Basset : / Daily Echo : Lowe Did not pick the team

qwertySFC

So Bassett is quoted, presumably after a bit of pressure from the club, the club is quoted, but no one with a counter view, which is dismissed as being held by 'some fans'. Really, really poor, one-sided journalism.

And Bssett's denial falls firmly into the category of non-denial denial.

So Bassett is quoted, presumably after a bit of pressure from the club, the club is quoted, but no one with a counter view, which is dismissed as being held by 'some fans'. Really, really poor, one-sided journalism.

And Bssett's denial falls firmly into the category of non-denial denial.

But transcripts don't lie do they? It would appear on the surface that there were things in the original post on here - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4739 that weren't actually said....?

Dunno

Within the article there is an interesting line that could mean many things

"if we had let Harry get on with the job he could have put Southampton back in the Premier League and I believe that. "

But I pointed out at the start of the thread, this is simply water on buring oil, and a story that will continue to run and run.................. yawn

Within the article there is an interesting line that could mean many things

"if we had let Harry get on with the job he could have put Southampton back in the Premier League and I believe that. "

But I pointed out at the start of the thread, this is simply water on buring oil, and a story that will continue to run and run.................. yawn

Another piece of the jigsaw. Not quite the big fat juicy centre bit we were first led to believe, but another piece all the same.

Take the words at face value, then read into them what you want :-

"Rupert was keen to play the youngsters", "Rupert didn't pick the team, Harry did"; ergo Rupert tried to influence team selection but HR resisted, exactly what was inferred in the original thread.

"Rupert was keen to play the youngsters", "Rupert didn't pick the team, Harry did"; ergo Rupert tried to influence team selection but HR resisted, exactly what was inferred in the original thread.

What do you think he meant by this bit ?

'if we had let Harry get on with the job he could have put Southampton back in the Premier League and I believe that.'

The lawyers have been busy over the last couple of days, it seems...

Another round to Lowe..

They have printed the transcript Alps. How can that be a round to anyone?

I find it hard to understand what the hell Basset is on about sometimes, he is difficult enough to listen too and 2ice as hard to read.

The comment about letting harry get on with it could be taken in so many ways. Is he talking about the fans? The board? more time? backroom staff? I know there are some obvious ones there but he up'd and left us so he decided to not try, he didnt want to speak to half the backroom staff even though he publicly accepted and welcomed the likes of woodward.

He has proved that he can go to a club and pull of miricles but it usually involves spending a load of dosh on players and wages. The only place he hasnt done that is at Spuds and to be fair they have a fair amount of decent players there already.

I cant believe all the haters were jumping up and down shouting facts that were never spoken and they were claiming the more sensible posters were going to be the laughing stocks. lol

So basically what your saying is that someone can publicly say one thing then its fine to change that and make up what you think they really meant and call that fact?

but under no circumstances believe anything that is said that might show Lowe as not being the bad guy for a change?

What do you think he meant by this bit ?

'if we had let Harry get on with the job he could have put Southampton back in the Premier League and I believe that.'

Nice bit of selective quoting. If you look at the full sentances he's clearly speculating what the Southampton fans will THINK.

So the Southampton fans will, I think, think you know, if we had let Harry get on with the job he could have put Southampton back in the Premier League and I believe that.

So basically what your saying is that someone can publicly say one thing then its fine to change that and make up what you think they really meant and call that fact?

but under no circumstances believe anything that is said that might show Lowe as not being the bad guy for a change?

But I have never said that any of this is FACT, have I ? As I said, people will read into what is printed exactly what they want to see. Surely you don't believe everything you read in the press, particularly given the generally sycophantic tone of the Echo ?

Literal interpretation really ........

.. " Lowe did not pick the team " ....... OK, the Team consists of eleven + subs .........

So, OK Lowe did not pick ALL of them, ie "the team"

But he certainly interfered, and insisted on SOME that would play and SOME that would not

It matters not if Bassett now " retracts " ....... Pandora's Box has already been opened .........

" Something is rotten in the state of Denmark " ...... Too right Shakespeare, too right .......

