Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

They got enough money really to not need to sell. Wealthy American backers. And now Garcia being quoted saying nice things about Osvaldo plus Totti is being extra friendly with him too....hmmm... Some kind of charm offensive going on here. Plus we not heard of Roma looking for his kind of striker which you would right if they were fixing to sell him right? Hmmmm.

For me, this is getting odder by the day now. The anti- osvaldo fan banners and now all this other stuff is weird and contradictory. A big offer from atletico or someone like that and still think he goes though...

Yeah I had totally forgot about their american owners these days......

I think the words from the manager are the strongest, dont think a new manager would go against directors but it is a weird situation all together....

Well just lets wait and see, I´m 100% confident Cortese and MP knows if there´s a situation to keep working on or not...

The Americans aren't that wealthy, Roma are buying young players and selling them for a huge profit. They don't have financial issues though and don't really need to sell, despite not being in Europe.

But one thing Garcia made clear when he arrived at Roma, was that any transfers in or out would require his final approval. Given what he's said today, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Osvaldo stay at Roma.

Today from http://www.romanews.us/?cat=2

Not good news I think:

Game against Bursaspor

MVP: OSVALDO – He scores and makes up with (almost) all the fans.

Coach says -"AS Roma will be stronger with Osvaldo" http://www.romanews.us/?p=9272

“Osvaldo is a great striker, indeed, great, there are not many like him. “After that, he has spine and talent, I prefer these players to those who have none. It is just that sometime his spine plays some jokes. “There are things he should never do. For me he was wrong, but it is hard not to reply when you get insulted. AS Roma will be stronger with him.”

And then it quotes the Daily Mail saying we are in again for him so that utter bull**** then.

Roma have today formally confirmed their replacement for outgoing sporting director baldini( who went to spurs). Doesn't really matter who he is but it might be the reason that we've not really got anywhere in recent times with this transfer since It kind of broke that we are interested. I don't think it's a coincidence that on the same day the daily mail report we have reignited our interest in Osvaldo. Now nicola has got someone properly in charge to talk to at Roma. Bit of a void until th guy formally appointed.

It's still up to Garcia of course as well as the player but without the sporting director any new deals as against deals already agreed and just panning despite Baldini not being there can maybe now take place. We have some small chances still.

It's not over yet!

There is a new guy in charge of transfers at Roma. It's news alright. If Saints want to buy Osvaldo NC has to speak with the new guy. I surmised that perhaps the recent apparent slowdown may have possibly been due to the handover not being complete. Now the new guy is in we suddenly hear saints have reignited interest. It might be coincidence, or rubbish, or perhaps it might be relevant. You can decide for yourself. But it IS news relevant to this transfer.

This is news, but there has been no further news since your post regarding it, which is what my post was getting at. Apologies for the confusion. I wanted to make everyone aware that there was no further news since your post.

There is a new guy in charge of transfers at Roma. It's news alright. If Saints want to buy Osvaldo NC has to speak with the new guy. I surmised that perhaps the recent apparent slowdown may have possibly been due to the handover not being complete. Now the new guy is in we suddenly hear saints have reignited interest. It might be coincidence, or rubbish, or perhaps it might be relevant. You can decide for yourself. But it IS news relevant to this transfer.

Walter Sabatini is the main man in charge of transfers at Roma, doubt Baldissoni's appointment changes too much in that respect.

Sabatini IS a Boss man. But the new guy (Baldissoni) replaces Baldini. Baldini has always been a wheeler dealer. Hes just pulling in Soldado for spurs as we speak for 26 m euros plus bonuses....the new guys cv says a legal and financial background. I'd still suggest he is relevant and this installation / new appointment may not have helped any ongoing negotiations. NC has a similar background. Maybe there is common ground..

If its not osvaldo losing face then its not news on him. Please feel free to start a thread on the rights and wrongs of losing faces in the lounge, please keep this thread to osvaldo news as the OP intended and the forum wishes.

Seemingly a warm thanks from Osvaldo to Totti - maybe he's not leaving Roma?

https://twitter.com/danistone25/status/358993956610113539

(Google Translate: "Although this goal is not as important to me is worth so much x your gesture! Thank you my friend! Thank HUGE CAPTAIN!")

