9/10 so far

whelk

9/10 is getting carried away, we've won one out of our last 8 games so something somewhere isn't quite right is it. Anyone in their right mind would point out our lack of decent squad depth and give us a 7/10 could do better. We have a team but we don't have a squad. Hull are just 3 points behind us and they've got a 7/10. To continue to talk of European football at this stage of the season is a bit nonsensical.

The highest rating out of every side in the league? No, that's nonsensical... even on relative terms.

Currently, all things considered, Hull, Man City and Newcastle are making a better fist of things then us. Still delighted with our progress mind.

9/10 is getting carried away, we've won one out of our last 8 games so something somewhere isn't quite right is it. Anyone in their right mind would point out our lack of decent squad depth and give us a 7/10 could do better. We have a team but we don't have a squad. Hull are just 3 points behind us and they've got a 7/10. To continue to talk of European football at this stage of the season is a bit nonsensical.

Yeh, cause their opinion is based on how many wins and nothing else like playing home grown talent or keeping key personel:Facepalm:

I don't think nonsensical. They're rating based on relative and wider performance. Given half our squad were with us in league one, and half are teenagers, plus our quality of play and relative success this year (after having only been in the league 1.5 seasons) I think it's quite right neutrals are in awe.

You're just being hyper critical because you want more!

Yeh, cause their opinion is based on how many wins and nothing else like playing home grown talent or keeping key personel:Facepalm:

Even factoring in the young english talent development, we are not doing as well as Everton, Newcastle or hull relative to expectations. Newcastle should probably be top ranked. And how come Fulham have got 5? They should be bottom ranked IMHO, a 3 at best. Truly dreadful.

Personally I'd give us a 7 for performance, and an 8 to include talent development. It's been a great season in many ways, but far from perfect.

Playing home grown talent is all well and good, if it's good enough to get you where you want to go, I don't think it is that's all. For me if you have a young player on the bench he has to be able to offer something to the collective, if he's just sat there to look good and doesn't offer anything different then it's just a waste of space. Look at our young CBs, it was obviously judged that even senior players with niggling injuries were preferable to having them on the bench. Top clubs just don't do that so we have to decide whether we want to be a top club or just well liked because we give a lot of young lads their chance..or not.

This is the advantage of seeing us from an outsiders view, every time the question of MS playing for France comes up (it did again on Saturday) the response from the football cognoscentii here is the same, needs to move to a better club and this s from people who know what you need to do to get selected, Saints are seen outside of Southern England as a brave little club punching above their weight and recent results have shown that to be about right.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Agreed. Suspect it's about relative performance to expectation, the way we are trying to play and the policy of bringing through youth... On those criteria, we are easily 9/10.

It's odds how those same posters telling everyone about 1000 times not to get carried away when we were third, and suggesting squad depth would hurt us, are now trying to act all disappointed and critical.... Sad reflection of this site that we have individuals who seem to have so little that brings them happiness in their sad little lives that getting their kicks from seeing 'reactions' to their inane Bo l lox on an insignificant web site is the best they can hope for.... They need our pity.

Agreed. Suspect it's about relative performance to expectation, the way we are trying to play and the policy of bringing through youth... On those criteria, we are easily 9/10.

It's odds how those same posters telling everyone about 1000 times not to get carried away when we were third, and suggesting squad depth would hurt us, are now trying to act all disappointed and critical.... Sad reflection of this site that we have individuals who seem to have so little that brings them happiness in their sad little lives that getting their kicks from seeing 'reactions' to their inane Bo l lox on an insignificant web site is the best they can hope for.... They need our pity.

Has anyone's reaction been that strong? Personally I think 9/10 is too high but very pleased with what has been a great season so far. Many expect far too much and are destined to never be happy with their football

Has anyone's reaction been that strong? Personally I think 9/10 is too high but very pleased with what has been a great season so far. Many expect far too much and are destined to never be happy with their football

Was a general comment on how so many threads seem dominated by a few in an attempt to get reaction, rather than present any rationale perspective. Strange that we have fans who give the perception that they enjoy criticising, more than enjoying how we play. Our recent form has been good... It's the results that have not always given us what performances deserve, especially when you consider the absentees. But, for some it gives greater pleasure to ignore any positives, and assume negativity regardless of what common sense dictates.

