Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

I really hope we don't sign him, he sounds far from a consumate professional and we don't need a pre-Madonna on the books, certainly not one who will throw a wobbly when lambert gets a game before him, or who is likely to punch lallanaby in the face for not passing the ball... Sounds like a great team player that will fit in with our well bonded and hard working team... nice quality guy.

Also, he doesn't want to be here, and he is 27.... please tell me we are not spending nearly £20m on this guy... I can't believe it and I hope it isn't true!

This.

PS of course he did'nt score 200 goals for Roma- but that just highlights the rhetorical/hyperbolic nature of his retort- its for a real roman fans ear - not for anglo-saxons, part time supporters foreigners etc who might get a bit more outraged it came out of the mouth of SRL for instance...its not really that comparable...

Glad you've cleared that up. I was going to ask if he'd played 400 games for tottenham, won three manager of the year awards, and brought Tim Krul to Newcastle.

I really hope we don't sign him, he sounds far from a consumate professional and we don't need a pre-Madonna on the books, certainly not one who will throw a wobbly when lambert gets a game before him, or who is likely to punch lallanaby in the face for not passing the ball... Sounds like a great team player that will fit in with our well bonded and hard working team... nice quality guy.

Also, he doesn't want to be here, and he is 27.... please tell me we are not spending nearly £20m on this guy... I can't believe it and I hope it isn't true!

27 being in his prime?

I think 20m euros is the going rate for this kind of player - a current Italian or Brazil International number 9 - though I agree a younger player (ie Damiao) might have more resale value. As for his temperament - well I don't expect that type of number 9 to be a shrinking violet so expect fireworks occasionally. Rickie is a different case altogether. If you pay less you are getting what you pay for. This bloke isn't about potential - he scores goals - In Italy and in Spain. Its not like they are way easier to score in than over here you know - unless you are Messi or Ronaldo....

If we don't get one of these 20m efforts I would not be surprised to see an under 21 international striker with the requisite physical and technical characteristics signed from the recent euro's or an under 20 from the recent WC....

The dont like his attitude criteria rules out a number of very good strikers - Ronaldo, Rooney, Osvaldo, Ballotelli, Tevez, Anelka, Zlatan, (even Cantona if you go back far enough). Rather bizarrely if each one of them when treated in their own very specific way, have long periods of "quiet" times where they are just very good players. We just notice and remember the misdemeanors.

Clearly Osvaldo is having a tough time in an environment I am not sure we understand, and he is not helping himself but that seems to be just his character.

Question is how good does he have to be to make any shady behaviour acceptable? Or is it never acceptable?

I really hope we don't sign him, he sounds far from a consumate professional and we don't need a pre-Madonna on the books...

Just out of interest, how does a footballer become a 'pre-Madonna'?

Got some weird images in my head right now.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/calcio_mercato/2013/07/15-328310/Calciomercato+Roma%3A+Osvaldo+verso+lo+Zenit

Latest from the corriere dello sport...

Osvaldo is convincing himself he might be ok in russia playing CL, scoring hatfuls of goals and ensuring his WC place is still there. He had previously in the heat of the moment discounted both Zenit and Southampton - teams lined up for him by the roma management - but appears in the cold light of day to be reconsidering, particularly the Zenit option from Spalleti who would welcome him with open arms on a 4m euro deal at a transfer fee just under 20m euros....

fwiw I reckon saints offer is ££ more than zenits in transfer fee, salary maybe similar or less, and its cold russia (you got to bear in mind he is italo-argentinian - cold weather is a real lifestyle disincentive to them- no joke!) with CL matches versus "the southampton project" in the EPl with a coach that knows him.....he will probably choose the CL and money - but do bear in mind Zenit already have Hulk playing for them- the Brazil number 9 from the confed cup...(and russia's number 9 bukharov).so Osvaldo is not guaranteed to displace either of them and start- neither is he guaranteed to start at SMS but SRL is not Brazils or russias number 9 so there is a bit of lee-way there....a footballing decision would see him move to SMS i reckons..a ££ decision to russia...indeed, i can envisage that argument being very high up on the list of things NC might have said to his agent..

