Country versus club

Guided Missile

Here I am, in Mumbai, defending the English cricket team versus India and you know what? I feel a pride, a connection, a shared set of values and a common love of a great game, with my Indian hosts. Would I refuse to attend the next England game in India because they are 2:0 down in the series? Would I feel ashamed that they lost to a better side, despite a fighting inninings from Freddie Flintoff? Would I tell my Indian hosts that I have stopped supporting the English cricket team because they are losing and I don't agree with the ECB and their selection policies? Would I f***.

The fact that I support my national team, whatever the success or otherwise of the squad, is not questioned by my Indian hosts. All they will say is how exciting the next game will be, how they are looking forward to seeing Pieterson and Flintoff. How they love the game and respect the skill and talent of both sides.

Why should it be any different with Saints? The way we are losing at the moment provides no shame to me, when I discuss the club with any other supporter. No true fan questions whether or not I should support the team I love. Fans of other clubs would have no problem with the question of why I continue to support the team that represents the city of my birth. Certainly not my Manchester City supporting mate who well remembers the season in Division One, when he made the trek away to Macclesfield.

Simple question, really. Would you stop supporting England, in football, in cricket or in a World War, because they happened to be going through a sticky patch? No true patriot would question the FA, the ECB or the Government of the day, to determine whether they would stand beside their fellow man in support of their "team".

Nor would any true Saints fan. In short, get down to St. Mary's, spend your hard earned money, cry COYR for team, city and fellow supporter...

...and get a f***ing grip...

Supporter: A person who attends games involving his team, spends money that assists his team, or, failing that, raises the morale of the team or it's supporters that are able to attend games involving their team or spends money that assists their team.

Non-Supporter: A person who doesn't attend games involving his team, doesn't spend money that assists his team, or lowers the morale of team or it's supporters able to attend games involving his team or spends money that assists their team.

Edited by Guided Missile

Here I am, in Mumbai, defending the English cricket team versus India and you know what? I feel a pride, a connection, a shared set of values and a common love of a great game, with my Indian hosts. Would I refuse to attend the next England game in India because they are 2:0 down in the series? Would I feel ashamed that they lost to a better side, despite a fighting inninings from Freddie Flintoff? Would I tell my Indian hosts that I have stopped supporting the English cricket team because they are losing and I don't agree with the ECB and their selection policies? Would I f***.

The fact that I support my national team, whatever the success or otherwise of the squad, is not questioned by my Indian hosts. All they will say is how exciting the next game will be, how they are looking forward to seeing Pieterson and Flintoff. How they love the game and respect the skill and talent of both sides.

Why should it be any different with Saints? The way we are losing at the moment provides no shame to me, when I discuss the club with any other supporter. No true fan questions whether or not I should support the team I love. Fans of other clubs would have no problem with the question of why I continue to support the team that represents the city of my birth. Certainly not my Manchester City supporting mate who well remembers the season in Division One, when he made the trek away to Macclesfield.

Simple question, really. Would you stop supporting England, in football, in cricket or in a World War, because they happened to be going through a sticky patch? No true patriot would question the FA, the ECB or the Government of the day, to determine whether they would stand beside their fellow man in support of their "team".

Nor would any true Saints fan. In short, get down to St. Mary's, spend your hard earned money, cry COYR for team, city and fellow supporter...

Supporter: A person who attends games involving his team, spends money that assists his team, or, failing that, raises the morale of the team or it's supporters that are able to attend games involving their team or spends money that assists their team.

Non-Supporter: A person who doesn't attend games involving his team, doesn't spend money that assists his team, or lowers the morale of team or it's supporters able to attend games involving his team or spends money that assists his team.

Not going to Reading then presumably?

So, do I take it that we should all just ignore everything off the field, not post or say anything about those in charge and just get down to SMS and support the team????

If so, I'm sure there used to be a poster on here called Guided Missile who would always have a pop at McMenemy, Wilde, Crouch, even Lowe about the interest rates recently etc etc etc. I'm sure recently he even started a thread about who to blame for non promotion. Always an antagonistic source of lowering morale LOL.

