Final 3rd

Glasgow_Saint

This is being discussed on the Ramirez thread so thought id keep it seperate.

Few concerns about our effectiveness in the final 3rd and today was a good example of this.

We had lots of the ball, but......

* Managed just two shots on target all day

* Lambert and Jay Rod didnt touch the ball in the Everton 18 yard box all day!

With Robles making his first Everton start id thought we'd have peppered his goal today? We saw what happened when we did get a shot away!

This is being discussed on the Ramirez thread so thought id keep it seperate.

Few concerns about our effectiveness in the final 3rd and today was a good example of this.

We had lots of the ball, but......

* Managed just two shots on target all day

* Lambert and Jay Rod didnt touch the ball in the Everton 18 yard box all day!

With Robles making his first Everton start id thought we'd have peppered his goal today? We saw what happened when we did get a shot away!

This has been one of the main problems with Lambert playing as the only striker as he is not an out and out striker. He drifts far too much and is one of the reasons why Pochettino brought in Osvaldo. He doesn't want a 'linking' striker, he wants a striker that will be in the box, getting into goal scoring positions.

Nothing new to see here if you look at Lambert stats since the beginning of last season.

This has been one of the main problems with Lambert playing as the only striker as he is not an out and out striker. He drifts far too much and is one of the reasons why Pochettino brought in Osvaldo. He doesn't want a 'linking' striker, he wants a striker that will be in the box, getting into goal scoring positions.

Nothing new to see here if you look at Lambert stats since the beginning of last season.

Lambert is a box man though, we just seem unable to feed him.

Lambert was at his best when we used to get the ball forward quickly. Ball to the back post, nod from Lambert to danger area > GOAL! hes done it many times.

Nowadays he doesnt get the ball in the 18 yard box at all. None of our front men do?

Lambert and Jay Rod didnt touch the ball in the Everton 18 yard box all day! Thats a worry no?

Lambert is a box man though, we just seem unable to feed him.

Lambert was at his best when we used to get the ball forward quickly. Ball to the back post, nod from Lambert to danger area > GOAL! hes done it many times.

Nowadays he doesnt get the ball in the 18 yard box at all. None of our front men do?

Lambert and Jay Rod didnt touch the ball in the Everton 18 yard box all day! Thats a worry no?

No, because that's not the way we play Lambert anymore. Today was probably the 2nd hardest away game of the season, so I'm not too worried if Lambert or Jay Rod had an off day. Lambert has had a lot of them this season, but we are still 9th. It shows we are able to adapt, persevere and succeed even when he is not on top form.

No, because that's not the way we play Lambert anymore. Today was probably the 2nd hardest away game of the season, so I'm not too worried if Lambert or Jay Rod had an off day. Lambert has had a lot of them this season, but we are still 9th. It shows we are able to adapt, persevere and succeed even when he is not on top form.

But the reason Lambert is ineffective is because of the way mopo asks him to play? Lambert has shown for years how he can be a threat and score goals, you have to work with players strenghs?

It would be like asking Wanyama to play left wing and then moaning when his form dips.

Lambert has touched the ball more times in our own 18 yard box than he has in the opposing 18 yard box this season. Thats a worry

As I said in the post match thread, Lallana looked at his scoring shy best always looking for another option rather than taking the shot. I don't believe J-Rod or Lambert didn't touch the ball in the 18 yard box though, wasn't Lambert's on target chance and his offside shot from shorter than that and I'm pretty sure Rodriguez did the same. We're trying too hard to pass it into the net I feel and no one seems to want to shoot depsite getting into good positions.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not clicking at the moment. If Osvaldo gets his act together then fine. Do you think that Rickie is just going through a lean spell and will he come good again ?

I think most strikers would struggle under mopos tactics unfortunatly

We have 3 x England forwards and 1 x Italy striker!!! If you struggle in the final 3rd with them, then there is no hope

I don't understand, could you please explain your assertion.

Forwards have to drop too deep to get the ball

We are to slow in the final 3rd

35 yards from goal we have no imagination

One decent shot on target all day today

Corners poor for long time

Free kicks poor

Lambert touched ball twice in WBA area all game

Jay Rod touched ball once in WBA area all game

We just seem to lack any real imagination or aggression in the final 3rd

Free kicks poor

I think you're being a bit harsh on Lambert and Jay Rod.

