The Southampton Transfer Committee...

Glasgow_Saint

There are very few signings since the ML takeover (and I don't include short term loans), that have not made our team or squad stronger a each articular moment in time. I would say 95% have played a part (if not crucial part) in getting us to where we are today.

I think we have done well in spite of the committee.

Thankfully the core of the team remains from before the committee commenced.

Lambert, Fonte, Davis, Lallana, Shaw, Morgan, Puncheon ect ect all with us since league 1.

Lambert an Puncheon were signed post take over and Shaw was at school!!

I think we have done well in spite of the committee.

Thankfully the core of the team remains from before the committee commenced.

Lambert, Fonte, Davis, Lallana, Shaw, Morgan, Puncheon ect ect all with us since league 1.

Agree, if it wasn't for the transfer committee we would be in the Champions League already.

Overall I would give the transfers a healthy 8/10 with the positives outweighing the negatives. To name a negative though,,, Falque? That was a strange one too on loan and used once in a league cup game maybe.

Don't know why everyone is knocking Lee? Especially those who've said Chaplow and Forte are good signings because they cost us next to nothing and made a vital contribution.

Lee was free, gave us the beginnings of an Eastern following and also superbly set up Lambert's winner vs Leeds...

For every Morgan there is 10-20 that never improve.

Not really true at all, most players unless they are wholly unprofessional will improve over time, some though just start at way too high a level. Youngsters might play in the youth teams of Utd but not be good enough but then drop down into the lower leagues get more game time and improve from there to their max level.

In our own squad we have Lallana, Shaw, JWP, Clyne, Cork, Puncheon, Lambert etc. are all examples of players that have improve their game since they first stating appearing for us. they range from 18 to 31, yet all have improved so you your 'statistic' is just made up nonsense.

Don't know why everyone is knocking Lee? Especially those who've said Chaplow and Forte are good signings because they cost us next to nothing and made a vital contribution.

Lee was free, gave us the beginnings of an Eastern following and also superbly set up Lambert's winner vs Leeds...

Spot on. A good signing.

Top post! I have been watching us since 84 and I can safely say that this is the strongest I have seen us.

It gets on my nerves when people *so called fans* slag the systems we have in place off, we are going through a transition period. We will come good and I will look forward to reading other posts when we are in Europe in 2/3 years.

*await the abuse*

No abuse from me pal. Your sentiments are shared by me and the sensible majority (trying to avoid using Richard Nixon's Silent Majority but it feels a bit like that!). Some of the hysterical tarts on here have been spoiled since 2009. I thought the reactions to the rumoured signing of the Icelandic winger from Verona summed it up. Sunderland have also been linked to him but the responses on there were far more considered and fair minded and they had a grotty season and have Di Canio in charge, so they should in theory feel less happy with their lot than ours. Anyway, if you look him up he can also play wing back so that's Fox out on loan. Wouldn't people be happy with that as well as a left sided offensive option from the bench if needed. We might sign someone else anyway, we know Saints look at a lot of different targets.

Yes, there were mistakes with haphazard CB recruitment last summer and I was very vocal about that at the time. We got lucky with suspensions/injuries and the early signing of Lovren tells me lessons were learned. However, the club's progress over the last 4 years ought to buy them a bit of patience. Rant over.

Spot on. A good signing.

I'm not quite sure how people can say he was a good signing. He joined us, ran around a lot, scored a good goal and set up lambert then got injured and has hardly played in a season and a half. When he did play last season he looked our of his depth. The injury wasnt his fault obviosuly but he isnt a premier league player, he's popular and great things were predicted of him by some based on a couple of good performances against midtable championships sides. If 2 or 3 good games in a season and a half constitutes a good signing then please let me know what makes a bad one.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmmmm........

reluctantnicko: @tom7lawrence There will be a storm if it stays this quiet. Coach wanted players. The Don demanded the cheque book ... Who to blame now?

reluctantnicko: @tom7lawrence No. The Don wanted control. He got control. If he can't sign players it is on him. No-one else

Mmmmmm........

reluctantnicko: @tom7lawrence There will be a storm if it stays this quiet. Coach wanted players. The Don demanded the cheque book ... Who to blame now?

reluctantnicko: @tom7lawrence No. The Don wanted control. He got control. If he can't sign players it is on him. No-one else

If true about right, "the don" with a chequebook and Leslie in tow have as much pull as Hawking does in a playboy mansion.

