Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

"Osvaldo-Southampton, can reopen. There have been contacts in the past few hours, the striker of Roma currency with greater availability English solution which at first had discarded. And this may be the white smoke. There was a survey of Tottenham, but the Southampton pushes. These days there has been much talk ofInter: it's true, Mahmoodlikes, but there are no margins. Both for the high card, but also and mainly because Rome keeps the line ever, disposal not in Italy. And this time Southampton hopes to succeed. "

Great line!

"Osvaldo-Southampton, can reopen. There have been contacts in the past few hours, the striker of Roma currency with greater availability English solution which at first had discarded. And this may be the white smoke. There was a survey of Tottenham, but the Southampton pushes. These days there has been much talk ofInter: it's true, Mahmoodlikes, but there are no margins. Both for the high card, but also and mainly because Rome keeps the line ever, disposal not in Italy. And this time Southampton hopes to succeed. "

Great line!

Heaven only knows if there is any substance behind the story, but I, for one, could happily spend all day reading these literal translations.

If true, maybe the change of mind is because he wants to play alongside an England international ;)

Lol. No joking- its EXACTLY the kind of thing that would influence Osvaldo - once the correct amount of ££ is in his pay packet if course. Competing with England's new number 9 is prestigious and challenging. It would stimulate his pride into action. I wonder if his agent told about that.

Great line!

Seems like we've offerred to buy the Pope ....

Fumata bianca (white smoke) is a bit of a saying in Italy, normally referring to the Pope as said above! It's used a lot when talking about football transfers. It means there's a breakthrough and the deal is more likely to happen, whereas fumata nera (black smoke) is used when there has been no agreement between the parties involved and the deal looks unlikely to happen.

Here is the original Italian article. From 23.43 last night.

Paraphrased ( with my personal footy based interpretation )

Osvaldo to Saints could be surprisingly back on. There's been contact in the last few hours. Osvaldo is now more disposed towards going to England having previously initially discarded it as an option. And this time it could happen ( uses an analogy to when the decision to agree a pope has been made they blow white smoke). Spurs have tried but Saints are the ones pushing. There's been talk him joining Inter and Mazzari ( Inter coach) likes him that's true but its a tough one with little margin for error, and here's why: he costs a lot and Roma have consistently maintained the principle of not selling him to another Italian team ( IMO that BS - they will sell to who pays the most- Italian clubs can't pay the most though so its a nice and easy thing for management to say that would please Roma Tifosi) . And Saints this time hope to get him.

My opinion: not surprised we retrying as the Wolfsburg contact suggests he is still being touted around...as to if we get him...if spurs match us at last minute he would join them - but i don't think ex-Roma director Baldini likes him so....we are not out of it yet put it that way......

Osvaldo-Southampton, può riaprirsi a sorpresa. Ci sono stati contatti nelle ultime ore, l'attaccante della Roma valuta con maggiore disponibilità la soluzione inglese che in un primo momento aveva scartato. E stavolta può esserci la fumata bianca. C'è stato un sondaggio anche del Tottenham, ma il Southampton spinge. In questi giorni si è parlato molto dell'Inter: è vero, piace a Mazzarri, ma non ci sono margini. Sia per il cartellino elevato, ma anche e soprattutto perché la Roma mantiene la linea di sempre, cessione non in Italia. E il Southampton stavolta spera di farcela.

Very relevant comment about Totti. Note he was the assist provider of at least two of those goals. He is 36 and slow and "only " scored about 227 in 535 appearances for Roma plus he falls over 50 times every match and gets sent off 2 a year but he is also a football genius spotting passes and executing them like very few can do or have ever been able to do.

For Osvaldo to be effective he needs a good supply - so the onus would be on the likes of Ramirez in particular to deliver him the ball in the right area at the right time. And then Osvaldo can finish, no doubts about that. If a Michu can do what he did for Swansea then Osvaldo can certainly do it for Saints.

Extra minor amendment: he gets kicked 25 times per match but falls over 50 times! :-) I've never seen a player get as many free kicks as Totti. He is THE master at inducing them. But he does get injured and stay injured for longer these days.

