Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

Glasgow i definitely feel we are marginally bigger than Fulham...they don't have a fan base...i had a season ticket there about 5 years ago as it was only 300 quid but the place is soul less...

They struggle to fill their small ground in London...hence why a lot of their games go on group on etc...recent history has shown that they have been better than us performance wise...

however historically we have always been bigger, we have a far bigger fan base, bigger stadium...they just have the pull of London in their favour

Glasgow i definitely feel we are marginally bigger than Fulham...they don't have a fan base...i had a season ticket there about 5 years ago as it was only 300 quid but the place is soul less...

They struggle to fill their small ground in London...hence why a lot of their games go on group on etc...recent history has shown that they have been better than us performance wise...

however historically we have always been bigger, we have a far bigger fan base, bigger stadium...they just have the pull of London in their favour

Its close, maybe too close to call?

5,000 extra fans each week or London? For an Italian its location, location, location imho

What would a foreign player think? One club is based on London, regularly finished midtable in the premier league for the last ten years and recently reaches a European final and now has rich and ambitious owners. The other also has rich and ambitious owners but is in their first year back in top flight after a slide down the leagues, only 3 seasons ago were playing third tier football and are still restablishing themselves in English footballs top division and is a provincial club with no history of success. On paper which one looks the safer bet? Not to saints fan but to a foreign player who had likely hardly heard and knows nothing of either club.

What would a foreign player think? One club is based on London, regularly finished midtable in the premier league for the last ten years and recently reaches a European final and now has rich and ambitious owners. The other also has rich and ambitious owners but is in their first year back in top flight after a slide down the leagues, only 3 seasons ago were playing third tier football and are still restablishing themselves in English footballs top division and is a provincial club with no history of success. On paper which one looks the safer bet? Not to saints fan but to a foreign player who had likely hardly heard and knows nothing of either club.

We won our last trophy before them I believe ;)

Update from gazzetto dello sport today:

Summary / paraphrased.

Osvaldo unlikely to go Arsenal as they want Suarez but he might choose Fulham because its in London, but Valencia also fancy him. Roma want to unload him quick by Saturday so they don't have to take him to the USA on Sunday as part of their pre-season tour.

My interpretation (and fwiw): Its rubbish. He won't go to Fulham because it is in London. He might go to Fulham if they pay him a gazillion pounds but i bet you he does not even know the manager. He might go to Saints if they pay him a gazillion pounds too because of MP. He might go to Arsenal for three quarters of a gazillion pounds because they are CL but I doubt he wants to return to Spain to play Europa League for Valencia as they probably could only pay him half a gazillion pounds, plus Spain is no good if you not Barca or RM. The EPl is where it's at.

IF he picks Saints in this beauty contest, then, seeing as he does not want to appear a mercenary and who wants to give the impression of being a man of principles, honor,dignity etc (all standard latin temperament features basically) he needs to have something to believe in that is honorable. And he must have visibility (that's code for he must start) to ensure he gets a chance to play WC. The MP factor is crucial to that end because its a bone fide good reason to link up with your old coach plus trainers once more, as is Nicola Cortese - an Italian speaker of course, and the Southampton project. If he can believe in those plus the gazillion pounds is there, then we might have our man.

ciao osvaldoInsomma, l’arrivo del 26enne ivoriano è il modo migliore (più di Adili, Stocker e Salah: tutti del Basilea) per placare la malinconia di Garcia per l’imminente addio dello stimato Osvaldo. L’italo-argentino gradirebbe essere inserito nella trattativa per approdare proprio all’Arsenal, ma si sa che i Gunners puntano forte su Suarez e quindi Sabatini ha incontrato anche i dirigenti del Fulham, squadra che Osvaldo accetterebbe solo perché di stanza a Londra. Il tutto da concludere, se possibile, entro sabato, perché domenica i giallorossi partono per gli Usa e vorrebbero evitare di portare in tournée la punta, che piace anche al Valencia.

Looking at that picture do you honestly think he'd ever bother to shop in Southampton? :lol:

He'd be straight up to London to top up on his designer clobber and meet up with his Italian mates over a cappuchino or two.

That said Saints do have some genuine lifestyle pulling power.

He could live in a lovely leafy village somewhere between London and Southampton and still be within commutable distance of Saints, alternatively he could live in the beautiful New Forest with beaches nearby, London an hour away, mentored by his old coach who he played well under, an Italian speaking boss, a big pile of money in the bank and still lots of exposure to the Italian manager plus the adoration of the Saints fans.

I'm not holding my breath though.

He currently lives in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Coming to London after living in Rome is a downgrade for an Italo-Argentinian. As would going to Southampton, a small city by comparison. The only thing I might say to him is that he could be for Southampton what Maradona was to Napoli. Rome-Napoli is about 114 miles, Southampton-london about 80. There's already 6 london teams - Chelsea, arsenal, fulham, spurs, west ham and palace but only one proper EPL team in the South of England- that's us!

