Swansea Build up

Thedelldays

Seriously Lallana? purely stupid comment, no one has worked harder than him in recent games. He's consistently been our best player this season.

Cue absurd suggestions in this thread about Chaplow getting a game and playing a centre back in midfield.

Need to play the 4-3-3, Lambert up front, Mayuka/Lallana wide, Gaston behind.

Would like to see Cork in but doubt he is fit, so it would most likely be Davis and Morgan.

Same back four plus Gazza unless they finish this investigation into Boruc and get him back in.

Lallana has been poor recently. End of. No need to bring Chaplow or converted CBs into the equation. With Ramirez, Mayuka, Cork, Puncheon and even Guly, there are plenty of options should NA want to experiment.

Lallana will play regardless. He is a good player who will make things happen and he does try hard, but half the time it means that he is out of position, therefore leaves Fox with 2 attackers.

Possibly more of a 'home' player than an away. Can we afford to start both Lallana and Ramirez away from home ?! I have my doubts.

Lallana will play regardless. He is a good player who will make things happen and he does try hard, but half the time it means that he is out of position, therefore leaves Fox with 2 attackers.

Possibly more of a 'home' player than an away. Can we afford to start both Lallana and Ramirez away from home ?! I have my doubts.

Agree - think there are few players who would do better at home than away (e.g AL) or vice-versa (e.g. Mayuka, even Guly).

Lallana has been poor recently. End of. No need to bring Chaplow or converted CBs into the equation. With Ramirez, Mayuka, Cork, Puncheon and even Guly, there are plenty of options should NA want to experiment.

Lallana has had some very poor notations on whoscored of late. According to them he was only noted better than Gazza on Tuesday night.

---------------------------- Boruc --------------------------------

Clyne ---------- Fonte --------------- Hooiveld -------------- Shaw

--------- Cork ---------- Schneiderlin ------------- JWP -----------

------------------ Ramirez --------- Lallana------------------------

-------------------------- Lambert --------------------------------

Subs: Gazza, Yoshida, Reeves, Mayuka, Seager, Rodriguez, Davis

Finally someone gets it, been saying for ages this is the formation we need to be playing although id have Gazza in goal, i dont trust Boruc. Lallana is a little iffy atm for me also, like what other ppl have said, he does not cover enough down the left but maybe he wont have to with the extra CM in there. Davis has been very poor in my eyes for us, jwp gives it all and thats what we need in the middle. I'd take a risky backlash but id drop Lallana and have Mayuka in there to try and get some much needed pace in there.

---------------------------- Boruc --------------------------------

Clyne ---------- Fonte --------------- Hooiveld -------------- Shaw

--------- Cork ---------- Schneiderlin ------------- JWP -----------

------------------ Ramirez --------- Lallana------------------------

-------------------------- Lambert --------------------------------

Subs: Gazza, Yoshida, Reeves, Mayuka, Seager, Rodriguez, Davis

this is the right side and the one that should have played on Monday last (if Cork was fit of course) Davis is poor and is turning all those around him into mediocre players as well. It's Lambert or JROd and certainly not both.

this is the right side and the one that should have played on Monday last (if Cork was fit of course) Davis is poor and is turning all those around him into mediocre players as well. It's Lambert or JROd and certainly not both.

we wont though...we will see loads of attackers on the pitch and as a result..we will concede and as such, heads will drop

------------------------------------Gazzaniga--------------------------------------

Clyne-----------------Yoshida----------------------------Hooiveld-------------Fox

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------------Ramirez--------------Lallana------------------------------

Mayuka-----------------------------Lambert-----------------------------Rodriguez

------------------------------------Gazzaniga--------------------------------------

Clyne-----------------Yoshida----------------------------Hooiveld-------------Fox

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------------Ramirez--------------Lallana------------------------------

Mayuka-----------------------------Lambert-----------------------------Rodriguez

That is without doubt the most strange line up I have seen for sometime

a team with a defence and an attack and no midfield I suppose it could confuse the opposition

But none of the others have worked so perhaps this one would work but I doubt that it will take the field

That is without doubt the most strange line up I have seen for sometime

a team with a defence and an attack and no midfield I suppose it could confuse the opposition

But none of the others have worked so perhaps this one would work but I doubt that it will take the field

Ramirez is a midfielder, so is Lallana with a front sweeper and three strikers interchanging in a 4123. Our defence needs a hand until we can get in a proper defensive midfielder, we don't need the sort of defending and lack of covering that has been available to date. The strikers and midfielders still have to close down. As you quite rightly say it won't happen as Adkins won't go there. Instead we will have the same old same old against Swansea and we won't have the ball either. No covering, vulnerable down the wings to pace and Schneiderlin ponceing about like a Chanel model. That'll work!

