he sign which would be a worry for the Man City game.

He will have played some matches in the Olympics though, more than Cork. Plus the season is more than one game, and its not like Fonte and Hooiveld are Alan Bennett.

He will have played some matches in the Olympics though, more than Cork. Plus the season is more than one game, and its not like Fonte and Hooiveld are Alan Bennett.

True. I do understand what you mean but it's harder for a new player to fit in rather than someone like Cork who knows his teammates already.

I just really think we need a new CB in time for City because I think Fonte will struggle.

I think all of our defenders/potential transfer targets will look shaky vs City...it's what happens when you're playing against a team with players like Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, Silva, Toure etc

yep - those aren't the games that will define our season. As much as Fonte might struggle vs Aguero, Morgan will vs Silva and Rickie won't get a sniff from Kompany.

CB, CB, GK, LB, RM would make us a complete team IMO, although we could get through to January with one CB, a LB and a RM IMO.

I'm a glutton for signings though, I love them and it perks me right up. If I were a Watford fan. I'd have been a bit moist yesterday when they signed seven! Come on Saints, three in today!!!

From the transfer rumours site for what it's worth:

Southampton have been alerted to the news that Real Madrid have made their young French defender Raphaël Varane available for loan although they will face stiff competition from a number of other clubs.

Nigel Adkins is also interested in St Etienne midfielder Josuha Guilavogui while the club are eyeing a potential double deal for Rennes duo Jonathan Pitroipa and Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik.

Jeremain Lens and Adam Johnson are two other names that firmly remain on Adkins' shortlist.