He's still the wriigly Red Faced Worm he has always been

They have printed the transcript Alps. How can that be a round to anyone?

I find it hard to understand what the hell Basset is on about sometimes, he is difficult enough to listen too and 2ice as hard to read.

The comment about letting harry get on with it could be taken in so many ways. Is he talking about the fans? The board? more time? backroom staff? I know there are some obvious ones there but he up'd and left us so he decided to not try, he didnt want to speak to half the backroom staff even though he publicly accepted and welcomed the likes of woodward.

He has proved that he can go to a club and pull of miricles but it usually involves spending a load of dosh on players and wages. The only place he hasnt done that is at Spuds and to be fair they have a fair amount of decent players there already.

I cant believe all the haters were jumping up and down shouting facts that were never spoken and they were claiming the more sensible posters were going to be the laughing stocks. lol

you should know by now that the facts the haters use are made up or twisted to sort their own agendas

But I have never said that any of this is FACT, have I ? As I said, people will read into what is printed exactly what they want to see. Surely you don't believe everything you read in the press, particularly given the generally sycophantic tone of the Echo ?

Sorry mate im not trying to accuse you of anything. Just trying to point out some peoples view points change the facts so much to suit there own ideas its quite funny.

I dont take too much notice of what i read in the press and some of that is as fabricated as things are in here. But bassets comments were fom his own mouth and on a live radio station. Somehow they got turned into what is written on the other thread which turns out to be a load of balls that made everyone jump up and down for 24 hours.

The transcript has been printed and although we shouldnt read much of what is in the press I tend to believe the transcript is what was actually said and none of it supports what is believed to have been said.

Literal interpretation really ........

.. " Lowe did not pick the team " ....... OK, the Team consists of eleven + subs .........

So, OK Lowe did not pick ALL of them, ie "the team"

But he certainly interfered, and insisted on SOME that would play and SOME that would not

It matters not if Bassett now " retracts " ....... Pandora's Box has already been opened .........

" Something is rotten in the state of Denmark " ...... Too right Shakespeare, too right .......

He's still the wriigly Red Faced Worm he has always been

you should know by now that the facts the haters use are made up or twisted to sort their own agendas

you were saying? lol

Just to put the record straight, as I was one of those that heard the original broadcast...

I was asked my opinion of the Echo article on another site,and whether anything was missing? I replied thus..

At first glance it seems as if somethings are missing, and/or are in a different chronological order.

One or two things that are attributed to Kelly, were actually said by Basset.

I see no reference to the week in, week out phrase that WAS USED!

In the transcipt the reference to Woodward and Clifford is missing (Rupert got two of his buddies in from non league and another sport bit)

Yet he feels the need to defend that in the prelude, which is strange.

But hey, it looks like Basset and Talksport have come under some pressure, so maybe it got to someone. Not exactly a retraction though!

LATER I ADDED..

I have just noticed the bit about previous managers advising him not apply for the job is missing as well.

At no time was it suggested that Lowe did pick the team, but the question of him interfering, or trying to interfere in the make up of the team is still very much there, even with 48 hours to edit it.

Just to put the record straight, as I was one of those that heard the original broadcast...

I was asked my opinion of the Echo article on another site,and whether anything was missing? I replied thus..

At first glance it seems as if somethings are missing, and/or are in a different chronological order.

One or two things that are attributed to Kelly, were actually said by Basset.

I see no reference to the week in, week out phrase that WAS USED!

In the transcipt the reference to Woodward and Clifford is missing (Rupert got two of his buddies in from non league and another sport bit)

Yet he feels the need to defend that in the prelude, which is strange.

But hey, it looks like Basset and Talksport have come under some pressure, so maybe it got to someone. Not exactly a retraction though!

LATER I ADDED..

I have just noticed the bit about previous managers advising him not apply for the job is missing as well.

At no time was it suggested that Lowe did pick the team, but the question of him interfering, or trying to interfere in the make up of the team is still very much there, even with 48 hours to edit it.

Spot on, it was never suggested that Lowe picked the team ( Harry would not have put up with that ) it was the interfereing that was implied and that is still the case

Think the Echo have alot to answer for on this, independant newspaper I dont think so !!!!

