Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I would rather he went when it has the smallest effect on our season. According to Nixon it is the reason we aren't moving forward with signings and I don't think that's acceptable.

But it's brinkmanship time at the moment and it's gone quiet for most clubs not just us. I suspect that we have offers in for several players and are now waiting for their clubs to blink first. Annoyingly though, it'll all happen at the end of the window like it always does and I'd rather Mr C was around then than now.

Not two weeks before the start of our first season back in the Prem and not if it effects our transfer dealings (which according to Nixon and the availabe evidence it has done.)

Oh I forgot to say ... "Nixon says ..." come on Hypo please. ;)

You didn't actually say at what point in the school holidays you would give Cortese your approval to have a family holiday. You said "I would rather he went when it has the smallest effect on our season". When exactly would that be?

Why do I have to give an exact two week period? I don't believe that two weeks before the start of the season is a good time to go on holiday if it means our transfer dealings are delayed.

Why do I have to give an exact two week period? I don't believe that two weeks before the start of the season is a good time to go on holiday if it means our transfer dealings are delayed.

Well the window he has to have a summer holiday with his family is from mid July to early September. You will get people criticising him whichever two weeks he picks from that period. In any case, transfers can still be done without him in the country.

Well the window he has to have a summer holiday with his family is from mid July to early September. You will get people criticising him whichever two weeks he picks from that period. In any case, transfers can still be done without him.

Although Nixon seems to think that the reason things have slowed down is because of this holiday and our activity has noticeably slowed and we then find out Cortese is on holiday.

Although Nixon seems to think that the reason things have slowed down is because of this holiday and our activity has noticeably slowed and we then find out Cortese is on holiday.

Is the word of Alan Nixon the gospel truth? Lets say Cortese returns in one weeks time, that still gives the last two weeks of the window for him to do transfer business in person. He probably did similar last summer, that proved to be a fruitful season didn't it?

We have signed 3 players that are likely starters already to add to last seasons squad, plus Tadanari Lee will feel like a new signing given his lack of game time last season due to injury.

Why won't you say which two weeks of the six available to him you would find acceptable him not being at work?

Is the word of Alan Nixon the gospel truth? Lets say Cortese returns in one weeks time, that still gives the last two weeks of the window for him to do transfer business in person. He probably did similar last summer, that proved to be a fruitful season didn't it?

Why won't you say which two weeks of the six available to him you would find acceptable him not being at work?

Did I say it was? Duncan seems to think that he won't be available until just before the season kicks off. This season reinforcements are much more important (especially in defence) than last season. I don't think he should go on a two week holiday during that period when it is our first season back in the Prem really but I think two weeks before the season starts is the least ideal time to be away, especially if it affects transfer dealings. Is Adkins going away with his children this week?

Edited by hypochondriac

Been trying not to be negative this past 2 weeks and just forward to the City game in less than 2 weeks time...

But as it gets closer to the first game and we still haven't signed the 2 CBs, 1 LMF/LB and 1 RMF we need I'm getting a little blaze at our prospects for next season.

Obviously we don't need these players in by the 19th as that's just the first game but I would hope we have the two CB's in AT LEAST by the time we play Wigan on the 25th.

For me its imperative we get the players in that we need this season. We've done well in my opinion so far in the Window bringing in great new additions in Clyne, Davis, Gazzaniga and Rodriguez but we didn't invest in the Centre-Back department until the final day of the window last season and payed the price for the injuries/loss of form in October/November and January.

It's obviously MUCH more important that we get in the players in we need for this season than it turned out last season. I said the same last season and I said we'd struggle to stay up (let alone come 2nd in the league) with the small amount of additions we made, obviously I was totally wrong then.

But I believe in the Prem you need that squad strength in depth, if Fonte and Hooiveld get injured (I have my doubts whether Fonte will be any good in the Prem anyway) then who do we have at CB? Stephens? And that's it, we could recall Martin if it came to it I suppose but he's hardly a quality Prem Standard proven CB is he?

Very apprehensive at the moment, obviously there's still 28 days left until the end of the transfer window, but I think if we don't have two new CB's at the very least in by the 31st August we will go down.

Edited by BlakeySFC

We have signed 3 players that are likely starters already to add to last seasons squad, plus Tadanari Lee will feel like a new signing given his lack of game time last season due to injury.

It was a fruitful season but it wasn't necessarily because of our business.

