Booing of Guly

Wiggles31

they all saw that goal at Fratton Park though on the TV. Amazing how mistakes made in TV games shapes opinions of players. Fonte's error at Boro on TV swayed the general opinion on here that he had a poor season last year, which of course he didn't.

The goal at Fratton was primarily Lallana's fault in wandering off and leaving the scorer unmarked. Sometimes people see what they want to see don't they?

I think there has been an exaggeration at the level of booing brought about perhaps by a tv mike in the wrong place. I am on the edge of the Northam and although there were a few groans and muttering when he appeared on the touchline they were drowned by the subsequent chant for his name. No Saints player should be booed before hand - at the final whistle maybe if it is deserved.

I too heard precious little (if any) audible booing of this player from Block 19. But with quite so many on here firmly astride their 'high horse' now, I think inconvenient truths such as that are unlikely to force many of the outraged to dismount ....

I too heard precious little (if any) audible booing of this player from Block 19. But with quite so many on here firmly astride their 'high horse' now, I think inconvenient truths such as that are unlikely to force many of the outraged to dismount ....

Could be earwax. Try using a cotton bud.

He played well when he came on but we were all surprised/disappointed that he came on in the first place.

Booing though? What idiots.

You may have been surprised and disappointed, Colin. But neither I nor any of the lads I was with were. In fact I thought it was a good subsitution at the time, and so it proved. Rodriguez had been all sorts of average but he put in a decent shift and was tiring. We were 1-0 up and just needed to hold out; Guly gave us an option to hold the ball up and give more of an outlet. He played well, and got himself into a brilliant position where he could/should have scored, but the keeper did well.

I don't know what people expect from Guly. He's not good enough to start (but then neither is Rodriguez IMO) but he's good enough as a squad player as he can replace any of Lallana, Puncheon, Lambert or Rogriguez to a decent degree.

Would have preferred Mayuka coming on but thought Guly played very well. Sad some fans decided to boo but I'd never give one of our own players grief!

Mayuka is the one to bring on when you are chasing the game. We were trying to see it out so Guly was the right substitution.

You may have been surprised and disappointed, Colin. But neither I nor any of the lads I was with were. In fact I thought it was a good subsitution at the time, and so it proved. Rodriguez had been all sorts of average but he put in a decent shift and was tiring. We were 1-0 up and just needed to hold out; Guly gave us an option to hold the ball up and give more of an outlet. He played well, and got himself into a brilliant position where he could/should have scored, but the keeper did well.

I don't know what people expect from Guly. He's not good enough to start (but then neither is Rodriguez IMO) but he's good enough as a squad player as he can replace any of Lallana, Puncheon, Lambert or Rogriguez to a decent degree.

Yes, his versatility is a key part of his appeal. Unfortunately he has a habit of being frighteningly inconsistent. Thankfully it was Guly at his best yesterday. For the impact he had he would have been good value for a goal but sadly his shot was straight at Federici.

Just before the substitution my friend and I were discussing how impressed we had been with Rodriguez, his movement and work rate had kept Reading more then occupied, that Guly could more then match up to that was a great relief.

I agree, it really isn't that complicated... which makes the booing even harder to understand...

Would argue with this, some of his play was actually quite spectacular, the shot from the left corner of the pen would have been amazing if it had been 6 inches lower, and some of his lay-offs and movement were very good. Had a great view from the Itchen/Chapel corner, maybe if you were in the Northam you would not have seen some of the intricate footwork.

Was watching via a web stream here i Denmark, so a decidedly worse view than yours at St. Mary's ;)

It is absurd for peopel to boo any Saints player coming on to the pitch - personally i think they are beyond contempt and i do not regard them as real Saints fans at all.

I have had my criticisms of Guly in the past but yesterday he did very well when he came on and looked sharp - some lovely touches and runs.

You do know there are other managers that exist. Your obsession with Hoddle is quite worrying sometimes. Have you ever stopped to consider that actually Hoddle is not very good, as he has demonstrated by not being a manager now for several years. Hoddle's success was based on a working partnership with John Gorman. Take JG out of the equation and Hoddle is poor (likewise JG without GH is poor as well). It was a very good thing that Hoddle did not return in 2004, it would have been a disaster. He also showed himself to be a thoroughly dislikeable person through his lack of respect and his comments about disabled people (and other things he spouted off about). Nasty piece of work, hopefully we will never see him again connected with Saints. But please carry on with your obsession, it is often entertaining.

Hope you enjoyed your part in bringing the club to its knees. I see Wurzel is proving to be a top class manager in the higher echelons. It is laughable that he was appointed instead of Hoddle ! BTW I am not obsessed, just determined that certain fans do not airbrush history !

