Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

If he wants to buy into Corteses vision then ok yes, wages should also be right, he obviously isn't bothered as Cardiff were offering better wages although a lower transfer fee. In other words, ambition doesn't matter, it's pure greed. I don't want players like that at our club.

Let him join Cardiff and end up back in the Championship after a season.

0-2

And No we were not PL but they still tore us a new one and probably still would, as they would with most PL sides!

I also have no interest in SPL football just was asking the question why it seems we regard The SPL a league below us (yes I know we are now PL!) but Celtic beat Barcelona last year so they cant be that bad.......Can they??

Some of the arrogance on here towards a club like Celtic is laughable.

Celtic and Rangers (when they get back to the SPL) may play in a small league but they are both huge clubs that would get top 6 in the prem if given the chance and a few years to adjust.

I think if we currently played Celtic over 10 games I'd give it to them 6-4 but we're building and they (due to the restrictions of the SPL) are stagnating so we could overtake them in terms of footballing ability in the next few years.

They aren't as good as the best EPL teams but they are a lot better than many on here give them credit for and have huge support.

If he wants to buy into Corteses vision then ok yes, wages should also be right, he obviously isn't bothered as Cardiff were offering better wages although a lower transfer fee. In other words, ambition doesn't matter, it's pure greed. I don't want players like that at our club.

Too late!

What makes you think that Cardiff aren't ambitious? They've got wealthy owners, like we do, and seem to be in the market for fairly expensive players, like we were when we got promoted.

Some of the arrogance on here towards a club like Celtic is laughable.

Celtic and Rangers (when they get back to the SPL) may play in a small league but they are both huge clubs that would get top 6 in the prem if given the chance and a few years to adjust.

I think if we currently played Celtic over 10 games I'd give it to them 6-4 but we're building and they (due to the restrictions of the SPL) are stagnating so we could overtake them in terms of footballing ability in the next few years.

They aren't as good as the best EPL teams but they are a lot better than many on here give them credit for and have huge support.

I'm not sure that many are saying that Celtic are not a good side but that the league is poor and that players would prefer to be playing in the PL over the SPL, which is fair IMO.

how can he be happy with cardiffs offer if they havent had a bid accepted and thus dont have permission to talk to the player?

you may say that the agent will speaknoff the record with one of cardiffs reps in advance of a bid being accepted. although saints would also have that option so the player and agent would know in advance what we were willing to offer.

strikes me as games are being payed out and imthink he will be a saint before the week is out.

He does go to press conferences during season I think and in those he might have some "own" stuff, but now offseason he seems just to read things and not have any sources of his own...

He's an agency hack with the sort of contacts you'd expect - http://www.mynewsagency.co.uk/meet_the_team.html

He's hardly the messiah, but then he hasn't claimed to be anything of the sort. Probably doesn't deserve the bashing for "knowing nothing" that some of the oiks on here seem to keen to dish out.

Let him join Cardiff and end up back in the Championship after a season.

Newsflash: no players signing for Saints this summer will be doing so because they "buy into Cortese's vision".

Newsflash: no players signing for Saints this summer will be doing so because they "buy into Cortese's vision".

......But they will be quoted on the OS saying they 'were amazed by the clubs ambition and couldn't wait to join the project'

McGregorDerek: Impressive conviction by Southampton in dealing with Celtic. Arsenal dither, Saints act. But clearly they've still to convince Wanyama.

McGregorDerek: Other than wages and EPL action, Southampton's ambition to spend big on top young talent to make Europe could prove appealing to Wanyama.

jimmysaint7: @McGregorDerek has he actually rejected us? Has he even met us?

McGregorDerek: @jimmysaint7 Agent speaking to club on his behalf. My reading of it is the demands and offers flying to and fro. Wanyama still to be happy.

jimmysaint7: @McGregorDerek OK so still some legs in it? Any truth he prefers Cardiff?

McGregorDerek: @jimmysaint7 Yes. But can't comment on Cardiff.

Just had a look at him on YouTube - looks good enough for one of the big boys now - never mind using us as a stepping stone - I thought he was a defensive midfielder/centre back - looks good going forward, breaking up play, passing the ball - he can score goals too. Can't see him coming to a non-Champions League club.:( Hope I'm wrong...

......But they will be quoted on the OS saying they 'were amazed by the clubs ambition and couldn't wait to join the project'

"Just looking around the stadium and the training ground, you can see the club is set up for European football. I'm excited by the chairman's plans"

"Just looking around the stadium and the training ground, you can see the club is set up for European football. I'm excited by the chairman's plans"

"...and just look at this f^cking watch they've given me..."

Tweet from an African journalist who is apparently very close to Wanyama. She is replying to a question about the story in the scottish press which said Wanyama flew to England yesterday.

Katami Michelle ‏@MichKatami 9h

@Kieran_Celtic I can confirm that Vic didn't fly to England yesterday, I spoke to him late yesterday and just had a chat with him now..

Katami Michelle ‏@MichKatami 9h

Vic is Nairobi RT"@Kieran_Celtic: @MichKatami Confirm if VI flew to England yesterday to discuss terms with Saints? http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/celtic-agree-record-12-5m-wanyama-deal-1-2973893?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it …"

He does go to press conferences during season I think and in those he might have some "own" stuff, but now offseason he seems just to read things and not have any sources of his own...

He's a freelancer, also does stuff for the Daily Fail. No real reason to doubt his credibility - though you can point to examples of where he's been wrong, but show me a journalist you can't prove wrong - but his terminology is a little clichéd it must be said.