Even in this sanatised version you can see the frusration and the pressure of being a manager under Rupert Lowe.

quote..

" But it is something that Rupert Lowe, when I was there, and he always wanted Harry Redknapp to play the kids. It was something that him and Clive Woodward went on and on and on about."

A lot of ons in there!

Now whatever we think about Redknapp and/or Basset, they are very experienced with dealing with chairman. You can feel their frustration, it is tangible in that quote. The pressure from both Rupert and Clive was obviously intended to influence selections.

A lesser experienced manager could well buckle under that sort of pressure.

We now have a 'lesser experienced manager'.

Even in this sanatised version you can see the frusration and the pressure of being a manager under Rupert Lowe.

quote..

" But it is something that Rupert Lowe, when I was there, and he always wanted Harry Redknapp to play the kids. It was something that him and Clive Woodward went on and on and on about."

A lot of people on here were saying the same thing - we did have Theo, Cranie, Mills, Jones, Best, Blackstock, etc

you were saying? lol

Touche my friend, touche ......

" There are none so blind as those that cannot (or in some cases ) will not see " ...

We must meet up some time in the not too distant future, when Lowe has sold everything we have for his own personnal Ego, and we are fourth from bottom in Div 2

quote..

A lot of ons in there!

Now whatever we think about Redknapp and/or Basset, they are very experienced with dealing with chairman. You can feel their frustration, it is tangible in that quote. The pressure from both Rupert and Clive was obviously intended to influence selections.

A lesser experienced manager could well buckle under that sort of pressure.

We now have a 'lesser experienced manager'.

Do you live in a bubble? Have you not twigged in even the slightest degree, that taking that action of using the youth players could have averted us from the financial mess we are now in? The failure of not introducing the youth and continuing to rack up horrendous losses is why we will go into administration, unbelievable! Introducing the right youth players and complementing them with the correct type of senior players at that time is without doubt the best action we could have done based upon everything that we have seen happen and the financial mess we are now in. You really are deluding yourself with these statements, whilst totally ignoring the perilous financial position we are in.

In case you have not noticed, managers will spend what ever they can get their hands on and let someone else worry about the consequences. Someone has to give fiscal direction and the manager is one of the least capable from experience.

Do you live in a bubble? Have you not twigged in even the slightest degree, that taking that action of using the youth players could have averted us from the financial mess we are now in? The failure of not introducing the youth and continuing to rack up horrendous losses is why we will go into administration, unbelievable! Introducing the right youth players and complementing them with the correct type of senior players at that time is without doubt the best action we could have done based upon everything that we have seen happen and the financial mess we are now in. You really are deluding yourself with these statements, whilst totally ignoring the perilous financial position we are in.

In case you have not noticed, managers will spend what ever they can get their hands on and let someone else worry about the consequences. Someone has to give fiscal direction and the manager is one of the least capable from experience.

I think this one of the most realistic posts I have read today.

However I think we should complement our youngsters with a couple of more experinced players by selling Dyer Lallana or Surman

Hello ...... I'm obviously from a bubble ............

At the start of the season, when we embarked upon The Edam & Gouder Total Football as per Rupert (Mr Football) Lowe ............ exactly WHO were the " corect type of senior players " to whom you refer .... ?????

From within my bubble, I seem to recall that very soon the "Total Football" concept started to fade ......... only problem was, by then, Lowe had either SOLD or LOANED OUT the "corect type of senior player" that could have come in and stabilised the Team

Thanks to Lowe, we are now in the wonderful position of not being able to BUY any half decent players to bolster the Squad

......... I think my bubble is better than your bubble ..........

How do you know that course of action would have helped with anything? It would just as likely led us to relegation from this league sooner and the implications of that. On the other hand, spending 7 million properly and having it spent by a decent, motivated manager (i.e. not Burley) had a much better potential of gaining promotion and immediately eliminating any financial pressures.

Your assumption is way over-simplified and frankly, as a fan, I would much rather have seen us risk paying a bit on some half decent players to try and get back to the PL than sitting back and comfortably accepting lower mid-table CCC mediocrity even if it did mean having a few more quid today.