I hope someone can explain the context - I merely saw the tweet...

Roma played a friendly yesterday, they won a penalty, Totti let Osvaldo take the penalty to help him try and restore some confidence. Despite scoring he was still whistled by a certain section of supporters.

Roma played a friendly yesterday, they won a penalty, Totti let Osvaldo take the penalty to help him try and restore some confidence. Despite scoring he was still whistled by a certain section of supporters.

Thanks - now the tweet makes so much more sense :thumbup:

Edit: oh, I see Giordano added an extra layer. Tasty!

Thanks for the updates.

Having read them I don't know if Roma is a football club or a theatrical production.

My gut feeling is shifting to Osvaldo staying, Emperor Totti has given him the thumbs up and is trying to bring him back in from the cold with the baying Ultra mob.

Ossie will put on a few grovelling apologies, score some spectacular goals and be clutched firmly back to the breast of the 'family'.

In a year or two they will be making statues of him.

:lol:

I know Italian football has some big problems but supporting Roma sounds a right laugh. English football has become quite clinical in comparison.

Update today : from Calciomercato in the Corriere dello sera by Gabriele Saccone (reliable journo).

Paraphrased: Sabatini has not changed his view that Osvaldo is on the market. Notwithstanding that various roman players have been extra conciliatory including captain totti about him, Sabatini still appears to be looking for buyers for osvaldo at the earliest possible opportunity. He remains first on the transfer list-out of players at Roma. Repeats that he scored 35 goals in Seria A (not the exagerated 200 of his comment to a tifosi the other day..) and is available for between 15 and 20million euros which would help roma with the funds to buy admired other targets.

Seems fairly unequivocal. Sabatini wants rid of the guy. Sabatini is the one who wants him out....fingers crossed...

further update: Sabatini talking with garcia today about what to do about Osvaldo...maybe not so unequivocal. An Online poll of voters vote 80% want him to stay at Roma btw(out of 646 votes).

Link:http://www.calciomercatoweb.it/ultime-calciomercato/2013/07/23/calciomercato-roma-sabatini-non-cambia-idea-osvaldo-e-sul-mercato/

Edited by Giordano
added link

I have put a bit of effort into following up every lead I can find on this possible transfer but still feel about as confused as you tbh.

My gut feel is that his agent is waiting for other mega transfers to create a domino effect ultimately leading to demand (and a nice fee) to release his quality striker.

Higuain looks like hes gone to Napoli for 37+3m euros and a 6m pa salary (1m more than he was on at RM) and what with Negredo, Jovetic, Soldado, Falcao, Cavani all gone plus the next wave of Hulk, Damiao, Rooney, a Chelsea striker (?) in all probability there will be options aplenty coming soon from one of the teams that loses a striker and needs a good one fast...if there is a chance a CL team will pick him up all well and good...but if we do get Osvaldo by best guess would be that it would be a last day last hour deal when its clear all other options are closed for him. That is not to disrespect Saints btw, its just business and what i would do if i was his agent, keep us warm but check out if the big boys want him until the last possible moment. The next day it gets announced that " I always knew Southampton were interested in me and once i knew that I always wanted to play in the EPl , and MP is my former coach that helped me become the player i am and the project is exciting so i am happy to be here and i will work my hardest for southampton" ......

I have put a bit of effort into following up every lead I can find on this possible transfer but still feel about as confused as you tbh.

My gut feel is that his agent is waiting for other mega transfers to create a domino effect ultimately leading to demand (and a nice fee) to release his quality striker.

Higuain looks like hes gone to Napoli for 37+3m euros and a 6m pa salary (1m more than he was on at RM) and what with Negredo, Jovetic, Soldado, Falcao, Cavani all gone plus the next wave of Hulk, Damiao, Rooney, a Chelsea striker (?) in all probability there will be options aplenty coming soon from one of the teams that loses a striker and needs a good one fast...if there is a chance a CL team will pick him up all well and good...but if we do get Osvaldo by best guess would be that it would be a last day last hour deal when its clear all other options are closed for him. That is not to disrespect Saints btw, its just business and what i would do if i was his agent, keep us warm but check out if the big boys want him until the last possible moment. The next day it gets announced that " I always knew Southampton were interested in me and once i knew that I always wanted to play in the EPl , and MP is my former coach that helped me become the player i am and the project is exciting so i am happy to be here and i will work my hardest for southampton" ......