On the surface, its arguably one area in which we could have done better. Only Cork and SDR were signed during preseason and we had to wait till the start of the season to get Fox and Hooiveld.

More important, it was common knowledge that we wanted a striker in the summer but then only managed to do business in the Jan window, a delay that could have quite easily blown up in our faces and almost did.

The players go on holiday during school term time, doesn't seem to be a problem for them. Would you rather have the players in now so they've got time to meet their teams mates and blend into the squad or right at the very last minute?

Not two weeks before the start of our first season back in the Prem and not if it effects our transfer dealings (which according to Nixon and the availabe evidence it has done.)

I dont agree with your sensationalism earlier saying its disrespectful, thats just mental.

I do agree though that the timing is rediculous, surely to christ 2 weeks/3 weeks whatever before the start of the season, and all reports coming out of the club that they are still seriously looking at 3 players it is just not clever to go on holiday and effectively stall any oppurtunity to sign players.

You didn't actually say at what point in the school holidays you would give Cortese your approval to have a family holiday. You said "I would rather he went when it has the smallest effect on our season". When exactly would that be?

He should go in the last 2 weeks of the Summer holiday, which is when all our business should have been concluded by.

Is the word of Alan Nixon the gospel truth? Lets say Cortese returns in one weeks time, that still gives the last two weeks of the window for him to do transfer business in person. He probably did similar last summer, that proved to be a

We were very, very lucky that Hooiveld turned out to be a success, as we left CB until the last minute then too.

I don't believe for one minute that our transfer activity has stopped because NC is on holiday. What a complete load of crap. Our transfer activity has slowed because hardly anyone is signing players at the moment. Clubs are holding out for best prices.

Do all of the Premier League chairman go on an annual beano to Benidorm this time of year?

Can't believe some people hang on every word of Nixon's tweets. Pathetic.

My god were half of you lot ****ed up last night? What a pointless thread!

Hypo - you've lost it mate going on and on about Nixon says this and NC shouldn't go on holiday!

I am only interested in who we're intereasted in signong, any gossip, rumours etc so please have your petty arguments in private next time not on this thread.....

I don't believe for one minute that our transfer activity has stopped because NC is on holiday. What a complete load of crap. Our transfer activity has slowed because hardly anyone is signing players at the moment. Clubs are holding out for best prices.

Do all of the Premier League chairman go on an annual beano to Benidorm this time of year?

Can't believe some people hang on every word of Nixon's tweets. Pathetic.

Spot on!

I would rather he went when it has the smallest effect on our season. According to Nixon it is the reason we aren't moving forward with signings and I don't think that's acceptable.

You really are a class A bore, so much sh1te from one poster! as for agenda's, you seem to know all about them.

Well the window he has to have a summer holiday with his family is from mid July to early September. You will get people criticising him whichever two weeks he picks from that period. In any case, transfers can still be done without him in the country.

Why couldn't he go when NA, players and most of the footballing world were on holiday?

I was pleasantly surprised this morning that the first few posters were discussing this possibility and its implications sensibly. Then the same few posters arrive with the abuse and normal service is resumed.

Its not surprise that two I have on ignore are two who start posting abuse. Unfortunately on an android phone it doesn't ignore them properly :(

Edited by hypochondriac

I was pleasantly surprised this morning that the first few posters were discussing this possibility and its implications sensibly. Then the same few posters arrive with the abuse and normal service is resumed.

Its not surprise that two I have on ignore are two who start posting abuse. Unfortunately on an android phone it doesn't ignore them properly :(

Without being rude. Dismiss this if you like but I have not said anything to you for ages....

But you do come across with an agenda somewhat. It is clear as day light.

Without being rude. Dismiss this if you like but I have not said anything to you for ages....

But you do come across with an agenda somewhat. It is clear as day light.

What agenda is that? I simply don't have one. I haven't said a words about cortese for ages because frankly he has done a good job and the bad things have been far outweighed by the good. I don't think he should be going on holiday now and I would think that whoever was chairman.

With regards the rumours of a consortium, it is what I was told by an ex player who was approached by then directly. Most likely it will come to nothing but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Been trying not to be negative this past 2 weeks and just forward to the City game in less than 2 weeks time...

But as it gets closer to the first game and we still haven't signed the 2 CBs, 1 LMF/LB and 1 RMF we need I'm getting a little blaze at our prospects for next season.