Touche my friend, touche ......

" There are none so blind as those that cannot (or in some cases ) will not see " ...

We must meet up some time in the not too distant future, when Lowe has sold everything we have for his own personnal Ego, and we are fourth from bottom in Div 2

this of course is very possible but its also just as possible for him to walk away now and watch us go into admin and end up in teh very same place and no better off in the same amount of time.

I am still in the camp of wanting to see us try and get out of it no matter who is in charge.

it is never known if a decision is too late until it really is too late. we are sticking the youth in now and too many of them but that seems to be more down to the bank that choice. crystal ball or tardis and im sure the youth would have been forced into the squad back then by who ever was in charge.

its just easy now to blame lowe for all that is wrong with the club cause they guy is who is is.

Hello ...... I'm obviously from a bubble ............

At the start of the season, when we embarked upon The Edam & Gouder Total Football as per Rupert (Mr Football) Lowe ............ exactly WHO were the " corect type of senior players " to whom you refer .... ?????

From within my bubble, I seem to recall that very soon the "Total Football" concept started to fade ......... only problem was, by then, Lowe had either SOLD or LOANED OUT the "corect type of senior player" that could have come in and stabilised the Team

Thanks to Lowe, we are now in the wonderful position of not being able to BUY any half decent players to bolster the Squad

......... I think my bubble is better than your bubble ..........

I think Up and away was talking about blending the youth into a team that still had plenty of experience a few years back when bagpuss and basset were laughing at how the kids were not good enough.

change in chairmen and so on since has watched us do not allot with the youth untill we are where we are today not being able to afford that prescious experience.

so which bubble are you in now?

How do you know that course of action would have helped with anything? It would just as likely led us to relegation from this league sooner and the implications of that. On the other hand, spending 7 million properly and having it spent by a decent, motivated manager (i.e. not Burley) had a much better potential of gaining promotion and immediately eliminating any financial pressures.

Your assumption is way over-simplified and frankly, as a fan, I would much rather have seen us risk paying a bit on some half decent players to try and get back to the PL than sitting back and comfortably accepting lower mid-table CCC mediocrity even if it did mean having a few more quid today.

I can see both sides which is why i mentioned the crystal ball before. had we known that the extra spend would get us no-where other than right on the door step of administration then we would have been allot more stringent with the money and been in a better position to keep the best of the experience mixed with the best of the youth now. Might be nearer play off spots by doing so. but had we not spent when we had the chance to do so the fans would have been just as unhappy.

LOL i have just been reading the comments on that page and its quite comical. They started off having a tiz waz about lowe picking the team, then backtracked on how it was just interference, then blamed the echo for editing the transcript and being in bed with lowe then someone even suggested the mp3 had been edited to suit too. Im sorry but if they are prepared to go on record to say it was the full interview then i cant help but believe them. it does go on to make a few people look silly though and maybe why this thread and the other one have gone a bit quite.

my "bit of perspective" post last night was derided by many, as they said lowe will be suing, bank would want him out over this.

I dared to suggest it was a storm in a teacup and thankfully many agreed but some couldn't believe that I was missing the point.

I have just had a chuckle as I read the actual comment -that Lowe will be taking legal action over.....

..." he always wanted Harry Redknapp to play the kids. "

Can't believe he is trying to ride this one out! lol

It's funny that the Echo decided to pick a headline denying something that no-one who actually paid attention to what was said had ever suggested.

Absolutely!!!!!!!

No one ever suggested that Lowe picked the team, so why do the Echo feel the need to distort the story, make it out that this was the original claim and then dress it up as a denial/rebuttal????

So the chat with Bassett went, 'Did Lowe pick the team?', with the answer being 'No'.

So that's it then, done deal, case closed.

No one ever suggested that was the case, so it shouldn't be any surprise with the answer received.

But why didn't they pick up on the bits that he originally said and what he also said in this response which reaffirms the notion that Lowe is overly involved in first team issues, namely:

'he was always keen that we played the youngsters',

which followed on from:

'when I was there, and he always wanted Harry Redknapp to play the kids. It was something that him and Clive Woodward went on and on and on about.'

