Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

@74Promotions: To Celtic fans who were saying that Wanyama is far too good for Southampton and would never go there. How do we feel if he goes to Cardiff?

@74Promotions: Unfortunately Cortese's well known aversion to greedy agents may scupper the deal, but I suspect there's more to run on this one....

@74Promotions: To Celtic fans who were saying that Wanyama is far too good for Southampton and would never go there. How do we feel if he goes to Cardiff?

@74Promotions: Unfortunately Cortese's well known aversion to greedy agents may scupper the deal, but I suspect there's more to run on this one....

He's just speculating, same as any of us.

He's just speculating, same as any of us.

Yep, I'm as wary as the next man when it comes to allotting credence to the myriad of supposedly ITK Twitter accounts, although this chap seems to be less scattergun and less "look at me" compared to most (he doesn't use hash tags for example which suggests he's not of the 'attention seeker' type.)

Anyway, in the words of a legendary SWF poster... "We'll see..."

Yep, I'm as wary as the next man when it comes to allotting credence to the myriad of supposedly ITK Twitter accounts, although this chap seems to be less scattergun and less "look at me" compared to most (he doesn't use hash tags for example which suggests he's not of the 'attention seeker' type.)

Anyway, in the words of a legendary SWF poster... "We'll see..."

Think he's just a bit brighter and more articulate than most others speculating on twitter.

Think he's just a bit brighter and more articulate than most others speculating on twitter.

Aye...

@Lord_Trousers: @74Promotions Cheers for the snippets of info Andy. Do you have any 'sources' within Saints?

@74Promotions: @Lord_Trousers a couple, but in all honesty much of this can be deduced with common sense.

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

Nainggolan,Wanyama & Osvaldo are players teams like Fulham and Spurs should be going for and not Southampton!! What's going on here??

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo why shouldn't Southampton? Are they not allowed ambition?

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions Oh they are. Everyone is. They should just be realistic about those ambitions.

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo I think it's realistic. Those players may still come - the money and ambition is very much there. More so than Fulham.

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions True but can they finish ahead of Fulham/Spurs in the upcoming season? That is the question. Osvaldo has already rejected £17m

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions Don't get me wrong. I like Soton. I admire the team's philosophy but I think they're just being a little over ambitious here

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo Fulham absolutely yes. Cortese wants them in Europe in next 2 seasons and he tends to get what he wants. Don't underestimate!

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo they only finished 2 points behind Fulham last season. We'll see. Cardiff going for Wanyama is far more ambitious.

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

The story about three players rejecting Saints in the Mirror this morning is a cobbled together rehash of various rumours from the last few days. No solid truth in any of it, just press guesswork using arbitrary quotes. Long way to run on this. The course if true love etc

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

Saints, despite spending £30m on transfers last year, paid the lowest agent fees in the league by quite some way. Cortese v strong on this.

Hopefully, Wanyama is not for Saints. How £10m-£12m can be quoted for a player from the SPL who cost less than £1m just the day before yesterday seems to have mystified a lot of my Saints' supporting pals. For that money, if we are going outside the Prem, we should be looking for a midfield player with experience playing for a top side in Italy, Spain or equivalent. Please let this one go wherever he can get the most money but not here where we value loyalty.

Hopefully, Wanyama is not for Saints. How £10m-£12m can be quoted for a player from the SPL who cost less than £1m just the day before yesterday seems to have mystified a lot of my Saints' supporting pals. For that money, if we are going outside the Prem, we should be looking for a midfield player with experience playing for a top side in Italy, Spain or equivalent. Please let this one go wherever he can get the most money but not here where we value loyalty.

Good comment.

I agree with this. I would also hope that our scouts are looking for the "next Wanyama's" out there too which will save us a small fortune if we can find them.

Well said prof .

I want a player who is loyal to a club as well as being a super addition to the squad. Not someone who is in it for the money.

I think we may be following the wrong sport if we want 'next level' players to conform to such an ideology...

I firmly believe that once he finds his club Wanyama will give everything for them. He seems a very composed and intelligent young man - certainly pays Celtic the respect they're due. Why would a player be loyal to a club before they've signed?

Do you see Gaston Ramirez as loyal?

I agree with this. I would also hope that our scouts are looking for the "next Wanyama's" out there too which will save us a small fortune if we can find them.

He's 21 years old and you think we should be looking for the 'next Wanyama'? That's looking at academy level. Believe me, this guy is the real deal. A player with experience in a top European side:

1. Is no more likely to come here - especially if you don't want players coming for money

2. Will, presumably, be older than Wanyama if experience is required

2a. Will not have anywhere near the same sell-on value should we go down that route. If Wanyama fulfils his potential and a big club come calling we could command £25m+ for him.

Edited by DuncanRG

Well said prof .

I want a player who is loyal to a club as well as being a super addition to the squad. Not someone who is in it for the money.

Do his comments not suggest loyalty? He said he is close to his agent, worked with him for years and wants him looked after and he wants Celtic to be happy. I would say this is exactly the sort of character we want, looking after those that look after him.

