Swansea Build up

Thedelldays

I think when we're taking it to teams at home then it's fine to play like that. But when we're away, or against a better side where a draw would be a good result at home, play 3 in midfield with 2 wide players and 1 striker. Just means that Gaston will have to play wide, and he's the player who we need to be involved as much as possible.

He doesn't want to play wide, he's a number 10, why pay 15 million € for a number 10 and then try to play him wide, horses for courses. At best we need to go 4-4-1-1 with Lallana as the unique wide man aided and abetted by one of the CMs. Morgan looked very handy going down the right against Fulham actually, good speed, good running off the ball and good crossing. Pity Lambert whacked them all over the bar or wide.

We need to play a 3 man CM with proper CM's in there. 3 of Cork, Schneiderlen, Davis or JWP. One to sit a little deeper and hold. The others to play slightly wider and offer cover to the full backs.

We need to play 3 ahead of them to offer width and support the attack when possible. Quite what the best 3 is I'm unsure but I don't like the idea of squeezing the surplus man into one of the 3 CM roles just to accomodate him. If there ain't room for one or more of AL, RL, JR or GR then so be it.

Although I agree egg, and that will defeinitely help us out defensively, we're not going to drop Adam, or Gaston. And like someone else stated...we spent £12m on a 'no 10' who wants to play in behind the striker and get involved, he's going to want to play there. I don't know what the answer is but you can see why we keep making substitutions as we've got about 7 or 8 players to fit into 3 positions.

Although I agree egg, and that will defeinitely help us out defensively, we're not going to drop Adam, or Gaston. And like someone else stated...we spent £12m on a 'no 10' who wants to play in behind the striker and get involved, he's going to want to play there. I don't know what the answer is but you can see why we keep making substitutions as we've got about 7 or 8 players to fit into 3 positions.

Agreed. Playing gaston as a 10 would mean playing him behind 1 up top which forces us into a midfield 4 of some description, or a 10 behind 2 up top. The former leaves us light in the middle and the latter without width.

NA has to grow a pair and pick the best team for the job.

---------------Gazzaniga

Clyne-----Fonte-----Yoshida-----Shaw

-------------JWP-----Morgan

---------------Ramirez

Puncheon----------------------Lallana

--------------Rodriguez

Lambert, S.Davis, Cork, Fox, Hooiveld, Mayuka, Boruc

Swansea have some quick wingers and we could use Shaw's pace. Fox aint great and the kid needs to start somewhere.

Davis had a shocker against WBA, so he's out.

Midfield needs bodies in it but without being defensive and that works for me.

Lambert hasn't been at the races lately and he needs to take a back seat for a bit.

---------------Gazzaniga

Clyne-----Fonte-----Yoshida-----Shaw

-------------JWP-----Morgan

---------------Ramirez

Puncheon----------------------Lallana

--------------Rodriguez

Lambert, S.Davis, Cork, Fox, Hooiveld, Mayuka, Boruc

Swansea have some quick wingers and we could use Shaw's pace. Fox aint great and the kid needs to start somewhere.

Davis had a shocker against WBA, so he's out.

Midfield needs bodies in it but without being defensive and that works for me.

Lambert hasn't been at the races lately and he needs to take a back seat for a bit.

Lambert should never be dropped unless injured.

Stick with Shaw. I remember a fresh talent called Wayne Bridge playing at left back and also one Gareth Bale. Raw talent, but settled in very quickly. Fox is very one dimensional, only makes about 30% of his passes. Lallana has to be allowed to be creative and we cannot blame Fox inefficiencies on Lallana not always being there to support him.

Totally agree on Lambert. Even when he's not on song, he draws defenders away due to his work rate. Also defends well when we need him to. Ramirez and Lambert always cause defenders problems, which gives Rodriguez greater opportunity to get in on goal. In the end we have 2 teams, offense and defense. The offense are premiership quality on the majority of occasions, where as the defense are still in the championship. If we can get the defense to do their job and stop making mistakes, we will be able to go back to the pure passing game we have seen over the last few years and we will win games !