So if they had Bassett on the phone, then why didn't they delve deeper here???

What exactly did he mean with these two quotes???

What was the context of the 'wanting' the youngsters to feature?

Because IMHO, they knew they were going to get an answer that they (and the Club) would not have liked.

That Echo/Club tie up sure looks comfy.

Lowe should be managing the business side of things and overseeing the manager, but there is no way he should be involved in telling the manager who to play, second guessng him or even making suggestions as to who should feature.

The manager should be left to manage.

Absolutely!!!!!!!

No one ever suggested that Lowe picked the team, so why do the Echo feel the need to distort the story, make it out that this was the original claim and then dress it up as a denial/rebuttal????

So the chat with Bassett went, 'Did Lowe pick the team?', with the answer being 'No'.

So that's it then, done deal, case closed.

No one ever suggested that was the case, so it shouldn't be any surprise with the answer received.

But why didn't they pick up on the bits that he originally said and what he also said in this response which reaffirms the notion that Lowe is overly involved in first team issues, namely:

'he was always keen that we played the youngsters',

which followed on from:

'when I was there, and he always wanted Harry Redknapp to play the kids. It was something that him and Clive Woodward went on and on and on about.'

So if they had Bassett on the phone, then why didn't they delve deeper here???

What exactly did he mean with these two quotes???

What was the context of the 'wanting' the youngsters to feature?

Because IMHO, they knew they were going to get an answer that they (and the Club) would not have liked.

That Echo/Club tie up sure looks comfy.

Lowe should be managing the business side of things and overseeing the manager, but there is no way he should be involved in telling the manager who to play, second guessng him or even making suggestions as to who should feature.

The manager should be left to manage.

im fairly sure that on the other thread there were plenty suggesting that lowe was/is picking the team and also i believe people wer going on about how the echo now know about it and cant wait for the story.

as it turns out the report that everyone is going nuts about has nothing of the "quotes" that yourself and others say were said.

The more people go on about the non quotes like they are facts the more it all looks abit silly IMO.

I agree that the chairman should keep to his side of the business as if he wanted to manage then he may as well save some cash and get rid of the manager. but giving guidlines to the manager that the team needs to be based around the youth we have comeing through as opposed to the highearners we cant afford is not really picking the team is it?

if we speant 30 to 40 million on a player would the manager be under any pressure to make sure he was played? or would the chairman sit back and watch his new investment collect his wages without getting on the pitch because the manager wants to play a different system?

as it turns out the report that everyone is going nuts about has nothing of the "quotes" that yourself and others say were said.

And here's what I posted yesterday which is not about Lowe picking the team, but instead interfering in areas which he should not be.

Today's quotes just reaffirm exactly what I was saying yesterday (read the bold bits which have been reaffirmed by Bassett).

What is comical is how so many who think it is a storm in a tea cup either try and move the debate away from the real issues, start to insult others or miss the point entirely.

Firstly this has absolutely nothing to do with Lowe's background, his fondness for shooting or his preferred sport being hockey. To suggest otherwise is just diverting the issue.

Secondly there is nothing wrong with the Chairman/CEO dictating the parameters within which the manger manages, i.e. transfer kitty available, salary budget available and setting target & objectives. He should also be involved in contract negotiations, transfer negotiations and dealing with agents.

Thirdly, there is nothing wrong if the Manager/Head Coach decides he wants to go overwhelmingly with youth. That would be his decision and he would have to be judged on it.

But the problem comes from this part of the response from Basset:

Every week Harrys selection was picked over, every week Rupert Lowe insisted he included more youngsters, every week Harry resisted..

This clearly states that the Chairman/CEO is second guessing the manager, interfering with team selection and stepping into areas of detail that he should be nowhere near.

Once given the general parameters to work with the manager should be left to manage. Of course he should be overseen, reviewed and assessed, but the Chairman/CEO should in no way be interfering with team affairs on this level.

Now if Lowe was prepared to interfere at this level with someone as 'backward looking', 'dinosauric' and 'traditional' as Redknapp, just what level is he interfering with poor old puppet Jan?????