Safe Standing Back In The News

100%Red&White

I believe I did a thread on this 6 months ago and got hammered for dare speaking out against the premiership, God its ****e and boring.

And, to be fair, someone else probably did one 6 months before that...and 6 months before that...it's been going on for years but finally appears to be getting somewhere. I'd like to see it made a 'sticky' or it needs to be 'bumped' regularly to get more people behind it and keep the pressure up.

The system used at Dortmund is a rail every 2 rows so it looks like for the space one seat takes up two people can stand, potentially doubling capacity of the stand. Haven't seen the capacity of the 'Yellow Wall' when all-seated for European games.

And, to be fair, someone else probably did one 6 months before that...and 6 months before that...it's been going on for years but finally appears to be getting somewhere. I'd like to see it made a 'sticky' or it needs to be 'bumped' regularly to get more people behind it and keep the pressure up.

If you really are that bothered about it, why not actually do something real instead of asking someone to sticky a thread on a forum?

The system used at Dortmund is a rail every 2 rows so it looks like for the space one seat takes up two people can stand, potentially doubling capacity of the stand. Haven't seen the capacity of the 'Yellow Wall' when all-seated for European games.

I don't think that's teh system used at Dortmund. When I went there last year it was the same as the old terraces in England (but just newly built) in that there were stanctions spread out around the stand, but not a rail every two rows.

I stood on it last year and the bottom half of the terrace is a proper terrace with random crush barriers dotted about. The top half of the terrace is safe standing.

innen_06.jpg

If you really are that bothered about it, why not actually do something real instead of asking someone to sticky a thread on a forum?

You're very wise, what do you suggest?

And I wouldn't say "bothered" but I'd like to see them return. I'll sign petitions and the like and can't see a problem with suggesting a sticky myself, obviously bothers you. I'd suggest you get over it.

I stood on it last year and the bottom half of the terrace is a proper terrace with random crush barriers dotted about. The top half of the terrace is safe standing.

innen_06.jpg

You're right, only the top section has rail seats, this is what they use...

351sd94.jpg

Do they have to leave the bottom terrace empty for European games?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good news - just one obvious problem there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28886330

Interesting to see that by adding a 8,000 safe standing area it allowed Hannover to increase their 36,000 capacity by around 3,000.

One thing that keeps this away from the authorities considering it is the risk of upsetting the scousers, so it was also interesting to see them discussing and encouraging it on their forums last week as they're so concerned with the shocking atmosphere at Anfield these days.

I can see this happening in the next few years.

The issue is affected by something that happened 25 years ago, and largely ignores the situation today. Since plenty of people continue to stand, surely it makes sense to ensure they are safe while doing so? The events of Hillsborough don't really come into it. I've never felt very comfortable standing behind a plastic seat that's barely knee high. It's too easy to trip over one when you move, e.g. while celebrating. I remember as a kid standing in the family terraces at the Dell, behind the metal barriers. As long as crowd numbers are controlled, it's perfectly safe standing in such a place.

One thing that keeps this away from the authorities considering it is the risk of upsetting the scousers, so it was also interesting to see them discussing and encouraging it on their forums last week as they're so concerned with the shocking atmosphere at Anfield these days.

A couple of things:

Firstly, I'm not sure the Conservatives have ever been that bothered about upsetting the scousers ;)

Secondly, while fans posting on forums are now having sensible discussions about it, there are a hell of a lot of people - many in quite high profile positions within the Hillsborough justice campaign groups - who still believe terraces were the root cause of the disaster and that it would be a massive step backwards to reintroduce them, despite all the evidence to the contrary and that new style terracing would be completely different to the old terracing.

A couple of things:

Firstly, I'm not sure the Conservatives have ever been that bothered about upsetting the scousers ;)

Secondly, while fans posting on forums are now having sensible discussions about it, there are a hell of a lot of people - many in quite high profile positions within the Hillsborough justice campaign groups - who still believe terraces were the root cause of the disaster and that it would be a massive step backwards to reintroduce them, despite all the evidence to the contrary and that new style terracing would be completely different to the old terracing.

You've got to be a complete idiot to think that people standing up is the root cause. People stand up in large crowds in all sorts of scenarios - concerts, for example. Why are there not benches placed in the standing areas at concerts and stewards walking around telling people to sit down?