Edited by Giordano
didnt realise bukharov played for zenit at no.9

Did he ever cause many problems under MP at Espanyol?

He played for Espanyol from January 2010 to September 2011.In that time, under MP, his value went from £2.6million to £12million. He scored 21 goals in 46 league+cup matches la liga and copa del rey, 4 assists, was booked 11 times, red card once, substituted by MP 11 times during those 44matches ( I'm guessing guess after he's got booked MP hauls him off...indicative of a temperament issue..). No real current injury problems, not particularly injury prone. I guess under MP he was ok from that if maybe a little frustrated at getting subbed off...but you could also say under MP he became a £12million+ player...

oh, btw he shares the same agent as Marchisio, Naingolan (sp), Nani, Gareth Barry and the Malaga RB Jesus..so if NC is chatting with the agent regarding Osvaldo its not inconceivable.....

Edited by Giordano

Sorry if this is boring you all...

Todays Corriere dello sport article on osvaldo reiterates stuff we already know but elaborating a little...this time its the Rome sporting directors right man Frederic Massara who talks...

paraphrased "Osvaldo has evaluated Saints offer and AT THE MOMENT has not accepted (but clearly the offer is good to Roma is the sub-text), Zenit are in pole, BUT its not a certainty he will be going (rubbish platitude to not lose face/ negotiation position )...

What is interesting is that it seems to confirm that we HAVE put an offer in for this striker. The rumour is not refuted. He is therefore regarded as the or a "type" of striker we are looking for.

Question is, what other strikers are there out there who share his characteristics that we may have lined up as back up other than Damiao? Bendtner?

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/calcio_mercato/2013/07/16-328413/Calciomercato+Roma%2C+Massara%3A+%C2%ABOsvaldo+non+%C3%A8+detto+che+parta%C2%BB

Todays Corriere dello sport article on osvaldo reiterates stuff we already know but elaborating a little...this time its the Rome sporting directors right man Frederic Massara who talks...

paraphrased "Osvaldo has evaluated Saints offer and AT THE MOMENT has not accepted (but clearly the offer is good to Roma is the sub-text), Zenit are in pole, BUT its not a certainty he will be going (rubbish platitude to not lose face/ negotiation position )...

What is interesting is that it seems to confirm that we HAVE put an offer in for this striker. The rumour is not refuted. He is therefore regarded as the or a "type" of striker we are looking for.

Question is, what other strikers are there out there who share his characteristics that we may have lined up as back up other than Damiao? Bendtner?

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/calcio_mercato/2013/07/16-328413/Calciomercato+Roma%2C+Massara%3A+%C2%ABOsvaldo+non+%C3%A8+detto+che+parta%C2%BB

Not boring at all mate. :)

If we only would sign one player this window this is the guy for me. As I´ve said a couple of times, I´m sure he would be a 20+ goalscorer if we had him playing 34-38 games in the league.

He is THAT good and would suit our style better than any other striker IMO.

Thanks for the update. Reading those google translations is painful.

So glad Gio's posting more these days!

Cheers...must meet up at a match someday and catch up on old SF stuff etc. Its probably just me but I seem to prefer this nonsense speculation talk to the match report kind of posts stuff...even the matches themselves I often find too uncomfortable to endure live. Unless I am full of alcohol. :-)

The rumour is not refuted. He is therefore regarded as the or a "type" of striker we are looking for.

The only reason we are in with a chance is that even though he doesn't want to come here, his club are effectively kicking him out and he has to choose (probably) between the frozen wastes of Russia for more cash or Saints. Why haven't more clubs come in? because of his 'difficult' reputation.

Thats not a criticism of Saints -its just recognising that even if we have the money we don't have the pulling power of other clubs. If we are to get real top notch talent there is going to be a reason the top clubs aren't in the running - young and lacking experience, unproven in Europe, personality issues etc.

The only reason we are in with a chance is that even though he doesn't want to come here, his club are effectively kicking him out and he has to choose (probably) between the frozen wastes of Russia for more cash or Saints. Why haven't more clubs come in? because of his 'difficult' reputation.