Stick with Shaw. I remember a fresh talent called Wayne Bridge playing at left back and also one Gareth Bale. Raw talent, but settled in very quickly. Fox is very one dimensional, only makes about 30% of his passes.

Yeah Shaw isn't ready, his 10 mins against WBA showed he's got a good tackle but no confidence to take up a position (seemed to be holding Yoshida's hand for most of those 10 mins).

Fox may well be poor positionally but we will loose and destroy Shaw sticking him in.

We need to play the same team for a couple of games and not chop about with the line up for once, little bit of consistency would do our confidence wonders!

That'll fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. People have made their minds up about fox.

To be fair, he was at fault for the 2nd goal. I think Lallana is terrible at offering protection, he drifts into the middle and follows the ball far too much. However, their 2nd goal had nothing to do with this.

To be fair, he was at fault for the 2nd goal.

Not really, that goal was the ultimate example of how to be properly hit on the break, one of the few times blame can only really be handed out to the team not scoring from the chance we created before they hoofed and scored.

Not often we concede a goal that is just a good bit of play but that was one of them. Seems a bit harsh to try and destroy one of Fox's better performances in the prem...

To be fair, he was at fault for the 2nd goal. I think Lallana is terrible at offering protection, he drifts into the middle and follows the ball far too much. However, their 2nd goal had nothing to do with this.

The winger is there to come away with the ball, not to go above and beyond to track the wwide runner. When Odemwingie comes inside, he should run into Schneiderlin, but he doesn't and gets the shot away. Why is that?

---------------Boruc

Clyne----Yoshida---Hooiveld---Shaw

Punch----Morgan---Cork-----Lallana

--------------Ramirez

--------------Lambert

Gazza, Stephens, Richardson, JWP, Lee, Mayuka, Rodriguez

K Davis, Fonte, Fox, S Davis and Guly shouldn't be near a PL squad from their performances this season.

The winger is there to come away with the ball, not to go above and beyond to track the wwide runner. When Odemwingie comes inside, he should run into Schneiderlin, but he doesn't and gets the shot away. Why is that?

The problem for me hasn't been the winger, the problem has been the overlapping full back, whether it's Gibbs or Walker or whoever. Even if the goal doesn't come directly from this the space created from the panic causes us nightmares.

I love Lallana but in defence this year I think he may have been trying too hard. He seems to want to either drift inside to help out, leaving space for the overlapping full back or he tries to close down quickly. Closing down seldom works at this level unless we are 'hunting in packs'. Compare this to Samaras last night who didn't really close down very much but was fantastically disciplined with his positioning.

Bear, I don't hate Fox much, my brother actually knows his dad and has met Fox a couple of times saying he is a good guy (Fox sat with the Saints fans against Everton). However, I still think he was at fault for the 2nd goal on Monday (although I admit it was a well worked break) and also for the goal we conceded against Villa, and Man City.

---------------Boruc

Clyne----Yoshida---Hooiveld---Shaw

Punch----Morgan---Cork-----Lallana

--------------Ramirez

--------------Lambert

Gazza, Stephens, Richardson, JWP, Lee, Mayuka, Rodriguez

K Davis, Fonte, Fox, S Davis and Guly shouldn't be near a PL squad from their performances this season.

Wow. Fonte has been our best CB so far this season, Guly has done a good job when called upon, Davis is our one player with a lot of prem experience and although he was crap on Monday he's not been that bad at all, Fox or a 16 yr old ?!,

He didn't come near enough to his comfort zone so he just let him go. The second important time he could have read the situation he didn't bother. If he doesn't block the critical ones he doesn't deserve to play, that's his only reason for being on the field, not for his penetrating passes, penetrating runs or goals he's the defensive midfielder we are all told. Well not for me. He can take his comfort zone back to France anytime he wants for me.

The problem for me hasn't been the winger, the problem has been the overlapping full back, whether it's Gibbs or Walker or whoever. Even if the goal doesn't come directly from this the space created from the panic causes us nightmares.

I love Lallana but in defence this year I think he may have been trying too hard. He seems to want to either drift inside to help out, leaving space for the overlapping full back or he tries to close down quickly. Closing down seldom works at this level unless we are 'hunting in packs'. Compare this to Samaras last night who didn't really close down very much but was fantastically disciplined with his positioning.

