Pochettino to Benfica?

JustMike

perhaps it's just a manoeuvre to endear him to saints fans after saying he couldn't see much point in staying if Nicola was gone.

Managers buy into a project nowadays and if the project disappears they usually have other projects to consider. It's about being all you can be, which is no doubt why Gareth Bale is willing to consider a move to a "top club". It's something many fans don't seem to want to understand, players and managers want to win and attain the maximum level possible. Don't know if the employment market permits it much nowadays but I've changed jobs on occasions for a bit more prestige and a bit more status, most people would if they're in a position to do so.

Managers buy into who is paying them the most cash.

Odd move. Yeah they're bigger, CL and nicer place to live, but their league isn't up to much at all. Even winning the title won't really enhance his reputation hugely, whereas doing well in the PL will. Can't see him leaving.

it's not an odd move because it doesn't exist.

Seems he has spoken with them whilst making inquiries about a player. Was the inquiry genuine or a ruse for them to offer him the job. All gone quiet today except for UK media copy of reports.

Seems he has spoken with them whilst making inquiries about a player. Was the inquiry genuine or a ruse for them to offer him the job. All gone quiet today except for UK media copy of reports.

Roughly the same as Laudrup then, he went to watch them (or one of their players no doubt) met their president and suddenly it's being reported that he'd been offered the job which his agent quickly denied. Now he's trying to get some serious cash out of his own chairman and probably won't hesitate to use his "Benfica Job Card". But Benfica want to reduce Jorge Jesus's salary from 4 million euros gross(including bonuses) to a more reasonable 2 million or so and won't hesitate to use their "We've got a couple of top lads on tap for the Job Card" and as he's out of contract in June who knows how it will turn out but in theory he should stay there

because Malaga apart all of the top jobs are now closed.

Happens all of the time like this in academia you know.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well, the interesting aspect of that is......what player did MP inquire about?

Gaitan, probably a bit too expensive....

Salvio, a bit pricey but possible....

Matic, unfortunately too expensive....

Enzo Perez, could be worth a punt....

Aimar, not very likely and free agent so no need to make inquiry to the club....

I would like Salvio but think Perez is more likely if we cant get Nainggolan or Wanyama....

Well, the interesting aspect of that is......what player did MP inquire about?

Gaitan, probably a bit too expensive....

Salvio, a bit pricey but possible....

Matic, unfortunately too expensive....

Enzo Perez, could be worth a punt....

Aimar, not very likely and free agent so no need to make inquiry to the club....

I would like Salvio but think Perez is more likely if we cant get Nainggolan or Wanyama....

to be honest I doubt that any player at Benfica would be too expensive for Saints if we really wanted to acquire him.

to be honest I doubt that any player at Benfica would be too expensive for Saints if we really wanted to acquire him.

True, I should have said too overpriced for us. Dont think we´re ready to overpay too much for a player unless it´s a really really big name.

Ah, another person leaving the club, along with Shaw, Morgan, Clyne, Cork, Rickie, Ramirez, Lallana, Cortese, Fat Frank in the ticket office, Ethel the tea lady, the Ted Bates statue MK 1, and the ghost of Bobby Stokes.

I don't believe a word of it, but whatveer happens, and I'm not talking just the manager but all the players - let it be done as early as possible this summer please.

Ah, another person leaving the club, along with Shaw, Morgan, Clyne, Cork, Rickie, Ramirez, Lallana, Cortese, Fat Frank in the ticket office, Ethel the tea lady, the Ted Bates statue MK 1, and the ghost of Bobby Stokes.

I don't believe a word of it, but whatveer happens, and I'm not talking just the manager but all the players - let it be done as early as possible this summer please.

Agree, but not Ethel. At all costs she must stay.

Probably wants something off Cortese and using the press and social media to strengthen his position. Good work MP.

Perhaps we should all hint we are going to support Eastleigh next season. Might get a discount on the season ticket.

Would you offer someone a job without interviewing them first? Either this is fabricated, or we've allowed him to speak with Benfica?

I've been offered a couple of jobs without being interviewed, that's what happens when you have a good name, reputation and contacts and they want you.

Perhaps we should all hint we are going to support Eastleigh next season. Might get a discount on the season ticket.

I reckon if we put it on twitter and Facebook it'll be in the echo by next week and discounts will follow by mid June.

Benfica today gave a new contract to manager Jorge Jesus, to manage them through until the summer of 2015.

Think we can put a definitive end to this rumour, for now.

now what was I saying ? Anyway Poch probably gave them a call or dropped by to talk about Rodrigo (a Spanish 22 year old unless I am mistaken) and the Benfica chairman just used it as leverage to knock down Jorge's salary because they did the same thing with Laudrup who just happened to be at one of their games as well.