Do you have any confidence in Poortvliet?

benjii

Do you have any confidence in Poortvliet?  

448 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any confidence in Poortvliet?

• Yes
    • No

I see Nigel Pearson's Leicester City has another win today and they're sitting pretty in the lead of League One - despite no end of experts on here telling us how poor/average a manager he is and how we were lucky to see the back of him .

I feel that Pearson should have been kept on, but seeing as to put it bluntley the team is made up of last years rejects when our first team only just stayed up, I cant really see what more Pearson could have us doing other than possibly altering things, but then it is down to the players as they would be the ones needing more bottle to stand their ground and get stuck in, but as they majority are my age I would find it very hard playing people twice my age.

I still have a confidence in Jan but that is fading quickly I only still have confidence because of the way the team can play IF it plays well the problem is consitency and to me it is obvious we need some one back upfront, I would choose Saga as I believe he has a higher work rate than Stern and Rasiak and he proved when he was on loan to us that he can score in this league (whether that was to get a contract or not)

me again, starting to look personal, it isn't, honestly!

You could also use your exact argument against JP! JP must be to blame for the first half display aswell as the second half!

I believe you ;) It's all good though, forums like this are meant for debating opinions!

You could indeed use that argument against JP, but as I mentioned in a previous post I think effort and and a total lack of interest was the problem today. I don't think that's JP's fault. If he got the personnel wrong or the tactics wrong it would definitely be his fault, but if the players go out and don't put in the effort required they should be held responsible.

Just listening to JP on the radio, he admitted shouting at them at half time and sounded really angry and let down.

I believe you ;) It's all good though, forums like this are meant for debating opinions!

You could indeed use that argument against JP, but as I mentioned in a previous post I think effort and and a total lack of interest was the problem today. I don't think that's JP's fault. If he got the personnel wrong or the tactics wrong it would definitely be his fault, but if the players go out and don't put in the effort required they should be held responsible.

Just listening to JP on the radio, he admitted shouting at them at half time and sounded really angry and let down.

as he did at palace 5 days earlier , the only reason rupert wll not sack him is because it will show what a stupid decision it was to appoint him.

Well that`s alright then..

Maybe he should have shouted at them everyday this week after the Palace ****e.

The thing is though mate you must of worked for someone who's been promoted and rightly or wrongly you believe is out of his depth, being underminded by the directors, simply not up to the job!

How can the team respond to the boss when they don't even know who the boss is? Imagine the dressing room before the game, Portaloo talking to the midfield, Gore talking to the defenders, Hockaday talking to the strikers (sorry striker, we only play 1 up front) the the dark lord (Lowe) giving his unifying team talk, would you go over the top for Lowe?? I wouldn't!!

Just a quick idea, never thought about it untill now. why are we cr4p in the first half yet ok in the second? Could it be becuase Lowe does indeed give a team talk before the game where as at half time he has to do his chairman bit and meet the opposing chairman for prawn sandwiches and port, so JP takes the half time chat??

Don't instantly dismiss this, think about it, digest it, what do you think??

Pint half full or half empty. You could argue we are getting progressively better as easily as you can say progressively worse. What is beyond doubt is our inconsistency.

How?

because we scored 2 goal when the other team had gone off on a xmas break, or because we have started drawing at home rather than losing

The thing is though mate you must of worked for someone who's been promoted and rightly or wrongly you believe is out of his depth, being underminded by the directors, simply not up to the job!

How can the team respond to the boss when they don't even know who the boss is? Imagine the dressing room before the game, Portaloo talking to the midfield, Gore talking to the defenders, Hockaday talking to the strikers (sorry striker, we only play 1 up front) the the dark lord (Lowe) giving his unifying team talk, would you go over the top for Lowe?? I wouldn't!!

Just a quick idea, never thought about it untill now. why are we cr4p in the first half yet ok in the second? Could it be becuase Lowe does indeed give a team talk before the game where as at half time he has to do his chairman bit and meet the opposing chairman for prawn sandwiches and port, so JP takes the half time chat??

Don't instantly dismiss this, think about it, digest it, what do you think??

I can't see it being true, however big Lowes ego is. But if it is true, even if he is in that dressing room, he needs to be shot.

