Support today

Saint Garrett

Nobody is wrong in this thread...if you sit right at the front or right at the back invariably you don't hear most of the atmosphere because of the shape of modern stadiums. The abuse and hostility is ridiculous.

However, the people who kept looking round at me, giving me funny looks and shaking their heads when me and the group I was with tried to get/keep chants going - what's up with that?

Also, if the chap stood next to the steps in row F, wearing the green jumper, gets to read this, don't start slagging off Northerners so much when 4 of them are stood next to you. My son, who you really wouldn't want to mess with, was disappointed that you moved for the 2nd half, he was looking forward to correcting your opinion.

FAO the 'fan' in seat 129 of Row DD today, your continuous racial harassment of Ali Al-Habsi during the second half made me ashamed to support Saints.

Quick note on things like this...if it bothers you that much then why not tell them to pipe the f*ck down at the time? And before anyone says anything, yes I have done so myself in the past. If they're acting like a knob and then try kicking off when you pick them up on it, you'll have thousands of decent Saints fans backing you up.

Just my opinion. Just because we're in the prem doesn't mean we have to judge ourselves by how poor the support is in this league. Loud when we scored but that was it. I'm sure there must be some that agree....or maybe I'm just in the wrong...

You were there and I wasnt so I can't say you are in the wrong but watching on line it sounded very loud. Really.

Quick note on things like this...if it bothers you that much then why not tell them to pipe the f*ck down at the time? And before anyone says anything, yes I have done so myself in the past. If they're acting like a knob and then try kicking off when you pick them up on it, you'll have thousands of decent Saints fans backing you up.

Actually I did. Several times. Each time I was met with a swift '**** Off you ****' and threats of physical violence. Wasn't backed up at all and considering he was about 6ft and 18st, he'd probably have crushed me.

Lots of tweets about our yoof causing bother after the game, throwing bricks at families with kids. also mentioned here http://thisnorthernsoul.co.uk/index.php/forum/5-general-chat/29630-fighting-after-the-game

anyone throw any light on it?

You can read 2 different Wigan forums and get 2 different viewpoints...

First:

"After the game 50 or so southampton hooligans aged between 20 and 40 ish decidied to mount sustained attacks on Wigan families going over the canal bridge. This lasted some 10 minutes in which many Wigan fans trying to climb the stairs to get over the bridge including me got thumped.

Many of those crossing the bridge were mums and dads with children under the age of ten who were in hysterics.

The route from the stadium to the bridge and around the bridge on both sides is normally heavily policed but today there were absolutely none around."

Second:

"was right at the front of all this and although Southampton fans were doing their bit to cause mayhem there were a few wiganers doing their best to cause havoc as well. As the southampton fans started shouting quite a few lads pushed past me shouting lets get them in the canal. quite a few wiganers on the bridge were doing their best to goad them spitting and throwing coins started from the bridge and yes it wasn't pleasant for the families. at one point the southampton fans stood in a line and let those of us who weren't goading them and the kids carry on up the bridge."

One says (the usual in these situations) "it was all them attacking families" yet their hooligans valiantly saved the day against the odds.

The other suggests theirs started it, came unstuck and caused their own fans with kids to get involved...but read the last line of the Wigan poster's comments.

Second:

"was right at the front of all this and although Southampton fans were doing their bit to cause mayhem there were a few wiganers doing their best to cause havoc as well. As the southampton fans started shouting quite a few lads pushed past me shouting lets get them in the canal. quite a few wiganers on the bridge were doing their best to goad them spitting and throwing coins started from the bridge and yes it wasn't pleasant for the families. at one point the southampton fans stood in a line and let those of us who weren't goading them and the kids carry on up the bridge."

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=558&fid=516&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113295759

You can read 2 different Wigan forums and get 2 different viewpoints...

First:

"After the game 50 or so southampton hooligans aged between 20 and 40 ish decidied to mount sustained attacks on Wigan families going over the canal bridge. This lasted some 10 minutes in which many Wigan fans trying to climb the stairs to get over the bridge including me got thumped.

Many of those crossing the bridge were mums and dads with children under the age of ten who were in hysterics.

The route from the stadium to the bridge and around the bridge on both sides is normally heavily policed but today there were absolutely none around."

Second:

One says (the usual in these situations) "it was all them attacking families" yet their hooligans valiantly saved the day against the odds.

The other suggests theirs started it, came unstuck and caused their own fans with kids to get involved...but read the last line of the Wigan poster's comments.

Considering we were kept in the gound for 5 or 10 minutes after the game I think (unless most of us were just very slow at leaving...), it would have neen difficult for or fans to go and wait for them. When we were crossing over the canal bridge (I assume there's only one bridge they're talking about), there were a group of about 20 Wigan fans no older than about 12-15 years old hurling abuse and throwing things at Saints fans on the bridge. Eventually a couple of policemen came, along with one of the kids mums (no joke) and they scurried off pretty quickly. Other than that I didn't see anything.

