The Southampton Transfer Committee...

Glasgow_Saint

It wasn't even an opinion though...etc.etc.

'Adriansfc' you keep posting sensible, well-thought out views and opinions on this forum.

Stop it.

Please revert to semi-mentally ill negativity, snidey not-quite-as-funny-as-I-think-I-am, plainly made-up stuff and clearly trying to get an angry reaction remarks.

I will continue to lurk and look for your posts and others that I like reading whilst rarely contributing myself - as I don't usually log-on this means my extensive block list is pointless.

Thank you for your opinion. My opinion is I disagree strongly, and this kind of nihilistic post is the sort of comment that I find exasperating at times on this site.

In terms of his performances to date he has underperformed id say, but the gap between that and worst ever signing - wow that's some stretch! It seems to me to betray your habitual tendencies towards pessimism, for which you are infamous on this site. Being a Saints supporter of over 40 years I do share some of those tendencies - but to attribute them to this player based on last season - well I think you are wrong. He can do much better, but it is the rest of the players around him who need to up their levels a bit also.

Depends how you define "worst". I use value-for-money.

Seeing as he was our most expensive player up until last season....by far.....the bar for value-for-money was much higher for him.

It wasn't even an opinion though, it never is. It's not like he explained calmly his doubts about Ramirez be it in terms of technique, attitude, physicality etc. I'm not even sure it can just be written off as negativity, as it's never a fully formed opinion and contradicts every 5 minutes. Just the vitriolic ramblings of a very unclear mind unable to see anything objectively. I wish the ignore option actually worked but he dominates and gets quoted too much for it to do anything. Loads of people get banned or infractions yet he spends year after year posting unsustainable reactionary garbage, trolling and swearing at everyone. I doubt I'll last long myself at this rate, it becomes less enjoyable each year which is crazy when you consider our recent success. Definitely think I'll take a break until there's actual games on and the decent posters are around.

And there are many, many good posters. Not necessarily positive, or of the same opinion. The best threads often contradict your own opinion or involve people with more knowledge of players, away games, youth games etc. People like Alpine try to justify their childish behaviour with the equally childish 'oh I'm not allowed this opinion then' etc., always trying to pit everyone against him despite the fact his posts only range from illiterate nonsense to abuse.

But it won't change will it.

He'll think we're all saying 'Ramirez will be brilliant', and use that every week he isn't. Yet any half sensible fan knows players can take time to settle in and a talented young player could well have a good second season. I find it odd anyone would think he'd get worse. He may stay the same, inconsistent etc., but why worse? Also, does anyone else think we'd have survived without him? He had some very good games which we happened to win. The expectation was largely because our fans aren't used to paying those kind of sums for players. Now we've signed 2 more of similar scale.

At what point is anyone happy? I find it crazy. How great is it to keep a player like Shaw? For Schneiderlin to be staying put. Are we really so ungrateful that we've forgotten year after year of losing any player with ability like that? A good team has been improved with 2 great signings, and there's money there for more. It's fine to discuss negatives, have views on players if you've watched them a lot, believe we need more in certain areas (what team doesn't), but if your general disposition to the position of the club currently is still negative, it'll never be any different and I struggle to see any benefit to the person or club in continued support.

Jesus wept, you have a problem...

£12m doesnt seem to get you much these days............

Our committee have spent £20 MILLION on Gaston, Vegard Forren & Emmanuel Mayuka :facepalm:

And recouped most of the money on the only player not here anymore....the other two are still business assetts that wont make a loss until they´re sold for less than we bought them.

Depends how you define "worst". I use value-for-money.

Seeing as he was our most expensive player up until last season....by far.....the bar for value-for-money was much higher for him.

But that only works out if you think there is zero value left now, which it definitely isn´t.

I have Alpine on ignore, he most negative poster.....

I will continue to lurk and look for your posts and others that I like reading whilst rarely contributing myself - as I don't usually log-on this means my extensive block list is pointless.

You gotta love these "Looook at meeeeee" posts. As if anyone gives a sh*t...

My version

In its own class

Rickie Lambert

Good Transfers

Artur Boruc

Maya Yoshida

Nathaniel Clyne

Jay Rodriguez

Jack Cork

Billy Sharp

Ambivalent Transfers

Goolie

Steven Davis

Richard Chaplow

Danny Fox

Bad Transfers

Emmanuel Mayuka

Tadanari Lee

Steve de Ridder

Jonathan Forte

Dany N'Guessan

Vegard Forren

Gastón Ramírez

TBC

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

Paulo Gazzaniga

I agree about the frustration; I think we are 3 or 4 players short. Would love to know where the problem lies; wouldnt be surprised if it is something to do with our negotiation strategy.

