Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

As usual - it's all one big game isn't it?

Saints appear to be the ONLY club to have actually tabled a bid.

Celtic craftily release details to throw it out into the open & also add that we've had a bid accepted - alerting other clubs to hurry up & get in there with a bigger offer.

Wanyama goes public. Says Celtic have offer accepted... but he's going nowhere until he's talked to us about salary, terms, conditions, etc.

Celtic meanwhile are laughing & crossing their fingers that Arsenal or Liverpool get on the blower & at least match our offer... or increase it.

Wanyama issues "Saints offered me rubbish terms" statement - thus hoping the big boys come calling later today or tomorrow.

It's all about the £££ money £££. Nothing new there. The Premier League is swimming in money this season. Wanyama/Celtic know it - and want a bigger slice of the pie.

Move on Saints I say. Lovren was very happy to sign. I'm sure plenty of others will be too. We don't need greedy bastids here.

Yes but what will he be worth in 2/3 years time if he's as good as the club think? That £2M should be recouped fairly comfortably.

For years I've watched as our players are sold for small amounts only for another club to make a packet on them 2/3 years down the line. Would be nice if we could start doing that ourselves.

If he does the business on the pitch I don't think he would be here for more that 2 years so are wages such a big issue?

I think you're missing my point. The '£10k a week' was just an.example. Point being his wage demands can't go up indefinitely.

Lets not jump the gun just yet.

@McGregorDerek: Celtic with 12.5m reasons to sweat as Victor Wanyama plays it cagey with Southampton. Player's holding all cards at moment.

@McGregorDerek: @rmcdonald46 Believe that a fee has been agreed and Wanyama is talking to Southampton. You don't see Celtic or Southampton denying it.

Point being his wage demands can't go up indefinitely.

Well thats a given. Was just saying that if he wants 45k a week and we are offering 35k a week - for a player with his talent and reputation sometimes they do hold the cards.

Although I would offer 40k to him and meet him in the middle...if only it was that easy ;)

Wanyama knows that currently we are the only offer. His only current option is to reject us and hold out hoping and praying a bigger team comes in for him. Otherwise he'll be playing SPL for another 6 months minimum, something he obviously doesn't want to be doing.

He holds the cards but he needs to understand that when the Don pulls out, he pulls out. It's final. No turning back.

Well thats a given. Was just saying that if he wants 45k a week and we are offering 35k a week - for a player with his talent and reputation sometimes they do hold the cards.

Although I would offer 40k to him and meet him in the middle...if only it was that easy ;)

On FM11 if you were the only offer on the table a player will sign if you offer them 15% less than they ask for so I reckon we could get away with 38k.

@moomin1989: @reluctantnicko Scottish paper reporting Wanyama deal off, couldn't agree terms. Have you heard anything about that?

@reluctantnicko: @moomin1989 Would be a surprise. Surely if u pay 12m for a player u then pay the player properly ... #negotiation

@moomin1989: @reluctantnicko agreed. Agent posturing? Surely we'd have given an indication of terms, which must have interested him to get this far...

@reluctantnicko: @moomin1989 The Don has been known to negotiate a bit too hard at times ... Hopefully not in this case.

There was media reports that Cardiff were willing to pay a higher wage than us but wouldn't pay the same fee to Celtic. Perhaps this has created the expectation for his weekly wage which we haven't matched? His agent would obviously know the numbers from Cardiff.

There was media reports that Cardiff were willing to pay a higher wage than us but wouldn't pay the same fee to Celtic. Perhaps this has created the expectation for his weekly wage which we haven't matched? His agent would obviously know the numbers from Cardiff.

But Wanyama would've known the initial figures from Saints hence why he supposedly flew back. Would you cut your holiday short without knowing what you're potentially walking in to?

What annoys me with these players is that they feel their wages aren't as high as they should be, and will try and hold out for a better offer. They don't live in the real world where people have to accept what they are offered and have to endure years of pay freezes or pay cuts just to be able to live. Then we are expected to year in year out pay more for our season ticket or individual game tickets to see these overpaid players. I know that is how football is nowadays but its just bugs me when you are seeing the likes of the Rooneys etc. being paid more in a month, than many will earn in a lifetime who pay to watch them. This then bumps up the expectations of those lower down the pecking order at a club, and in the end mediocre players are on stupid money.