But has it really been a great season so far ? It was a very good start to the season but these last 6 weeks or so have been mediocre in terms of results. I'd be extremely surprised if Nicola is satisfied with our recent results, it just depends on where he's put the bar. To me we're not all that far away from another management change because our Chairman doesn't settle for average.

But has it really been a great season so far ? It was a very good start to the season but these last 6 weeks or so have been mediocre in terms of results. I'd be extremely surprised if Nicola is satisfied with our recent results, it just depends on where he's put the bar. To me we're not all that far away from another management change because our Chairman doesn't settle for average.

Behave yourself

Chairman knows the Manager is doing a great job and has seen how good we are when we have a fully fit squad. Not MPs fault that we have had a terrible run of injuries yet so far this season haven't been well beaten by anyone except Chelsea away.

Behave yourself

no but seriously DD the results are poor, Nicola judges on results. It's not something I'd like to see but the bloke is so totally unpredictable and single minded that it just wouldn't surprise me. I was absolute shocked by our performance against Spurs and when they showed images of NC on the TV you could see that he was as well, he looked dead flipping angry. I bet Mauricio got his ass kicked afterwards.

no but seriously DD the results are poor, Nicola judges on results. It's not something I'd like to see but the bloke is so totally unpredictable and single minded that it just wouldn't surprise me. I was absolute shocked by our performance against Spurs and when they showed images of NC on the TV you could see that he was as well, he looked dead flipping angry. I bet Mauricio got his ass kicked afterwards.

What does he expect when half the team is out injured

We are at our lowest point this season and we are 9th

Says something when that is deemed disgusting.

Last season we barely got above 15th

What does he expect when half the team is out injured

We are at our lowest point this season and we are 9th

Says something when that is deemed disgusting.

Last season we barely got above 15th

He expects the manager to give hm the results he wants, team management is the domain of the manager and his coaches

and we don't have enough quality in reserve.

Manager is doing a great job and has seen how good we are when we have a fully fit squad.

Like windows says NC is not looking for mediocre. Most managers would get results with our fully fit squad, its about getting results while we are missing a few that demonstrates a decent manager.

End of last season we had a couple of injuries = no wins in 6

Again now a few injuries = 2 wins in 12

If mopo can only get consistant results when we are full strengh then he's not a "great" manager.......

Like windows says NC is not looking for mediocre. Most managers would get results with our fully fit squad, its about getting results while we are missing a few that demonstrates a decent manager.

End of last season we had a coulle of injuries = no wins in 6

If mopo can only get consistant results when we are full strengh then he's not a "great" manager.......

What I am much afeared of is that NC looks at how someone he summarily sacked ( and I don't think he likes very much, just an impression) is doing with a squad that can't possibly have cost much more than ours, maybe even less, and the urge to react will well up in him. We're not there yet but we need to start winning some matches again, defeat against Chelsea will leave Mauricio with about 3 or 4 games to get good results I think.

Ok, we don't have a great manager. We have a very good one. That'll do for me.

Mauricio is a very good manager, question is can he get results with the club's youth first obsession.

Our league position isn't the only criteria, we fielded seven English players last match, how many did Man C have? One, sometimes none. We fielded four academy players aged 18/19 in one match. How many others do that? None at all, we are in a league of our own as far as home grown produce is concerned. In a few years they will provide the backbone of the England team, we will be competing for the top four and everyone will see why 9/10 is justified COYR

Our league position isn't the only criteria, we fielded seven English players last match, how many did Man C have? One, sometimes none. We fielded four academy players aged 18/19 in one match. How many others do that? None at all, we are in a league of our own as far as home grown produce is concerned. In a few years they will provide the backbone of the England team, we will be competing for the top four and everyone will see why 9/10 is justified COYR

Could be although I really doubt it, look at Everton yesterday Barkley isn't much older than our lads but he's already got 3 full caps. Young talent is good, top young talent is better.

be happy

I'l happy as long as Nicola is happy, I just don't want to see a good manager sacked because of this youth policy that he's obviously had imposed upon him. To me it's a case of not spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar which continued reliance on garbage lke Fox amongst others might suggest is happening.