Or so I have heard/am led to believe.

There's some guy on twitter (yeah, I know) tweeting a whole bunch of stuff about this deal.

I'll quote this one, but you can look him up for more.

74Promotions: Dear everybody from Celtic/Saints/AFC/LFC. Talks between Saints and Wanyama have NOT broken down at this stage. The end.

Just sharing what I've seen.

I would say he is guessing like the rest of us. Some of his comments don't stack up. He said earlier that Wanyama flew back from holidays for talks. Other reports from the press guy who knows him said he is still on holiday. If I were a betting man I would side with the guy who knows him not the one who is probably like the rest of us and just wants it to happen. I hope I am wrong and he does sign but I would think its unlikely knowing how the club does it's business that this guy is ITK on not just one but all three rumours he claims to know about...

I think we all need a reality check - Celtic to Southampton is not a step up. Not sure it's much of a step down either considering he'll be putting himself on the world stage every week, but Celtic are not a club to be sniffed at. You wouldn't begrudge Wanyama for holding out and seeing if a bigger club want to take him.

Simply wow. Apart from the Poznan.

Cardiff City have made a £10million offer for Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama after his move to Southampton stalled.

Wanyama has revealed his move to Southampton is off unless the club can agree terms with him and his agent.

Southampton have had a £12million bid accepted by Celtic but Cardiff have now made a counter offer and are understood to be prepared to match the 21-year-old's wage demands. Malky Mackay's side are now hoping they can win the player's signature.

Talking exclusively to Sportsmail, Wanyama said: 'My manager Neil Lennon told me of Southampton's offer but while the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent. I am open to what offers are made but I am relaxed and it's important Celtic are happy too.

'My agent and I have been together a very long time and we are like family. We have a very good relationship. He has helped me since I was a young man and there is a lot of trust between us. I know he will help me make the right decision over the next few weeks.

'This is a very important move for me if it happens. I've had two very important seasons at Celtic and I've had the opportunity to play in some very big games and with some talented players. My dream, like any young footballer, is to play in the Premier League and maybe that is the next step for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2346973/Cardiff-make-10m-offer-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Edited by goneawol

Talking exclusively to Sportsmail, Wanyama said: 'My manager Neil Lennon told me of Southampton's offer but while the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent. I am open to what offers are made but I am relaxed and it's important Celtic are happy too.

'My agent and I have been together a very long time and we are like family. We have a very good relationship. He has helped me since I was a young man and there is a lot of trust between us. I know he will help me make the right decision over the next few weeks.

'This is a very important move for me if it happens. I've had two very important seasons at Celtic and I've had the opportunity to play in some very big games and with some talented players. My dream, like any young footballer, is to play in the Premier League and maybe that is the next step for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2346973/Cardiff-make-10m-offer-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Interesting that they've put it in inverted commas rather than quotation marks.

Sounds like personal greed figures bigger in this lad's mind and in that of his agent than any thought about who he might be playing for. My reaction is that we are better off without people like him. We don't need a rotten apple in our dressing room, the team sprit here has been forged over the last four years and is worth far more to us than any transient money grubbing club-hopper. Sigh of relief. I hope it's all over.

Sounds like personal greed figures bigger in this lad's mind and in that of his agent than any thought about who he might be playing for.

Do you not think he might end up playing for Arsenal?

Why?

Because it suggests that's not exactly what he said. Generally journalists, even within quotation marks, can take a bit of license and cut sentences, fix grammar etc so long as the meaning's not changed. Chances are it's just because it was a phone interview and a lot of what he said was broken up by questions but it could be heavily paraphrased. Maybe it's Mail style that I've just missed.

Those quotes (if true) sort of suggest that Wanyama wants his agent significantly compensated, and we know Cortese doesn't like to pay agents that much. However, given the player doesn't seem too bothered about coming here, I am not sure there is any leverage for Cortese in making the deal happen unless he compromises and I am not sure he is one to do that.

Those quotes (if true) sort of suggest that Wanyama wants his agent significantly compensated' date=' and we know Cortese doesn't like to pay agents that much. However, given the player doesn't seem too bothered about coming here, I am not sure there is any leverage for Cortese in making the deal happen unless he compromises and I am not sure he is one to do that.[/quote'] If Cortese wants us to compete in buying these sort of players he'll have to get used o paying agents decent amounts unfortunately.

Do you not think he might end up playing for Arsenal?

Because it suggests that's not exactly what he said. Generally journalists, even within quotation marks, can take a bit of license and cut sentences, fix grammar etc so long as the meaning's not changed. Chances are it's just because it was a phone interview and a lot of what he said was broken up by questions but it could be heavily paraphrased. Maybe it's Mail style that I've just missed.

Even a newspaper such as the Mail is very unlikely to change a direct quote that they then put in quotation marks.

Even a newspaper such as the Mail is very unlikely to change a direct quote that they then put in quotation marks.

Not in ways other than the ones I mentioned, no. Point is they've used inverted commas instead, so it may have been changed a little more. Doubt it's a big deal though.

Mmmm, not sure I necessarily agree with that. If it's between two clubs offering the same wad of cash and one of them's saying "we'll be adding players to get us into Europe" and the other is saying "we'll be trying to establish ourselves in this league", you'd probably expect the player to go for the one with the more immediate chance of glory.

Either that or the one with the biggest tits.