Obviously we don't need these players in by the 19th as that's just the first game but I would hope we have the two CB's in AT LEAST by the time we play Wigan on the 25th.

For me its imperative we get the players in that we need this season. We've done well in my opinion so far in the Window bringing in great new additions in Clyne, Davis, Gazzaniga and Rodriguez but we didn't invest in the Centre-Back department until the final day of the window last season and payed the price for the injuries/loss of form in October/November and January.

It's obviously MUCH more important that we get in the players in we need for this season than it turned out last season. I said the same last season and I said we'd struggle to stay up (let alone come 2nd in the league) with the small amount of additions we made, obviously I was totally wrong then.

But I believe in the Prem you need that squad strength in depth, if Fonte and Hooiveld get injured (I have my doubts whether Fonte will be any good in the Prem anyway) then who do we have at CB? Stephens? And that's it, we could recall Martin if it came to it I suppose but he's hardly a quality Prem Standard proven CB is he?

Very apprehensive at the moment, obviously there's still 28 days left until the end of the transfer window, but I think if we don't have two new CB's at the very least in by the 31st August we will go down.

Excellent post. I am sure if I had said the same i would be accused of trolling, as some people find it an easy thing to do as opposed accepting that i might have a case.

The people who resort to personal insults are either bullies, or have nothing to offer themselves, or are cowards preferring to go with the shoal; rather than write what they believe.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/05/3288825/newcastle-manager-pardew-we-will-be-patient-in-the-transfer?source=breakingnews

Newcastle manager Pardew: We will be patient in the transfer window

The Magpies boss insists he is not bothered with the club's relative lack of transfer activity, and is more concerned with not losing any of his current players

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has reiterated his desire to add to his squad, but insists there in no desperate need to do so and he is prepared to wait for the right deal.

The Magpies have been relatively quiet in this summer's transfer window, the only movement being the acquisitions of youngsters Romain Amalfitano, Gael Bigirimana and Curtis Good.

For several weeks now they have been linked with Lille right-back Mathieu Debuchy, but have yet to agree a fee despite the Frenchman's desire to leave the club.

However, Pardew is not worried about the lack of activity, claiming it's more important to keep his current squad together.

"I don't know if not signing anyone is bad news," Pardew told The Sun.

"I would say that bad news is losing a player, especially one of our top players and I do believe we are pretty strong in terms of that not happening.

"But if we get players in then great. I do need a couple of players, maybe three.

"However, I am very comfortable about going into our first game without any. If, to get a deal done, we need to show patience then that's what we will do.

"It's better to be patient with the ones that you want, rather than going down the list a little bit."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/02/3280546/van-persie-modric-lucas-moura-the-premier-league-business

A word must be said about the lack of transfer market activity by premier league champions Manchester City. They have been unsually quiet by their standards

Coming to Manchester United next, they have added Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell to their roster.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/02/3280546/van-persie-modric-lucas-moura-the-premier-league-business

The complexity of big money transfers has been highlighted by the ongoing sagas surrounding north London stars Robin van Persie and Luka Modric, with the major deals of the summer still to come.

The leading clubs in England still have plenty of work to do after a relatively quiet start to the summer, with the cogs now turning behind the scenes on potentially season-defining deals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18795997

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell bides time in 'quiet' transfer market

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell is having to bide his time in the search to add more players to his squad following the arrival of defender Luke Chambers.

Jewell wants to sign three or four more players to boost the first-team squad.

"Seeing how quiet the market's been over the summer would indicate there's a premium of good players around," he told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"We're not even getting to the stage of people turning us down because there really is a lack of players."

In summation, keep calm girls, it's quiet all round!

Why are you linking to teams like city and Newcastle? The finished near the top of the table last season whilst we were in the championship. Its a totally different scenario.

It is quite clear that transfers in England are very quiet at the mo.... We have done more business than most in the country.

If we don't have a CB in for the Udinese game then I will start With the concern.

I know the city game is almost a write off... But the Wigan and utd games certainly are not

That must have taken a lot to work to come up with something that irrelevant. City have been told they need to sell before buying, but at the same time don't really need to strengthen. United haven't done a lot of business in a long time, it's not the way they roll. However, look at the teams that needed strengthening, namely Chelsea and Arsenal. They have been very active.

Teams that are in need of strengthening have strengthened. We desperately need to strengthen our defence, and I fear we are running out of time, especially to have them in place by City.

