Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

Has any player ever come to the prem for seria A and been a success? I cant think of anyone that has stepped up other than Ravanelli in 96?

Jeepers!

zola, gullitt, henry, di mattio, viera, ballotelli, bergkamp, desailly, di canio to name a few.

Jeepers!

zola, gullitt, henry, di mattio, viera, ballotelli, bergkamp, desailly, di canio to name a few.

Ha what was I thinking

Been a long day and the air con at work has broken down.the brain is obviously not with it today

Hulk to Monaco is not good news. Italian web-press saying this opens the way for big zenit assault of Osvaldo. ...as long as they had all those forwards I thought zenit could not get him.. Now hulk is leaving they have a space...:-(

Hulk to Monaco is not good news. Italian web-press saying this opens the way for big zenit assault of Osvaldo. ...as long as they had all those forwards I thought zenit could not get him.. Now hulk is leaving they have a space...:-(

Not massively bothered, Osvaldo doesn't ''feel'' right to me if i'm honest.

Update by inference:

1. A Southampton representative was in London yesterday according to several Italian papers -notably the big two sports papers/web papers, supposedly to try and tie up the Osvaldo deal. IF true, that suggests to me that there was an Osvaldo rep in London yesterday also. Otherwise they could have done it by phone anywhere, conference call etc so why go to London? So there's a good chance, if story is true, that we met Osvaldo rep in person yesterday.That's a good sign its serious. You can mug someone off by phone or email, once you look them in the eyes it gets harder.

2. We've heard nothing since. That's 24 hours later. Maybe they need to think about things overnight and maybe they need to check it out with Osvaldo himself, but the bottom line is that we have heard NOTHING, not a squeak, regarding the meeting. That's a little bit but not totally unusual.

3. Usually we would hear something from the agents/ other clubs side one way or another.

4. My view though is that to hear NOTHING is totally a 100%Nicola Cortese way of doing business. It suggests we are seriously involved with the other part- and they are taking our interest in them equally seriously- to the extent of not letting any leaks derail a potential deal.

5. They would not be taking it seriously unless it was a potentially realistic deal, or because unusually they are totally professional about the matter and would not mug NC off by advertising they were in talks with a view to smoking out possible other (better) bidders.

6.All of which points to something is going on, probably right now, regarding the transfer of Osvaldo to Southampton.

Yep it´s that London part that was reported yesterday that I found interesting. Why London if there are not representatives meeting but what I didn´t find out was if it was representitives of Roma or of Osvaldo but since it´s reported that Roma is happy with the offer it ought to be Osvaldos....

Giordano, how easy is it to find reports from Romas training camp and their sessions??

We saw the other day Osvaldo running alone on the training ground, was there a particular reason for that?

The other day he cried off a public afternoon session with a calf issue and went to the gym instead. He is training with the squad, there is no exclusion or anything like that going on. Yes there is a live streaming available of most of the roma training camps if you look for it...they have their own channel, newspaper the lot.....https://twitter.com/OfficialASRoma

He appears in a little training video from yesterday but not in anything from training today.

The other day he cried off a public afternoon session with a calf issue and went to the gym instead. He is training with the squad, there is no exclusion or anything like that going on. Yes there is a live streaming available of most of the roma training camps if you look for it...they have their own channel, newspaper the lot.....https://twitter.com/OfficialASRoma

He appears in a little training video from yesterday but not in anything from training today.

Wasn´t he playing in a game yesterday?

Thought I found some reports saying they won a local game with 9-1 with him scoring....(might be lost in translation though)

Just spotted him in the picture from this mornings training.

Incidentally, if you want to go up a few leagues regarding PR I reckon look at how Roma organise their media. Daily press conferences etc, very well thought out and high level stuff. They have a world-wide following 24 hours a day and must deliver content even during off-season. We are doing well enough with what we do, so kudos to our in-house team and not criticising them at all, the opposite, but how Roma do it is something to aspire to in a few years time..

Another boring little bit of inference work....

Roma are playing a friendly versus Bursaspor on Sunday 21st. Then they play Aris Salonika in Greece on the 26th and two days later travel to the USA for more friendly matches. You might be able to find a stream for some of those matches if you are interested in seeing Roma/Osvaldo playing. BUT:

If i was Roma intent on selling Osvaldo I might let him have 45 minutes on the Sunday but probably not want to bring him to America with me (or even to Greece) for that other match. A muscle strain "injury" would be the perfect excuse for all parties if negotiations are ongoing. Lets see if he develops one that means he can't travel.

This kind of gives a little bit of input into possible time frames for a transfer to Saints IF a transfer to Saints happens. Other contributory factors to bear in mind are that Saints are playing in Austria on the 24th and 27th July before popping off to Spain again for the Celta Vigo match on 3rd August. The logistics might give clues as to what is the likeliest time we would optimally like bring in the striker (IF we bring in the striker of course).