If he joins Fulham it'll be about money and nothing to do with London. It's quite conceivable that he could live in or near London and still be a player for us. Mark Hughes used to live in the area I grew up in (south bucks) whilst he was playing for Chelsea and I'm pretty sure he was there when he played for us.

I'd feel pretty confident if it comes down to Fulham or us.

Looking at that picture do you honestly think he'd ever bother to shop in Southampton? :lol:

He'd be straight up to London to top up on his designer clobber and meet up with his Italian mates over a cappuchino or two.

That said Saints do have some genuine lifestyle pulling power.

He could live in a lovely leafy village somewhere between London and Southampton and still be within commutable distance of Saints, alternatively he could live in the beautiful New Forest with beaches nearby, London an hour away, mentored by his old coach who he played well under, an Italian speaking boss, a big pile of money in the bank and still lots of exposure to the Italian manager plus the adoration of the Saints fans.

I'm not holding my breath though.

On 50 grand a week he cold afford to have two pads one in the smoke & one in the leafy village to save the miles on his Bentley/Aston/Range Rover during the week

He currently lives in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Coming to London after living in Rome is a downgrade for an Italo-Argentinian. As would going to Southampton, a small city by comparison. The only thing I might say to him is that he could be for Southampton what Maradona was to Napoli. Rome-Napoli is about 114 miles, Southampton-london about 80. There's already 6 london teams - Chelsea, arsenal, fulham, spurs, west ham and palace but only one proper EPL team in the South of England- that's us!
I wouldn't say London is a step down from Rome at all, London is a bigger, livelier, more diverse city, with the added advantage of plenty of anonymity. Moving to London will be a pull for a lot of footballers.

Why is he only £8 million now to Fulham? not like £20 million as he seemed to be earlier?

Some journo has mixed things up is my guess. The story was that Romas director was in London to finish the deal of Gervinho and in his case the talk was €8m that is figured in that lone article of Fulham and Osvaldo....

He grew up in Argentina (in Buenos Aires it seems). Almost every local here I know would LOVE to live in London, and I doubt many would see it as a downgrade on Rome. The only thing is if Osvaldo really does feel Italian... his great grandfather was the closest Italian relative he had. And yet he chose to play for Italy, which does make it seem like he loves the place. But yeah, people from Buenos Aires on the whole love London.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/di-marzio-il-mercato-non-dorme-maila-raffica-della-notte-468978

an article by Gianluca Di Marzio, with a little bit in there about Osvaldo corroborating what was written in the article quoted in saying there is renewed optimism that Osvaldo will accept our offer for him.

Could still happen and would be a great signing.

I hate that I've got involved in all this nonsense.Journos posting whimsy stuff and nonsense....

Anyway,

Di Marzio's comment posted at 07.24 today gives us some cause for mild optimism. But like Olallana I don't get where the 10million euros/£8.6m has come from. I previously read Valencia had offered 12m euros...whats more Saints and Zenit had offered the apparently - 20million euros, so i'm confused.com. I think they just pick numbers out of the air.

But with slightly more confidence in its likelihood of being close to the mark because i worked it out myself there does seem a chance that the deal needs to be done by Saturday night. I had earlier on this thread inferred a timescale and a rationale for it ~ and the media seem to have picked up on it as they agree that it does not make sense for Pablo to be on the flight to the USA on Sunday with the rest of his roma team chums if he really is about to be sold. The flight rome-washington is "only" 9 hours but its still a bummer for an athlete attending a medical etc...yes i know that's a tenuous kind of logic and does not mean that he will join Saints at all and its more than likely he will be on that plane but if you want the latest potential deadline/timescale for this guy "maybe" joining Saints hang yer hats on that one..........:-)...sorry.

I hate that I've got involved in all this nonsense.Journos posting whimsy stuff and nonsense....

Anyway,

Di Marzio's comment posted at 07.24 today gives us some cause for mild optimism. But like Olallana I don't get where the 10million euros/£8.6m has come from. I previously read Valencia had offered 12m euros...whats more Saints and Zenit had offered the apparently - 20million euros, so i'm confused.com. I think they just pick numbers out of the air.

But with slightly more confidence in its likelihood of being close to the mark because i worked it out myself there does seem a chance that the deal needs to be done by Saturday night. I had earlier on this thread inferred a timescale and a rationale for it ~ and the media seem to have picked up on it as they agree that it does not make sense for Pablo to be on the flight to the USA on Sunday with the rest of his roma team chums if he really is about to be sold. The flight rome-washington is "only" 9 hours but its still a bummer for an athlete attending a medical etc...yes i know that's a tenuous kind of logic and does not mean that he will join Saints at all and its more than likely he will be on that plane but if you want the latest potential deadline/timescale for this guy "maybe" joining Saints hang yer hats on that one..........:-)...sorry.

