'ex saints and england legend' persona non grata

spyinthesky

The full page Crest Nicholson advert in the Newcastle programme for 'A Spectacular Launch Party', to promote the opening of the Empress Heights development, announces the attendance of a Special Guest - .....an 'Ex Saints & England Legend'......

I doubt very much if Crest Nicholson would be reluctant to announce to the world who this personality actually is.

So I guess someone with influence within the club has prevented the identity of the player being broadcast in the advert.

I am amazed that Crest Nicholson bowed to such pressure, if this was indeed the case.

On the one hand I am happy that we have a revitalised club and I am still buzzing after the performance on Sunday.

On the other hand the regular stories of high handed and disruptive behaviour permeating down from the upper echelons of the club hierarchy is really sad.

I do hope that, at some stage, sense will prevail and petty spats with suppliers, staff, some fans and ex players can be resolved.

We used to be known as a family club!!

The full page Crest Nicholson advert in the Newcastle programme for 'A Spectacular Launch Party', to promote the opening of the Empress Heights development, announces the attendance of a Special Guest - .....an 'Ex Saints & England Legend'......

I doubt very much if Crest Nicholson would be reluctant to announce to the world who this personality actually is.

So I guess someone with influence within the club has prevented the identity of the player being broadcast in the advert.

I am amazed that Crest Nicholson bowed to such pressure, if this was indeed the case.

On the one hand I am happy that we have a revitalised club and I am still buzzing after the performance on Sunday.

On the other hand the regular stories of high handed and disruptive behaviour permeating down from the upper echelons of the club hierarchy is really sad.

I do hope that, at some stage, sense will prevail and petty spats with suppliers, staff, some fans and ex players can be resolved.

:facepalm:

No, the advert is worded like that so as to engage as much interest as possible. People will be thinking it's Le Tiss, Shearer, Channon, Keegan etc...when in reality it will probably be Le Saux, Beattie or some such.

:facepalm:

No, the advert is worded like that so as to engage as much interest as possible. People will be thinking it's Le Tiss, Shearer, Channon, Keegan etc...when in reality it will probably be Le Saux, Beattie or some such.

It is definately MLT otherwise I think the personality would have been named.

I may be wrong but I believe MLT remains a bigger marketing pull in this area than the other names you mention.

Errr..no one is denying that.

But Saint Clark is right.

It's probably David Armstrong.

It is definately MLT otherwise I think the personality would have been named.

I may be wrong but I believe MLT remains a bigger marketing pull in this area than the other names you mention.

You're right, he is. And that's why they want people to think it's Le Tiss by not actually naming him.

No definately MLT according to the Crest Nicholson website

Why would they announce it there but not in the programme?

Smacks very much of censorship, similar to the pulling of the programme for the Southend game and also the minimal mention of Alan Pardew in Sunday's programme.

I am not saying this sort of 'control freak' behaviour is unique to SFC.

I just wish the club could embrace the past rather than airbrush parts of it out of sight for personal reasons

No definately MLT according to the Crest Nicholson website

Why would they announce it there but not in the programme?

Smacks very much of censorship, similar to the pulling of the programme for the Southend game and also the minimal mention of Alan Pardew in Sunday's programme.

I am not saying this sort of 'control freak' behaviour is unique to SFC.

I just wish the club could embrace the past rather than airbrush parts of it out of sight for personal reasons

Don't you think it weird that this is your first thought on the matter? Not only that, but you have to go to such lengths to share this 'info'. Surprised if you don't get a call soon, you and Turkish constantly perpetuating these myths without so much as a shred of evidence. Maybe you're trying to get this site shut down, certainly going about it in the right way!

Either way, he advert has worked....you're all talking about it.

Of it had said MLT is attending, no one would have batted an eye lid at it, let alone start a thread about it.

Agree with this.

If anything it's clever marketing rather than some conspiracy....but what do I know...?

Don't you think it weird that this is your first thought on the matter? Not only that, but you have to go to such lengths to share this 'info'. Surprised if you don't get a call soon, you and Turkish constantly perpetuating these myths without so much as a shred of evidence. Maybe you're trying to get this site shut down, certainly going about it in the right way!

John,

What 'myth' am I accused of... 'constantly perpetuating'..?

I have expressed a sense of disappointment about an assumed act of censorship which ties in with the treatment of MLT and other ex Saints by the club under the current set up.

Do you really think my comment will REALLY affect the future of this site?

I am very thankful for the investment put into the club recently but I prefer not to look at the matter with rose tinted glasses as there are so many disturbing stories emanating from people who have suffered from the rather dictatorial attitude prevailing within the upper echelons of our club.

Goodwill is an extremely important aspect of most businesses.

If, collectively, we do not debate and challenge some of the issues about how the club is run, we are no different to the fans further along the South Coast who seemed to believe every positive snippet of information they were fed.

You read my mind!

John,

I have expressed a sense of disappointment about an assumed act of censorship which ties in with the treatment of MLT and other ex Saints by the club under the current set up.

I am very thankful for the investment put into the club recently but I prefer not to look at the matter with rose tinted glasses as there are so many disturbing stories emanating from people who have suffered from the rather dictatorial attitude prevailing within the upper echelons of our club.