Agree with this post Alpine, expect Chaplow and Davis, both were so cheap, 50k for Shappers and Davis was under a mil (am I right there),,,, for a prem league player thats amazing.... SUrely fees have to be taken into account.

You gotta love these "Looook at meeeeee" posts. As if anyone gives a sh*t...

The same old posters post on every thread complaining about posters and telling us all their ignore list........... Its these same posters that derail every thread and then have the cheek to complain about threads being derailed. :facepalm: :spaz:

And recouped most of the money on the only player not here anymore....the other two are still business assetts that wont make a loss until they´re sold for less than we bought them.

Forren cost us over a million in fees & wages................. money well spent?

the thing that get's me with the Gaston-bashing is that there are some on here who, because we spent a lot of money on him, appear to actually want him to do badly. They passed no comment on him when he did produce some telling moments last season, appear blind to see that he is clearly a talented player even if he undoubtedly struggled to produce anything like his bets form on a consistent basis, and seem to be wishing away the days until we apparently inevitably sell him at loss, which I doubt we will.

It is bizarre attitude that leads me to think that some on here would in fact be happier if we were relegated and "good solid pros who always give you 100%" blah blah blah, rather than trying to bring in talented young players from around the world, who could turn out to be top players.

For what it's worth, although I agree that the signings of Banega, Damiao and Osvaldo are very ambitious for where we currently are, and quite probably won't happen, as far as I am aware none of them have moved elsewhere, so can we say that they are 100% dead in the water?

Forren cost us over a million in fees & wages................. money well spent?

A million in the PL is nothing at all. If we are getting £60m a season just from TV it puts that into perspective.

From reports we got most our money back from Molde anyway.

Some transfers work out and some don't. That is life. No team has ever had every transfer be a hit. We have a pretty high % of those turning out well so I don't see how you can say they are doing a bad job? We brought in the right players at the right time to do a job in the league we were in. The league one guys have been replaced (most of them) and the Championship guys are now being replaced. It is a natural evolution of the club. You don't get anything for free so you have to spend money to bring in players. When you are a PL club you have to pay a **** load more for players due to everyone knowing you have cash.

the thing that get's me with the Gaston-bashing is that there are some on here who, because we spent a lot of money on him, appear to actually want him to do badly. They passed no comment on him when he did produce some telling moments last season, appear blind to see that he is clearly a talented player even if he undoubtedly struggled to produce anything like his bets form on a consistent basis, and seem to be wishing away the days until we apparently inevitably sell him at loss, which I doubt we will.

It is bizarre attitude that leads me to think that some on here would in fact be happier if we were relegated and "good solid pros who always give you 100%" blah blah blah, rather than trying to bring in talented young players from around the world, who could turn out to be top players.

For what it's worth, although I agree that the signings of Banega, Damiao and Osvaldo are very ambitious for where we currently are, and quite probably won't happen, as far as I am aware none of them have moved elsewhere, so can we say that they are 100% dead in the water?

Cobblers. You and others are over-analysing (with or without an agenda, I cannot say which...)

Cant you accept that after the protracted transfer, some us are simply massively disappointed with what was delivered ?

Wages on the other two = circa 4.4m for the last 12 months. Thats revenue from 7,500 season tickets wasted

Ramirez, second best non-striker goalscorer last season that also put in a few good assists, helping a newly promoted team finish 14th when 17th would be good enough for 95% of the fans.

No waste in my book.

Of course. Fine by me.

Can you also accept that in the meantime some of us in these parts simply dont rate him, and are entitled to do so ?

As long it is some sensible constructiv criticism I have no problem what so ever....

Cobblers. You and others are over-analysing (with or without an agenda, I cannot say which...)

Cant you accept that after the protracted transfer, some us are simply massively disappointed with what was delivered ?

No agenda, and yes, I can accept that some are disappointed with what Gaston has produced - I would put myself in that category as well, having seen in flashes what he can produce.

That I can accept, but this whole putting him in the "bad transfer" category in this thread, and some of the ludicrous chat in dozens of previous threads about him being a total waste of money, "Gashton" etc, I find tougher to accept.

Will reiterate what I have said all along about him, that I think he is one of the most talented players in the squad and am hoping that after a year to settle in, he will start to produce on a more consistent basis next season. I will also reiterate, that if he does do exactly that, I believe that some on here will genuinely be a bit annoyed about it - not directing this directly at you Alps - as they won't be able to slag him off every week.