Our pre seasons in recent times has often revolved around whether we can hang on to our top players. I think people are underestimating the importance of that. We are in an exceptionally strong position to have retained the services of Lallana, Rickie and Schneiderlin who have undoubtedly been enquired about over the summer. We have four quality signings (albeit that Gazza is probably one for the future. We also have 4 new youth players joining the first team. Ward Prowse may well start the first game and the other three have shown they would not look out of place in the first team.

We have four capable centre backs and a host of wide players to fill those positions. One of those is Puncheon who appears to be a reborn professional in pre season and could be as good as a new signing. So in a nutshell, if we make no other signings I suspect we will be a force in the new season. This is not Championship Manager where you are constantly bringing 8 or 12 new players each season. As NA says - it's as much about evolution as revolution.

If we went into the Premier League season with the current squad

It is quite clear that transfers in England are very quiet at the mo.... We have done more business than most in the country.

If we don't have a CB in for the Udinese game then I will start With the concern.

I know the city game is almost a write off... But the Wigan and utd games certainly are not

Buy we need to as we are a promoted team. I agree with you anyway, we need a cb in this week

Why are you linking to teams like city and Newcastle? The finished near the top of the table last season whilst we were in the championship. Its a totally different scenario.

Exactly, their squads are already top notch and good enough whereas we NEED to sign 2 or 3 new players. We NEED at least a CB, we NEED a left back and we potentially NEED a right winger.

Newcastle and Man City would LIKE a couple of new players but its more important for them to keep their squads together and try and add a touch of quality but it isn't as important as our transfer market this summer.

As posters have previously said, we got lucky last year. SdR has proved to be pretty poor so far and has therefore barely played, we all knew Cork would cut it, Fox was a solid addition in an area we didn't think needed strengthening, however we were lucky with Jos especially as he was about 5th choice on our CB list! It was a gamble even if he was only on loan as we would've had to get another loanee in if Jos didn't cut it, and finding a decent CB on loan is very difficult. This season we don't get the 'luxury' of a loan window so our deals need to be spot on first time round.

We went into the season with Martin and Fonte as CB and only Lambert, Connolly, Guly and Forte as strikers. We can't afford to risk similar again this season.

To a simple mind unable to think of another reason, it certainly does. After all, a + b always = c right?

I have no idea what's going on with our transfers or how Cortese operates, whether he can work from abroad and so on. Neither do you. The only difference there is you pluck conclusions out of the air, I'm happy to admit I don't know.

Some possible alternatives:

1) he is working abroad, can operate by phone, email and has people he trusts in the country to complete deals etc.

2) he knows the deals being worked on won't be completed this week and there's nothing he can do being in the country

3) deals are already wrapped up and there's little he needs to do

4) we don't have any money so doesn't matter anyway

5) he thinks we're so good we don't even need signings

6) he's just left someone else in charge7

7) deals have failed and he's waiting for adkins/scouts to suggest new targets

8) bids have been lodged and he's waiting to hear from the clubs, but not much can be done before that.

9) he's travelling around stalking top footballers

10) he fancied a holiday and didn't reckon a week or 2 would lead to grown men shouting at their computer screens.I

If I had to guess, I'd suggest in this day and age it makes bugger all difference where he is.

You forgot to add its his birthday today,I kid you not.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_Cortese

To a simple mind unable to think of another reason, it certainly does. After all, a + b always = c right?

I have no idea what's going on with our transfers or how Cortese operates, whether he can work from abroad and so on. Neither do you. The only difference there is you pluck conclusions out of the air, I'm happy to admit I don't know.

1) he is working abroad, can operate by phone, email and has people he trusts in the country to complete deals etc.

2) he knows the deals being worked on won't be completed this week and there's nothing he can do being in the country

8) bids have been lodged and he's waiting to hear from the clubs, but not much can be done before that.

10) he fancied a holiday and didn't reckon a week or 2 would lead to grown men shouting at their computer screens.I

If I had to guess, I'd suggest in this day and age it makes bugger all difference where he is.

Don't think anyone is shouting at their computer screen or anything like that. It seems to me like a perfectly valid question. With two weeks to go before the start of our premier league campaign and with some much needed work to do to our squad, it seem curious to find out that NC is potentially on his summer holidays.