Why don't you actually go to the games then, instead of moaning about it on here?

I was there...I'm a STH in the Kingsland/Northam corner and I've been to loads on games in the last few years. Hence me saying on here that our support weren that great. There were occasions when It was very good. But for me, our singing didnt last long enough. For our numbers I just feel like we should have been a lot louder. Maybe it was where I was sitting....(row U seat 70) but really didnt think it was all that. If It sounded good on the radio then likelihood is that they had mic's by our fans.

Anyway, alright bunch Wigan. Didnt see any bother and had a decent chat with a wiganer on the walk back to the station...another fan saying how good we are and won't go down....yet at the moment we're still looking like relegation battle rather than pushing on.

its all about where you are in the ground.

thought where we were it was ok,a few smoke bombs,some great singing.

if people around you dont wanna get invoved in the singing there's not alot you can do.

thank god we dont have a drummer,nothing more annoying than that all game,till he left with about five minutes to go

Considering the number of peope who were there, we were pretty quiet. I've experienced worse, though.

On a related note, why do people still insist on angrily shouting 'get it forward' every time we play more than two passes backwards or sideways? It's moronic.

Considering the number of peope who were there, we were pretty quiet. I've experienced worse, though.

On a related note, why do people still insist on angrily shouting 'get it forward' every time we play more than two passes backwards or sideways? It's moronic.

Probably because a lot of them haven't been for the last few years and we've now become accustomed to the possession football we play!

Actually I did. Several times. Each time I was met with a swift '**** Off you ****' and threats of physical violence. Wasn't backed up at all and considering he was about 6ft and 18st, he'd probably have crushed me.

Haha. 6ft and 18stone? He'd have moved like a slow bear.

Did anyone see the altercation between a younger bloke in a hoodie with a Saints shirt over it and wearing glasses and an older bloke in a baseball cap? (Around row EE, FF, Seat 70 or so)

Just before half time the older bloke was giving the lad (who was directly behind him) both barrels for some reason, then during the second half the group of lads the younger guy was involved with looked to be on the verge of attacking him. They were holding each other back.

It was absolutely bizarre.

Why say anything to their face when you can say it on here from behind your keyboard.

Also, if the chap stood next to the steps in row F, wearing the green jumper, gets to read this, don't start slagging off Northerners so much when 4 of them are stood next to you. My son, who you really wouldn't want to mess with, was disappointed that you moved for the 2nd half, he was looking forward to correcting your opinion.

That was me and my mate (not me in the green). Go to any game involving South vs North teams and you'll get stuff like that. I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about it.

to be fair i would have thought this is the best time to start having a pop at Northerners, when they are stood next to you, so you can get your point across, like. You should have set your whippet on the chap and cuffed him around the back of his head with your flat cap. That would've learned him.

If you're referring to me and my mate in the green top down at the bottom of block 3, not once did we hear from any fans complaining to us personally about what we were saying. If you had a problem with us, you could've come and talked to us about it. We're nice lads really. Besides, it's only a bit of banter, not worth getting worked up over.

We moved to the top of block 2 to go and stand with our mates in the second half, mainly because the atmosphere was so sh!t where we were. I tried to start dozens of chants in the first half but only 1 or 2 actually caught on. You can try and be sanctimonius about what people say and do at football, but ultimately if you're not contributing to the atmosphere you haven't got a right to have a go at others who are.

EDIT: Just realised you were talking about the Al-Habsi abuse, not me and my mate. Apologies. Racism is too far, regardless of who the player is!

Edited by SuperMikey

That was me and my mate (not me in the green). Go to any game involving South vs North teams and you'll get stuff like that. I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about it.

It helps that northerners have similarly stereotypical views about those from the south, some of which seemed to be justified yesterday.

It helps that northerners have similarly stereotypical views about those from the south, some of which seemed to be justified yesterday.

I went up north once..it was grim, people were stuck in the 80s, there were horses running through council estates and the kids had odd shoes on

I doubt I will go back for a social visit

Were you stood right on the end of block F? If so, we were in block E just across from you. Would your mate be slightly on the portly side?

Were you stood right on the end of block F? If so, we were in block E just across from you. Would your mate be slightly on the portly side?[/QUOTE]

That'll be Mikey.

I am currently listening to ms pap go off on one about these boys.

That was us, yup. We're both rather on the portly side, as Turkish correctly assumed. I hold it better than him though ;)

Yeah, she wasn't impressed. In particular, she felt that you had a sizeable front (literally and figuratively) when composing chants concerning the fitness of players. Another complaint was lack of imagination; northern this or that. Both she and the 13 year old daughter were bemused by the relevance of the three word wonder "f**k your wife".

As I've often done on here, I defended you. "Ah, they're a couple of monkeys who can't handle their beer", so no worries there, Mikey.