If Lowe is giving team talks then JP and the players can't be blamed for the performances when there is utter confusion and contradiction above them.

I don't think it's likely though, there would be outrage if this were true. It never takes long before stories like this are made public by the players as has happened before. Players talk, they always have done and always will do so if this were true, the story would be everywhere.

Look at last year's wage bill. We stayed up last day. Look at Jan's resources, I think he's done well to keep us in touch. So yes, I like him. Not perfect, honestly, it's hard to know if he's a great manager as he's had only 6 months and no money. But if he can keep us up on the money he's had and the players sold/loaned then he's done very well.

What on earth do people expect honestly?

Or would we be top playing 442?

are you saying the players played out of their skin all season and stayed up due to just that..or was it at some point they really lost their way?

At the end of the day i fail to believe the 10 dutch coaches or however many we have were more expensive to keep then Pearson. Pearson is doing what we needed someone here to do which is grind out results. The team this year are a lot worse then last years but the football that should be played remains the same. He would of understood how to use the youngsters as he did ok with them when he was here. lallana is wasted under JP.

So people can try and defend JP all they want but the whole saga of him being at this club from being appointed manager while he was already a amanager at another club all the way to playing 1 up front all season is nothing short of a joke. If the guys name was Branfoot/Burley/Dodd/Gorman etc.. people would magically see it differently. He has the worst record in our football history. If the club were after that stats they could of just employed me, i'd have got that for free!

Took some time to consider the question & voted no, I had hoped that by now we would see some kind of consitancy & a bit of grit starting to appear, but we are no further forward than at the start of the season. If you find that what your trying is not working you have to be big enough to hold up your hands & try another way. That is portlievit's biggest fault we need to start grinding some results out.

Edited by Under Weststand

LOL. Let's ask Rupert to appoint someone who is not a yes man shall we...

If Lowe actually wanted Saints to win games,then i suggest that Lowe appoints a manager who knows how to play in this league.

Lowe appointed a yes man while we were in the Premiership and we were relegated.

Hes doing the same now and we are only just outside the relegation zone.

Legod,you may put your faith in Lowe,but i choose not to.

If Lowe actually wanted Saints to win games,then i suggest that Lowe appoints a manager who knows how to play in this league.

Lowe appointed a yes man while we were in the Premiership and we were relegated.

Hes doing the same now and we are only just outside the relegation zone.

Legod,you may put your faith in Lowe,but i choose not to.

Look. Number one - I have no faith in Lowe. Tell me where I claim to have?

However, he is building a football philosophy at the club.

He has bought the players and brought in the coach/manager and coaching infrastructure that he believes will deliver that philosophy.

As a result, all this posturing is pointless.

Lowe believes he is doing the right thing, the right way.

That's why calling for a change in coach is a totally frivolous exercise.

FWIW the coach is doing exactly what he has been employed to do!!!

That is why he cannot be blamed.

He has bought the players and brought in the coach/manager and coaching infrastructure that he believes will deliver that philosophy.

The fact that Lowe is back,stops many from attending games,so thats a negative from the start.

Lowe may believe hes doing the right thing,but we are still only just a whisker away from relegation,so yet again this proves Lowe is wrong.

Lowe can be blamed for everything including the credit crunch and everything that goes wrong in the world.

"Lowe believes he is doing things the right way"............do you believe that everyone should go along with it then ?, just because Rupert "believes" it's the right way :rolleyes:

"Lowe believes he is doing things the right way"............do you believe that everyone should go along with it then ?, just because Rupert "believes" it's the right way :rolleyes:

Ok smart alec. Buy the fecking club and run it how you would like eh?

What do you suggest I do?

Either I can point out facts or I can join the charade that says:

"Let's have Billy Davies"

"Let's have Paul Allen buy us"

"Let's pick on a player and hammer his confidence"

"Let's moan about the coach"

And so on and so on.

If you prefer, I can call for Davies to be appointed tomorrow. Will it make you feel better? Will it hasten his arrival?

Let me know.

The fact that Lowe is back,stops many from attending games,so thats a negative from the start.

Lowe may believe hes doing the right thing,but we are still only just a whisker away from relegation,so yet again this proves Lowe is wrong.