No agenda, and yes, I can accept that some are disappointed with what Gaston has produced - I would put myself in that category as well, having seen in flashes what he can produce.

That I can accept, but this whole putting him in the "bad transfer" category in this thread, and some of the ludicrous chat in dozens of previous threads about him being a total waste of money, "Gashton" etc, I find tougher to accept.

Will reiterate what I have said all along about him, that I think he is one of the most talented players in the squad and am hoping that after a year to settle in, he will start to produce on a more consistent basis next season. I will also reiterate, that if he does do exactly that, I believe that some on here will genuinely be a bit annoyed about it - not directing this directly at you Alps - as they won't be able to slag him off every week.

good post. in hindsight I should have put him in the TBC list

Very harsh to put Ramirez in the bad transfer category. Yes, he hasn't been a star player for us, and I understand with the price tag we might expect that. However, he certainly hasn't been bad and has been very good at times and good the rest of the time. Let's wait and see this season.

How would you rate the committee?

Spoke to a contact this morning and he describes the summer as "frustrating" and alluded to targets being reassessed.

Good Transfers

Artur Boruc

Maya Yoshida

Nathaniel Clyne

Jay Rodriguez

Jack Cork

Bad Transfers

Emmanuel Mayuka - still here, only 22 has a four year contract too early to judge.

Paulo Gazzaniga - a young goalkeeper signed for not much from league 2, has performed as I would expect a young unrpoven keepr to play, has some talent and wasn;t a big fee. Plenty of time to improve.

Tadanari Lee - showed promise, basically his time here was blighted by injuries and the squad has moved on.

Steve de Ridder - did ok, some pace on the wing, doubt he cost much and again the club has moved too fast for him

Danny Fox - a solid championship left back who is not quite prem standard, again hwo is this a bad transfer when he was signed for the championship season?

Jonathan Forte - again squad has progressed to quickly for him but barely cost us anything, decent enough league one player

Dany N'Guessan - 6 month loan so who cares, clasping at straws here

Vegard Forren - Odd one, signed with hype and promise odd to see him shipped back out with no first team apperances, must be more to the story than we no.

Gastón Ramírez - most talented player at the club, one year doesn't make a transfer, personally I think he had an ok season considering the injuries, plenty of time for him to improve.

TBC

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

The only bad transfer is Forren, who we made a loss on and we don't know the reasons behind it

Simply you can't judge transfers on one season especially if they are young players. Morgan is our own example of this.

The only bad transfer is Forren, who we made a loss on and we don't know the reasons behind it

Simply you can't judge transfers on one season especially if they are young players. Morgan is our own example of this.

If that's the case, why did you not comment on the judgement of Clyne, Yoshida and Rodriguez as good signings? If you can't judge on bad transfers, surely you can't judge on good transfers either, and they were worthy of as much detailed commentary from you as the "bad" ones?

Of those you listed as "bad transfers" I'd agree with...

Tadanari Lee

Vegard Forren

Take these signings in context...

Jonathan Forte - his goals vs MK Dons were very important, obviously surplus in the Premier League

Dany N'Guessan - a short term loan that served a purpose to cover injuries and helped gain promotion from League One in the few games he had

Steve de Ridder - played a role in gaining promotion from the Championship.

This one I really don't understand why you have labelled it as a "bad transfer"...

Danny Fox - Yes, he isn't great in the Premier League, but look at the signing in context. He was signed when Saints were in the the Championship and played a key role in promotion.

And now for...

Emmanuel Mayuka - he is only 22 and although he has had only a small amount of game-time I think he looks promising. Far too early to be writing him off.

Paulo Gazzaniga - Again, very young for a keeper and it is far too early to be writing him off because of a couple of errors in the 1st team

Gastón Ramírez - An extremely good player, young and yes he can being frustrating but I think he will come good. Last season he had no pre-season with Saints, a bad injury, a family bereavement and had to adapt to a new country. Lets not write him off just yet. This season will give us a better idea.

Not a bad summary. There are the pint half empty people who will write everyone off unless they they are regularly in the national 'team of the week'. And there will be the pint half full people who see good in everyone - including Forren who they will argue was good enough but lacked the 'character' to settle in a new country. The summary you have provided gives a decent balanced view, recognising that some were bought for a specific purpose and once they served that purpose they were surplus to requirements.

What fascinates me from these 'pre-season uncovered' videos is the positive impact the likes of Kelvin, Fox and Jos have on the spirit in the camp irrespective of their performance on the pitch. People underestimate the importance of these roles sometimes.