Do his comments not suggest loyalty? He said he is close to his agent, worked with him for years and wants him looked after and he wants Celtic to be happy. I would say this is exactly the sort of character we want, looking after those that look after him.

Precisely.

It is completely and utterly ludicrous for fans to expect players from other countries to have loyalty to a club they have absolutely no reason to be loyal to. What feeling does a young man from Kenya hold for Southampton? All that matters is how he would act if he did sign, and I'm confident he'd be thoroughly professional.

Desperatly texting my pal who knows these things and all he will say is 'Patience'

WTF does that mean, I don't know.

It means wait and see - it might happen, it might not.

I imagine that Victor and his agent will leave it to the last minute and then see what's on the table. Sort the offers according to CL qualification and then salary, and then talk to the best three. Any news from them before then is most likely to be setting up a negotiating position.

On the other hand - id be happy to be proved wrong and see VW posing with his new kit, and watch, at SMS on Friday

Agree in principle but, the one we want from Italy does not want our generous offer of money, as he sees his ambitions as greater than us.

The one so far mentioned from Spain - Banega- has gone quiet.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/230516-celtic-to-draw-one-from-six-northern-european-opponents-in-champions-league/

Celtic will face one from six northern European opponents when the draw is made for the second qualifying round of the Champions League (today).

Neil Lennon's side will take on either FH Hafnarfjördur (Iceland), The New Saints (Wales), Sligo Rovers (Republic of Ireland), Cliftonville (Northern Ireland), Daugava Daugavpils (Latvia) or Nomme Kalju (Estonia).

Ah, the glamour of the Champions League... :)

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

Nainggolan,Wanyama & Osvaldo are players teams like Fulham and Spurs should be going for and not Southampton!! What's going on here??

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo why shouldn't Southampton? Are they not allowed ambition?

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions Oh they are. Everyone is. They should just be realistic about those ambitions.

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo I think it's realistic. Those players may still come - the money and ambition is very much there. More so than Fulham.

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions True but can they finish ahead of Fulham/Spurs in the upcoming season? That is the question. Osvaldo has already rejected £17m

kwaku saforo@mr_saforo

@74Promotions Don't get me wrong. I like Soton. I admire the team's philosophy but I think they're just being a little over ambitious here

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo Fulham absolutely yes. Cortese wants them in Europe in next 2 seasons and he tends to get what he wants. Don't underestimate!

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

@mr_saforo they only finished 2 points behind Fulham last season. We'll see. Cardiff going for Wanyama is far more ambitious.

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

The story about three players rejecting Saints in the Mirror this morning is a cobbled together rehash of various rumours from the last few days. No solid truth in any of it, just press guesswork using arbitrary quotes. Long way to run on this. The course if true love etc

Andy Hollis@74Promotions

Saints, despite spending £30m on transfers last year, paid the lowest agent fees in the league by quite some way. Cortese v strong on this.

Does anyone give a f**k what Kwaku Saforo thinks?

Clear cut and simple really. Agent wants the money, Cortese doesn't pay greedy agents which we have seen time and time again, and was shown by our total spend of agents fees last year vs other clubs.

If the player is happy to settle for a club where he will achieve less in Cardiff then fair enough. It means the player lacks ambition big time and Alarm bells are ringing for me. Let him go to Cardiff, maybe that is his level, Big fish, small pond etc etc

Clear cut and simple really. Agent wants the money, Cortese doesn't pay greedy agents which we have seen time and time again, and was shown by our total spend of agents fees last year vs other clubs.

If the player is happy to settle for a club where he will achieve less in Cardiff then fair enough. It means the player lacks ambition big time and Alarm bells are ringing for me. Let him go to Cardiff, maybe that is his level, Big fish, small pond etc etc

If cortese is serious about pushing on then he's going to have to bite the bullet on this. The irony being of course Cortese was effectively an agent himself when he brokered the Liebherrs purchase of be club. I'm sure he hasn't held back on paying himself.

If cortese is serious about pushing on then he's going to have to bite the bullet on this. The irony being of course Cortese was effectively an agent himself when he brokered the Liebherrs purchase of be club. I'm sure he hasn't held back on paying himself.

If we do agree a deal for Wanyama then it would indicate that Cortese has backed down unless the player has no other options, which we all know he does. This would smash the whole "we don't pay agents" policy to bits because everyone will know after that all they have to do is go to the press to force his hand. I can't see this deal happening for that reason but it does make it even more difficult for us to pull off these deals when we don't pay the agents, unfortunately.

If we do agree a deal for Wanyama then it would indicate that Cortese has backed down unless the player has no other options, which we all know he does.

I would imagine every transfer deal has compromises on both sides. Him signing for us doesn't necessarily mean Cortese has paid a small fortune to an agent - it doesn't necessarily mean he's even paid more than the usual. We don't really know.

