Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Yeah that's true, if he goes there I'd definitely expect him to get more goals than Rodriguez next season. They'll only regret it I spose if they happen to get relegated anyway, then they'll be a bit ****ed off that they've got nothing to show for their moneys!

The sad fact of football is that you don't even need an asset for your millions, just another ticket for the theatre of the next season. I take your point though. Their millions guarantee goals in the prem provided he stays fit though.. Ours on Rodriguez dont.

Not really a guarantee of goals. For a start, Carroll only scored 4 Premier League goals last season.

Not really a guarantee of goals. For a start, Carroll only scored 4 Premier League goals last season.

If WHU play Carrol in every game, he'll get enough deliverys into the box to get his head on. He's awful with his feet and he is very predictable, but he will still get goals from free kicks/corners/long balls into the box which WHU will look to do at every opportunity.

I don't think anyone said anything that bad. It's not easy to point out an invalid opinion without causing a little offence. If he'd seen the keeper play plenty of times and said 'I don't rate him' or 'I think he's really good', I'm sure no-one would mind, then any opinion is his own. But the comments after a short appearance in one friendly isn't opinion, it's reactionary drivel. You can only play the ball if there is a ball.

It was reactionary, I agree, but it was still an opinion... However causing offence whilst disagreeing with an opinion is entirely reliant on two things: 1 - the way in which the person takes the comments, and 2 (obviously) the way in which the reply is worded.

I would've said something like: 'I'm sorry, but I really cannot see how you can come to that opinion based on just a short period of football. All goalkeepers have made mistakes in their career, some more than others, and especially at the younger end of their career. It would be impossible to recruit a keeper who had not, and would never, make a mistake, and in this particular instance, I would suggest a miskick was far less of a mistake than letting the ball through hands or legs directly leading to a goal. Judging any player on just 45 minutes is pretty silly IMO.'

If that causes offence, then I would suggest that person shouldn't come on to a forum if they can't even handle a reasonable reply. Calling someone a pillock is quite obviously going to cause offence to some people.

Edited by Minty

Minty i admire your concilliatory manner or whatever, but the original opinion that dude expressed writing off G-Nigga cos he made a bad kick was pretty offensive too innit!

Offensive in that most people disagree with it(including me)? That's not really 'offensive' IMO.

Liking the use of 'innit' too... you noticed my post on the Muppet Show thread obviously. ;-)

Offensive in that most people disagree with it(including me)? That's not really 'offensive' IMO.

Liking the use of 'innit' too... you noticed my post on the Muppet Show thread obviously. ;-)

Nah I'm sticking with my view that hating on G-Nigga for one bad kick is the same as hating on a poster for one dumb comment. How offended you is depend on who's side ur on I spose.

And yeah I added the bad grammars just for you normally I'm saintswebs greatest exponent of the olde Queen's English! I'm renowned for my good grammars!

WHU are trying to break the bank to get these marquee signings and haven't got anyone. No one half decent wants to go there and play Allardyces style of football, they're in a dream world

And whatever happened to their academy, have they let it rot? Used to bring through some great youngsters

(Has been mentioned on here before)

According to reports in Turkish newspaper Sabah, Fenerbache are now the favourites to sign Wolfsburg defender Simon Kjaer. The Denmark international has not travelled with Wolfsburg on a pre-season trip to China and has also been linked with Lille and Udinese after spending last term on loan at Roma.

Wouldnt surprise me QPR buying someone else on horrendous wages...Portsmouth thought this was a good idea a few years ago...

QPR's signings would underwhelm me if I were a Ranger's fan. Aging nomads looking for a last pay day, Fabio, who's proven to be not as good as his twin, and Junior Hoilett who's a good signing but still potential. Park is probably the signing I'd have been happiest with, and it's yet to be proven how good he is in a team that isn't Man Utd!

Reading fans are excited with their signings too. Not sure I'd be.

Striker isn't a position we need to strengthen...we need defenders!!

Wouldn't hurt to bring another one in for a testing first season. We don't know the extent of Lee's injury. Sharp, Lambert and JRod alone all season would be pushing it. If we can afford a striker as well as three defenders, a keeper and a right winger, it wouldn't hurt to look if the right target became available.

(I do however think we'll stick with what we have until at least January.)

I can't see us bringing in another striker when we have Lambert, J-Rod, Sharp, Lee, and then Lallana, Guly, De Ridder who can also do a job there. Much more likely to bring in a pacy wide man who can play up front as well.

This. Can see why we were keen on Lens as he can do exactly that. Hopefully its a good sign that things have gone quiet.

I could see de Ridder going out on a short loan if we did bring in a wide player. Seem like he just needs a run of starts to get some rhythm.

Adkins has said he'll be back towards the end of pre-season. He is already doing some training with the squad.

... as long as it's not niggling or repetetive, that's good news. Still, if we did sign, say, Gary Hooper now, I wouldn't go round complaining we didn't need another striker.

Depends how you're playing. They're the exact opposite. One all technique, bit lazy, creative, the other a big, strong but extremely limited technically lacking try hard.

For the record I think both are generalisations. Berbatov is not at all lazy, his last proper season at Man U before Ferg dumped him he was working his socks off. Also Carroll is good technically, good heading/touch/control but I think his decision making lets down his play.

So August 1st today - correct me if I´m wrong but not all players with outgoing contracts got their last paycheck then. So hopefully some transfer activity happening now - if we enter the market of free players of course? Or was this the way of the dark lork mr.Lowe?

Come on now - we need another defender - NOW !

Edited by St.Patrik

Certainly starting to look a bit desparate as its 18 days to the new season and we still have Fonte and Jos as first choice, with Seaborne first backup. Have no doubt we'll bring in a CB but they need to get used to how we play. Hopefully this week

I have to agree, it is imperative we get 1 or 2 CBs in this week or at least early next week, with the City game being just over a fortnight away.

The time to gel in the Bristol City and Udinese friendlies will be key.

I have to agree, it is imperative we get 1 or 2 CBs in this week or at least early next week, with the City game being just over a fortnight away.

The time to gel in the Bristol City and Udinese friendlies will be key.

Its really important. I'm starting to worry a bit because we are desperately weak at cb.

So whats the scenario then?

A= Buttner, Lens, Olsson, Biyik , Akyal - will some of these sign?

B= Some totally out of the blue signing - that some will like some not?

C= Non of the above - we wait until Jan before we sign more players?

Strangely I woke up this morning to the thought that Buttner will sign today; I don't normally think about footballers in my waking moments. My pillow must be itk.

Reckon we'll see a CB this week - but probably one that doesn't excite us: a Jos type signing. Danns?

So whats the scenario then?

A= Buttner, Lens, Olsson, Biyik , Akyal - will some of these sign?

B= Some totally out of the blue signing - that some will like some not?

C= Non of the above - we wait until Jan before we sign more players?

I would like (not sure if I expect), an experienced CB - maybe premier league experience or African international, and a very big money, eye wateringly impressive RM "marquee" signing.

Oh well, dream on, COYR

Massively still need as a minimum one quality CB (better than either Jose or Jos) and a wide player who is a real threat to the opposition.

Reckon we have spend circa 10-11m so far and need to spend that again on the above with maybe another CB too.

Next two transfers in 9excluding a dev squad keeper) will decide our fate IMO.

Massively still need as a minimum one quality CB (better than either Jose or Jos) and a wide player who is a real threat to the opposition.

Reckon we have spend circa 10-11m so far and need to spend that again on the above with maybe another CB too.

Next two transfers in 9excluding a dev squad keeper) will decide our fate IMO.