Excellent Evaluation , I think you are spot on.

Thanks for your great updates Giordano. Certainly a lot of business to be done with strikers across Europe. Unfortunately we're down the bottom of the pile, but let's hope we can get this one over the line. I would love to take him on the last day, but ideally before!

Higuain is squabbling with Napoli over image rights, not done by any means as of yet. Wasn't he a dead cert to sign for the Arse as well...did I not tell you that it might not yet happen at the time. Arse don't pay enough which is why they won't get Suarez either he'll go to Real.

But would Roma not want to get rid of him well in advance of the closure of the transfer window so they're able to bring in a replacement?

Great evaluation Giordano.

I have also tried to follow this one closely cause IMO this is the perfect striker for us, I rate him extremely high and has followed him the last 3-4 yrs. Unfortunately my italian isn´t there so I´m having trouble finding the best sources and a lot gets lost in translation too...

There are a lot of strikers moving around but I´m having trouble to fit in where Osvaldo could end up. Fiorentina has already covered Jovetic, Sevilla wont reinvest too much of the Negredo money IMO cause they need that money in other ways. Same with Valencia if they sell Soldado and Atletico Madrid has already covered the loss of Falcao. The ones I thought Osvaldo might go to was Napoli but they dont seem too keen on him with all other names flying around. And it seems like Osvaldo dont want to go to Russia but they are still possible. Cant see either Man U or Chelsea going for Osvaldo if they need to cover a loss of a striker.

Besides Napoli I thought maybe Tottenham would be in for him but it seems like Baldini isn´t interested at all. Man C has their needs covered now....

I think in a way its either us or staying at Roma that seems to be the alternatives.....confusing to say the least.

But would Roma not want to get rid of him well in advance of the closure of the transfer window so they're able to bring in a replacement?

You would have thought so but they would probably want to line up a replacement first so as not to leave themselves short.

The only name I've heard is Gilardino (who is 31) but can do an excellent job for them immediately if required. He would be perfect with two young strikers already at Roma. Looking at who they have brought in (Bueno - wide attacker, on loan), and who is injured (Destro- promising young italian international striker) they really only have Totti as a false number 9 and the young but highly rated Lamela to replace Osvaldo. They could get by if they sold Osvaldo alright but none of those are an identikit Osvaldo. Perhaps removing Osvaldo is a route to a new style of play- after all they did NOT have a good season last year..

Sounds a bit like the Wanyama story......player might agree to their bid but the club doesn´t cause they have a higher bid from someone else, us in this case again....

Thought Valencia had no money and had to sell 3 or 4 players this window to stay afloat?

Yeah that too. Counting on cashing in for Soldado, or do they make bids to keep the fans calm and happy...?

Even if they dont get the player they can claim that they tried....

Interesting. You can see why these things take ages and go until August 31st. This is why I find it crazy so many fans criticise clubs for 'delaying transfers' etc. Simple answer is, there are lots of clubs involved and all want the best deal possible. Saints don't seem to be doing anything that doesn't apply to half the clubs in Europe in that regard. It would be great to sign him in June, but who wouldn't wait and see what their options were, and what club wouldn't wait for better bids?

I hope we can get him, he seems like a top goalscorer and something a bit different, and more proven than Damiao so far.

Exactly, and I think it's the same scenario with Damiao. I think he would probably join us but why would he not wait and see who else is interested?

We are now targetting a calibre of player around which squads are built and substantial investment is made. We could go out and pick up half-a-dozen Delaps, McCann's or Higginbottom's and get all our business done "early doors". We could probably even sign half-a-dozen players from La Liga for around £2-3million each "early doors" and one of them might turn out to be great and to have been massively under-priced but the chances are we would end up with a squad of roughly the same ability as it already is. No doubt someone will start blathering about Michu or something. Well, I don't think anyone denies he worked out great but it doesn't mean a bunch of other cheap signings also will. Yes, there are bargains to be had and we have had plenty of them (Clyne, Boruc, Cork, Punch (£250k FFS!)) but we are clearly in the market for a striker who we are confident can perform at the very top level.