If, collectively, we do not debate and challenge some of the issues about how the club is run, we are no different to the fans further along the South Coast who seemed to believe every positive snippet of information they were fed.

they-live-alien.jpg

Saints legend is one thing; England legend is another. But Saints AND England legend? Probably poorly-worded. I can't think of too many players still around who fit that bill.

Peter Shilton? Kevin Keegan? Channon?

I think you're reading too much into it - the advert would have been organised weeks ago - MLT probably hadn't firmed up and they had another on standby.

Clearly you conspiracy theorists have far too much time on their hands.

I think this, if Matt Le Tiss pulled out they probably had Le Saux or someone lined up.

John,

OK, just show us the evidence that what you are saying is true and worthy of debate. Because without any truth to your accusation, there is no debate. Unless, of course you are just mud slining just in case some sticks!

I await your proof, until then, i'll shelve this under 'myth'.

John,

But there is nothing to debate - other than your assertio,n for which you have produced no evidence, that there is some sinister significance to the wording of an advert for a commercial company in the programme. Not news. Not interesting. Sorry actually to everyone that I have even been lulled into replying.

2+2=5

Seems like OP may be just muck-raking and basing suggestions on no evidence. The advert in the programme says "ex Saints and England Legend" while on the web site there is no mention of England or even Legend. If I had read "ex Saints and England Legend" and gone along to find MLT then I may have complained to the Trading Standards folks. MLT is of course a Saints Legend, but an England Legend? Please. 8 caps does not a legend make, about as much of an England legend as Beattie (5 caps). I would have assumed from the programme advert that it would have been Channon, Shilts, Keegan or even Paine (a few others would also fit that billing). MLT would not have crossed my mind. Just wondering if one of these was originally lined up and have since had to cancel and now been replaced by "Saints Player" Matt Le Tissier. Just as plausible a scenario as that put forward by OP, but I offer no evidence to back up my theory, as seems to be the modus operandi on this mong board

OK, just show us the evidence that what you are saying is true and worthy of debate. Because without any truth to your accusation, there is no debate. Unless, of course you are just mud slining just in case some sticks!

I await your proof, until then, i'll shelve this under 'myth'.

John,

I thought one of the purposes of this forum was for discussion, debate and opinions.

My opinion, based on a number of factors, is that the club could, and should, do more to foster good relations with ex players, staff and suppliers and the programme advert issue may well be a symptom of an unnecessary feud with a well respected ex player.

However I accept that, on this occasion, the groundswell of opinion from other posters contradicts my view and I will withdraw beaten but not bowed.

btw I am pretty certain that the current club philosophy could well change within the next 2 years.

John,

I thought one of the purposes of this forum was for discussion, debate and opinions.

My opinion, based on a number of factors, is that the club could, and should, do more to foster good relations with ex players, staff and suppliers and the programme advert issue may well be a symptom of an unnecessary feud with a well respected ex player.

However I accept that, on this occasion, the groundswell of opinion from other posters contradicts my view and I will withdraw beaten but not bowed.

btw I am pretty certain that the current club philosophy could well change within the next 2 years.

Things are going a little better at the moment. Lets get a bit David Icke and look for a conspiracy that isnt there. Fool.

If I was advertising (which being in marketing, I often find myself doing) I wouldn't accept censorship, but then I wouldn't have time to even look at the ad.

Of course, Cortese with a football club to run, millionnaires to manage, mulit-million pound unsecured debt to service, team to select, babies to eat, horses to decapitate, fans to alienate, ticket tax to collect, probably has all the time in the world to approve a £250 advertisement in the programme...

The advert in the programme says "ex Saints and England Legend" while on the web site there is no mention of England or even Legend.

As per the link Trousers provided above, it clearly states Le Tissier is the Special Guest (if you read the banner at the top)

http://www.crestnicholson.com/empressheights/latestnews/Firsttime-buyers-in-Southampton-given-a-helping-hand-from-Crest-Nicholson/

Of course, my post above is completely irrelevant and I can't read properly and I wish I could delete or edit my posts!!

Anyway, I agree that the "Legend" bit is misleading. But the OP's point and fear is a bit ridiculous! It's clearly just advertising jargon, or as someone else pointed out, doen in advance of Le Tiss confirming.

Mods, can we merge this with the 7th minute applause thread? They are both equally brilliant and earnestly head-mental.

I shall be making my first visit to St Marys tomorrow, despite a chest infection. So after I have coughed all over one of the model wannabes, I will check the programme for any signs of Cortese vengeance for the benefit of spyinthesky and the others in the Tinfoil crew.

Err why would the developer pay for an advert in the programme if he had little edatorial control over what it said? I dont think there are queues of people waiting in turn to advertise there. I would hazard a guess that the programme commercial team are desperate to attract any sort of advert and would not be shooting themselves in the foot by super intrusive editing! They could have pulled it and put it in the echo instead!

Also I would hazard another guess that NC has far more important things to do with his time than proof read potential adverts for every match programme.

So I cant see any hard evidence of this conspiracy or indeed even any circumstantial evidence.