• 5 months later...
Like I said before, I know from inside the club that cortese signed osvaldo and ramirez and les reed chose wanyama and lovren.i think we will get better signings without corteses influence

So what sort of committee is it if individual members are signing players? And was Mopo just sitting in silence?

MoPo deffo had influence on Osvaldo, dont bull **** us on that, yea NC agreed it but it was not 100% him, fee was too high maybe he can be to blame for that ? should of paid no more then 12 mill for him, 15 mill is mental.

12m ??? Lol lets say a lot less than that please...

We shouldn't have bought him at all but he is not worth that kind of money... Is he better JR, SRL .... No he isn't ..... Was a very inflated price to pay for a liability ...

Theres a lot of guff on this page isnt there.........

True, but you have never caught me saying

Guly

Mayuka

De Ridder

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Hooiveld

Forren

Lee

For a very approx amount of £40 Million are great, anything with an accountant and Leslie "Charlton" Reed in it and leading the line is bound to end up a pile of shiit.

Our transfer policy must have been one of the most successful nationwide under Cortese. Mostly good or excellent with only a handful of poor decisions.

I wait to see if this excellent record can be sustained post Cortese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but you have never caught me saying

Guly

Mayuka

De Ridder

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Hooiveld

Forren

Lee

For a very approx amount of £40 Million are great, anything with an accountant and Leslie "Charlton" Reed in it and leading the line is bound to end up a pile of shiit.

You need certain people in certain positions. Adkins, Reed, NC, the scouts, MoPo can all be accountable in certain aspects. Nobody is above reproach from a footballing POV, Arsenal, City and Utd have some of the top scouts in the game and buy the odd flop.

Lee and Hoovield were good signings, both fell pray to our rise up the leagues and Lee was also due to injuries.

Guly is a strange one on that list as clearly he has been a decent signing from league 1 upwards.

Mayuka and Forren have been obvious flops for me, Mayuka never impressed me much whenever Ive seen him, apparantly Forren had some homesick issues and never fit in at the club hence his exit.

Ramirez and Ossie ? Clearly have talent, osvaldo is the worst of the two, fruitloop, we took a chance on his obvious quality and it didnt work out. Ramirez ? I think he will come good, certainly looked that way for me before his injury.

All in all I cant see how you can argue about whether its worked or not as clearly our rise from league 1 to being amoungst top four form before injuries in a small space of time proves we have been doing better then ok, unless there is an agenda in there somewhere ?

Also ignoring what Reed has brought to the club from a sporting sense (academy, scouting, training) is pretty ignorant aswell, unless as stated before, there are other motives ?

Our transfer policy must have been one of the most successful nationwide under Cortese. Mostly good or excellent with only a handful of poor decisions.

I wait to see if this excellent record can be sustained post Cortese.

So the above transfers mentioned you think have been good?

Jealous much? :facepalm:

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Most popular SWF poster ever

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Almost 10,000 profile visits

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

Wow, when you put it like that - how can anyone disagree....?

More impressive than any of those is how you managed to type the list whilst masturbating furiously looking into a mirror, not your computer screen.

Hooiveld was key in getting promoted our first season in the Championship, he made back his fee many times over Barry.

No he has not as what would we sell him for? In a business sense of being in the PremierLeague and him being part of that yes but that did not and does not make him a good signing then and now.

Guly - excellent signing, not up to the Premier League, but quality in League One. 9/10

Mayuka - worth taking a risk on given is prior record. Would recommend taking a risk on similar players again. Loath to write him off completely as still young. In mayuka's case 2/10, but feel club did the right thing, and need to take risks like this to find gems, so overall 5/10.

De Ridder, alright I guess, never a fan, hated the chant, but showed pace. Not an awful Championship signing, but certainly not a good one. 3/10.

Osvaldo, not a player I've taken to. Outstanding quality. Hit and miss. By international striker prices we certainly didn't overpay, but I'm not seeing a consistent international forward. Love the ambition shown by the club, could help encourage other bigger names to join. Don't want to judge too much after 6 months 4/10.

