Minutes Silence for Thatcher?

Born In The 80s

Jeez for a bloke who has admitted that he was 4 when Maggie came to power, you certainly are having a lot of fun with this subject matter.

I have been through the towns decimated by the closing of the highest employer be it steel, coal, cars. I had to try and sell my wares in those towns I was in my very early twenties, it was pretty bloody depressing to do and see. But hey I lived in the "affluent" south of England I could escape I could trundle home to "normality". I felt for those people, but being one of Maggies Children I am probably to some a bit of a hard faced bastard when it comes to self preservation, when I got kicked severely in the nuts I did what the Chingford Skinhead said and got on my bike and did something about it, but that didn't stop me feeling for the poor sods who did not have the opportunities or didn't know where those opportunities were to escape the vortex they were in.

Negative equity and soaring interest rates that saw letter for the next mortgage payment that was nearly as much as my monthly salary before I had even thought about eating, all in Maggies tenure, and as a result of the actions of her governments policies. Did anyone give a toss at my plight the, cold sweats, the fear of losing my house: No. Was I luckier with the opportunities available to me compared to those who had lost the only way of life they had known for years: Too bloody right.................... Hey I can't hide from it but I certainly dont need someone questioning my solidarity with other peoples suffering.

Just as footnote my Father was from a Coal mining Family not a million miles from your stated location, they were private mines that the NUM tried to interfere with to no avail, but the fall out from the closures and cheap imports saw them eventually close prematurely, so my empathy runs a little deeper than you realise................. blimey I got lucky there too as I was en-route into the that side of the families line of work until I got nudged in another direction.

The legacy of Thatcher is still being felt in the North and South Wales and other parts of the Country, as a Southerner who has to travel around I see the wastelands she let happen under he tenure, for a person that was supposed to watch out for the whole of the UK she did a good job of ignoring and razing to the ground parts of it.

As long as the Southerners can buy their own homes and clean their cars on a Sunday all is good though.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

She was no fan of football.

She was no fan of the football fan.

Her involvement in the Hillsborough cover up demonstrates both these points.

Therefore, a football match is not the place to mark her passing.

(BTW, has anyone seen the Bernard Ingam letter about Hillsborough - Thatcher's press secretary)

No no no

The football family will not honor it and shouldn't. She held no love for the game and if she had her way, would have disbanded the professional game. Not everyone attending matches was a hooligan but she banded us all together as troublemakers just like she did the working man in the street who she felt was a Trotskyite threat, so ripped apart industry to destroy the power of the unions whose strength lied in the failures of management.

I hated here with all my heart, though strangely couldn't give a toss about partying over her death but am royally ****ed off to the back teeth with peoples short memories of what a terrible spell of leadership she had and its subsequent consequences. Someone else put it very well indeed, "Her legacy is of public division, private selfishness and a cult of greed, which together shackle far more of the human spirit than they ever set free."

Anyway, this is a football forum, nothing more to see here, move along.

She was our greatest leader since Churchill.

She had a pair, as the argies found out, as the Lockerbie bomber would have felt is she was still in power when he got released.

Makes me chuckle seeing the yobs kick off about it none of whom are old enough to remember but whatever. I don't doubt she made mistakes, hillsborough certainly, but what was the alternative ? Michael Foot ? Christ.

Shows the true colour of a man who celebrates when somebody dies.

Minutes silence though ? No, don't give the clowns the opportunity.

She was our greatest leader since Churchill.

She had a pair, as the argies found out, as the Lockerbie bomber would have felt is she was still in power when he got released.

Makes me chuckle seeing the yobs kick off about it none of whom are old enough to remember but whatever. I don't doubt she made mistakes, hillsborough certainly, but what was the alternative ? Michael Foot ? Christ.

Shows the true colour of a man who celebrates when somebody dies.

Minutes silence though ? No, don't give the clowns the opportunity.

I wont celebrate her death but I wont miss her. You do remember the sun and its infamous headline of gotcha, this is the Thatcher voter from that rag.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

I wont celebrate her death but I wont miss her. You do remember the sun and its infamous headline of gotcha, this is the Thatcher voter from that rag.

Maybe we should discriminate against people with lower levels of intelligence and not allow them to vote in the likes of Thatcher... Lets only give the vote to those with an IQ of 100 or above. Problem solved.

The legacy of Thatcher is still being felt in the North and South Wales and other parts of the Country, as a Southerner who has to travel around I see the wastelands she let happen under he tenure, for a person that was supposed to watch out for the whole of the UK she did a good job of ignoring and razing to the ground parts of it.

As long as the Southerners can buy their own homes and clean their cars on a Sunday all is good though.

Come on Barry, I have taken your bait and been on your hook for a couple of days now, please just drag me into the boat and lump me over the head to put me out of my misery.