Lowe can be blamed for everything including the credit crunch and everything that goes wrong in the world.

Why do you keep complaining as though it is my fault?

I simply told you what he's doing. I'm not his lawyer or representative on earth.

Although, 23 games is a bit early to say the idea has failed altogether.

And he would tell you that he has reduced the wage bill and we haven't gone bust yet which we were doing under the last mob, if I were his lawyer...

Seriously, I have never met the guy and have no truck with him.

I HAVE met JP and found him to be honourable, passionate, committed and a decent human being trying to create a football style, ethic and approach which I admire and respect enormously under incredibly challenging conditions.

But, like all fans, it's easier to jettison the coach and adress a symptom not the cause...

I posted in a thread a week or two back that Lowe looks to me like somebody with a major-league messiah complex. He appears to genuinely believe that his approach is the right one, the only right one, and he'll pursue it to the last. Hence Poortvliet's appointment in the first place. And if you expect a sudden outbreak of pragmatism from him then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed.

For what it's worth, I'm voting no on the poll, but I'd agree with many others that the coach isn't the correct target of our wrath.

If Lowe had bunged £20,000,000 of his own dosh into SFC it would be different. But he hasn't. If he does bung £20,000,000 in i am sure things will look a lot better and i will look a lot kinder on him. Until then, I want him OUT.

Half the season gone half of those loses. 1 win at home. 1 win in 8 games. 22 points from a possible 69. Relying on other teams results already. Performances the worst i have ever seen. Tactics the worst i have ever seen, players the worst i have seen, manager the most clueless i have seen.

To much of the season gone too many loses, doesn't learn his lessons, heading for relegation for sure with the system.

Too many excuses time to go

JAN OUT

For goodness sake, all we need is Morgan to get fit and midfield will be ok, especially when Pulis is fit.

And our wing play will be fine when Ryan Smith is fit as well, especially when boosted by Gasmi when he has acclimatised to the English game. JP is really unlucky that his signings have not yet been able to play a full part.

I like Jan.

No it isn't pretty at the moment, but if you said to me before the Cardiff game that halfway through the season we'd be out of the drop zone, I would have been surprised.

My main gripe with him is that we just aren't scoring enough goals with one up front. We've sort of got away with it to an extent, but come January we may not have the likes of Surman, Lallana and Skacel to bail the strikers out.

I still think we will stay up IF we can satisfy 4 conditions:

1. Bring back Saganowski!!

2. Go back to a conventional 4-4-2

3. Play Skacel at LW.

4. Keep this squad together and not sell any of the important players.

2 and 3 are up to Jan. 1 and 4 are up to Lowe. Let's see how it pans out.

I like Jan.

No it isn't pretty at the moment, but if you said to me before the Cardiff game that halfway through the season we'd be out of the drop zone, I would have been surprised.

My main gripe with him is that we just aren't scoring enough goals with one up front. We've sort of got away with it to an extent, but come January we may not have the likes of Surman, Lallana and Skacel to bail the strikers out.

I still think we will stay up IF we can satisfy 4 conditions:

1. Bring back Saganowski!!

2. Go back to a conventional 4-4-2

3. Play Skacel at LW.

4. Keep this squad together and not sell any of the important players.

2 and 3 are up to Jan. 1 and 4 are up to Lowe. Let's see how it pans out.

Interesting, of the 80 odd goals our on-loan strikers scored between them in three years, you pick the guy with what 11 of them? ;)

Interesting, of the 80 odd goals our on-loan strikers scored between them in three years, you pick the guy with what 11 of them? ;)

Rasiak is away for the season. John looked lazy when he was here and has never played well here when Saga wasn't on the pitch.

Saga and Euell up front would be a strong partnership. John and Euell just wouldn't work IMO.

What the managers say about the game.

Burnley manager Owen Coyle:

"There's no doubt we deserved to win. There was an anxious 20 minutes after half-time but Brian Jensen never had a save to make.

"We could have had scored four or five and I think overall the scoreline flattered them.

"It's the boys' Christmas night out tonight and they can go and enjoy themselves before coming back in and working hard again next week."

Southampton boss Jan Poortvliet:

"In the second half we went for it and tried to get the players to believe that we could do what Burnley had done to us in the opening 11 minutes.

