Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Thanks as always for keeping this thread up to date!

I notice that the ‘unwanted players on long contracts, thanks Les’ saga is finally starting to resolve itself.

By next summer, we’ll ‘only’ have 3 of them left (or 4 if you count Forster).

I expect all of the unwanted players with 1 year left will be loaned out for next season then quietly disappear (unless we can actually sell any of them!).

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-31/southampton-fc-academy-sign-four-new-scholars-2020-21

Announcement about four new scholars, although in practice we already knew about three of them - and the OS had already announced one of them. 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-31/southampton-fc-academy-full-scholarship-list-2020-2021

Another eight scholars announced - plus confirmation of the four mentiond above.

Edited by Over land and sea

Some interesting players. Diamond Edwards I remember us being linked to last year, so it must have happened:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-agree-to-sign-attacker-for-significant-fee/amp/

Fedel Ross Lang has been part of the England age group teams.

Goran Babic very highly rated, Serbian midfielder who has been in the Academy for a while.

Lets hope we have the coaching talent to get the best from them.

Leon Pambou was reported earlier this summer:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/exclusive-southampton-sign-16-year-old-defender-leon-pambou/

Good write up on Carson, the LB from NI:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-glentoran-youngster-can-big-18765328.amp

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Over land and sea

He joined Shamrock Rovers in February 

https://shamrockrovers.ie/player/sean-brennan/

He went on loan there but he was on our retained list in July so it wasn’t permanent at that stage.  I suppose he could have gone on a permanent move after the retained list was finalised but I’d be more inclined to say that the Shamrock profiles are as unreliable as ours (well not that bad but unreliable anyway). 

One other possibiity - he joined on loan for the rest of last season and all or part of the coming season e.g. a year long loan or until 31 December 2020.   That would fit him being included in the Shamrock profiles and on our retained list.  If we'd been told we'd know.

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Over land and sea

He joined Shamrock Rovers in February 

https://shamrockrovers.ie/player/sean-brennan/

C'mon MLG, use your investigative Twitter skills to find out if he's still here.  

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Some interesting players. Diamond Edwards I remember us being linked to last year, so it must have happened:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-agree-to-sign-attacker-for-significant-fee/amp/

Fedel Ross Lang has been part of the England age group teams.

Goran Babic very highly rated, Serbian midfielder who has been in the Academy for a while.

Lets hope we have the coaching talent to get the best from them.

Leon Pambou was reported earlier this summer:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/exclusive-southampton-sign-16-year-old-defender-leon-pambou/

Good write up on Carson, the LB from NI:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-glentoran-youngster-can-big-18765328.amp

Diamond Edwards! - I remember that link too.  A rare football-insider exclusive.

Still no update on JRod#2 though, Dusic.  Strange how that's not been announced.  I suppose if he's 17, he can't necessarily be a Scholar as such.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Diamond Edwards signed in January from Reading. Very highly rated by a coach I know who worked with him and Reading certainly didn't want to lose him.

Has a sponsorship deal with Puma already, not sure how many other players get deals like that at 15? 

The GK (Goran) has also trained with England U15's and 16's

8 hours ago, supersonic said:

Diamond Edwards signed in January from Reading. Very highly rated by a coach I know who worked with him and Reading certainly didn't want to lose him.

Has a sponsorship deal with Puma already, not sure how many other players get deals like that at 15? 

A few lads in the U15 team have sponsorships, it's not uncommon. Some of them had them last season too. 

Anyone know if we have a good talent pool in the U16 and below ages?

For a while now we seem to have very few players in the England setup between U17 and U21 so hoping there are some talents emerging.

Goran (Babic) is a midfielder who has been at England and Serbia training camps previously.

On 01/09/2020 at 13:49, Dusic said:

Anyone know if we have a good talent pool in the U16 and below ages?

For a while now we seem to have very few players in the England setup between U17 and U21 so hoping there are some talents emerging.

Goran (Babic) is a midfielder who has been at England and Serbia training camps previously.

Did the OS used to report on U16 matches?  I'm sure they used to do it -- But that's going back a few years, though.

On the Mystery of the Irish Midfielder, it's clear from the Shamrock Rovers website that Sean Brennan is still there (he played games for Shamrock Rovers II during August).  Until we get confirmation one way or the other I'm going to assume it's a loan and have updated the opening post (also to include Alfie Jones' departure).  Probably won't get confirmation until the squad lists are published on the PL website, which I assume will be later this month or after the transfer window closes.

12 minutes ago, Over land and sea said:

Yes, looks pretty conclusive.  Good spot. 

Good to get it confirmed - although I figure the retained lists you post are the main point of reference.  Keep up the top work in this thread, mate. 

Edited by SuperSAINT

On 18/09/2020 at 21:57, Simon3737 said:

Out of interest, when do clubs announce their 25 man (over 21s) squad list?

Is this after the transfer window closes?

Also, I notice the Transfermarkt links you attached list Sims and Hesketh as 1st Team, rather than B Team. Is this because they’re over 23 now?

