Zenith Cup Final 1992

The Viking

i remember we beat chelsea in the 'southern final'

i watched teletext during the game to get the scores as they happened..

:cool:

If memory serves me right we were 2-0 up from the first leg at The Dell.

Then in the first couple of minutes of the away leg Jason Cundy got sent off for Chelsea for a professional foul and MLT tucked away the pen.

Game over after a minute, then all my mates and I had to worry about was if we were going to get our heads kicked in by angry Chelsea fans after the game; that was in the days when there used to be cars parked behind the goals at Stamford Bridge, God knows what that was all about.

Then for reasons still unknown to me I didn't go to the final...

• Like 1

I was 13 and my only ever trip to 'Old' Wembley. My dad took me.

We got murdered for the 1st half - went in 2-0 down.

Our hoof it up to Dowie and Shearer tactics got nowhere against Forest's crisp passing game.

We came out for the 2nd half - got murdered some more. Forest should have been out of sight but Flowers made some stupendous stops.

On 60ish minutes a rare Saints corner got cleared out to Ruddock who whipped in a delicious cross for MLT to ghost in and head home from close range.

Suddenly, the whole complexion of the game changed and Saints were in complete control.

68 mins - a MLT corner came in and Kevin Moore - who had been recalled from a loan spell due to a CB injury crisis [and wasn't even named in the squad list in the Programme] ran from outside the area, jumped the highest a football player or Michael Jordan has ever jumped and crashed an unstoppable header in off the underside of the bar.

We had chances to win it. Terry Hurlock hit a screamer that was destined to crash into the top corner for one of THE great Wembley goals but the young lad Marriot somehow pushed it away.

And we lost in extra time despite looking the more likely team.

We didn't know at the time it would be the last ZDS final. I wonder if the trophy is still in Forest's Trophy Cabinet?

It should have been in ours...

I have still got the ZDS Final shirt Blue Flame fleck effect Draper Tools.

...but Saints playing at Wembley in blue!!!

Probably one of the loudest crowds I've been in particularly when we were fighting back towards the end. Every Saints attack was roared on by a thunderous noise, remember my mate's nipper in tears at the final whistle as the emotion got to him...and he was a Spurs fan!

Worst thing of the day was sitting still on the North Circular what seemed for hours (before nad after), missing out on the pub before because of it and only getting inside Wembley right on kick-off.

I was at the southern area final home and away legs and the final. I beleive it was the away leg when Dennis Wise bet MLT a fiver he would miss the penalty, we all know the outcome of that one :) I am also pretty sure that Chelsea got a penalty in this game and MLT offered Wise double or quits, and Wise missed. Perhaps I am making it up though...

I was at the southern area final home and away legs and the final. I beleive it was the away leg when Dennis Wise bet MLT a fiver he would miss the penalty, we all know the outcome of that one :) I am also pretty sure that Chelsea got a penalty in this game and MLT offered Wise double or quits, and Wise missed. Perhaps I am making it up though...

The good old days when a fiver to a footballer was 5 pounds now it would be five grand.

Teams:

SAINTS:

Flowers, Kenna, Benali, Horne, Moore, Ruddock, Le Tissier, ****erill, Shearer, Dowie, Hurlock

Subs. Wood and Lee, neither used.

FOREST:

Andy Marriott, Gary Charles, Stuart Pearce (sub. Steve Chettle 19mins.), Des Walker, Darren Wassall, Roy Keane, Gary Crosby, Scot Gemmill, Nigel Clough, Teddy Sheringham, Kingsle Black. sub. not used Lee Glover

Goals: Gemmill 14, 113, Black 44

MLT 64, Moore 69

My ticket £11

Don't remember it raining or being particularly cold.

With love, a Sad Anorak

Teams:

SAINTS:

Flowers, Kenna, Benali, Horne, Moore, Ruddock, Le Tissier, ****erill, Shearer, Dowie, Hurlock

Subs. Wood and Lee, neither used.

FOREST:

Andy Marriott, Gary Charles, Stuart Pearce (sub. Steve Chettle 19mins.), Des Walker, Darren Wassall, Roy Keane, Gary Crosby, Scot Gemmill, Nigel Clough, Teddy Sheringham, Kingsle Black. sub. not used Lee Glover

Goals: Gemmill 14, 113, Black 44

MLT 64, Moore 69

My ticket £11

Don't remember it raining or being particularly cold.

With love, a Sad Anorak

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Terry Hurlock