It does go to show though that you do need somebody technically very gifted and thought processes way faster than others to deliver the ball. I think Ramirez was recruited with that partially in mind. It's been said previously that the players around him were not alert to his ability - in other words he's too good for them- and whilst his performances have not convinced that this is true I am still a Ramirez- believer. Any team with Rickie, Osvaldo, JRod & Ramirez plus that solid central midfield plus those promising young pacy overlapping fullbacks, a holy goalie and one or two others is a very strong EPL team.

Ps yes I am a Roma fan too (my sis lives in the centre ) and have got the shirt he is wearing in the pic from last nights article...

Edited by Giordano

That last article recycles the Wolfsburg news but with the spin that he's not interested unless its a top team. It also says at the end that money is not the consideration at stake.

Which is mostly but not all rubbish as we know. :-). Its not new news imo,

Elsewhere:

crstig on twitter suggests its a 3 horse race with us inter and Wolfsburg. Get your bets in each-way then ;-).

Osvaldo definitely looks a class striker.

If he plays in the Italian International...he is bound to be a star and be off to City or United...scuppering our chances.

Then again he could play rubbish and bring this forum into meltdown if he still joins our ranks....

You just got to love footer and all these transfer goings on:rolleyes:

He's clearly a quality player but i'm not so sure I want him anywhere near the Saints team. One of our strengths, which should not be under-estimated, is the spirit within the squad. It's my impression that this is better than at most other clubs and strong team spirit allows a club to punch above their weight to a certain degree.

What would worry me about an 'enfant terrible' such as Osvaldo is whether he would have an impact on that team spirit and upset the apple cart. As good as he is he could potentially make us worse as a team.

Or maybe I just worry too much about stupid sh*t

You dont give that team spirit much credit if you think one single player can come in and destroy it though...

Yeah, I'm very pessimistic like that :-)

I wouldn't say destroy. I would say 'put us to a level where we get no benefit from it'. But I have a hangover and i'm grumpy this morning so it's probably nothing to worry about really.

He's clearly a quality player but i'm not so sure I want him anywhere near the Saints team. One of our strengths, which should not be under-estimated, is the spirit within the squad. It's my impression that this is better than at most other clubs and strong team spirit allows a club to punch above their weight to a certain degree.

What would worry me about an 'enfant terrible' such as Osvaldo is whether he would have an impact on that team spirit and upset the apple cart. As good as he is he could potentially make us worse as a team.

Or maybe I just worry too much about stupid sh*t

Consider the issues Lovren had at Lyon.. although not the same reputation as Osvaldo, seems to be part of the banter now (according to the uncovered vids)

Yes, Pochettino signed Osvaldo on loan in January 2010 and then permanently in August 2010.

That's what I thought,so MP knows exactly what he would be getting in Osvaldo.....he can't be that put off after seemingly persuing him at great lengths.

it seems only at Roma he has shown himself to be a bit troublesome,I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

i feel he would be the perfect addition.

he wants the spotlight,be seen as the star...he may well get that at SFC.......well,as perceived by him.

this possible addition could be the exact thing that will bring the best out of Gaston.....otherwise Gaston may not show his true potential in a saints shirt for sometime.

Osvaldo and Ramirez could be a match made in heaven....for both of them.

for what it's worth, Osvaldo (in my humble opinion) is the strongest player we have been linked with (although I admit to not having seen a lot of the Brazilian lad) if we did manage to pull this off it would be an absolute coup for Saints. Got Italian family who are very surprised he is even linked to us.

for what it's worth, Osvaldo (in my humble opinion) is the strongest player we have been linked with (although I admit to not having seen a lot of the Brazilian lad) if we did manage to pull this off it would be an absolute coup for Saints. Got Italian family who are very surprised he is even linked to us.

Have they not heard that "it's happening" here?!

Interesting, this is the one I've wanted the most and if we get him he'll be fantastic in the prem IMO.

He'd also open up our game allowing Ramirez to start spraying balls down the channels. We can't really do this at the moment.

If we signed him I'd love to see Ricky play in the hole, a Ramirez\JRod-Lambert-Osvaldo combination would be fantastic.

Interesting, this is the one I've wanted the most and if we get him he'll be fantastic in the prem IMO.

He'd also open up our game allowing Ramirez to start spraying balls down the channels. We can't really do this at the moment.

If we signed him I'd love to see Ricky play in the hole, a Ramirez\JRod-Lambert-Osvaldo combination would be fantastic.

i've just cum