Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

We're indebted to you for your valuable insight into the minds and perceptions that foreign players have of us as a club and Southampton as a city, Barry.

Cheers Wes, no worries, we a small blip on the European map, being linked with a player without backing up the dough is like Dwayne Dibley trying to pull in a swish nightspot, reality check is needed here Wes, there are probably 40 larger clubs then us in Europe minimum, it only take one of them to offer the same and they will go there if they cna offer European football, we can only offer the possibility of it, we are also a regional City which is not good for a cosmopolitan footballer.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

How many European clubs put in a bid for him? We also overpaid for him to boot.

Which rather holes your argument below the waterline that Cortese isn't prepared to splash the cash for certain players.

How many European clubs could afford to pay that sum of money, Barry? It seems to have escaped your attention that many of them have severe financial problems.

Which rather holes your argument below the waterline that Cortese isn't prepared to splash the cash for certain players.

How many European clubs could afford to pay that sum of money, Barry? It seems to have escaped your attention that many of them have severe financial problems.

No it does not at all, Wanyama is using us as a stepping stone from within the UK, to get the cream from overseas we shall have to overpay hugely, many have fanancial issues and yet wont take our money or let us speak to the player at at very least?

I thought Cortese had good Italian connections?

Pochetinno Spanish ones?

Reed West Dorset?

Overpaying willingly or not knowing and being naive are two very different things indeed.

Rather than locking threads could Admin lock users from accessing threads, say for example a user was consistently ruining threads with their own agenda that is loosely (at best) relating to the topic.

Can't think why I've just thought of that....

No it does not at all, Wanyama is using us as a stepping stone from within the UK, to get the cream from overseas we shall have to overpay hugely, many have fanancial issues and yet wont take our money or let us speak to the player at at very least?

I thought Cortese had good Italian connections?

Pochetinno Spanish ones?

Reed West Dorset?

Overpaying willingly or not knowing and being naive are two very different things indeed.

I see. So Cortese overpaying for Wanyama was a one off, not to be repeated with any other players that he might fancy having play for us. The sums touted for players like Damiao and Osvaldo are probably fictional anyway, agents' fantasies, eh?

Again, we are all indebted to your valuable insights into the internal workings of the club's hierarchy, the abilities of our scouting network and your encyclopaedic knowledge of the intricacies of player purchasing from all of the European and World leagues, where any player of any aptitude can only be purchased at over-inflated prices. Apart from those stellar players picked up by Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea, whose chairmen are much more canny negotiators than ours, obviously.

I see. So Cortese overpaying for Wanyama was a one off, not to be repeated with any other players that he might fancy having play for us. The sums touted for players like Damiao and Osvaldo are probably fictional anyway, agents' fantasies, eh?

Again, we are all indebted to your valuable insights into the internal workings of the club's hierarchy, the abilities of our scouting network and your encyclopaedic knowledge of the intricacies of player purchasing from all of the European and World leagues, where any player of any aptitude can only be purchased at over-inflated prices. Apart from those stellar players picked up by Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea, whose chairmen are much more canny negotiators than ours, obviously.

No we have overpaid for Ramirez and Wanyama we have been naive with Forren, Guly, and Lee etc etc, there is a difference, i do like the signing of him though but we have overpaid gor him.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

No we have overpaid for Ramirez, we have been naive with Forren, Guly, Lee and Wanyama, there is a difference, i do like the signing of him though but we have overpaid gor him.

But if the signing turns out to be good then we haven´t overpaid??

You live in a dreamy dreamy world of simplicity....

So by your definition its an expensive specualtion buy?

Are you talking about Ramirez (as usual)?

If so, in that case I think it´s a great signing.

Was he a world-beater last year, no but IMO he had a 6 out of 10 season.

Will he be a world-beater this year....remains to be seen.

Either way, even if he doesn´t have a great season this year we will have no problem to recoup most (or maybe even more) of the money we paid for him.

Therefore a great signing both football-wise and business-wise.

So by your definition its an expensive specualtion buy?

But if Wanyama (or anyone else) is using us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, then surely we should sell them for more than we paid, even if we "overpaid?" We have only overpaid if the player is not worth it or we don't make a profit on him when he goes?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Wes - a question.....would you consider a move from Roma to Saints as a step up?

Of course, it isn't as simple as that, is it?

Would a player consider playing in the Premiership as a step up from Serie A? Quite possibly, depending on the the player.