Ramirez, young, learning, obviously talented. Will hold his transfer value, so probably just need to evaluate his wage. Not there yet, could make it. 4.5/10

Hooiveld, was just what we needed to sure up our defence in the Championship. Obviously better than Seaborne or Martin. Not skilful enough for Prem, but doubt we'd be here without him 7/10

Forren, good risk, who knows why it failed. Much of the fee recouped. And the type of risk that I'd encourage, you might just land yourself a Pahars. 3/10 (for the risk not the player)

Lee, good signing, suffered badly from injuries after an excellent start. Was great in the Championship, not Prem quality, hard to criticise the transfer 6/10

Like I said before, I know from inside the club that cortese signed osvaldo and ramirez and les reed chose wanyama and lovren.i think we will get better signings without corteses influence

So the two flops were down to Nicola, and the two success's down to Reed, who was the insider who gave you this information, Reed?

No he has not as what would we sell him for? In a business sense of being in the PremierLeague and him being part of that yes but that did not and does not make him a good signing then and now.

Key in us getting promoted, and did a job as backup last season in the prem. Great signing for me.

Same goes for Guly. Fantastic in L1 and the NPC. Involved in two promotions. And backup now. Great signing.

Is a good signing only one which we can sell for more than we bought him for?! Stupid logic.

Key in us getting promoted, and did a job as backup last season in the prem. Great signing for me.

Same goes for Guly. Fantastic in L1 and the NPC. Involved in two promotions. And backup now. Great signing.

Is a good signing only one which we can sell for more than we bought him for?! Stupid logic.

Guly has never been a good signing, both work hard to compensate for being weak, poor signings, we got promoted not because of them but in spite of them.

"In spite of them?" Did you watch any of the games?

Yes, yes I do, 89 appearance and 19 goals is not a good return for a striker regardless of level, I like Guly for his effort and endevour and never boo him or heckle him but he is crap and its as simple as that.

Hooiveld is a 70's throwback and a shiit one at that, a Celtic reject like Fox which says it all.

Yes, yes I do, 89 appearance and 19 goals is not a good return for a striker regardless of level, I like Guly for his effort and endevour and never boo him or heckle him but he is crap and its as simple as that.

Hooiveld is a 70's throwback and a shiit one at that, a Celtic reject like Fox which says it all.

Well done Barry, in excess of six thousand opinionated posts in just over a year, and most of them overblown or melodramatic. You do Guly a disservice - he has been a great contributor at L1 and Championship level and shown great skill along the way. He has also covered a range of positions and roles outside of striker when needed - many of his sub appearances at Prem level have been significant. Guly is certainly not crap and deserves respect for his contributions in what will be his last season for Saints.

Well done Barry, in excess of six thousand opinionated posts in just over a year, and most of them overblown or melodramatic. You do Guly a disservice - he has been a great contributor at L1 and Championship level and shown great skill along the way. He has also covered a range of positions and roles outside of striker when needed - many of his sub appearances at Prem level have been significant. Guly is certainly not crap and deserves respect for his contributions in what will be his last season for Saints.

1) A forum is a place of opinions so of course my posts are going to be opinionated.

2) Why do I do Guly a disservice? Its my opinion not yours, or his.

3) He Glenn Cockerill Mark II, and I liked Glenda.

4) Yes he played a significant role in the Premiership game against Stoke where he missed an open goal which would have put us 4-1 up.

5) He deserves respect as a human being and a person but not as a footballer, why should he regardless of talent?

This

didn't he get like 10+ goals in the Champ promotion season?

How exactly is that "in spite" of him? Sounds like he contributed to me.

And if I remember rights they were all before xmas, he had a very good spell. Unfortunatly since then he went off the boild a little with his goal return. But that's mainly due to not getting enough game time in my opinion. He normally only plays for 10/15 minutes for the last 2 1/2 years...

And if I remember rights they were all before xmas, he had a very good spell. Unfortunatly since then he went off the boild a little with his goal return. But that's mainly due to not getting enough game time in my opinion. He normally only plays for 10/15 minutes for the last 2 1/2 years...

He was usually brought on to see off games, even Pocchetino uses him like that.