You are becoming as tedious as the Trade Union leaders who couldn't be negotiated with and had a liquid agenda at the same time. Who in reality fueled the person you have maligned for the past 3 days to the delight of the masses north and south who were bloody well fed up with the state of things in 1979 at the start of her "reign".

A minute's silence is not really appropriate for many reasons: a) this is sport and she was a politician, b) at least 40- 50% of the crowd were neither born or of an age to appreciate the ins/outs of her tenure as PM. c) Of the remaining 50-60%, at least 50% did not agree with her policies (in some areas of the country this percentage would be less or more of course, d) a minute's silence would not be respected and therefore this would reflect badly on football fans, e) she didn't exactly show any affection towards football fans - I'm sure she regarded us all as working class lefties. In addition, she was very vocal in her support of the ban on British clubs from Europe - which directly affected Saints did it not? Whelan is going to look like a right idiot if one goes ahead at the Wigan match.

Unless we all want to recite ding dong the witch is dead, but that could be bad taste (like tax payers being able to afford to spend money on her funeral)

A drop in the ocean compared to the amount of money she saved the country (but there's another thread for me spouting this and other ignorant views)

As I said on the 'lounge' thread on this, I would not publicly celebrate anyone's death. She has a grieving family. Let's respect that.

However, do not expect me to join in with this airbrushed version of history that is being pushed now. Thatcher did great and lasting harm to the structure of society in this country, encouraging self interest before that of others, and glorifying personal greed. Her "There's no such thing as society" quote sums it up. How Cameron squares that with his "big society" drivel is a quite a feat of 'doublespeak' even by politicians' standards.

The Falklands war (supposedly her finest hour, and the only reason she was re-elected in 1983 after being way behind in the polls in 1981/2 because her economic policy was failing) only came about because her government had sent signals (and reputedly had even started secret talks) that Argentina interpreted as showing it was going soft on the issue of sovereignty -- and in particular, it was her government that removed the main Navy protection vessel from the Islands that many took to be the final spark that caused the invasion. Lord Carrington did the honourable thing and fell on his sword to protect her from blame.

As to a minute's silence at football matches, you must be joking. She hated football, and tried to destroy it as a professional sport in this country. Wanted to ban attendance at matches unless you already had an ID card showing you to be a fan at a club near where you lived (no casual 'walk up' at all, so in effect no new fans ever and no supporting the club of your youth after you've moved away), talked of banning all away fans even with ID, and saw football fans as scum.

She wasn't much better with other sports. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22085707 for example.

She was an iconic figure in our history yes, but not one for good.

Saints did alright under Thatcher, 2nd place, KK signing and a few Euro years. Good times when Maggie was PM.

I had my disagreements with her but the country was in such a better state when she left compared to the bankrupt mess it is now.

That said I don't think we should have a minutes silence, let the politicians mourn her - this is a football club and should only acknowledge only those that had a strong SFC\general football link.

Saints did alright under Thatcher, 2nd place, KK signing and a few Euro years. Good times when Maggie was PM.

I had my disagreements with her but the country was in such a better state when she left compared to the bankrupt mess it is now.

That said I don't think we should have a minutes silence, let the politicians mourn her - this is a football club and should only acknowledge only those that had a strong SFC\general football link.

+1 Well said!

A drop in the ocean compared to the amount of money she saved the country (but there's another thread for me spouting this and other ignorant views)

Urm my objection to a state funeral isn't on overall cost, its the completely random way in which state funerals are handed out, I don't see how a PM that divides a nation/state/country/commonwealth somehow deserves one...

As I said on the 'lounge' thread on this, I would not publicly celebrate anyone's death. She has a grieving family. Let's respect that.

However, do not expect me to join in with this airbrushed version of history that is being pushed now. Thatcher did great and lasting harm to the structure of society in this country, encouraging self interest before that of others, and glorifying personal greed. Her "There's no such thing as society" quote sums it up. How Cameron squares that with his "big society" drivel is a quite a feat of 'doublespeak' even by politicians' standards.

The Falklands war (supposedly her finest hour, and the only reason she was re-elected in 1983 after being way behind in the polls in 1981/2 because her economic policy was failing) only came about because her government had sent signals (and reputedly had even started secret talks) that Argentina interpreted as showing it was going soft on the issue of sovereignty -- and in particular, it was her government that removed the main Navy protection vessel from the Islands that many took to be the final spark that caused the invasion. Lord Carrington did the honourable thing and fell on his sword to protect her from blame.

As to a minute's silence at football matches, you must be joking. She hated football, and tried to destroy it as a professional sport in this country. Wanted to ban attendance at matches unless you already had an ID card showing you to be a fan at a club near where you lived (no casual 'walk up' at all, so in effect no new fans ever and no supporting the club of your youth after you've moved away), talked of banning all away fans even with ID, and saw football fans as scum.