If we were paying more in wages, would he consider that a step up? If a player (in general, not this one specifically) was mostly used as a bench warmer or sub, would playing every match be a step up for him?

There are several other factors to be considered too, such as environment, whether the player is valued by the club (which seems to be a strong factor with Osvaldo), family circumstances, etc.

I came on this thread thinking there was some form of update on our pursuit of osvaldo. How naive of me, this forum is pretty much just somewhere idiots come to spout anonymous rubbish from behind a computer screen. Long gone are the day's of proper football discussions and debates.

I don't think we will get Osvaldo or Damiao. The media reports coming out from all the sources I check say nothing positive. If we get either then it will be all very late in the day. More likely a striker from outside current radar. Maybe this will prove we will have tried to punch above our weight but failed this time. Reading some posters here i think that will vindicate and justify their well known and oft repeated views on the subject.

I say theres No shame in trying though. Id Rather we try than not. I Don't see that as cause to slag off the club directly or indirectly at all. Quite the opposite. If some believe we are wrong to try to get the best players in the world fair enough- but to consider the club and many supporters as online idiots for being positive about trying - or at least keeping the belief that sfc SHOULD try for the best players we can first of all and keep it it open as a consideration - I don't get posters who think thats bad. It's not all or nothing. We don't just say its Osvaldo or nothing. If there are posters that think that's how sfc operate then they probably don't work in business. In business you ALWAYS have a plan B, and C and D - and often have to us them. The most successful businesses have the best thought out plan Z. Clubs with nothing beyond plan B are higher risk of failing. Numerous footballing examples prove that point.

In other news: I don't understand what point some here are trying to make. The most likely explanation is that there isn't any. Writing posts in a nihilistic/ anarchistic / downer style is quite easy actually and MANY could do that on any topic on any forum if so inclined.

It's only a minority that persist in doing it interspersed with occasional breaks for conventional debate ( which confuses even more and acts as camouflage for the next acts of forum hijack/ sabotage. It's fun. Because I can. It's not doing anyone any harm. Yep. Fair enough again. I personally happen to "get" it and most and probably all of the unusual posters here beyond what and how they write. It's just that it does seem to disaffect a lot of people and discourages people who themselves add information, debate and humour. If they leave then the forum is lesser for it.

I don't think we will get Osvaldo or Damiao. The media reports coming out from all the sources I check say nothing positive. If we get either then it will be all very late in the day. More likely a striker from outside current radar. Maybe this will prove we will have tried to punch above our weight but failed this time. Reading some posters here i think that will vindicate and justify their well known and oft repeated views on the subject.

I say theres No shame in trying though. Id Rather we try than not. I Don't see that as cause to slag off the club directly or indirectly at all. Quite the opposite. If some believe we are wrong to try to get the best players in the world fair enough- but to consider the club and many supporters as online idiots for being positive about trying - or at least keeping the belief that sfc SHOULD try for the best players we can first of all and keep it it open as a consideration - I don't get posters who think thats bad. It's not all or nothing. We don't just say its Osvaldo or nothing. If there are posters that think that's how sfc operate then they probably don't work in business. In business you ALWAYS have a plan B, and C and D - and often have to us them. The most successful businesses have the best thought out plan Z. Clubs with nothing beyond plan B are higher risk of failing. Numerous footballing examples prove that point.

In other news: I don't understand what point some here are trying to make. The most likely explanation is that there isn't any. Writing posts in a nihilistic/ anarchistic / downer style is quite easy actually and MANY could do that on any topic on any forum if so inclined.

It's only a minority that persist in doing it interspersed with occasional breaks for conventional debate ( which confuses even more and acts as camouflage for the next acts of forum hijack/ sabotage. It's fun. Because I can. It's not doing anyone any harm. Yep. Fair enough again. I personally happen to "get" it and most and probably all of the unusual posters here beyond what and how they write. It's just that it does seem to disaffect a lot of people and discourages people who themselves add information, debate and humour. If they leave then the forum is lesser for it.

WE could sign the best players in the World tomorrow if we gave them the best wages, sustainable? No but thats the only way we are going to do it.

Thats pretty much a fact from what we have seen so far in that many of our prospective purchases dont even know where or who we are, money talks, did Ramirez see us as a step up?

Clubs that dont have plan b's, Real Madrid.

Totally agree. Top post.