If that's the case, why did you not comment on the judgement of Clyne, Yoshida and Rodriguez as good signings? If you can't judge on bad transfers, surely you can't judge on good transfers either, and they were worthy of as much detailed commentary from you as the "bad" ones?

What am I going to comment in detail on the others?

Yeh he's been good last season, might be bad next year. If he's bad next season is it then a bad signing?

My finishing comment also applied to ALL transfers mentioned. I just didn't see much point in going into detail for the supposed 'good' ones.

The OP is also obviously slanted to post a negative picture of the transfer committee, hence the inclusion of the likes of N'Guessan.

I'm not too sure what people expect. Like every other club in the world, our transfer record is right in the middle between good and bad regardless of how players are targeted and signed. However, it has been good enough to support the aspirations of the club ahead of schedule the future has never looked as bright, so I don't really understand why people want to argue over it.

I think that there might be a scientific way to decide this.

You could ask a panel of soccer experts to give a value to each of these signings out of 100. The value would represent what benefit they had brought to Saints overall in whatever ways ~ be it goals, assists, tackles, league points, increased transfer value, ticket sales, season tickets sales, attractiveness to other players/neutral fans, shirt sales, world-wide exposure, international and domestic reputation and so on.

In the case of Gaston and Yoshida for instance you might find that they had as many off the pitch benefits as on the pitch. Take the example of Ronaldinho / Kaka at Milan, Barca and RM, amongst the highest transfer fees ever yet precious few goals in latter years - but in endorsements, shirts etc #plenty.

More signings will come - nobody is disputing that!!

The concern is that top targets have been missed and we are now targetting 6/7/8th choices. this isnt a concern for you?

We have posters saying "no thanks" to Torres, Demba Ba, Leandro Damiao and Loïc Rémy. How will they feel when Emil Hallfredsson signs?

If you really were ITK, then you'd know that we aren't panicking by any means. But you're not, so you're just trolling. Again.

I think it's hilarious that it's even under debate to be honest.

We've had 4 great years, the previous 3 we won most weeks and enjoyed some of the best success we've had in the last 10-15 years, yet people think the transfers have been poor.

In fact, our transfer process over the last few seasons has been bang on in most cases. Every club will sign a dud or 2, it happens, but we've done very well to get the players we have.

I think the fact we're about to embark on a 2nd year of PL football, whilst being linked with the likes of Banega, offers a very strong case to suggest that our transfer policy has been pretty bang on in the last few years. If it hadn't been, i doubt we'd be here, would we?

As with everything in the walk of life, there's always room for improvement, but we're not really in a bad place at all.

We've had 4 great years, the previous 3 we won most weeks and enjoyed some of the best success we've had in the last 10-15 years, yet people think the transfers have been poor.

In fact, our transfer process over the last few seasons has been bang on in most cases. Every club will sign a dud or 2, it happens, but we've done very well to get the players we have.

I think the fact we're about to embark on a 2nd year of PL football, whilst being linked with the likes of Banega, offers a very strong case to suggest that our transfer policy has been pretty bang on in the last few years. If it hadn't been, i doubt we'd be here, would we?

As with everything in the walk of life, there's always room for improvement, but we're not really in a bad place at all.

good post. This pretty much closes the thread. Don't see how any Saints fan can actually say our transfer committee have done a poor job at all.

good post. This pretty much closes the thread. Don't see how any Saints fan can actually say our transfer committee have done a poor job at all.

Has anyone said that then? Overall they've done well; some good signings so far, some poor signings so far.

Top post! I have been watching us since 84 and I can safely say that this is the strongest I have seen us.

It gets on my nerves when people *so called fans* slag the systems we have in place off, we are going through a transition period. We will come good and I will look forward to reading other posts when we are in Europe in 2/3 years.

*await the abuse*

I think that there might be a scientific way to decide this.

You could ask a panel of soccer experts to give a value to each of these signings out of 100. The value would represent what benefit they had brought to Saints overall in whatever ways ~ be it goals, assists, tackles, league points, increased transfer value, ticket sales, season tickets sales, attractiveness to other players/neutral fans, shirt sales, world-wide exposure, international and domestic reputation and so on.

In the case of Gaston and Yoshida for instance you might find that they had as many off the pitch benefits as on the pitch. Take the example of Ronaldinho / Kaka at Milan, Barca and RM, amongst the highest transfer fees ever yet precious few goals in latter years - but in endorsements, shirts etc #plenty.

With Yoshida I see it as it will have had some impact for the red-shirt obsessed idiots in the entirity of the Orient. But has Gaston really delivered more in endorsements/shirt sales compared to, say, Lambert or Lallana? Certainly not a Kaka like impact anyway.