She wasn't much better with other sports. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22085707 for example.

She was an iconic figure in our history yes, but not one for good.

Exactly. Her 'legacy' will haunt this country for many years. Her promotion of the moral that greed is good, is having its repercussions to this day. She cut money from education, law and order, health, and defence,

She sold off public industries. My father worked for the CEGB at Marchwood. He said there were people employed there on menial jobs who would be employed elsewhere. But these people had jobs, had pride, and all that that entails. They weren't getting the dole, they were an active member of society. Society is more than pounds, shillings and pence, it's about hope, and care as well.

Name one good thing that Maggie did. And don't come up with Unions or Falklands because those two fallacies have been dismissed more eloquently by people above already.

And the City of Southampton continued to vote her party back into power, so she can't have been too bad for our city.

Wouldn't there have been a minutes silence anyway at Reading, due to it being (near to) the anniversary of Hillsborough?

Or are they planning on having two separate ones. Maybe thats how Sir JM will slip it in and make sure it goes observed by staging a two for one minutes silence.

Wouldn't there have been a minutes silence anyway at Reading, due to it being (near to) the anniversary of Hillsborough?

Or are they planning on having two separate ones. Maybe thats how Sir JM will slip it in and make sure it goes observed by staging a two for one minutes silence.

It would be quite funny if he does that, all those scousers knowing they're part of a minute's silence for Thatcher.

It is not worth the turmoil it would bring. Sadly kids who were not around at the time have strong views fed to them by the likes of Billy Bragg and Ben Elton.

Maggie causes division in her death as well in her lifetime. I myself think she did more good than bad for the nation as a whole. Gormly and Scargill did more damage to the miners than any politician ever could.

Exactly. Her 'legacy' will haunt this country for many years. Her promotion of the moral that greed is good, is having its repercussions to this day. She cut money from education, law and order, health, and defence,

She sold off public industries. My father worked for the CEGB at Marchwood. He said there were people employed there on menial jobs who would be employed elsewhere. But these people had jobs, had pride, and all that that entails. They weren't getting the dole, they were an active member of society. Society is more than pounds, shillings and pence, it's about hope, and care as well.

Name one good thing that Maggie did. And don't come up with Unions or Falklands because those two fallacies have been dismissed more eloquently by people above already.

Very very good post.

It is not worth the turmoil it would bring. Sadly kids who were not around at the time have strong views fed to them by the likes of Billy Bragg and Ben Elton.

Maggie causes division in her death as well in her lifetime. I myself think she did more good than bad for the nation as a whole. Gormly and Scargill did more damage to the miners than any politician ever could.

Did you benefit from her regime?

House bought, sold for a profit? Shares?

That is an ignorant statement. Billy Bragg has been very respectful since her death. If you ever met him Nick I think you would be very impressed with his genuine desire to promote humanity.

I got bored of this thread about 10 posts in so not sure if anyone has already mentioned it but imagine there will be a minute silence for Hillsborough? Much more fitting that we have one for that at a football ground.

There is one for the Hillsborough anniversary already planned for the Reading v Liverpool game, which makes Madejski's comments even sillier. Does he want two separate silences? Or a combined one?!

And the City of Southampton continued to vote her party back into power, so she can't have been too bad for our city.

And the people keep voting Mugabe in, he must be great too?

Having voters does not equal a good politician. Especially in a time and place where people voted the same way for generations regardless of what they did. But as Marco said if we did ok here is it right to ignore the places that didn't?

But that is what she wanted, she wanted the death of society and community. So I see you are a product of her desire for people to care only about themselves.

And the people keep voting Mugabe in, he must be great too?

Having voters does not equal a good politician. Especially in a time and place where people voted the same way for generations regardless of what they did. But as Marco said if we did ok here is it right to ignore the places that didn't?

But that is what she wanted, she wanted the death of society and community. So I see you are a product of her desire for people to care only about themselves.

Ah, I didn't realise the Tories rigged all those elections, I take it you've got proof of that to support your comparison to Mugabe? Most people vote for what they think is going to give them the best deal? Do you think a Scouser voting for Labour in '79 gave much of a thought as to how it might affect you or your family in Southampton? Of course they didn't.

I've done my utmost to avoid commenting on the main Thatcher thread because of my deep seated and utter hatred for the women. However, I can't avoid this particular thread. The thought of honouring her with a minutes silence at SMS makes me sick to the stomach. I therefore feel I need to at least say that I am fully against it and do not want my football club to be associated with it in any way.

If this does go ahead I would like to be pre-warned. I certainly wouldn't disturb the minutes silence, but I would want to make sure I was not at my seat until it had been completed.