But Wanyama would've known the initial figures from Saints hence why he supposedly flew back. Would you cut your holiday short without knowing what you're potentially walking in to?
To be directly involved in what might be the biggest discussions of his career? Also a modern day football contract is far more complex than just an agreed weekly wage - release clauses, bonus payments, agents fees, there would be loads of stuff to negotiate and agree.

What annoys me with these players is that they feel their wages aren't as high as they should be, and will try and hold out for a better offer. They don't live in the real world where people have to accept what they are offered and have to endure years of pay freezes or pay cuts just to be able to live. Then we are expected to year in year out pay more for our season ticket or individual game tickets to see these overpaid players. I know that is how football is nowadays but its just bugs me when you are seeing the likes of the Rooneys etc. being paid more in a month, than many will earn in a lifetime who pay to watch them. This then bumps up the expectations of those lower down the pecking order at a club, and in the end mediocre players are on stupid money.
If I thought I could negotiate another 10% or 20% on my wages I would, as would most normal people. No reason to think footballers would be any different.

Yes but at the time did he know the Cardiff number? perhaps he was happyish with what we had put on the table but Cardiff saying they would pay more has possibly upped his expectations of his own worth?

For him to say he wants Cardiff to get a bid accepted probably means he knows they are offering him more.

I would of thought that would be enough for cortese to move on.

So wanyama is not happy with the money, the Belgian is happy with the money but wants to see if another club comes in for him which leaves benega who we don't really know if we have tabled a bid for or not.

Osvaldo does not want to come here as we do not excite him so moving up to this next level is going to be quite tricky is it not.

Here lies NC's problem and a he has a major job in raising the profile of the club.

With the media focussing on about six clubs for many years, any up and coming club with potential is dismissed in a Lawrenson sort of way, and players hang on for a better offer to join already bulging squads, like Buttner last summer.

Agree with this - but add RN to your list of players. Lets not forget how well NC plays the media. We've been heavily linked with 3 central midfielders. One of them is our main target and its clearly not this one. There is no way NC would put up with Wanyama or Celtic (they tried with hooper) talking about the deal to drive the price up... but I bet he IS happy to let it continue whilst our main deals / targets are completed.

RN?

Ruud Van Nistelroy?

Agree with this - but add RN to your list of players. Lets not forget how well NC plays the media. We've been heavily linked with 3 central midfielders. One of them is our main target and its clearly not this one. There is no way NC would put up with Wanyama or Celtic (they tried with hooper) talking about the deal to drive the price up... but I bet he IS happy to let it continue whilst our main deals / targets are completed.
I didn't think NC used the media for transfer dealings?

Here lies NC's problem and a he has a major job in raising the profile of the club.

With the media focussing on about six clubs for many years, any up and coming club with potential is dismissed in a Lawrenson sort of way, and players hang on for a better offer to join already bulging squads, like Buttner last summer.

I wouldn't put Buttner joining Man United down to the media. Not sure you can ever begrudge a young player going to a club like that.

Let's face it, he's probably not going to care too much whether he goes to Cardiff or Saints if that's his only two options. Throw an Arsenal or Liverpool into the equation then things become a bit more difficult for the likes of us provincials.

But if it's true and he really would prefer Cardiff then we should hope that little Nicky packs him off to Wales to enjoy their "project" instead. There's thousands upon thousands of players of equal calibre out there who'd see as an opportunity to advance their career.

I'm starting to think whether this guy is ITK or whether he's just reading reports and re tweeting them out.

@alex_crook: Wanyama has rejected initial contract offer from #saintsfc #celtic

I might just start putting stuff on twitter that I read online as my own information.

I might just start putting stuff on twitter that I read online as my own information.

I used to really take note of his tweets but that is all he seems to be doing lately. Has no idea of situation and just keeps putting it out there as "what he's been told".

I'm starting to think whether this guy is ITK or whether he's just reading reports and re tweeting them out.

@alex_crook: Wanyama has rejected initial contract offer from #saintsfc #celtic

I think my last year on twitter indicates to me that reporters on ITK on some stories and clueless on others. There's not one person who knows everything.

It's interesting, I've been on a stag-do this weekend, and didn't check up on recent events until this morning.

So I looked on the Saints newsnow page this mornign and was hit with a multitude of stories ranging from:-

1) Fee not agreed.

2) Fee agreed.

3) Wanyama knows nothing on Saints' interest.

4) Wanyama knows of Saints' interest.