Free kicks poor

Or, is it that we just don't have enough really good forwards ?

Agree with GS. Far too slow in final 3, needed creativity which Gaston provided, so far play to Poch. Looked more of a threat with Jay, Lallana and Gaston running at them. We seemed to move the ball quicker when he came on as well.

WBA came to snatch a point. I do feel we struggle to break down teams who come and park the bus. We rely far too much on Lallana who needs help in these situations. The crossing was woefully poor from both Clyne and Shaw as well. Would love for Shaw to go at his man more, he's obviously got that in his locker.

Difficult game, great 3 points but I feel Lambert's threat is ebbing away just by how he's being asked to play.

Would love for Shaw to go at his man more, he's obviously got that in his locker.

It does slightly baffle me as to why both Shaw and Clyne rarely take on the opposition full backs down the flanks. They almost always resort to a backwards or sideways pass when they reach the opposition defenders. Maybe there's a statistic out there that reveals that, more often than not, taking on a defender gets you nowhere and by keeping possession the move is more likely to be successful in due course. Dunno.

Agree with GS. Far too slow in final 3, needed creativity which Gaston provided, so far play to Poch. Looked more of a threat with Jay, Lallana and Gaston running at them. We seemed to move the ball quicker when he came on as well.

WBA came to snatch a point. I do feel we struggle to break down teams who come and park the bus. We rely far too much on Lallana who needs help in these situations. The crossing was woefully poor from both Clyne and Shaw as well. Would love for Shaw to go at his man more, he's obviously got that in his locker.

Difficult game, great 3 points but I feel Lambert's threat is ebbing away just by how he's being asked to play.

Exactly.

We fall into a habit of moving the ball too slowly in the final third; plus our strikers not penetrating the line, and no one to exploit it even if they do.

Ossie and Gaston will address this.

It's the same everywhere in the PL, all coaches assume a successful side must be built on solid defensive foundations and we have followed that model under Pochettino. What it means unfortunately is that 6 of the team are committed fully to defensive duties and the other two midfielders are looking to drop back in support. How often do you see our so-called attacking midfielders passing back during a forward movement and breaking our momentum and allowing the opposition to get back in numbers rather then push on.

The reason seems to be if they push on there will be a disconnect in midfield that the opposition can exploit. The defensive system requires the whole team to push forward together to reduce the effects of this disconnect but then they are vulnerable to the quick break and conceding silly goals, which often happens with us but not only us as you see it happen week after week.

The attacking midfielders have to get the ball to feet in the 18 years area for the forwards to have any chance but it is not often that they do that as they are not pushing on with the momentum of the attack. On the rare occasions when they do it might be out of sheer frustration and momentarily forget what the coaches have instructed them to do and rely on their football in instinct.

I think we will see more and more of this if it gets results as coaches can't afford to lose many matches before they are under pressure. Boring, boring Arsenal won a league winning 1-0 but I'll bet the fans weren't too happy about it.

Free kicks poor

Yo, Glasgow. Just watched highlights and saw Lambert touched the ball 3 times in the area just in those. You making sh!t up again fella?

Yo, Glasgow. Just watched highlights and saw Lambert touched the ball 3 times in the area just in those. You making sh!t up again fella?

Youre right Simon.... I am happy to admit when i was wrong.

I watched the full 90 again earlier Simon and he touches the ball twice on the 18 yard line and twice in area.

Happy to admit when im wrong.

Youre right Simon.... I am happy to admit when i was wrong.

I watched the full 90 again earlier Simon and he touches the ball twice on the 18 yard line and twice in area.

Happy to admit when im wrong.

How were you able to watch the full 90 again? Still waiting for this list of managers win percentage as well. You're being pwnd on this site at the moment so it is in your interests to produce things that stop making you look like a liar...

When we have Cork, Schneiderlin and Davis playing, theres not enough of a goal threat for me. A lot of the time we play like Arsenal, looking to fashion a chance whilst playing around the edge of the box. We really need a midfielder who can weigh in with more goals and who will take pot shots from outside the box

QUOTE]

I wonder what you mean "for a long time". It was from a corner at Anfield that we obtained our win. Is that too far ago ? Oh well, how about the point we gained at Old Trafford which came from a corner. Still too far ?? How about Ricky's goalat Cardiff on Boxing Day ??

I don't suppose youlet facts ruin a good wind up ???

• 1 month later...