Let's hope the yo-yo strategy works out, hey?

Firstly, we need to be relegated, obviously....

Er....the yoyo strategy is called forward planning. It is in place IF we get relegated. That makes us different from that basket case down the road ! Now, please pay attention !

It's further proof, if it was needed that there are some real idiots in our fan base. Like someone else said these "fans" probably worship Steve De Ridder.

The same ones that barracked the appointment of Hoddle in 2004 and yes they do post on here, although they will now deny they were part of the Guly booing. Same as they deny their moronic behaviour in 2004. I have spent nearly 10 years winkling them out and will continue for the next 10

Hope you enjoyed your part in bringing the club to its knees. I see Wurzel is proving to be a top class manager in the higher echelons. It is laughable that he was appointed instead of Hoddle ! BTW I am not obsessed, just determined that certain fans do not airbrush history !

You are obsessed. You do not listen to reasoned argument, which is a classic sign of obsession. You just don't understand that Hoddle without Gorman would have likely been a total disaster - there is a reason why Hoddle no longer manages teams. I don't think anyone who didn't want Hoddle back had anything to do with bringing the club to its knees, Lowe managed to do that without help from many others, and as a result we are where we are today which is a much better place than we would have been if Lowe had still been in charge. Who is Wurzle by the way? If you are referring to Paul Sturrock, at least he still has a job in competitive professional football, currently in the top 6 in League 2, and this despite suffering from Parkinsons. A nicer, genuine, loyal bloke, would be a good role model for a nasty human being like Hoddle.

The same ones that barracked the appointment of Hoddle in 2004 and yes they do post on here, although they will now deny they were part of the Guly booing. Same as they deny their moronic behaviour in 2004. I have spent nearly 10 years winkling them out and will continue for the next 10

I think the linking of these two things is about as far-fetched as it is possible to be. People who boo Guly - meatheads & morons who do not understand football. People who did not want Hoddle back in 2004, knowledgeable people with a sense of decency and understanding of football.

I think the linking of these two things is about as far-fetched as it is possible to be. People who boo Guly - meatheads & morons who do not understand football. People who did not want Hoddle back in 2004, knowledgeable people with a sense of decency and understanding of football.

I think your first sentence probably does prove it.

The only people around us who grumbled about Guly and can never ever see anything he does well fell into one of two catergories:

1) Mindless knucklehead sheep who love a scapegoat figure

2) Idiot kids along for the premiership ride who have forgotten what a difference Guly has made in other divisions

He did excellently when he came on. This is fact.

Dalek is not getting rinsed by Vectis. I would say that Vectis is desperately trying to deflect the argument away from the part he played in the downfall of the club.

Just out of interest, and to humour your silly little crusade. What did you do at the time; to try to ensure that Glenn Hoddle was appointed? Actively, I mean? What did you actually do to try to ensure the club appointed him?

Just out of interest, and to humour your silly little crusade. What did you do at the time; to try to ensure that Glenn Hoddle was appointed? Actively, I mean? What did you actually do to try to ensure the club appointed him?

:lol: Perhaps Dalek reminded them of some of Hoddles’s more memorable results as Saints' manager:

Tottenham 7-2 Saints

Man Utd 5-0 Saints

Saints 0-1 Coventry (League Cup)

Tranmere 4-3 HT 0-3!!! (FA Cup)

…or some of his more memorable signings:

Rosler

Petrescue

El Khalej

Draper

…or some of his more memorable quotes:

‘Beattie is not a Premiership striker’

‘Owen is not a natural goalscorer’

‘Beckham hasn’t got the skill-set to take freekicks’

…or some of the baggage that came with him:

Drewery

Roach

Gorman

…or his loyalty record:

Swindon dumped for Chelsea

Chelsea dumped for England

Saints dumped for Tottenham

…or his extreme arrogance:

Blaming and freezing out certain players

Using football as a platform to spout his odious religious views

Perhaps, despite reminding them of all this, the club felt that following his sack at Tottenham in 2003, Hoddle’s career in football had been reduced to plying his trade with other failed managers on the TV circuit. Perhaps they were surprised when Wolves gave the ‘dead man talking’ a chance to resurrect his career; perhaps they weren’t surprised when even that ended in predictable failure.

I don't think the Guly negativity is a small minority, nor do I think that there is any hope that it will change. Admittedly Guly didn't have a good season last year, but struggled most of the time, playing in one position or another after losing his role as striking partner to RL. The constant boos and sighs didn't help his confidence a lot either. I thought he did well yesterday, but it probably isn't the point. I can't imagine what he could do to turn things around. I remember him being a revelation a long time ago, but I can't see that it will happen again. Sadly I don't think the boo boys will ever let him be appreciated.

