Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

Misleading thread title, the article doesn't say we've bid.

stop nit picking

Hoops-braced-for-record-bid-for-Victor-Wanyama

"It would be impossible for the Celts board to shun that kind of money."

thier title actual says we nicked him:uhoh:

Edited by patred44

I've never seen this guy play, any good? Going from the SPL to the PL is like stepping up from... what, League 1/2?

He played a key role in Celtic's victory over Barcelona in the champions league last year. Physical central midfielder.

He played a key role in Celtic's victory over Barcelona in the champions league last year. Physical central midfielder.

Physical midfielder looked at by the top 4 at times. Reminds me of a younger Viera/Toure. Strong, athletic and decent on the ball.

Top signing if true

Cracking player and young player of the year in the SPL last season. Very highly rated by Celtic.

I would be hugely surprised if he doesn't end up at Arsenal. Hughes at Stoke is apparently also interested but he's not going there. It really would start to look good if we got him but I still think we're going to be struggling to get these big, high demand players when the big 5-6 clubs are also interested.

Having a little nosey at one of their big forums it would give them a proper bloody nose if he did come here.. I know they are and always will be a massive club but it really irks me that little old Southampton, who are trying to do something, should have the temerity to even contemplate a move such as Wanyama. Fair enough we are never going to be a Arse, ManU, Lpool, Spurs but 'kin' hell... don't mind us if we have a go FFS

I think we're after a new midfielder then...! To be honest, I haven't seen a great deal of Wanyama to know what he's all about - but I've seen a fair bit of Banega, and the level he's playing at is far more superior....

Given that they are completely different types of midfielders, I can only assume we are going in for both Wanyama and Banega. Would give us incredible depth in midfield if we sign the two of them, Wanyama is an absolute powerhouse and Banega can provide the intricacy lacking towards the end of last season. Not really concerned what this potentially does for Cork of JWP's prospects either, as many seem to be fretting about. They will get plenty of game time regardless of whether first choice or not, especially as we tend to play with three central midfielders in a quite fluid system anyway. Strength in depth is key for European aspirations and progress in cup competitions next season.

Given that they are completely different types of midfielders, I can only assume we are going in for both Wanyama and Banega. Would give us incredible depth in midfield if we sign the two of them, Wanyama is an absolute powerhouse and Banega can provide the intricacy lacking towards the end of last season. Not really concerned what this potentially does for Cork of JWP's prospects either, as many seem to be fretting about. They will get plenty of game time regardless of whether first choice or not, especially as we tend to play with three central midfielders in a quite fluid system anyway. Strength in depth is key for European aspirations and progress in cup competitions next season.

Remember this bloke can play at centre back equally as well as midfield

Remember this bloke can play at centre back equally as well as midfield

You make an excellent point, he'll provide added CB cover to boot. Of all the players we have been linked with, he's definitely the one I'm most excited about. A Banega/Wanyama combo should also improve our success with corners considerably.

You make an excellent point, he'll provide added CB cover to boot. Of all the players we have been linked with, he's definitely the one I'm most excited about. A Banega/Wanyama combo should also improve our success with corners considerably.

9084223386_ff81a5dd6d.jpg

As it says in the comments

'So let me get this right - Southampton may sign Victor Wanyama, or Arsenal, or Stoke City, or Manchester United, or Manchester City, or Liverpool or another English club or one from abroad ? May I be the first to congratulate Derek McGregor on this magnificent 'EXCLUSIVE'.'

I work next to and opposite Celtic STH's both say he is there best player by a mile.

I work with a bloke who saw him play against Dundee United on sky and said he was sh*te, just a big lump with no ability. Although another guy saw him against Aberdeen and said he was brilliant and good enough for Liverpool. Make of that what you will.

I work with a bloke who saw him play against Dundee United on sky and said he was sh*te, just a big lump with no ability. Although another guy saw him against Aberdeen and said he was brilliant and good enough for Liverpool. Make of that what you will.

Unless 100% of people say a player is amazing and would be a real signing of intent, I am not interested.

Unless 100% of people say a player is amazing and would be a real signing of intent, I am not interested.

Plus he doesn't fit our profile of being crap last season but good the one before. I think we cAn file this story in lazy, lying scumbag journo.

i'm waiting for DellDays reports from his friends that he must have north of the border - his mates are far superior in the ways of football. ;-)

i'm waiting for DellDays reports from his friends that he must have north of the border - his mates are far superior in the ways of football. ;-)

I'm sure pat must have seen him play whilst visiting relatives, it was the game where he was terrible, scored and own goal got sent off and Celtic lost 0-3.

I watched Victor Wanyama in 80% of Celtics games last season and if Saints manage to secure his Signature it will be a massive show of intent. For my money Wanyama Will be the Next Big thing in the EPL, Viera , Toure , Victor has the potential to be as good if not better. If Saints have real intent of aiming for Europe they should offer Celtic £18 mill for a Wanyama & Hooper Double. Worth every penny.

Edited by saintstr1
Missed the Quote

I'm sure pat must have seen him play whilst visiting relatives, it was the game where he was terrible, scored and own goal got sent off and Celtic lost 0-3.

Saw him in the flesh in 5 games last season and many more on the TV. He's a fantastic talent, strong as an ox, uses the ball well, and has developed into a threat at set pieces also.

However, if he were to sign with us I'd much rather see him playing centre half where he is equally comfortable. Our need there is far greater.

Strange, here in Nairobi there's no news about this - and obviously Wanyama is their big star... A few weeks back he was being linked with Arsenal...

why is your login amsterdam when you are in Nairobi? I've been to Nairobi by the way and Mombassa. I cant wait to unveil a big Kenyan flag with "Jambo Victor" written on it.

I remember playing football against a local side just outside Mombassa..

jungle clearing, which we arrived at after a boat ride and a 2 mile hike.

We loaned them shirts and shorts...they played in bare feet....very strange.....Not sure what FIFA would have made of this......

Although we had a very good side...we lost 4-1.........The witch doctor or the local Kilmanjaro beer the night befoire may have contributed to our loss...

Even in bare feet they were very strong .....

The reason I mention this particular game.......several of their side were called Wanyama..

So there is every possibility that I have played against this lads Grandfather and UncleS....Spooky:rolleyes:

I still have my elephant and rhino wood carvings:)

Having said that...the lad is probably on the way to Arsenal or Man UTD...:p

I remember playing football against a local side just outside Mombassa..

jungle clearing, which we arrived at after a boat ride and a 2 mile hike.

We loaned them shirts and shorts...they played in bare feet....very strange.....Not sure what FIFA would have made of this......

Although we had a very good side...we lost 4-1.........The witch doctor or the local Kilmanjaro beer the night befoire may have contributed to our loss...

Even in bare feet they were very strong .....

The reason I mention this particular game.......several of their side were called Wanyama..

So there is every possibility that I have played against this lads Grandfather and UncleS....Spooky:rolleyes:

I still have my elephant and rhino wood carvings:)

Having said that...the lad is probably on the way to Arsenal or Man UTD...:p

any pictures? sounds amazing