Ramirez is a midfielder, so is Lallana with a front sweeper and three strikers interchanging in a 4123. Our defence needs a hand until we can get in a proper defensive midfielder, we don't need the sort of defending and lack of covering that has been available to date. The strikers and midfielders still have to close down. As you quite rightly say it won't happen as Adkins won't go there. Instead we will have the same old same old against Swansea and we won't have the ball either. No covering, vulnerable down the wings to pace and Schneiderlin ponceing about like a Chanel model. That'll work!

As Gary Neville said on Monday Night, our defensive setup is adequate, there is little wrong with it. Teams are not steamrollering us - how many shots did Gazza have to save on Monday?

The problem is individual errors because the defenders aren't good enough, a midfield sweeper wouldnt have made Fox beat Odemwingie to tha ball, Fonte shrug of Long, Fox mark his winger, Jos not deflect balls into his own net, van Persie/Rio to have been marked at corners etc.

The idea that we tighten up by playing 5 attackers is ludicrous, and that is the reason NA wont use that formation.

Derry's boys, Swansea won't know what's hit them

......................... 1 Gazza .............................

............... 2 Clyne .................. 3 Fox ...............

....4 Font ........... 5 Yoshi ............ 6 Hoov ........

................ 8 GR ...............10 AL .....................

..7 Mayuka ......... 9 RL .................... 11 JRod ...

12 Puncheon (if we are going to allow substitutions)

The referee will be from Staffs and the linesman will be carrying orange and yellow flags.

Hopefully we will be in red and white striped jerseys, black shorts and red stockings,

Happy days.

Only tricking D, love your posts and your enthusiasm for all things SFC.

As Gary Neville said on Monday Night, our defensive setup is adequate, there is little wrong with it. Teams are not steamrollering us - how many shots did Gazza have to save on Monday?

The problem is individual errors because the defenders aren't good enough, a midfield sweeper wouldnt have made Fox beat Odemwingie to tha ball, Fonte shrug of Long, Fox mark his winger, Jos not deflect balls into his own net, van Persie/Rio to have been marked at corners etc.

The idea that we tighten up by playing 5 attackers is ludicrous, and that is the reason NA wont use that formation.

Agree, completely uneccessary line up Derry is suggesting and wouldn't solve any of our issues. We'd be narrow, have two isolated midfieders and a technically inferior player charged with starting our attacks.

Completely bizarre but I'm sure I'll be told that my opinion is strictly down to my inferior football knowledge.

Agree, completely uneccessary line up Derry is suggesting and wouldn't solve any of our issues. We'd be narrow, have two isolated midfieders and a technically inferior player charged with starting our attacks.

Completely bizarre but I'm sure I'll be told that my opinion is strictly down to my inferior football knowledge.

Add to that even less protection for the full backs unless the defensive sweeper is expected to cover the whole width of the pitch defensively at one time?

Interesting idea though - and agree it might be time to try something new.

Finally someone gets it, been saying for ages this is the formation we need to be playing although id have Gazza in goal, i dont trust Boruc. Lallana is a little iffy atm for me also, like what other ppl have said, he does not cover enough down the left but maybe he wont have to with the extra CM in there. Davis has been very poor in my eyes for us, jwp gives it all and thats what we need in the middle. I'd take a risky backlash but id drop Lallana and have Mayuka in there to try and get some much needed pace in there.

+1 Me and my mate have been saying this formation for weeks now it gives more protection to the back 4.

I personally would have Lambert as a CF/CAM,I know I will get laughed at but he seems to be dropping deeper and deeper and likes to drift to the left side,J-Rod up front on his own

For me my team would be

Gazza/Boruc

Clyne Fonte Maya Fox

Cork/Davis Morgan Lallana

Lambert Gaston

J-rod

I dont see the point in playing wingers/wide men when we clearly do not have anyone to do the job apart from Puncheon,we should try and play to our strengths

I would play this side, MS and Davis struggle to do anything at the moment so have to drop out. If you cant shield the back four, retain the ball or even create a chance then you need time back in training.

--------------Boruc------------

Clyne-----Fonte---Maya---Shaw

-----------JWP---Lallana--------

Puncheon---Ramirez----Mayuka

-------------Lambert-------------

Bench: Gazza, Fox, Hooiveld, Cork, Davis, Schneiderlin, Rodriguez

I would play this side, MS and Davis struggle to do anything at the moment so have to drop out. If you cant shield the back four, retain the ball or even create a chance then you need time back in training.

--------------Boruc------------

Clyne-----Fonte---Maya---Shaw

-----------JWP---Lallana--------

Puncheon---Ramirez----Mayuka

-------------Lambert-------------

Bench: Gazza, Fox, Hooiveld, Cork, Davis, Schneiderlin, Rodriguez

If you're worried about us not being able to shield the back four with 2 pretty defensive minded CM's, how do you think we'll get on with an attacking midfielder in CM with an 18 yr old. I wouldn't even play like that on FM !!

If you're worried about us not being able to shield the back four with 2 pretty defensive minded CM's, how do you think we'll get on with an attacking midfielder in CM with an 18 yr old. I wouldn't even play like that on FM !!