There may be absolutely no impacts what so ever, I've said as much before. However, the question still remains that why couldn't he have gone on holiday at the same time as the coaching and playing staff? With the level of work being but in by the squad and NA to prepare for the season and with some high profile pre-seaon games underway etc you'd expect the leader of the club to be phyically present during this time wouldn't you?

And before anyone starts, I'm not moaning, I'm not bickering and I'm not stoking an agenda. I'm asking some reasonable questions about Saints on Saints related football forum.

Most CEO's I have ever worked for / with in the modern business era simply do not have a holiday as such. They may go away but they live and breathe their work (one of the main reasons they are driven and successful) meaning they will absolutely have access to all relevant information required should an important decision require making such as the agreement to sign a new player or let a player go. They also usually have people they place faith and trust in to get business issues to a point where they can make an executive decision based on the information they get provided from said trusted people.

I do not know Nicola Cortese at all, but from what I do know from interviews and his success generally is that I'm almost certain if a deal needed doing for the right player at the right price then he would make himself enough available to ensure that deal got done assuming it needed him to be there / sign something etc.

Everyone needs to calm down. Decent post from Adrian above in my opinion and Cortese being away will not mean business cannot be done as I do not know of any business that shuts up shop for 2 weeks on their decision making because the CEO is away.

What do you mean?

Are you suggesting they deliberately left it until the last minute, knowingly....just for the risk or thrill of it??? Seriously?

Every signing is done as quickly as possible. Why would it be any other way? Perhaps other targets didn't work out or it was a long negotiation. It's the same for every club out there, that's why deadline day is so busy.

Why do so many people on football forums think they know better than the chairman and managers of professional football clubs? I really don't get it.

No, I didn't mean that and I find it strange that you came to that conclusion. I also find it strange that you've come on here this morning in such a hostile manner, as this is all being discussed quite amicably.

What I meant was that we didn't try hard enough, didn't offer the money or whatever was needed to bring in a CB before then, which we desperately needed, and were very lucky that we managed to sign Jos with the last throw of the dice, which it blatantly was. Jos really could have gone either way in his ability and whether he actually wanted to come. That was my point. We got lucky once, we need to ensure we're not relying on luck again.

No, I didn't mean that and I find it strange that you came to that conclusion. I also find it strange that you've come on here this morning in such a hostile manner, as this is all being discussed quite amicably.

What I meant was that we didn't try hard enough, didn't offer the money or whatever was needed to bring in a CB before then, which we desperately needed, and were very lucky that we managed to sign Jos with the last throw of the dice, which it blatantly was. Jos really could have gone either way in his ability and whether he actually wanted to come. That was my point. We got lucky once, we need to ensure we're not relying on luck again.

Think we were more lucky upfront tbh. We were linked with lots of names in the summer, inc Sharp but didnt get anyone in till Jan.

With Lambert unproven, Connolly injury-prone and lightweight, Guly inconsistent, Barny and Forte probably not good enough and our CMs goal-shy, not signing anyone was a massive risk. In hindsight, it didn't matter, though I'm sure if we had got Lee or Sharp in earlier, we would have ended up winning the league.

I've just had a look through the posts on here this morning, where is the abuse?

All I have read are people who disagree with you and the gospel according to Nixon. No abuse.

Honestly, loads of you should seek the support of a mental health professional. The guy has a right to go on holiday, he is unlikely to be quite as obsessed as you. The fact is you are losing the plot over not making signings who, in 6 weeks you will be calling crap, in 12 weeks you will be calling our saviour and in 6 months will be saying needs to be replaced as not good enough. Why dont you go on holiday? Perhaps you might not be so wound up about such tiny things after a nice rest.

Honestly, loads of you should seek the support of a mental health professional. The guy has a right to go on holiday, he is unlikely to be quite as obsessed as you. The fact is you are losing the plot over not making signings who, in 6 weeks you will be calling crap, in 12 weeks you will be calling our saviour and in 6 months will be saying needs to be replaced as not good enough. Why dont you go on holiday? Perhaps you might not be so wound up about such tiny things after a nice rest.

Peopel aren't 'wound up'. In fact it seems it's those complaining like yourself that are getting more wound up. The question is pertinent.

We need 2 CB's and a RW. This has been identified by NA. We are wondering if NC going on holiday for 14 days, 11 days before our first game, will restrict or perhaps harm our chances to sign these players before the City game, and ultimately before the end of the transfer window. Is it unreasonable to ask this?