5) Wanyama rejected contract

I used to really take note of his tweets but that is all he seems to be doing lately. Has no idea of situation and just keeps putting it out there as "what he's been told".

He does go to press conferences during season I think and in those he might have some "own" stuff, but now offseason he seems just to read things and not have any sources of his own...

It's not even July yet, so if Wanyama wants to wait for Cardiff to give Celtic what they want or an offer from one of the big boys let him. Plenty of time to find an alternative. Would think it's more likely a bigger club moves in for him than Cardiff spending at least their transfer budget on him (Their owners said they plan to spend 20-25m in the summer).

It's not even July yet, so if Wanyama wants to wait for Cardiff to give Celtic what they want or an offer from one of the big boys let him. Plenty of time to find an alternative. Would think it's more likely a bigger club moves in for him than Cardiff spending at least their transfer budget on him (Their owners said they plan to spend 20-25m in the summer).

Very true. Somewhat similar to like what Jack Cork did.

I think my last year on twitter indicates to me that reporters on ITK on some stories and clueless on others. There's not one person who knows everything.

It's interesting, I've been on a stag-do this weekend, and didn't check up on recent events until this morning.

So I looked on the Saints newsnow page this mornign and was hit with a multitude of stories ranging from:-

1) Fee not agreed.

2) Fee agreed.

3) Wanyama knows nothing on Saints' interest.

4) Wanyama knows of Saints' interest.

5) Wanyama rejected contract

Think fair to say, enjoy having something to debate and possibilities of decent players but take all reports from these journalists with a handful of salt.

Some seem to rate Nixon, maybe cos he answers questions, but doubt any get close to 10% of their breaking exclusives coming through.

Reminds me of fortune tellers with updates for you to fit the facts

I've never seen this guy play, any good? Going from the SPL to the PL is like stepping up from... what, League 1/2?

I don't understand why people say that coming from the SPL to our level is a step up!

I remember Celtic giving us a lesson in how to play the beautiful game in a pre season match not so long ago! We were miles apart from them and I don't mean in a positive way either!!

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why people say that coming from the SPL to our level is a step up!

I remember Celtic giving us a lesson in how to play the beautiful game in a pre season match not so long ago! We were miles apart from them and I don't mean in a positive way either!!

When exactly did Celtic give us a footballing lesson?

And we were in the premier league then were we ?

When exactly did Celtic give us a footballing lesson?

0-2

And No we were not PL but they still tore us a new one and probably still would, as they would with most PL sides!

I also have no interest in SPL football just was asking the question why it seems we regard The SPL a league below us (yes I know we are now PL!) but Celtic beat Barcelona last year so they cant be that bad.......Can they??

0-2

And No we were not PL but they still tore us a new one and probably still would, as they would with most PL sides!

I also have no interest in SPL football just was asking the question why it seems we regard The SPL a league below us (yes I know we are now PL!) but Celtic beat Barcelona last year so they cant be that bad.......Can they??

I'm not sure you can really use a meaningless friendly between a top team in one league and an poor second tier team in another league to compare the relative top tiers between the two leagues.

I think we all need a reality check - Celtic to Southampton is not a step up. Not sure it's much of a step down either considering he'll be putting himself on the world stage every week, but Celtic are not a club to be sniffed at. You wouldn't begrudge Wanyama for holding out and seeing if a bigger club want to take him.

I'm not sure you can really use a meaningless friendly between a top team in one league and an poor second tier team in another league to compare the relative top tiers between the two leagues.

Defo not, I seem to remember a half crocked Claus and Lee Holmes playing the full 90 mins ouch!

As for Wanyama, seems to me like a decent signing but get the feeling that our names being put out there to spark a bidding war seeing as other media snippets seem to be suggesting we have a serious wedge to spend this window.

On comparison between the two leagues, the way to think about it is how they would function in every way if the clubs switched. If Celtic were in the Premier League, and received that raftful of TV money that we just have, they would be a very strong side - loads of fans, loads of money, strong reputation, attractive in pretty much every way. They'd be in Europe without question. If we went to the SPL, for one the Liebherrs would bugger off because there's no money in it and no way of building a significant enough income, as there was when we were in League One. Provided we took our fans we would still be a half-decent side, around the top of the table but probably not challenging for the title. Without the TV money you've got a hell of a job to compete with Celtic's monopoly.

If we played a competitive game against Celtic right now we might have a chance (I couldn't see us getting a result away from home, mind) but that doesn't mean we'd be a better team if we were in the same league.