Maybe this post should be forwarded to him to read:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Luckily they have air travel from India now, which means I will be able to make the Reading game. You must be thinking of the P & O Steamers into Southampton...they got rid of those a couple of years before they built Ocean Village...

lol good comeback. Probably better than the flight will be!

LOL. Typical of GM ramblings. Funny though.
Didn't think it would take long for a bitter post from an expat...shouldn't be long for Alpine to logon on to tell us how cr&p Saints are and how good Austria is. You must have totally gone native by now offix. Can't wait for your informed view on things in Southampton, not that it counts for sh!t...

Our city is built on trade and enterprise....your adopted city, on whores and gambling...

Can't wait for the response...along the lines of "Working for the Yankee Dollar", my favourite Skids track:

"And all flags and Yankee mags which embroidered all the meaning

In an oversight, forgot the fight, which never bore elation

Yankee, to war

Yankee, head high,

Yankee, in call

Yankee, we cry.

Working for the Yankee Dollar

Working for the Yankee Dollar"

Thanks for your words of wisdom GM. It's been what, about an hour and a half since the last self-appointed uber-fan told the normal peasant fans how they should act.
To be honest, I'm more concerned how sh!te your posts are. FFS try and contribute something more entertaining to this forum, Gordon. No one really gives a sh!t how often you attend games, just how interesting your posts are and take it from me, you're more boring than Alpine and that's saying something....

To be honest, I'm more concerned how sh!te your posts are. FFS try and contribute something more entertaining to this forum, Gordon. No one really gives a sh!t how often you attend games, just how interesting your posts are and take it from me, you're more boring than Alpine and that's saying something....

Well that certainly told me, or Gordon (I hope that wasn't a racial inference) or whoever. Pot and kettle spring to mind. If you'd have taken the time to read my posts you will have no doubt realised they take on board a variety of factors and draw a conclusion based on the information available rather than myopic one-tracked rhetoric.

So, do I take it that we should all just ignore everything off the field, not post or say anything about those in charge and just get down to SMS and support the team????

You and I are allowed to say what the f*** we want about the club because we pay a "moaners offset" fee when we bought our ST. It's like a "carbon offset" without the tax breaks...

Well that certainly told me, or Gordon (I hope that wasn't a racial inference) or whoever. Pot and kettle spring to mind. If you'd have taken the time to read my posts you will have no doubt realised they take on board a variety of factors and draw a conclusion based on the information available rather than myopic one-tracked rhetoric.

I've read your posts, Gordon and they are f***ing boring. And what is it about the "racial inference" sh!te? Are you totally mental or did you miss the "best batsman that ever played for Hampshire inference" (Greenidge without the r).

Now, as most readers will tell, having taken advantage of a happy two hour in my hotel, I will depart to the restaurant, wishing you all good night, or, as our scouse chairman would put it, COYR...

Edited by Guided Missile

You and I are allowed to say what the f*** we want about the club because we pay a "moaners offset" fee when we bought our ST. It's like a "carbon offset" without the tax breaks...

I haven't got a season ticket, nor do I go to away matches.

Do I lose 10% of the right to moan offset because of the non ST and a further 50% because of the non away attendance????

And what's the offset loss because I don't buy anything from the Megastore?????

We do need to know how to be the best fans GM, please tell us as I'm sure we all want to be uber fans [sic] just like you. Please, please, do tell.

Do I lose 10% of the right to moan offset because of the non ST and a further 50% because of the non away attendance????

And what's the offset loss because I don't buy anything from the Megastore?????

We do need to know how to be the best fans GM, please tell us as I'm sure we all want to be uber fans [sic] just like you. Please, please, do tell.

I be an uber fan um, like a mug I renewed my ST, I buy the odd item intem in the Megastore, but that still only gives me a 60% right to moan as the wife won't let go away in case the old ticker plays up. If only she new what I am watching at home she would not let me go for the same reason.

Edited by Toomer

Steve, you are allowed to moan as much as you want. The reason is that as you have lost all the credibility you ever had, as a former leader of the pack (brrrm brrrm), via your ill fated and grubby involvement with Wilde's organ, AKA the Saints Trust, any reader is likely to take the opposite view to you, thus raising morale and confidence.