Given what we know I'd say that Monday 22nd or Tuesday 23rd July would be likely announcement days if we are getting anyone, not before. I think the players get a day or two off when they get back from Spain but the backroom staff will still be there at SMS + Staplewood - so it seems logical if you are going to announce a signing to do it on one of those two days, preferably from the new Staplewood press room...to inaugurate it with a big name signing (or two...) if you like.

http://www.asromaradio.it/rassegna-stampa/as-roma-tecnica-e-sicurezza-il-baby-jedvaj-conquista-tecnico-e-compagni.html

A bit translated from this article suggests he's turned us down. Which is no surprise considering who else is sniffing interested.

Napoli and Inter Milan move on the player, who has refused Southampton and Zenit (negotiation still possible)

Update by inference:

1. A Southampton representative was in London yesterday according to several Italian papers -notably the big two sports papers/web papers, supposedly to try and tie up the Osvaldo deal. IF true, that suggests to me that there was an Osvaldo rep in London yesterday also. Otherwise they could have done it by phone anywhere, conference call etc so why go to London? So there's a good chance, if story is true, that we met Osvaldo rep in person yesterday.That's a good sign its serious. You can mug someone off by phone or email, once you look them in the eyes it gets harder.

2. We've heard nothing since. That's 24 hours later. Maybe they need to think about things overnight and maybe they need to check it out with Osvaldo himself, but the bottom line is that we have heard NOTHING, not a squeak, regarding the meeting. That's a little bit but not totally unusual.

3. Usually we would hear something from the agents/ other clubs side one way or another.

4. My view though is that to hear NOTHING is totally a 100%Nicola Cortese way of doing business. It suggests we are seriously involved with the other part- and they are taking our interest in them equally seriously- to the extent of not letting any leaks derail a potential deal.

5. They would not be taking it seriously unless it was a potentially realistic deal, or because unusually they are totally professional about the matter and would not mug NC off by advertising they were in talks with a view to smoking out possible other (better) bidders.

6.All of which points to something is going on, probably right now, regarding the transfer of Osvaldo to Southampton.

Mate can I just say I really enjoy your posts, very informative and balanced.

No homo

http://www.asromaradio.it/rassegna-stampa/as-roma-tecnica-e-sicurezza-il-baby-jedvaj-conquista-tecnico-e-compagni.html

A bit translated from this article suggests he's turned us down. Which is no surprise considering who else is sniffing interested.

Napoli and Inter Milan move on the player, who has refused Southampton and Zenit (negotiation still possible)

Interesting article as it summarises a few things from before ( his fall out with the management, fans criticism) recycles old news ( he wasn't interested in us or zenit originally) and adds a few new but not necessarily so things. Like 15m is his price ( it's been 20m up until now) like his team mates like him lots ( probably true- see later) and that he was dropped for an earlier friendly replaced by borriello( not dropped- played a half actually).

I did some extra research last night on Osvaldo andi it is obvious he is one of the main leaders at Roma. A strong character in his own right- in Italy what they call " a point of reference" for the squad - the comparison with SRL is a good one. It is also clear he is "in" with Totti. The super clique at Roma is basically those players close to Totti which include pjanic and borriello as well as Osvaldo. If he is close to Totti it is harder for the management to just unload him, and supporters will tend to lay off. I think Totti has helped him by showing he is close to him, reducing fan issues a bit.

His smiling related demeanour and general body language in and with the team building exercise Roma are doing right now( white water rafting) do not represent a guy hated or ostracised by his colleagues- quite the opposite, so Bradley's words of support for him in the press conference ring very true to me.

That's good AND bad.

It's good because if we do get him it's possible he's not the egotistical ar?whole he is made out to be, which means he should be ok with our nice boys :-) and be a team player for us. It's bad cos if he is so well liked by his team mates then its less likely Roma will release him to anyone including us. I still think he will go as there has been no evidence of rapprochement with his coach Garcia, but we shall see if its to Saints.

Edited by Giordano

Dunno but I got this from tuttomercatoweb, the fans are defo trying to **** him off

ANSAmed) - ROME, JULY 21 - Yesterday was accused of being a coward'''', today has been likened to a worm. Continue in the withdrawal of Rome Riscone Brunico, the challenge for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo from a small group of fans. The striker, defended by much of the rest of the Giallorossi supporters in Val Pusteria, was once again the recipient of a banner displayed on the sidelines of the field where the team trains:'' Indicate, threaten, points the finger ... Osvaldo worm rifardito''.

Why do his fans dislike him so much?

"Some of the club's fans are becoming increasingly angered at the players and the situation has gone from bad to worse since their 1-0 Coppa Italia final defeat to arch-rivals Lazio in May.

A large banner at a training session earlier in the week read: "26-5-13, we will never forget the way you doused Roma in mud," referring to the day they lost to Lazio. Osvaldo abused former coach Aurelio Andreazzoli after the Coppa Italia final loss and then took to Twitter to vent his fury after being a second-half substitute."

Sounds like he had a Puncheon

"Some of the club's fans are becoming increasingly angered at the players and the situation has gone from bad to worse since their 1-0 Coppa Italia final defeat to arch-rivals Lazio in May.