For that matter, why are you allowed to stand in an all seater stadium if any event other than football is taking place?

I have got to an age where I am more than happy sitting.

Which is fine, and in fact if Safe Standing sections were allowed in the Premier League and Championship, it would provide a clear definition between areas where it's OK to stand and where it's not. It's about giving people a choice, while simultaneously (hopefully) improving the atmosphere in stadia and perhaps even increasing capacity, and even first-timers to a particular stadium will know what they're going to get when buying a ticket - I know it was only a friendly, but I was amazed at the number of people who took their young kids along to the Bayer Leverkusen game and bought their tickets near the back of the Northam, thereby ensuring that their kids wouldn't be able to see a thing.

I have got to an age where I am more than happy sitting.

In which case you are old enough to have benefitted from terracing when you were younger.

I can't see a single, sane reason for Safe Standing to not be introduced in our grounds allowing better pricing for teenagers and traditional working class support (I know, I know, some chance of that) whilst at the same time improving the atmosphere at almost every premier League ground. SMS ain't perfect but our home support is way way louder than the average ground. Anfield was a morgue last week!

Scousers "Spirit of Shankley" AMF movement one of the best organised groups in the country, credit where it's due.

I refuse to include home grounds with drums/ instruments as having a "real" atmosphere btw.

A couple of things:

I'm pretty sure most of them correctly believe the root cause was the police and marshalling of the game.

I'm pretty sure most of them correctly believe the root cause was the police and marshalling of the game.

Which begs the question why some of the various Hillsborough-linked groups were still piping up against standing years later and numerous times it was used as a means of suggesting it was a taboo subject, even preventing formal discussion years after it should have been back on the agenda.

Even the Taylor Report didn't blame "standing"!

Safe standing in the PL and a Liberal-Democrat majority govt.

Two things that will not be seen in any of our lifetimes....

Depends how many football fans REALLY want safe standing. Also, you're definitely wrong on the former, too much money to be made to resist it for clubs who can't cram any more people in...

In which case you are old enough to have benefitted from terracing when you were younger.

I can't see a single, sane reason for Safe Standing to not be introduced in our grounds allowing better pricing for teenagers and traditional working class support (I know, I know, some chance of that) whilst at the same time improving the atmosphere at almost every premier League ground. SMS ain't perfect but our home support is way way louder than the average ground. Anfield was a morgue last week!

Scousers "Spirit of Shankley" AMF movement one of the best organised groups in the country, credit where it's due.

I refuse to include home grounds with drums/ instruments as having a "real" atmosphere btw.

Absolutely both here and abroad. The last time I was on a terrace I rather enjoyed the novelty (although I did want to sit at half time) and that was at Yeovil for a night game.

I can't see any problems with terraces especially as the lessons should have been learnt.

Safe standing in the PL and a Liberal-Democrat majority govt.

Two things that will not be seen in any of our lifetimes....

I think one of your points is a pretty safe bet, kinda what I was alluding to earlier, but if nothing else they've at least thrown it into the political spotlight and given the others something to think about.

Absolutely both here and abroad. The last time I was on a terrace I rather enjoyed the novelty (although I did want to sit at half time) and that was at Yeovil for a night game.

I can't see any problems with terraces especially as the lessons should have been learnt.

I was at Yoevil for the sunny end of season game in our first season in L1, Lambert getting a last minute winner and the terrace going bonkers (we were still on for a play off spot at the time). 5 mins before some moron behind me piped up "Lambert is useless, look he can't even jump". Class day that, way better than sterile Prem grounds unfortunately.

The hillsborough charities will do their best to block it, which is understandable given what they've had to fight through. But maybe they can just block it at Anfield and let the rest of us carry on with what we want to do instead of imposing a blanket ban over us all.

I was at Yoevil for the sunny end of season game in our first season in L1, Lambert getting a last minute winner and the terrace going bonkers (we were still on for a play off spot at the time). 5 mins before some moron behind me piped up "Lambert is useless, look he can't even jump". Class day that, way better than sterile Prem grounds unfortunately.

Bristol rovers was decent with the terracing too.

I thought it was Lee Barnard who scored the winner - irrelevant to the debate I guess - Peterboro away was good, Colchester away at Layer Road a few years ago was dreadful as was Exeter.