Yes, assuming previous seasons' practice,  the 25 man squads are announced after the window closes.  I assume squad numbers (i.e. the consolidated list of all clubs' numbers) will be the same (for Saints, that will probably list numbers for most of the B team though some will be confirmed next week when we play in the EFL Trophy).  Certainly last year squad numbers were published alongside squad lists in early September.

Transfermarket only tend to make changes to correct or update data when there is an official source for information (e.g. official club site or Premier League)  I assume therefore that, as Sims and Hesketh are not listed in any squad on the OS, it has listed them where the OS previously listed them i.e.first team.  

I don't think it's age related as Sims still qualifies as U23 this season.  I don't know whether one game is enough for TM to transfer them into the B squad but I've submitted updates citing last night's game - it's at the discretion of the site as to whether it's accepted.  Despite this, I've found the TM site to be one of the more reliable squad lists.  There is provision for players to be listed in more than one list e.g. a B team player that plays occasionally for the first team could be listed in both.

Sam McQueen (who like Hesketh is also over 23) is another who is arguably in the wrong list on TM.  I doubt they would move him as he (along with several other players) still isn't listed on the OS and there is no match evidence to cite  Missing players include Ramsay, Latham, O'Connor and - perhaps more understandbly, Hoedt, Carillo and all the loaned out players.  The OS still lists O'Driscoll and Kozak in thte B team, both of whom have left and its U18 list is even more of a car crash - contains several B team players, several  who have left and omits all the new U18 intake (apart from that ....).

• Like 1

Opening post updated to refelct yesterday's loans.  We have to submit our 25 man squad next week - it looks to me as if we will name 20 players, 4 of whom are 'keepers!  So, just 16 outfield players, one of which is recovering from a long term injury.

• 1. Alex McCarthy
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters
  • 3. Ryan Bertrand
  • 4. Jannik Vestergaard
  • 5. Jack Stephens
  • 6. Oriol Romeu
  • 7. Shane Long
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Danny Ings
  • 10. Ché Adams
  • 11. Nathan Redmond
  • 12. Moussa Djénépo
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong
  • 32. Theo Walcott
  • 35. Jan Bednarek
  • 41. Harry Lewis
  • 44. Fraser Forster
  • 45. Sam McQueen
  • 51. Tyreke Johnson
  • Kingsley Latham

That assumes we don't name any of the loaned out players who are over 21 (we may name Sims I suppose, though we don't need to as we can adjust the list in January when his loan ends).

Full season loans

• 28. Angus Gunn
  • 42. Jake Hesketh
  • Wesley Hoedt
  • Mohamed Elyounoussi
  • Mario Lemina

Until January 2021

• 39. Josh Sims
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Over land and sea said:

Opening post updated to refelct yesterday's loans.  We have to submit our 25 man squad next week - it looks to me as if we will name 20 players, 4 of whom are 'keepers!  So, just 16 outfield players, one of which is recovering from a long term injury.

• 1. Alex McCarthy
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters
  • 3. Ryan Bertrand
  • 4. Jannik Vestergaard
  • 5. Jack Stephens
  • 6. Oriol Romeu
  • 7. Shane Long
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Danny Ings
  • 10. Ché Adams
  • 11. Nathan Redmond
  • 12. Moussa Djénépo
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong
  • 32. Theo Walcott
  • 35. Jan Bednarek
  • 41. Harry Lewis
  • 44. Fraser Forster
  • 45. Sam McQueen
  • 51. Tyreke Johnson
  • Kingsley Latham

That assumes we don't name any of the loaned out players who are over 21 (we may name Sims I suppose, though we don't need to as we can adjust the list in January when his loan ends).

Full season loans

• 28. Angus Gunn
  • 42. Jake Hesketh
  • Wesley Hoedt
  • Mohamed Elyounoussi
  • Mario Lemina

Until January 2021

• 39. Josh Sims

Where’s Salisu and Diallo and Walcott in that list....?

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Where’s Salisu and Diallo and Walcott in that list....?

Salisu and Diallo are u21. Walcott is in the list, #32, just below Armstrong

Squad is threadbare, when you consider how many keepers are there, long term injuries (doubt we will register McQueen, is he really still at the club?). I know we have u21s as well, but still.

• Like 1

Thanks as always!

I notice that the 3 over 21s who you’ve listed as B Team on your opening post (Latham, Johnson and McQueen) are now the only 3 players missing from the official site Teams pages (1st Team or B Team).

Not sure if this means they’re all out of favour or just bad website maintenance.

We didn’t name any of those 3 players in the official 25 man squad announced at the start of the season either, so maybe they’ll stick with just 17 over 21s in the official squad.

I seem to remember that Marcus Barnes was over 21 and excluded from the list last season (although that might be because we had one to many over 21s).

Yes those are the remaining omissions from the First Team and B Team.  Almost certainly website maintenance.

The U18s is missing all the new scholars and Ethan Burnett (assuming he's still at the club).

There does seem to be be consistency in that all loaned out players are not listed - in previous years it has been hit and miss.

I recall Barnes being excluded from the September list when we had to exclude someone because we exceeded 25 players.  He was added back in the January list.  I thought it was the season before last but perhaps it was last season.

• Like 1