Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

There's no way he can be on holiday until July 10th, that must be a misprint. The SPL season is scheduled to start on August 3rd and so pre season at Celtic would begin next week I think. Sounds promising though.

I'm sure i read Celtic started pre-season today for the likes of Bobby Stokes etc, has Vic been in a tournament or something ?

I'm sure i read Celtic started pre-season today for the likes of Bobby Stokes etc, has Vic been in a tournament or something ?

Anthony Stokes maybe? ;)

Wanyama will have just played 2 World Cup qualifiers in early June, not sure if Kenya played any friendlies before that.

Anthony Stokes maybe? ;)

Wanyama will have just played 2 World Cup qualifiers in early June, not sure if Kenya played any friendlies before that.

The FIFA web site said he only played on one of them :-

The 5th June v Nigeria (lost 0-1)

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/africa/matches/round=258334/match=300181927/index.html

They had another game on the 12th June against Malawi but he didn't play.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/africa/matches/round=258334/match=300180957/index.html

It also says they have 3 games in July 7th, 9th and 11th

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ken/index.html#gender=m

Some key points from Nixon:

@reluctantnicko: Price agreed with clubs is probably the best news u could get ...

@reluctantnicko: Talks with the player would be next ... if they haven't happened already. #coughsplutter

@reluctantnicko: Don't get over-excited about dates. Numbers matter more. Saints paying more than anyone. And his wages wont be a snag

Some key points from Nixon:

@reluctantnicko: Price agreed with clubs is probably the best news u could get ...

@reluctantnicko: Talks with the player would be next ... if they haven't happened already. #coughsplutter

@reluctantnicko: Don't get over-excited about dates. Numbers matter more. Saints paying more than anyone. And his wages wont be a snag

Could be a shrewd move - pay more to purchase but pay him less @ todays salaries that could be quite a saving over a four year deal?

This all seems a little too out in the open for me....

Not our style at all. Makes me a little doubting.... Hopefully it's extremely misplaced. :)

Seriously, pretty much all our major transfers in the last few years have been all over the media.

Seriously, pretty much all our major transfers in the last few years have been all over the media.

True

What we don't do is openly talk about possible moves specifically, usually.

Certainly not in a Dave Whealen, car window arry redknapp type of way

True

What we don't do is openly talk about possible moves specifically, usually.

Certainly not in a Dave Whealen, car window arry redknapp type of way

Yes, we hear names but have no real idea of where negotiation may be until a press announcement that they have joined has come.

I see that as a bad thing in terms of getting value for money maybe, but a good thing in terms of raising our profile to the players that may sign in the future. A double edged sword there, I think.

It´s quite fun that all they come back to is Champions League which isn´t a sure thing at all for them.....

More sure than it is for us.

The Celtic fans are right, though they don't give enough credit to the quality of the regular football in the Premier League. Money is the main reason we're more attractive than Celtic.

We'd be in the CL if we played in the SPL, the average wage bill of one of the non Glasgow teams is less than the Blue Square second division

The (very important) point being made there is that if we played in the SPL we wouldn't have any money either.

And some Celtic fans accuses journos to be lazy and poor....

isn´t that OUR trademark on this forum?

ffs, all those copycats..

If that is him then he's obviously mentally ill. Why would you go to such lengths on another teams forum AND give it the billybig balls to fans of one of the biggest clubs in the world? Sure, their league is utter tripe but to think we'd get anywhere near them in terms of attendances/prestige and sustain it for 50, 75 years is utterly mental.

If that is him then he's obviously mentally ill. Why would you go to such lengths on another teams forum AND give it the billybig balls to fans of one of the biggest clubs in the world? Sure, their league is utter tripe but to think we'd get anywhere near them in terms of attendances/prestige and sustain it for 50, 75 years is utterly mental.

Well said my friend!

Better just stand back and watch the carnage.

Doesn't really sit well with me to have a player acknowledge that a bid has been accepted and then declare he won't be doing anything for three weeks as he is on holiday. You are either happy to join a club or you aren't. If you want to hedge your bets and wait for better then that is fair enough but I don't think we should be too accommodating after he has gone public with this.

Doesn't really sit well with me to have a player acknowledge that a bid has been accepted and then declare he won't be doing anything for three weeks as he is on holiday. You are either happy to join a club or you aren't. If you want to hedge your bets and wait for better then that is fair enough but I don't think we should be too accommodating after he has gone public with this.

Hmm? He'll only know if he's happy to join a club once he's spoken with its representatives and negotiated personal terms - something he doesn't want to do yet, because he's on holiday.

As I said early, looked more like a negotiation tactic to me. At the end of the day we are Southampton, not a major name.... growing up in kenya I'm sure he would have barely heard of us.

So, Southampton.... you have the money to buy me? Ok.... i'm on holiday right now, no need to make any immediate moves. What have you got?

Edited by Colinjb

From another Kenyan journalist who is close to Wanyama

Katami Michelle ‏@MichKatami 11m

@VictorWanyama :- "I dont know the genesis of that story because I haven't spoken to any newspaper writer..For now Iam on holiday to rest."

Katami Michelle Katami Michelle ‏@MichKatami 27m

Transfer story quoting @VictorWanyama that he's waiting to agree personal terms with Southampton.But Vic says he hasn't spoken to any writer

Turns out the Celtic fans could be right.

Edited by MOSaint