Thats not a criticism of Saints -its just recognising that even if we have the money we don't have the pulling power of other clubs. If we are to get real top notch talent there is going to be a reason the top clubs aren't in the running - young and lacking experience, unproven in Europe, personality issues etc.

You are forgetting the MoPo Factor.

With MoPo we have the likes of Osvaldo considering us. With MoPo we have a decent chance of getting the best out of Osvaldo.

Doesn't mean we will ultimately be successful in signing him but without MoPo would we even get a sniff?

I get your point though.

Yup I agree with all that. Until and unless we get to the state of having real pulling power we must always rely on getting good players who are not quite the full shilling in one way or another. As you say- either youngsters with potential, or those with personality issues etc...in fact:

Boruc - a character

Cork- funny situation, is certainly a character and what was all that stuff with chelsea loaning him all around the country all about?

Puncheon: ahem..

Ramirez - he's a character plus young.And foreign.

Davies- he's a character, funny situation at Rangers.

Shaw. Is very young

Gazza- young and really tall, plus foreign (argentinian).

Yoshida - well he's a character too. He is Japanese ffs.

Clyne - he's young.

Rodriguez- young

Mayuka - young. And foreign.

Lovren- youngish and looks a character. (if only by the state of his tats)

Guly- he's a character!

Fox- he's a character too!

Forren- was youngish and a funny one.Well a bit morose rather than funny.

Tadanari lee- was an odd character.All that archery stuff when he scored. Japanese too.

Spiderman: young and french.

Chappie=- he is a character what with not having any hair.

Billy sharp- internet/twitter celebrity phenomenon.

SRL: normal except he was a lower league player til we signed him.

Fonte: probably normal like SRL. maybe not though.

KD: normal, older and crazy- could have been earning more in premier league all these years but stayed with us- not normal.

MP- he's not normal is he and neither are his coaches- have you seen or heard them?

Big Vic- young.

JWP- young, frighteningly good public speaking - stepford wives programmed response good almost.

Have i missed anyone? Oh Nicola - not normal, paranoid tendencies, superiority complex, delusions of grandeur, workaholic successful businessman with attention to detail. Remember him saying how he used to fill in the bbc predictor thing every week...?

All in all we got lots of young uns, lots of not normals and a few inbetweeners all led by few sandwiches short of a picnic manager, coaches and chairman. Its a great mix. Fertile and exciting. I love it.

Edited by Giordano

I accept his name may open the door to an initial conversation, even if just out of politeness. I just think trying to leap from newly promoted team to CL challengers in one stroke is a very high risk strategy. I'd rather we went the consolidation and gradual enhancement route.

All those saying 'leave well alone' should remember the abuse Boruc got at first ('crazy', 'disruptive', 'loose cannon' etc) and now look at the comments.

Osvaldo would also make quite a few on here eat their words IF we could somehow get him.

I also think he'd have a ball at SFC and in the prem, banging them in from all angles.

Y

All in all we got lots of young uns, lots of not normals and a few inbetweeners all led by few sandwiches short of a picnic manager, coaches and chairman. Its a great mix. Fertile and exciting. I love it.

Me too. The difference in most of the names you listed was that we were the big club when we signed them, we had the kudos. None of those players were effectively shotgunned into signing for Saints.

All those saying 'leave well alone' should remember the abuse Boruc got at first ('crazy', 'disruptive', 'loose cannon' etc) and now look at the comments.

Osvaldo would also make quite a few on here eat their words IF we could somehow get him. I also think he'd have a ball at SFC and in the prem, banging them in from all angles.

I was all for signing boruc and for playing him. Couldnt understand why he didnt get a game and then was in disgrace.

what is the risk in attracting decent players to our club?

Players who, for example have only played in Brazil and dont speak English are always going to be a higher risk. Not to say they wont make it, but a risk, especially if you are lashing out £20m. Its not only about attracting talent, its also about ensuring, as much as possible, that the talent you attract really wants to be here and will replicate their previous success at Saints. Sign a couple of £13-20m duds and all of a sudden the future wont look so bright.

