Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

From a tuttomercatoweb editorial written by Alfredo Pedulla, the guy who last night wrote that we were back in for Osvaldo. The translation is exceptionally poor, even for google/bing translator though so it's hard to decipher what he's saying. Hopefully an italian speaker can come along and give a better interpretation.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/editoriale/osvaldo-inter-sabatini-non-fa-autogol-zuniga-se-il-napoli-e-diventata-una-barahonda-eto-o-tra-nostalgia-e-ragione-follie-per-halilovic-salviamo-il-sol-473674

Quel gran genio di Osvaldo agliardi-a genius-would Inter with all forces. And it would be reciprocated one hundred percent by Mahmood who believes the ideal striker for the new Inter. But there are so many details, needless to list them all, leading Roma to make other choices. Sabatini mica is stupid. Example: do Osvaldo at Inter and with Osvaldo Inter comes second and fourth Rome, perhaps with twenty goals from Pablo Daniel. There would be close to home for three months, making hunger strike and thirst. I said, Sabatini mica is stupid. And so is trying to reconnect any situation hoping that Osvaldo this time say Yes. Example: Southampton, came back strong in the last few hours. Early developments. I tell you how to think, not masters agree: were the Rome convocherei Osvaldo, might clarify everything you need to clarify. And I like narrow, in a season that with an attack so important, and with mister Gervinho secured to Garcia, could give satisfaction. And then, I wouldn't be a pain in the arse but I think one thing: how to replace Osvaldo, how many potential Osvaldo there are movement stronger than original? Open a survey.

And more from his own personal website

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.alfredopedulla.com/articoli/26878-esclusiva_osvaldo_il_southampton_ha_fretta&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.alfredopedulla.com/articoli/26878-esclusiva_osvaldo_il_southampton_ha_fretta%26safe%3Dactive%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DH1I%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

The Southampton came back strong Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. This time with some well-founded hope in more than hit the target. But the English club has called for a rapid response and ultimately, in the space of a few days. By Wednesday you might know something more. Roma are in agreement, although at this time no scruples: one as Osvaldo is not easily replaceable. The last word to the attacker, called for at this time: you will not go on too long.

Edited by Bewildered

C'mon Pablo sign the ****ing contract or we'll have to start with the whole equine heads in beds thing again.

Hope this one goes through, can't see how and not sure if good from a morale point of view long term. But it would be a cracking signing short term even if he scores a couple. (To show we can get targets of this stature to others considered to be at this level)

In summary......

The article is saying that Osvaldo would love to go to Inter and the new look Inter would love to have him but Roma are not stupid and wouldn't want to sell to one of their rivals.

The journalist questions the sense in getting rid of a player as good as Osvaldo and how Roma would replace him.

He suggests that Roma should keep him close and save face by offering him to Southampton knowing that he doesn't want to go with the result that he stays.

This is only the journalist's view though so needs to be taken as such. Roma themselves do seem to want to sell the player.

He simply does not want to come here as Banega and Damiao didn't, isn't happening

If there is truth in our continued interest there must be some interest /chance.

We have no idea what any of these players want. We can judge on obvious things such as how good clubs did last season, champions league etc. But there is whole list of variable and you do not know what he thinks.

Eg

Champions league

Likely starts / squad player

Wages

Other commercial deals

Country

Manager

'Project'

Playing style

Other offers

Desire to move to new club / country

Players at new club

Etc

The whole Osvaldo-Roma situation is pretty complex.

The owners want him gone - the management\players appear to want to keep him - the fans are split with strong opinions on both sides.

Let's be honest - Osvaldo is a loose cannon, when the manager didn't pick him for the Italian cup final for not training enough he openly and strongly criticised the manager for his non selection saying that the manager should 'celebrate with his Lazio fans'. Imagine Ricky getting dropped for bad attitude and then going on TV accusing MP of being a Pompey fan (but 100 times more incendary). It's going to get a reaction although the management have said when the cameras are off he's quiet.

He's also had run ins with the fans, telling them that he'd take them out one by one and that he's scored 200 goals - what the f**k have they done? Obviously very theatrical and not to be taken seriously but this is going to incite in a big way, especially in Rome.

His private life is also a bit lively - he has 3 kids to 2 women and he's no longer with either.

The guy is a live wire and a real character - I think he'd be marmite - you'd love him or hate him. I'd be in the love camp, I like characters in football and this guy is a big character. Whether NC would see it that way is highly debateable.