Steve, you are allowed to moan as much as you want. The reason is that as you have lost all the credibility you ever had, as a former leader of the pack (brrrm brrrm), via your ill fated and grubby involvement with Wilde's organ, AKA the Saints Trust, any reader is likely to take the opposite view to you, thus raising morale and confidence.

I'm getting confused now;)

So are only those who attend matches allowed to moan, or is no one allowed to moan????

Are there degrees of moaning allowed (which works on a sliding scale based on attendance and monetary contributions - is it a linear relationship or an exponential one?)????

We really do need to be told as I don't want to upset the "uber fan" police on here or at SMS.

I'm sure there are loads of us wanting to know just what type of fan we are and what are moaning rights are.

How about a little excel spreadsheet that we can type our attendance and financial contributions in to that will then work out our moaning quotient. How about that for you next little ditty on the main page of this site (much more interesting that your Solent City Rangers scribble or your Gridiron revelations :smt015)

I've read your posts, Gordon and they are f***ing boring. And what is it about the "racial inference" sh!te? Are you totally mental or did you miss the "best batsman that ever played for Hampshire inference" (Greenidge without the r).

Now, as most readers will tell, having taken advantage of a happy two hour in my hotel, I will depart to the restaurant, wishing you all good night, or, as our scouse chairman would put it, COYR...

I guess I could 'spice' up my posts with childish insults, swearing and name-calling but judging by your posts that doesn't make them any more interesting either. I hope you get over your case of mild delhi-belly and are in a better frame of mind when you return.

Non-Supporter: A person who doesn't attend games involving his team, doesn't spend money that assists his team, or lowers the morale of team or it's supporters able to attend games involving his team or spends money that assists their team.

Wan*er: A person who is always brown nosing Rupert.

I find the non-ability to discriminate and modify one's herd instinct for no other reason than to conform to one's own definition of "supporter" a bit odd personally.

As for the club v country analogy, it's easy with cricket because it's a bit of a joke sport that despite pseudo-professional yearnings is played at a decent level by about 6 countries and still manages to accomoodate beer-swilling fatties. Good ol' Freddie can hit a ton, down 18 pints of best, get coked to the eyeballs and meet the PM. Let's chortle at the northerner.

I also think a lot of people did give up the ghost when we had an idiot like McLaren in charge. That's the point. We don't mind a plucky loser as long as they're the best option and provide some entertainment.

What we don't like is completely inexplicable and bizare decisions.

FFS.

Edited by benjii

People have a right to spend their money (or not) as they see fit, why dont you just feck orf and stop trying to ram your worthless, boring drivelling crap down peoples throats. You must be such a boring ***t in real life.

Simple question, really. Would you stop supporting England, in football, in cricket or in a World War?

Perhaps if the Germans in the late 1930's questioned their leaders' motives, there would not have been a world war.

If they had have questionned the Nazi's, it would have made them no less patriotic. Therefore, blindly following your leaders is not patriotism.

Wanting what's best for your club, cricket team or country is what counts. Therefore, those that feel a change of leadership is required (whether or not they are right or wrong) is no less loyal than those who blindly follow.

Shame, I had you down as a leader, not a follower......

Edited by Johnny Bognor

I would really question my life if I was coming on here looking to be entertained by your drivel.

Surely comparing club with country is a non starter?

Surely with the National football or cricket team a supporter doesn't have to worry about the finances and wether you can afford another stricker or have to worry about administration!?

Surely with these things to worry about a supporter of a club team is entitled to have a moan and not to attend?

I have to agree with GM on this one, whatever your views on the muppets running SFC, now is not the time for boycott's etc. I hate Lowe with a passion, and understand why people would not want to line his pockets but there is little or no alternative - the club needs support - it's as simple as that.

Staying away because of Lowe is just a poor excuse for being a fairweather.

I know what you're trying to say, so what I'll do is logoff my VPN and logon via the hotels network, then you can have another look at the IP address....

Can someone explain to me how you can check an IP address on this forum. Not that I don't believe you, just curious.