Players who, for example have only played in Brazil and dont speak English are always going to be a higher risk. Not to say they wont make it, but a risk, especially if you are lashing out £20m. Its not only about attracting talent, its also about ensuring, as much as possible, that the talent you attract really wants to be here and will replicate their previous success at Saints. Sign a couple of £13-20m duds and all of a sudden the future wont look so bright.

Oxymoron :facepalm:

I'm sure you know that in general the more you spend lessens the risk of succeeding but increases the cost.

Eventually you will have to move to the next tier of spending if a club is serious about success and CL.

Eventually you will have to move to the next tier of spending if a club is serious about success and CL.

Yes but if we continue to strengthen sensibly in 2-3 years time we'll have a track record of being, say, a regularly top 10 club and 1) wont always have to be the club offering the most money and 2) will have a wider field to choose from.

Yes but if we continue to strengthen sensibly in 2-3 years time we'll have a track record of being, say, a regularly top 10 club and 1) wont always have to be the club offering the most money and 2) will have a wider field to choose from.

I'm not sure Liverpool have a wider field to choose from, maybe slightly but not significantly.

Why do I keep having to scroll through pages of facepalms.....very annoying.

A few numpties saw me use it a couple of times on a couple of threads two days in a row, then wisely decided to mock yours truly by posting it at the end of every post for no reason whatsoever.

This board needs to seriously clean house before the season starts. :facepalm:

As someone with strong ties to St Petersburg, I would like to point out that although frozen is probably fair comment, wasteland is not. St Petersburg is the 4th largest city in Europe with a population of 5,000,000 people. It dumps all over Southampton and pretty much any other city in the UK in terms of culture, architecture, wealth and vibrancy.

As someone with strong ties to St Petersburg, I would like to point out that although frozen is probably fair comment, wasteland is not. St Petersburg is the 4th largest city in Europe with a population of 5,000,000 people. It dumps all over Southampton and pretty much any other city in the UK in terms of culture, architecture, wealth and vibrancy.

I accept wasteland was the wrong word. I've been to Russia a lot over the past 30 years and love many of the cities. Ekaterinburg is my favourite. The winters are too long, too cold and too bleak for me to want to live there though. I imagine that is even more true of an Argentinian.

Nowt beats Liverpool nightlife mate (I have family there) :smug:

Update from italy, gazzette dello sport.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Roma/17-07-2013/roma-evra-stretta-de-sanctis-southampton-pressing-osvaldo-20794012014.shtml

Paraphrased:

Southampton are pressing hard for Osvaldo. They (we) have an emissary (a representative of nicola or NC himself id guess) in London right now talking it over with (presumably) Osvaldo's representatives, though Osvaldo remains cool on the prospect ( i suspect they are reporting old news rather than anything new there ~ and if i was Osvaldo in any case Id use that stance as a negotiating position to get the best deal in any case seeing as its obvious Roma want to sell him).

Could be an interesting day- if they agree terms and get osvaldo to say yes we might get him after all.....oh- and it goes on to say Bergessio from Catania is the possible plan B. Don't get /or really believe in the last bit. He's nothing like Osvaldo, different kind of striker altogether.

Edited by Giordano

Update from italy, gazzette dello sport.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Roma/17-07-2013/roma-evra-stretta-de-sanctis-southampton-pressing-osvaldo-20794012014.shtml

Paraphrased:

Southampton are pressing hard for Osvaldo. They (we) have an emissary (a representative of nicola or NC himself id guess) in London right now talking it over with (presumably) Osvaldo's representatives, though Osvaldo remains cool on the prospect ( i suspect they are reporting old news rather than anything new there ~ and if i was Osvaldo in any case Id use that stance as a negotiating position to get the best deal in any case seeing as its obvious Roma want to sell him).

Could be an interesting day- if they agree terms and get osvaldo to say yes we might get him after all.....

Again mate, when I see that you have posted I rush into that thread. Cheers for the update once again.

I have some sneaky feeling about this one that it actually might come off, but it will take some time...

Has any player ever come to the prem for seria A and been a success? I cant think of anyone that has stepped up other than Ravanelli in 96?

Bergkamp and Henry are the first two that pops to mind for me, I´m sure there are quite a few more...