My hat is already hanging there!!

Roma are thinking about signing Gervinho..good luck with that then lads...I suppose it's Garcia using his new found wealth to buy back all his old boys. Don't think Garcia will have much time for Osvaldo though.

We need them to sign Gervinho. It makes them happier to let Osvaldo go.

It´s a bit of a repeat from the Wanyama signing I think if you believe the stories that has been in the press....

*We make bid that the club is satisfied with, player negotiations brake down.

*Time goes on, some talks about other clubs but nothing concrete.

*Player begins training camp with his club

*Another club make bid that is lower, player might be interested but selling club isprobably not satisfied with the bid

*Rumours come out that the player might consider us again....

Let´s see if it ends the same way as the Wanyama deal....

Isn't it interesting to have somebody ask the rhetorical question about what a foreign player would think about coming here or going to London and then as an Englishman go ahead and make assumptions as to what an Argentian/Italian's preferences would be? And even then, not knowing the particular individual, to lump him in with all other foreign players as a stereotype.This rather flies in the face of the theory that all footballers are like supermarket workers who will move to another chain just because of an extra £ an hour as apparently it's important for some of them to play for a big club and live in a bit city too. (Where Fulham is concerned, that's one out of two criteria sorted).

If he is attracted to the bright lights and the shops, then London is an hour away. Does he even live within the city at Rome, or on the coast nearby? Maybe he hates the crowds of a big city. Perhaps he's got a yacht and goes sailing. Who knows? What he does know is that we have a former manager of his who is also Argentinian and a Chairman who is Italian and he can also ask his old team mate Papa Weigo for his opinion of life down here. How ever did we manage to get them to come here when this is such an insignificant little club in such a boring little provincial City?

Fulham are more attractive to the outsider, but we are a bigger and will be better marketed club if he decides to see first hand. money wise, who knows what Fulham are willing to pay but if this new guy is as rich and ambitious as reported then we might have a battle. He will have plenty of Spanish/Portuguese speaking support here but then again, in London, he will be in a better city surrounded by many more Spanish speaking footballers.. would probably be better for his modelling, too.

It's dead heat to a foreign footballer, though I'd imagine he would know of Fulham more than he'd know of Saints. NC hasn't given up on him though. This will run.

Isn't it interesting to have somebody ask the rhetorical question about what a foreign player would think about coming here or going to London and then as an Englishman go ahead and make assumptions as to what an Argentian/Italian's preferences would be? And even then, not knowing the particular individual, to lump him in with all other foreign players as a stereotype.This rather flies in the face of the theory that all footballers are like supermarket workers who will move to another chain just because of an extra £ an hour as apparently it's important for some of them to play for a big club and live in a bit city too. (Where Fulham is concerned, that's one out of two criteria sorted).

If he is attracted to the bright lights and the shops, then London is an hour away. Does he even live within the city at Rome, or on the coast nearby? Maybe he hates the crowds of a big city. Perhaps he's got a yacht and goes sailing. Who knows? What he does know is that we have a former manager of his who is also Argentinian and a Chairman who is Italian and he can also ask his old team mate Papa Weigo for his opinion of life down here. How ever did we manage to get them to come here when this is such an insignificant little club in such a boring little provincial City?

I think you're joking... I'm scared you might be being serious.

I think you're joking... I'm scared you might be being serious.

The last line, obviously. Apologies for the sarcasm, lowest form of wit, I know.

As for the rest, nobody knows what he might consider to be positives or negatives about us or Fulham, but it seems that some are prepared to assume what he would like based on stereotypical perceptions.

hmm New Forest or London.I really do not understand the interest in London .I've been there many times and you couldn't pay me enough to actually live there it is a total dump (even the so called nice areas).Yeah fine for a bit of designer shopping but its hardly like we're a long way from there.

hmm New Forest or London.I really do not understand the interest in London .I've been there many times and you couldn't pay me enough to actually live there it is a total dump (even the so called nice areas).Yeah fine for a bit of designer shopping but its hardly like we're a long way from there.

I would imagine London is a completely different place to be in when you earn £40k a week,if you have shed loads of cash and can have the best of everything I imagine its pretty decent place to live

Too right! Go to London and I guarantee you'll be mugged or not appreciated!

Yeah I know guys. Cortese need to get in there and sell it better ;)

Some reports yesterday was that he might consider us, and sorry to say it but lose at to Fulham would be ridicolous. (no I´m not gonna discuss why, it is justmy opinion)

Damiao wont probably be sold in this window either, their chairman seems to love playing games so better put that to rest imo.