I have little knowledge of the Hillsborough `cover up', but if there is any chance, any chance at all that she will be implicated in that, then having a minutes silence at football grounds is going to look pretty bloody stupid if you ask me.

That is an ignorant statement. Billy Bragg has been very respectful since her death. If you ever met him Nick I think you would be very impressed with his genuine desire to promote humanity.
Nothing wrong with a bit of humanity, perhaps he could tell some of his mates to show some respect.

Did you benefit from her regime?

House bought, sold for a profit? Shares?

You didnt need to ask that question to show you are in the politics of envy.

I started out on my path under the government of Callaghan and since then have worked under many different political parties and PM's. As you would be aware by my posts I never went on to further education or Uni, but went out and have worked to get a decent standard of living, and through taking high risks have done ok. I could have of course sat on my backside and held my hand out and let others provide me with a house etc whilst at the same time look in envy at others. (this is not how i expect you to be by the way)

i do not own shares, but do intend to do one day so that i can supplement a pension. Even in old age i do not expect the nation to keep me, but will have to use my whits to get by. None of the gilt lined index linked pensions for me that some lucky people get,

To have left the country full of inefficient uncompetitive nationlised industries producing nothing anyone wants in the UK never mind abroad and supporting extremely bloated state services on an ever rising level of debt reminds me of some recent European countries such as Greece.

She may well have dismantled a number of industries like mining that effected society and a way of life but they were dead and dying anyway. Who wanted British coal (when Polish coal was far cheaper). Leaving the UK as it was in the 70's was never a viable option particualrly as markets opened up to free competition worldwide and Asia undercutting all. She realised Britian could no longer force its antiquated expensive products onto other countries but had to ensure what we produced was good quality value and competitive.

It would have been far easier to sit there and do little and hand over a yet weaker Britian to the next PM but she believed "people who aim to be liked never get anything done". I believe Cortese has shown a similar willingness to get on with what he thinks is right rather than pander to what everyone else thinks. Is he wrong? time will tell!

Few now remember the pre Thatcher 70's with rubbish in the streets uncollected, the dead unburied, and the international monetary fund bailing out bankrupt Britain " The Sick man of Europe" The Unions ran the government visiting Wilson for Tea and Sandwiches weekly to put forward their wage demands irrespective of the competitivness of what they produced funded on an ever increasing level of national debt. I am unfortunately old enough to remember that.

She also opposed the UK's further integration into Europe and going into the Euro (I actually held a very different view on this in my youth and berated her for it) however events recently have shown the wisdom of that approach.

Of course she made many mistakes and her policies were rushed through and hurt many however the medicine was necessarry to cure the disease. Also whatever she did, she did it with the best of intents for our country not for personal gain. She was hated by the old school and upper classes as she was a working class woman made good she also opened up previously closed old boy networks to all such as the city of London. So not sure where this class warfare bit comes from!

In conclusion I objected to the way comments were made of the dead I would do so similarly for Tony Benn or anyone else irrespective of their beliefs. I also greatly admired Benn for the honest way in which he never departed from his beliefs and the way he dedicated himself to the service of his country as he saw it.

So this is not an issue of supporting policies or not, it is an issue of common decency and respect for someone who dedicated themselves wrongly or rightly to the good of Britain above all else.

By the way I also disagree about the minutes silence at matches which I believe should be for people who have contributed in some way to football.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

You didnt need to ask that question to show you are in the politics of envy.

I started out on my path under the government of Callaghan and since then have worked under many different political parties and PM's. As you would be aware by my posts I never went on to further education or Uni, but went out and have worked to get a decent standard of living, and through taking high risks have done ok. I could have of course sat on my backside and held my hand out and let others provide me with a house etc whilst at the same time look in envy at others. (this is not how i expect you to be by the way)

i do not own shares, but do intend to do one day so that i can supplement a pension. Even in old age i do not expect the nation to keep me, but will have to use my whits to get by. None of the gilt lined index linked pensions for me that some lucky people get,

No I am the politics of equality and fairness, or I try to be, I have a comfortable life (3/4 holidays a year) probably middle class, certainly live in a middle class area but why should that stop me or others wanting fairness?

You want to retain I want to share, there lies the difference.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

But such are the vagaries of our electoral system that no more than a third of the Southampton electorate voted for the candidate of her party.

She never achieved a majority support in this City (either of electorate or even simply votes cast)

But such are the vagaries of our electoral system that no more than a third of the Southampton electorate voted for the candidate of her party.

She never achieved a majority support in this City (either of electorate or even simply votes cast)

In 1978 Southampton Test and Itchen both became Tory seats! Why? not because of any love of Thatcher (who few even knew at the time) but becasue the country was in a complete mess and she was the only candidate willing to tackle the problem!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

More people in Southampton wanted to vote for her party than any of the other options, three times on the trot, that's a fact.