The other side of the argument is that he is genuine world class, he has played under MP and by all accounts was perfectly fine and I believe that if you take him out of a cauldron like Rome he'd calm down and get on with his football. If Osvaldo is this good with all the distractions around him what could he be like when his surroundings are much calmer?

He wants to play for Italy in the WC, that would rule out Zenit for me - a lesser league with less media attention and different scheduling, Roma don't appear to want to sell to one of their rivals so that leaves Spain, England and Germany. The Spanish clubs look skint (outside the big 2) so I can't see him going there, I'm not convinced that he'd want Germany as I still think the prem is higher profle but whether he'd want to take what I suspect he'd think would be a backwards step to us is very debateable.

If I had to put money on it I think a kiss and make up session at Roma will happen. He'll make a few grovelling apologies and become the fan's favourite after scoring a few spectacular goals. All just my opinion.

Saints need to bring this one to head ASAP though and if he's a no go then we need to pursue new avenues. We need a striker and there are still a lot of quality options out there.

The owners want him gone - the management\players appear to want to keep him - the fans are split with strong opinions on both sides.

Let's be honest - Osvaldo is a loose cannon, when the manager didn't pick him for the Italian cup final for not training enough he openly and strongly criticised the manager for his non selection saying that the manager should 'celebrate with his Lazio fans'. Imagine Ricky getting dropped for bad attitude and then going on TV accusing MP of being a Pompey fan (but 100 times more incendary). It's going to get a reaction although the management have said when the cameras are off he's quiet.

He's also had run ins with the fans, telling them that he'd take them out one by one and that he's scored 200 goals - what the f**k have they done? Obviously very theatrical and not to be taken seriously but this is going to incite in a big way, especially in Rome.

His private life is also a bit lively - he has 3 kids to 2 women and he's no longer with either.

The guy is a live wire and a real character - I think he'd be marmite - you'd love him or hate him. I'd be in the love camp, I like characters in football and this guy is a big character. Whether NC would see it that way is highly debateable.

The other side of the argument is that he is genuine world class, he has played under MP and by all accounts was perfectly fine and I believe that if you take him out of a cauldron like Rome he'd calm down and get on with his football. If Osvaldo is this good with all the distractions around him what could he be like when his surroundings are much calmer?

He wants to play for Italy in the WC, that would rule out Zenit for me - a lesser league with less media attention and different scheduling, Roma don't appear to want to sell to one of their rivals so that leaves Spain, England and Germany. The Spanish clubs look skint (outside the big 2) so I can't see him going there, I'm not convinced that he'd want Germany as I still think the prem is higher profle but whether he'd want to take what I suspect he'd think would be a backwards step to us is very debateable.

If I had to put money on it I think a kiss and make up session at Roma will happen. He'll make a few grovelling apologies and become the fan's favourite after scoring a few spectacular goals. All just my opinion.

Saints need to bring this one to head ASAP though and if he's a no go then we need to pursue new avenues. We need a striker and there are still a lot of quality options out there.

Excellent appraisal , Spot on.

If there is truth in our continued interest there must be some interest /chance.

We have no idea what any of these players want. We can judge on obvious things such as how good clubs did last season, champions league etc. But there is whole list of variable and you do not know what he thinks.

Eg

Champions league

Likely starts / squad player

Wages

Other commercial deals

Country

Manager

'Project'

Playing style

Other offers

Desire to move to new club / country

Players at new club

Etc

What player genuinely believes about "projects" at football clubs? They say it but I dont think they believe in it at all, every club has a "project" after all.

We will not let this one drop will we? Perseverance at least. And if you try hard enough, it usually will happen.

Still think this is weeks away from anything concrete though.

We've supposedly set a Wednesday deadline, at least in terms of getting an answer.

If we land Osvaldo, that is a pretty spectacular transfer window for us.

Would have to say so myself.

International/CL quality added right down the spine of the team, whilst keeping everyone on long-term contracts. I'm sure there will still be moaners and WUM's, but there won't be many clubs that conclude that level of success in the transfer market this summer.

Also worth noting that it would take our spend to around £40m again. (if Osvaldo is the rumoured 19/20m)

Would have to say so myself.

International/CL quality added right down the spine of the team, whilst keeping everyone on long-term contracts. I'm sure there will still be moaners and WUM's, but there won't be many clubs that conclude that level of success in the transfer market this summer.