I'l happy as long as Nicola is happy, I just don't want to see a good manager sacked because of this youth policy that he's obviously had imposed upon him. To me it's a case of not spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar which continued reliance on garbage lke Fox amongst others might suggest is happening.

to me it is about supporting a club which is doing well in the tradition of the Saints, young talent getting a chance turning over the big boys every now and then, but having players who care about the club not just their bank balance.

Naive may be but that is why the majority support the club through thick or thin, we are not glory hunters like our neighbours

to me it is about supporting a club which is doing well in the tradition of the Saints, young talent getting a chance turning over the big boys every now and then, but having players who care about the club not just their bank balance.

Naive may be but that is why the majority support the club through thick or thin, we are not glory hunters like our neighbours

But is that what the only man who really counts wants, I mean a mid-table finish after last May's shennanigans with "the owners", do you think mid table is going to satisfy ambition like that. I really, really doubt it and am consequently concerned, do not forget I was of the few who saw the end of Adkins coming whereas the majority thought he was doing as well as could be expected in the circumstances.

But is that what the only man who really counts wants, I mean a mid-table finish after last May's shennanigans with "the owners", do you think mid table is going to satisfy ambition like that. I really, really doubt it and am consequently concerned, do not forget I was of the few who saw the end of Adkins coming whereas the majority thought he was doing as well as could be expected in the circumstances.

if NC sacks MP so be it,if NC quits so be it.

i actually believe that without Wanyama's injury we would still be in top 6.

Cork is ok but the defence really misses Wanyama

Which would explain why MP so desperately wanted a replacement for Cork and at that level of disapproval then you have to wonder why we didn't cover the position as well. No the problem here is JWP, he starts at DM when 2 of the 3 others aren't available but he really isn't good enough there, needs to be used further forward but Davis has made that role his own of late. Yesterday Mauricio turned them around after JWPs lack of presence for their first goal but it's didn't make much difference because Davis isn't all that good there either. The role needs players with exceptional defensive qualities and 4 players in that role isn't too much.

Nail on head........Wanyama hopefully back soon..

Victor has been a very big miss for us since his injury.

For me...Saints 7.5 so far....With Wanyama still playing....8.5 or even a big 9

That view ignores who we have been playing in the last 8 games. We had a very easy start but we then have faced 3 of the top four away in the last 8 games plus City at home. Other than the result against Villa and the performance v Spuds I am not too surprised or disappointed with how we have got on without consideration of the injury list. I was more worried by the results in early games against Sunderland/Norwich/West Ham than by our current run of form. 9th at the half way point is an improvement on last year - we have an easier run of games in the next 8 games and I fully expect results to improve as a result.

That view ignores who we have been playing in the last 8 games. We had a very easy start but we then have faced 3 of the top four away in the last 8 games plus City at home. Other than the result against Villa and the performance v Spuds I am not too surprised or disappointed with how we have got on without consideration of the injury list. I was more worried by the results in early games against Sunderland/Norwich/West Ham than by our current run of form. 9th at the half way point is an improvement on last year - we have an easier run of games in the next 8 games and I fully expect results to improve as a result.

sanity

That's pretty much the story right there. When you add our worst spell fixture wise, with our worst spell injury wise, then there will only be one outcome. Not sure why we had so many people going off on one during the last 6 weeks, it's really no surprise how things occurred.

But we're now on the other side of that pretty much, and amazingly not massively damaged in terms of position and our goals are still there to aim for.

Gary Neville made exactly the same observation.

That's pretty much the story right there. When you add our worst spell fixture wise, with our worst spell injury wise, then there will only be one outcome. Not sure why we had so many people going off on one during the last 6 weeks, it's really no surprise how things occurred.

But we're now on the other side of that pretty much, and amazingly not massively damaged in terms of position and our goals are still there to aim for.

Are that many people really going off on one? I think it's a fair comment that we haven't been 9/10 so far, especially compared to the relative achievements of Everton, Newcastle and Hull.

Are that many people really going off on one? I think it's a fair comment that we haven't been 9/10 so far, especially compared to the relative achievements of Everton, Newcastle and Hull.

Wasn't necessarily on about this thread, but the reactions during the period, contained within threads after we lost to the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, Villa etc.