I would most definitely see us trying to better the squad and going for "bigger names" Does that not show ambition? Too bloody right it does. OK we may have to overpay on wages but hey look at Man City.....they have had to pay mega bucks to get he best players. (I am not one moment suggesting we pay 200k per week) but we do need to get realistic and pay the "going rate" or slightly more in order to move up the next rung on the ladder. If we are able to get top top players and we do really well and get the European footy then the next time we go for the better player we will have more of a realistic chance of getting him for "normal money".

Have faith people we are no longer relegation fodder and need to constantly fish in the smaller pond we have the right to go for the next step and i am just enjoying the ride.

Amen!

Great post Giordano.

Realy don't get where your coming from Barry?

I think most people realise that we are viewed in many people's eyes as a small parochial club in this country, let alone abroad. We get that, but what is so wrong about TRYING to change that perception, yes we know that we will probably have to pay a premium on players to push ourselves forward. Are you saying we shouldn't even try?

Once weve consolidated as a recognised premier league club, which gives us 60+ million a year. This gives us the chance to keep our youngsters like JWP,Shaw & who knows how good Chambers & Isgrove will prove to be. Topped off with a couple of good signings each year means we can push forward & who knows we may actually over time change those said perceptions.

As of everything in life you decide to live it which involves pushing yourself, taking caculated risks & simply doing it. Or taking the safe option not pushing yourself, dont take a caculated risk. Which means you stagnate don't push on.

Great post Giordano.

Realy don't get where your coming from Barry?

I think most people realise that we are viewed in many people's eyes as a small parochial club in this country, let alone abroad. We get that, but what is so wrong about TRYING to change that perception, yes we know that we will probably have to pay a premium on players to push ourselves forward. Are you saying we shouldn't even try?

Once weve consolidated as a recognised premier league club, which gives us 60+ million a year. This gives us the chance to keep our youngsters like JWP,Shaw & who knows how good Chambers & Isgrove will prove to be. Topped off with a couple of good signings each year means we can push forward & who knows we may actually over time change those said perceptions.

As of everything in life you decide to live it which involves pushing yourself, taking caculated risks & simply doing it. Or taking the safe option not pushing yourself, dont take a caculated risk. Which means you stagnate don't push on.

I dont want to stagnate hence me saying we should pay a premium and just bite our lip, that does not mean we dont know we are doing it at the same time, paying the price and getting ripped off is different to being conned and and not knowing.

Many on here think we are really in on the Euopean dream, have others premiership clubs not thought of that? Have they not invested as well? Some better in my opinion as well, do you think we are taking risks now? I believe we are not, if we are to truly have a valid European dream we have to steal it from another team, to do that we have to spend more than them or at least the same.

Simply saying we have a good academy and all our players will come good is a pipe dream and there is no basis at all to accept that its right and true as where is the proof? Its a belief, a hope, faith in something we do not know, thats all it is, like God.

I dont want to stagnate hence me saying we should pay a premium and just bite our lip, that does not mean we dont know we are doing it at the same time, paying the price and getting ripped off is different to being conned and and not knowing.

Many on here think we are really in on the Euopean dream, have others premiership clubs not thought of that? Have they not invested as well? Some better in my opinion as well, do you think we are taking risks now? I believe we are not, if we are to truly have a valid European dream we have to steal it from another team, to do that we have to spend more than them or at least the same.

Simply saying we have a good academy and all our players will come good is a pipe dream and there is no basis at all to accept that its right and true as where is the proof? Its a belief, a hope, faith in something we do not know, thats all it is, like God.

There's a whiff of David Brent about Barry.

Similar noises made in the press to do with Wanyama....

How did that one roll out Barry?

TBF Wanyama didnt reject us on multiple occasions. FWIW despite all of Bazzas pandering Im certain this isnt to do with money, we have offered enough apparantly, on both counts. He just doesnt see us as an option.

A lack of European football doesnt help

The Wolfsburg official offer is euros 20m & 2.8m/ annum . Reported on sky sports 24 Italia. Not reported what he feels about it though. Good news if true. Means that there's a chance yet. He might play for Italy against argentine wednesday too so watch out for that ( though we will all be watching SRL

I know!)

The Wolfsburg official offer is euros 20m & 2.8m/ annum . Reported on sky sports 24 Italia. Not reported what he feels about it though. Good news if true. Means that there's a chance yet. He might play for Italy against argentine wednesday too so watch out for that ( though we will all be watching SRL

I know!)

This would be little old regional club Wolfsburg, who play in a 30,000 capacity stadium, and finished a mighty 11th in the Bundesliga last year. They did win it once, and have won the cup once. Nice.