A large banner at a training session earlier in the week read: "26-5-13, we will never forget the way you doused Roma in mud," referring to the day they lost to Lazio. Osvaldo abused former coach Aurelio Andreazzoli after the Coppa Italia final loss and then took to Twitter to vent his fury after being a second-half substitute."

Sounds like he had a Puncheon

Puts the SWF player moans into perspective ;)

Those Italian fans are mental

AS ROMA SUMMER TRAINING CAMP NEWS - “You aim, threaten, point your finger… Osvaldo coward worm” (“Indichi, minacci, punti il dito. Osvaldo verme rifardito”) reads a banner unfurled during this morning’s training session.

RISCONE-OSVALDO-BANNER-COWARD-2.jpg

Probable line up for their match against Bursaspor, they have been training with Lamela as the CF.

AS ROMA (4-3-3): Skorupski; Torosidis, Burdisso, Castan, Balzaretti; Bradley, Pjanic, Strootman; Lamela, Borriello, Totti.

Edited by Convict Colony

As I have posted elsewhere, the football environment in Rome is like no other in the world. The pressure put on the players from the fans and media alike is incredible. You have to be such a strong character to deal with it and succeed there (hence why more have failed than not). Osvaldo's personality clearly is not the right fit for a place like Rome. At times his attitude on the pitch is questionable, and he has reportedly been involved in disagreements with team mates and managers alike, that's what the fans don't like, but I also feel the fans there have been OTT with him. His goal scoring record is second to none.

Having said that, as Giordano has posted above he is largely popular in the Roma squad, and with the main man in particular, Totti.

I've yet to be able to find any reports of him causing problems at Espanyol under MP though, or at clubs before that. I really do believe it just the Roman environment, and I think he'd be absolutely fine here.

AS ROMA SUMMER TRAINING CAMP NEWS - “You aim, threaten, point your finger… Osvaldo coward worm” (“Indichi, minacci, punti il dito. Osvaldo verme rifardito”) reads a banner unfurled during this morning’s training session.

RISCONE-OSVALDO-BANNER-COWARD-2.jpg

That Nicky Cortese bloke, he gets everywhere.

It´s a bit strange the way it is reported now that we are going in with a second bid I think...

It was widely reported that our bid to Roma was sufficient but that Osvaldo turned it down. Then there were some reports of talks in London with representatives but it was never really confirmed.

Why would we make a "second bid" if the first was good enough.

Is it perhaps rather that the talks with representatives has had a breakthrough and that we are close to agreeing a deal with the player and that´s why it is considered to be a second bid...??

I´ve said it earlier, this one would go on for a couple of weeks and will probably not finish before he signs with us, signs for someone else or we sign someone else....

(Dont think he is staying at Roma even though he is good mates with Totti and other players)

Remember we reached agreement on the fee i think last time but it was convincing him.

That was before we heard the directors being recorded that they want rid, the fans turning up to training telling him to jog on maybe we have lowered our bid by 2mil but used that cash to increase his $$, just a thought.

Don't think money is the issue for Osvaldo. Read earlier today that Zenit were reportedly willing to offer him €5m per season, but he is turning them down too. Think he wants to stay in Italy, but a) Roma don't want to strengthen rivals and b) those that want him, Inter mainly, don't have the money that Roma want for him.

Don't think money is the issue for Osvaldo. Read earlier today that Zenit were reportedly willing to offer him €5m per season, but he is turning them down too. Think he wants to stay in Italy, but a) Roma don't want to strengthen rivals and b) those that want him, Inter mainly, don't have the money that Roma want for him.

Good point, the message about not selling to their rivals was loud and clear on their forums, they want him out of italy if they sell.

Maybe by going in again we are showing how much we want him and to build a team around him (a la Gaston) and hope the result is different.

Totti let's him take a penalty today which he scores to make it 1-1 with bursaspor. Subsequently he goes on twitter to thank his captain for the gesture. We are seeing More of this new found obvious love in between Totti and osvaldo. It's widely regarded as a way to calm down the anger of Tifosi against Osvaldo with Totti doing his bit as a sensible captain/ leader and negating the bad atmosphere with fans. Interesting. Still think he is going but it's a new development, I thought it was a bit odd the way he was chumming up with Totti whilst supposedly on his way out. I think Totti is playing peacemaker in case he stays.

Roma's manager Rudi Garcia also said this after the game:

@asroma_uk: Garcia - "Osvaldo made a mistake to respond [to fans], even if it's hard when you're insulted. But Roma will be stronger with him" #asroma

@asroma_uk: Garcia - "Osvaldo is a great striker, there aren't many like him. He has character and talent, and I prefer players like that" #asroma

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Giordano: You know anything about their financial situation?

They have cashed in on Marquinhos and a bit on Stekelenburg I guess but apart from those?

They have bought Strootman and Benatia, which is a combined £26-27m I guess and seems like they want Gervinho for another £5-7m and I would guess that they have players on high wages and no european games coming up next season......was the directors talk about selling Osvaldo a necessary move due to finances perhaps...??