"It nearly worked but we gave two of the goals away and it was always going to be difficult.

"In the second half they were all motivated and they were all trying to do the impossible."

I just love the comments from our man at the very bottom, Why the **** did you not do that before the game then as we could of got something out of the game.

Why do you keep complaining as though it is my fault?

I simply told you what he's doing. I'm not his lawyer or representative on earth.

Although, 23 games is a bit early to say the idea has failed altogether.

And he would tell you that he has reduced the wage bill and we haven't gone bust yet which we were doing under the last mob, if I were his lawyer...

Seriously, I have never met the guy and have no truck with him.

I HAVE met JP and found him to be honourable, passionate, committed and a decent human being trying to create a football style, ethic and approach which I admire and respect enormously under incredibly challenging conditions.

But, like all fans, it's easier to jettison the coach and adress a symptom not the cause...

Legod,im not having a go at you,far from it.

Whether or not i agree with you doesnt matter as we are all Saints fans and all we want is for SFC to win games.

Ive no doubt that Jan is indeed a great guy,but that doesnt mean hes the best man for the job.Results would say Portaloo is out of his depth.

In my opionion Pearson wouldve had us midtable by now.

But Lowe didnt want that,so we have to go along with the reserve option because Rupert says so.

I think Lowes meddling will drag this club into league one.

Looking at how many fans want to come and see Saints play,i would wager im not alone.

What do you suggest I do?

Either I can point out facts or I can join the charade that says:

"Let's have Billy Davies"

"Let's have Paul Allen buy us"

"Let's pick on a player and hammer his confidence"

"Let's moan about the coach"

And so on and so on.

If you prefer, I can call for Davies to be appointed tomorrow. Will it make you feel better? Will it hasten his arrival?

Let me know.

The only 'FACTS' that you've pointed out tonight are that Jans been 'forced' to play the kids because he had no other option.

As I said to you on another thread, nobody forced him to take the job at SFC & he must have known what he was getting himself in to........he's failed and that's all there is to it.

Look at last year's wage bill. We stayed up last day. Look at Jan's resources, I think he's done well to keep us in touch. So yes, I like him. Not perfect, honestly, it's hard to know if he's a great manager as he's had only 6 months and no money. But if he can keep us up on the money he's had and the players sold/loaned then he's done very well.

What on earth do people expect honestly?

Or would we be top playing 442?

I'm amazed that anybody else hasn't picked up on this.

Kept us in touch with what exactly? We're in the relegation zone in case you hadn't noticed with a points per match ratio that will almost certainly ensure that we're playing in the third division next season.

Oh, I've just realised what you meant by keeping us in touch. You're talking about the cosy chats in local pubs, aren't you? ;)

if the coach is "doing exactly what he's been employed to do" we are in sh!t and Lowe should walk now!

p23 w5 d7 L11 f21 a35 p22!!!!!

The only 'FACTS' that you've pointed out tonight are that Jans been 'forced' to play the kids because he had no other option.

As I said to you on another thread, nobody forced him to take the job at SFC & he must have known what he was getting himself in to........he's failed and that's all there is to it.

He's failed?

On what basis?

What was the measure?

1. There is no guarantee ANY other manager could get better results from our squad. In case you failed to notice, when we sacked Wigley things could only get better. When Burley left things could only get better... add manager as you see fit...

2. Nobody forced him to take the job? Why is that relevent? It isn't.

3. The bloke is here at the behest of a man who has a plan to rebuild the club's finances on the basis of youth and homegrown talent. Did you expect that would be a walk in the park? A piece of cake? Oh yeah, throw Lloyd James in every game and we'll win the league by Xmas...

If the plan was to surivive this year and build for the future, JP is currently precisely on track and not failing at all.

Edited by Legod Third Coming

I'm amazed that anybody else hasn't picked up on this.

Kept us in touch with what exactly? We're in the relegation zone in case you hadn't noticed with a points per match ratio that will almost certainly ensure that we're playing in the third division next season.

Oh, I've just realised what you meant by keeping us in touch. You're talking about the cosy chats in local pubs, aren't you? ;)

Are we? Only I thought we were four points clear...