A few weeks ago, I started a thread saying that I hoped that SFC retained a core of English players (and even better if they are Soton born and bred), but given the constant press coverage and people like K****u, I think **** it. Let's splash loads of money, sign these players and stick two fingers up at all these people who think that the PL exists solely of ManU, ManC, Arse, Chel, L'pool, Spurs and maybe Everton. I suppose that these people can't be blamed for it as most of them can't remember what happened before the grotesque PL appeared. Maybe they would prefer a 6-8 team league. Did anyone in 1983/4 say how little old Southampton shouldn't be finishing second, while Chelsea, bought for £1, were in Div 2 (winning it)? What about Chelsea pre-Ambramovich? It was a complete dump. And what about 2002/3 when we finished 8th in PL - why can't we finish ahead of Fulham and a pre-Arab owned Man City? I am sure that these same people don't see us at the same level as WHU. That they might get a big stadium on the cheap will make a difference in a few years, but I am not sure that 3k and £100m more of debt makes them hugely bigger than us - where is the comment about them splashing £15m on Carroll?

A few weeks ago, I started a thread saying that I hoped that SFC retained a core of English players (and even better if they are Soton born and bred), but given the constant press coverage and people like K****u, I think **** it. Let's splash loads of money, sign these players and stick two fingers up at all these people who think that the PL exists solely of ManU, ManC, Arse, Chel, L'pool, Spurs and maybe Everton. I suppose that these people can't be blamed for it as most of them can't remember what happened before the grotesque PL appeared. Maybe they would prefer a 6-8 team league. Did anyone in 1983/4 say how little old Southampton shouldn't be finishing second, while Chelsea, bought for £1, were in Div 2 (winning it)? What about Chelsea pre-Ambramovich? It was a complete dump. And what about 2002/3 when we finished 8th in PL - why can't we finish ahead of Fulham and a pre-Arab owned Man City? I am sure that these same people don't see us at the same level as WHU. That they might get a big stadium on the cheap will make a difference in a few years, but I am not sure that 3k and £100m more of debt makes them hugely bigger than us - where is the comment about them splashing £15m on Carroll?

I don't understand the point of this post

I would imagine every transfer deal has compromises on both sides. Him signing for us doesn't necessarily mean Cortese has paid a small fortune to an agent - it doesn't necessarily mean he's even paid more than the usual. We don't really know.

Perhaps but given that we know we pay a relative little amount to agents and the player has stated the deal for his agent isn't good enough then the assumption would be that Cortese had moved from his position even if it was a compromise.

I suppose. I wouldn't be worried about floodgates flying open though, if he compromises once it doesn't mean he has to again.

I'm not really worried by it but do question how much our position on agent fee's will impact our ability to consistently compete for players of the calibre which we are linked with, although it hasn't hampered our ability to sign Ramirez and Lovren. I guess the situation varies alot on a case by case basis.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/409823/Turkey-an-option-for-Celtic-star-Victor-Wanyama-despite-Southampton-agreeing-10m-fee

Agents have told the 21-year-old Celtic ace he could pocket more from a deal at Galatasaray or Fenerbahce than in England.

Footballers in Turkey only have to pay a basic 15 per cent rate of tax – the lowest in Europe, even ahead of Monaco.

This year Galatasaray lured former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba and Dutch midfielderWesley Sneijder to the club by agreeing to pay their taxes for them.

Advisors in and around Wanyama’s camp are well aware of similar breaks on offer to their client now that Turkey’s two biggest clubs are pondering official moves for him.

Surely we do deals based on a total cost to purchase, like when you buy a house or car you have to budget for additional costs? Agents work on behalf of the players and receive a percentage from them, so if a player feels loyalty to his agent and that he is worth it they can pay any additional sum. If the club have set a limit on what they'll pay - all costs included - that may be where the hold-up has occurred. I suspect, like in the situation with that Dutch player, that Cortese doesn't like attempts to retrospectively add costs and would have made the club's position very clear from the outset.

If he wants to go to Turkey for the money then fair play to him. I don't blame the guy for looking at the options he has, Cork did the same before he came to us.

Ultimately, our offer is on the table, and we have demonstrated that we rate him highly by putting up the price Celtic want for him. He will know that.

Surely we do deals based on a total cost to purchase, like when you buy a house or car you have to budget for additional costs? Agents work on behalf of the players and receive a percentage from them, so if a player feels loyalty to his agent and that he is worth it they can pay any additional sum. If the club have set a limit on what they'll pay - all costs included - that may be where the hold-up has occurred. I suspect, like in the situation with that Dutch player, that Cortese doesn't like attempts to retrospectively add costs and would have made the club's position very clear from the outset.

You would think so but the amount paid to agents and the number of agents involved in each deal has got out of hand in recent years. Agents pop out of the woodwork at the last minute claiming they are owed X amount from any deal.

Cortese's stance is right IMO but it would only be effective if all clubs acted the same or if the industry was better regulated. As it is at the moment, we will definitely lose out on some deals IMO.