Bear, I don't hate Fox much, my brother actually knows his dad and has met Fox a couple of times saying he is a good guy (Fox sat with the Saints fans against Everton). However, I still think he was at fault for the 2nd goal on Monday (although I admit it was a well worked break) and also for the goal we conceded against Villa, and Man City.

Oh my god Tokyos now you're hating on Lallana as well! I'm getting really fed up with your ceaseless negativity and trolling!

That'll fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. People have made their minds up about fox.

You've got that right. If I live to be 100 you'll never convince me he is a Premiership quality defender.

Christ he was shown up last season in the Championship, how much evidence do you want ?

Why don't we try the christmas tree formation?

--------------- Gazza

Clyne-----Fonte-----Yoshida-----Fox

-----Cork-----Morgan------Davis

--------Lallana------Ramirez

-------------Lambert

Some smart Alec already suggested that formation as far back as post #12 ;)

You've got that right. If I live to be 100 you'll never convince me he is a Premiership quality defender.

Christ he was shown up last season in the Championship, how much evidence do you want ?

If you want to know why we are so poor down the left or want to someone to blame... you need to look at Lallana. That boy cannot track back to save his life. When Fox has to mark a player, usually the winger, Lallana needs to be tracking the wing back. However, he always gets caught ball watching before you know it the wing back is past him onto a ball down the touchline.

Really looking forward to Saturday. I'm expecting a wall of noise all game, just like the relegation battles at The Dell. If we go behind, we need to crank up the volume, just like v Blackburn during The Great Escape season. Hopefully twice as loud though as the capacity is double The Dell!

I know I know I sound like a broken record but I am going all Biesla on this formation, I think it looks awesome, I bought and played FM13 last night (1st time ever tried it) and smashed the team I was playing so it must work given how often its referenced here ;-).

Everything goes through gaston who would take the ball forward instead of the current pinging it about backwards and sideways we currently have and even if he lost it we still have 6 men behind the ball but I would expect to see more 1-2's with the Lallana/Mayuka/Ricky.

We have a spare centre back (Linchpin of Bielsa philosophy) in case the Swansea midfield looks to overload a position (something all the teams are doing usually down our left with a deep running midfielder)

We have 6 defensive positions (3 CB's and 2 WB's and 1 CM) instead of the 5 we have been following this season (4 backs + 1 DM) with 2 banks of 3 compressing that space leaving less holes.

The inside forwards and wing backs compress the space between them and I gave Mauyka the nod cos of pace and also due to lamberts habit of pulling into a wide right position Mayuka can then push into CF position when this occurs.

Apologies for the lines the indents were all over the shop

-----------------------------------Gazza

---------------------Fonte ------Hooiveld -------Yoshida

-----------------Clyne----------Spiderman-----------Shaw

---------------------------------Rameriez

-----------------Mayuka--------------------------Lallana

------------------------------- Lambert

"His willingness to play young players and fast track them to the first team was something held close to Bielsa. Also instilling a much more attacking mindset among his players, regardless of opposition and regardless of stadium. He would stick to the same style of play regardless of whether it was home or away."

Sound similar ?

3133.jpg

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/02/01/Marcelo-Bielsa-An-Enigma.aspx

Edited by Convict Colony

Hang about still reading the article and talking about his start with Bilbao last year it seems indentical to our start this year spooky !!

"It took a while for Bielsa to get a tune out of Bilbao. So much so, they went through their worst start to a league in 32 years after accumulating just 2 points from their first five games. It could have been six games had their match against Real not been postponed due to player strikes. It is common knowledge in La Liga that SociedadDeia. Here was a man with principles stauncher than most coming to team used to having one way of playing and attempting to change everything.

The players didn't initially warm to Bielsa and for good reason, his methods were so meticulous that many didn't understand. He was labelled a 'smoke-seller' by a few and his opposition was growing stronger with each game they failed to win. It seemed as though his radicalisation of Bilbao was occurring at too fast a pace and the support was growing impatient."