Moaning that we haven't yet is like moaning at someone who wants to buy your house for waiting until they've sold theirs.

This thread is getting rather boring now, there has been very little evidence to suggest we are anywhere near to getting him and he really isn't a realistic target. Hopefully there will be some other rumours with a bit more substance in the next few days

I somehow doubt it was ever genuine. Just makes us look ambitious letting unscotched rumours drift around.

Slightly misleading Alpine - Southampton under NC let ALL rumours drift around un-scotched. Pretty much always have done whether the rumours make us look good or make us look bad. It may or may not be genuine that we are interested in this player - fair enough - but that its tolerated misinformation that makes Saints look ambitious without any validity whatsoever to it...really.....as conspiracy theories go id give that only a 3/10.

The only caveat to that was the slip MP made at the last press conference at SMS in which for the first time he admitted interest in named players - VW and Dam I think it was, maybe also Osvaldo. He probably got a telling off from NC for that because otherwise they never say anything about anyone.

Besides, Southampton do not need rumours to show we are an ambitious. We use facts. Like spending millions buying Jrod, GR, VC and DL in recent windows. Like renewing Luke Shaw, Spiderman, AL and others recently..... :-)

Sabatini is in London to try to pick up Gervinho according to Gazzetta.http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/23-07-2013/mercato-roma-sabatini-londra-gervinho-bueno-osvaldo-20831879626.shtml

Walter, mate, when you've done having a word with Peter Hill-wood at Arsenal get on the 19.35 from Waterloo, gets into Soton central at 20.49, get a cab outside to wherever Nicola suggests you meet up for a friendly little chat and sort out this Osvaldo business. Kill two birds with one stone. :-)

Slightly misleading Alpine - Southampton under NC let ALL rumours drift around un-scotched. Pretty much always have done whether the rumours make us look good or make us look bad. It may or may not be genuine that we are interested in this player - fair enough - but that its tolerated misinformation that makes Saints look ambitious without any validity whatsoever to it...really.....as conspiracy theories go id give that only a 3/10.

The only caveat to that was the slip MP made at the last press conference at SMS in which for the first time he admitted interest in named players - VW and Dam I think it was, maybe also Osvaldo. He probably got a telling off from NC for that because otherwise they never say anything about anyone.

Besides, Southampton do not need rumours to show we are an ambitious. We use facts. Like spending millions buying Jrod, GR, VC and DL in recent windows. Like renewing Luke Shaw, Spiderman, AL and others recently..... :-)

I think there was a lot of intent in what Poch said at the last press conference and I have a feeling Cortese was behind much of it.

Pretty sure that they knew they were close to securing Wanyama and they 'spun' that conference in order to go get the most out of it.

If Cortese wasn't happy with the interview then it was strange that the media team made explicit reference to Poch's interest in Wanyama on the OS, along with the line that 'we conduct transfers on our own terms'. That Wanyama signed within days of that interview and then Poch trotted out the same lines about setting our own deadlines for transfers and being a 'serious' club, suggests to me, that Cortese's fingerprints were all over it.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2m

Arsenal have today met Roma to ask about Osvaldo, according to Sky Italy

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 32s

Fulham also had talks with Roma for Osvaldo, according to Sky Italy

Edited by Bewildered

Sabatini is in London to try to pick up Gervinho according to Gazzetta.http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/23-07-2013/mercato-roma-sabatini-londra-gervinho-bueno-osvaldo-20831879626.shtml

Walter, mate, when you've done having a word with Peter Hill-wood at Arsenal get on the 19.35 from Waterloo, gets into Soton central at 20.49, get a cab outside to wherever Nicola suggests you meet up for a friendly little chat and sort out this Osvaldo business. Kill two birds with one stone. :-)

Nicola is in Austria, and apparently having broken his leg is not the most mobile at the moment.