I think that most people on here have me down as a Guly lovee. He is not the greatest player that we have but neither is he the worst. Those mindless morons that booed him yesterday are despicable. His contribution when he came on was valuable. He did what he was asked to do. Those "sheep" that followed the "Guly is ****" mantra are not worth thinking about.

:lol: Perhaps Dalek reminded them of some of Hoddles’s more memorable results as Saints' manager:

Tottenham 7-2 Saints

Man Utd 5-0 Saints

Saints 0-1 Coventry (League Cup)

Tranmere 4-3 HT 0-3!!! (FA Cup)

…or some of his more memorable signings:

Rosler

Petrescue

El Khalej

Draper

…or some of his more memorable quotes:

‘Beattie is not a Premiership striker’

‘Owen is not a natural goalscorer’

‘Beckham hasn’t got the skill-set to take freekicks’

…or some of the baggage that came with him:

Drewery

Roach

Gorman

…or his loyalty record:

Swindon dumped for Chelsea

Chelsea dumped for England

Saints dumped for Tottenham

…or his extreme arrogance:

Blaming and freezing out certain players

Using football as a platform to spout his odious religious views

Perhaps, despite reminding them of all this, the club felt that following his sack at Tottenham in 2003, Hoddle’s career in football had been reduced to plying his trade with other failed managers on the TV circuit. Perhaps they were surprised when Wolves gave the ‘dead man talking’ a chance to resurrect his career; perhaps they weren’t surprised when even that ended in predictable failure.

But other than all that, he's pretty good, no?

but we were all surprised/disappointed that he came on in the first place.

no we ALL weren't.

I actually thought Adkins might have brought him on for Lallana earlier, seeing as he played left midfield at West Ham earlier in the season and did a good job. Ramirez on the other hand was **** poor when moved out wide at WBA. Not every Saints fan is surprtised or disappointed when he comes on. When he has slotted into the middle of midfield (his actual position) he has done a good job, keeping the ball and passing it well.

no we ALL weren't.

I actually thought Adkins might have brought him on for Lallana earlier, seeing as he played left midfield at West Ham earlier in the season and did a good job. Ramirez on the other hand was **** poor when moved out wide at WBA. Not every Saints fan is surprtised or disappointed when he comes on. When he has slotted into the middle of midfield (his actual position) he has done a good job, keeping the ball and passing it well.

Which he did again very well yesterday.

that's the point. For most people it was such an obvious choice, that it was almost guaranteed to go ahead. It would have done as well, had it not been for the mouthy few spooking the board and then appointing the wholly inadequate Sturrock as a panic move.

The whole apple cart was upset and the rest is history.

that's the point. For most people it was such an obvious choice, that it was almost guaranteed to go ahead. It would have done as well, had it not been for the mouthy few spooking the board and then appointing the wholly inadequate Sturrock as a panic move.

Where did you get this 'most people' idea from? In Norwich?

So you did absolutely nothing to make sure that he got the job? Despite the vocal opposition from some fans for him to not get the job, you did nothing at all? Is that fair to say?

Message to Halo, check out our points ratio under Hoddle and our position in the PREMIER LEAGUE when he left.

Also, Hoddle was a very good England manager and was sacked for non footballing reasons that he did apologise for, quite rightly.

We were in a decent position at the time. Hoddle, quite unexpectedly, sent the team off on a break at an important part of the season. Spurs had assured everyone that they were going to appoint a new manager over the close season. GH assured everyone that he was staying at Saints but held talks with Spurs while the team were away on the break. GH was offered, and took the Spurs job, probably because they had an FA Cup semi at Wembley. Hoddle did not return to the club and sent John Gorman to pick up his stuff and say goodbye to the squad. The man has no principals and for that reason I did not want him back.

Message to Halo, check out our points ratio under Hoddle and our position in the PREMIER LEAGUE when he left.

Also, Hoddle was a very good England manager and was sacked for non footballing reasons that he did apologise for, quite rightly.

Hoddle’s win ratio was one percentage point better than Burley’s; why don’t you campaign to get him back as well?

Dalek, you’re like a bloke who bangs on about how good his wife was, how much he's struggled without her and how much he’d like her back again, whilst conveniently ignoring the fact she left him in the lurch in the first place by f****** off with some other guy! :rolleyes:

Guly needs to watch n learn from Punch

Punch was hated but has turned it around quicktime

This just sums up the whole arrogance of the non-knowledgable, follow the crowd, jump off a cliff, lemming type 'supporter'.

So, you're booing Guly because he wants to play Prem first team football and thinks he's too good for us do you? Brilliant, just brilliant.

Next...