They are both ball retainers, you wont be able to play with confidence until the CBs and forwards believe you can retain the ball. Its fair enoug having two people who break up play but your mids at the moment dont, too often they are bypassed offensively and defensively. You need to play one of MS or Davis max,but both are so out of form id drop them both.

One of the things that Morgan and Davis are pretty good at is ball retention. They're not very good at getting stuck in and driving forwards like Mulumbu was the other night against us.

Admitably they both gave the ball away a fair bit on Monday night, but I don't think thats the problem, hence why we've had a lot of the ball in all our games. The problem is defensively, not when they have the ball.

As I'm not a fully paid member, i'm going to put a few words on this thread :)

Firstly the game against WBA was shocking, the sad thing was players clearly didn't want the ball.

Secondly you could tell adkins was under pressure on just the fact Gaston was rushed back into the starting eleven.

NA to me is a dead man walking, regardless of a win on saturday, I have a feeling we will scrap a point, but if Arry comes in and says he will take the job, then bye bye Adkins, IMO of course ;)

Add to that even less protection for the full backs unless the defensive sweeper is expected to cover the whole width of the pitch defensively at one time?

Interesting idea though - and agree it might be time to try something new.

You two clowns really take the biscuit. You show no real understanding of even an elementary level of tactics/formations involved in blending a team, yet you criticise and belittle a team formation that has been successfully used for years.

Gary Neville said that about an instant in time, then went on to hammer Schneiderlin, the same for the second goal and at the end descibed WBA as efficient and criticised our formation by saying he didn't understand what we were trying to do.

As for a front sweeper, how you can criticise the concept when you then demonstrate that you don't even understand what the player does by talking about covering the full backs.

The front sweeper covers across the whole width of the pitch and is either the first defender to try and block an attack or the first player to slot in and cover the first back four player that commits to block an attack leaving the defence compact. He also drops in behind as the circumstances dictate to cover for any gap that could occurr without the extra defender. Schneiderlin doesn't cover anyone neither does Davis but a proper defender or a proper defensive midfielder would, allowing for more attack minded midfielders which Schneiderlin and Davis aren't either.

Maybe you should learn a bit about the game before you start pontificating about something you clearly know little about.

Edited by derry

so, not even league 2 level...?

personally, I respect your opinion. but you could see why others dont when you talk down to them as if they know nothing of the game......

When they criticise something then display a lack of knowledge about the point they are criticising they demonstrate that they have a superficial understanding.

IMO the problem we have is a lack of defensive tackling in covering, yet we play two deep lying midfielders who neither defend or attack leaving our full backs especially exposed and create gaps that the central defenders struggle to cover.

IMO the problem we have is a lack of defensive tackling in covering, yet we play two deep lying midfielders who neither defend or attack leaving our full backs especially exposed and create gaps that the central defenders struggle to cover.

Would be interesting to know what Morgan really does given he covers more ground than any other prem footballer.

Would be interesting to know what Morgan really does given he covers more ground than any other prem footballer.

probably does a couple of fashion shows for Yves St Laurent and Christian LaCroix, at least when he's not putting in more tackles and interceptions than every other player in our side. Needs to clear off out of it to a side where he gets better support than from the useless Davis and the powder puff Lallana.

When they criticise something then display a lack of knowledge about the point they are criticising they demonstrate that they have a superficial understanding.

I think you should stop sniffing your own farts for a second so you realise that most people on here would say that your team selection is a joke.

I've been playing and watching football for nearly 30 years, enough to know that your formation is an absolute joke.

Edited by Dig Dig

My team for Saturday ...

Boruc (if available)

Clyne---------Fonte ------------ Yoshida ------------- Fox (its bound to happen)

Cork------------- Schniederlin-----------Guly (I think he would toughen up the left hand side as my reasoning)

Ramirez---------------Lallana

Lambert

I think we need to toughen up the midfield and Guly can put in a challenge on a good day and isn't a little powder puff midget. I'd like to see Morgan get forward a bit more so our mids aren't pulled right back against our defence so we have no out balls. I'd probably tell one of the CM's to sit in front of the defence so we don't end up playing a ridiculous 2-8 when we go forward and get caught out again like on Monday. I'd like to see GM and AL get a chance to show who is best in the 10 position! Gotta stick with Lambert I think as seems to be our only instinctive striker atm, a man who can take a chance if it comes about! As for Fox, utter garbage but I can't see Nige putting in Shaw for a full game. I suspect there is a key flaw in my plan that one of you cleverer people will pick out for me but hey nothing Nigels doing is coming out right either so I will be in good company ;-) My big worry is that Swansea play decent football and we'll get caught out trying to play them off the park :-( Desperately need a win COYR's!

I think you should stop sniffing your own farts for a second so you realise that most people on here would say that your team selection is a joke.

I've been playing and watching football for nearly 30 years, enough to know that your formation is an absolute joke.

I rest my case.