Also worth noting that it would take our spend to around £40m again. (if Osvaldo is the rumoured 19/20m)

I would be amazed and pleased but why are we pursuing a player who obviously does not want to come here?

I would be amazed and pleased but why are we pursuing a player who obviously does not want to come here?

Where would you rather go, Inter or Southampton?

The player is obviously biding his time, seeing if anyone more attractive (of which there are many clubs) will come in for him.

Simple. Not a case of him not wanting to come here full stop.

Who knows what they believe.

But its common sense they will know more about a club's 'project' than fans, for example if we meet Osvaldo he will quickly have a lot more knowledge than you do about saints aims, ambitions, timescales, budgets.

this will form part of his views / decision.

An ambitious chairman, with a vision and money to back it up, of course will have a more positive influence than club going backwards.

Whole point of post, we don't know the full picture.

Just realised I didn't include the 'name' or 'history' of a club in list of factors, sure has some, maybe minor, influence.

Where would you rather go, Inter or Southampton?

The player is obviously biding his time, seeing if anyone more attractive (of which there are many clubs) will come in for him.

Simple. Not a case of him not wanting to come here full stop.

Man City are bigger than us granted but how did they get all this World talent? Money, simple as that, we have to offer lots of it to get the best or better than we have.

For those familiar with the player, what is it about him that makes the club so eager to get him? As far as I can tell he is 27 (and won't have a great resale value), will command very big wages, and has had moments of controversy in his career.

I've no doubt he is considerably better than anything we've got, and the Pochettino link is significant, but considering all of the other possible targets what sets Osvaldo out from the rest of them?

One thing I often forget re: Osvaldo (perhaps because a lot of us were talking about Damiao) was that THEVMAN actually mentioned this in July...

My understanding of the major transfer goals over the summer was a £20 mill + Italian striker that would break the Saints signing on fee,who that meant is up for debate.Perhaps it still is in the working ,we wait and see.

Don't think there's much doubt that Osvaldo is that elusive 3rd target we've yet to land.

For those familiar with the player, what is it about him that makes the club so eager to get him? As far as I can tell he is 27 (and won't have a great resale value), will command very big wages, and has had moments of controversy in his career.

I've no doubt he is considerably better than anything we've got, and the Pochettino link is significant, but considering all of the other possible targets what sets Osvaldo out from the rest of them?

He is the archetypal modern day forward, he has got everything in his locker. On his day, he is one of the best strikers in Europe. Capable of scoring any type of goal, got a good physical presence about him, strong in the air, he's not lightning quick but he's no slouch. If he didn't have his personality issues then there is no way Roma would be selling, and if they were they'd be looking at €25-30m rather than €15-20m.

He's a great player. His record in Serie A & La Liga over the past 3 seasons speaks for itself. As a Roma follower, I've watched him 60+ times in the past 2 seasons, so I'd like to think I'm well placed to form an opinion on him.

The personality issues have only reared their head at Roma, I've been unable to unearth any reports of him causing problems at other clubs, including at Espanyol under Poch. The Roman atmosphere does not suit him, Rome is a crazy city when it comes to football. Would love to see us sign him, don't think it'll happen though and the longer the summer goes on, the more chance I see of him staying at Roma, especially as their other main striker (Destro) is injured and won't be fit to start the season.

well this deal seems to be "back-on " again.

His goal-scoring record looks impressive, and MP clearly knows his ability from his Espanyol days, so IF he signs ...I just hope that he's the " real deal ".

A quick review of our leading goal-scorers over the past 50 years........shows that - with the exception of Ron Davies - nearly all of them were " bought for a song" ...or even signed for nothing, whereas the majority of those that we previously paid " bigger money" for were somewhat less than brilliant.

I've nothing against the club spending £20 million on a player of " his class ", but I just hope that he picks up the European Golden Boot at the end of the season.

I still doubt he will come to us,Liverpool seem to be keen on throwing £20 mill at a fwd and I see Costas turned them down last week,wouldn't surprise me if they got involved at some point.

Would love this to happen but I feel it may be one season to early to start attracting this calibre of player.of course I am more than happy to be proven wrong

SNIP

Yes, seems a good summary. Just been reading the Italian sites and we are definitely back in there strongly and matters are coming to a head either way and should be settled in the next (2) week(s) - Wolfsburg, Saints, Zenit but I'd guess not Inter!