£30 million for for Luke Shaw should we take it?

modern matron

Citeh will pay up front so personally I think we should. There's no guarantee that he will be the next Bale - one injury and that's it! I also don't think that he's irreplaceable and that the payment up front gives us the opportunity to replace him quickly and strengthen the squad.

I'm still not sure though,

Thoughts?

No way. You dont get anywhere by selling your best players, we don't need the money.

man united won the league a couple of times after selling theirs?

do you really expect a club like saints (or most clubs in world football) to turn down a world record fee for such position?

£30m for shaw, the club of course (and rightly) will look at it. the money is monsterous

I guess the value to the team as a whole plus surely LS would want rather be playing Champions league v Barcelona than FA cup v Yeovil....

I also think that this would represent brilliant business for us if it is as reported.

That will be up to Luke ultimately.

As I said, unless it enables us to do something we wouldn't be able to do without the money, I see no reason why we should accept a bid like that.

£30m? Where has that figure come from? I do not believe for one minute that if we were to sell him it would be for anywhere near that amount.

If we did sell him we would need to have to buy two left backs. One to play first team (we could get someone good for £7m) and then one back up (£1m). With that in mind, I would be happy to sell for £20m but I don't think anyone would even offer that.

I did see one report suggesting that Chelsea would offer us cash plus Ryan Bertrand. How good that deal actually is depends upon how much cash they offer.

£30m? Where has that figure come from? I do not believe for one minute that if we were to sell him it would be for anywhere near that amount.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537848/Could-Shaw-worth-Alves-City-set-break-world-record-fee-pay-30m-18-year-old-Saint.html#ixzz2q8QniLQg

James Milner signed for City for £28.5m, why is it daft to think City would bid £30m for Shaw?

As for "should we take it?" If Cortese plans to continue to spend big money regardless of player sales like he has both seasons we've had back in the Premier League then there is no need to sell Shaw, might as well keep him and continue to strengthen the team. If sold it also sends out a message if he is sold that Cortese's academy plan won't work.

Edited by Matthew Le God

what, selling players at world record levels...????

I think its every clubs way (to sell for ridiculous money)

But if Cortese is planning to sign players for large amounts in the upcoming windows regardless of player sales (like in each season in the Premier League so far under him), whats the point of selling existing good players?

You say "world record" like the Daily Mail article does say it'll be a world record for a fullback, but Shaw effectively plays as a winger for us for large spells of a game with midfielders covering him at left back.

He is more impressive than Gareth Bale was at the same age.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think no, as it goes against our stated aim of developing talent from our academy for our own first team. Based on the last 5 years transfer activity I don't think we need to sell before we can buy so I don't think we need to raise the cash to pursue our objectives. If LS orchestrates the move like AOC did and £30 is the figure being discussed, then I'm sure NC will get the best possible deal in terms of money up front for Saints.

But if Cortese is planning to sign players for large amounts in the upcoming windows regardless of player sales (like in each season in the Premier League so far under him), whats the point of selling existing good players?

You sale "world record" like the Daily Mail article does say it'll be a world record for a fullback, but Shaw effectively plays as a winger for us for large spells of a game with midfielders covering him at left back.

He is more impressive than Gareth Bale was at the same age.

regardless of how he plays, he is a left back and if a world record fee for a LB is offered, we will seriously listen

as would 99% of clubs in the world

regardless of how he plays, he is a left back and if a world record fee for a LB is offered, we will seriously listen

as would 99% of clubs in the world

Not if Cortese plans to spend large amounts regardless of player sales (as he has done in both seasons so far), knows he does have large resources behind him and is true to his word on building a team from the academy.

Not if Cortese plans to spend large amounts regardless of player sales (as he has done in both seasons so far), knows he does have large resources behind him and is true to his word on building a team from the academy.

ok then, Saints are like Man city and Chelsea

even arsenal listen to world record level offers. Spurs do. But saints, we are just different

im not going round in circles with you on this. We are like most clubs in the world, when ridiculous money is offered, we listen

even arsenal listen to world record level offers. Spurs do. But saints, we are just different

im not going round in circles with you on this. We are like most clubs in the world, when ridiculous money is offered, we listen

But is it a "ridiculous" price? I don't think it is, I can't think of many more impressive "fullback/wingers" aged 18 than Luke Shaw. He looks more impressive than Bale at the same age. If Shaw really is interesting Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea that also bumps the price up in any bidding war. Any club could get 15 years of quality service out of him!

But is it a "ridiculous" price? I don't think it is, I can't think of many more impressive "fullback/wingers" aged 18 than Luke Shaw. He looks more impressive than Bale at the same age. If Shaw really is interesting Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea that also bumps the price up in any bidding war.

ridiculous price....more than any other player in his position in the history of the world = ridiculous

the wages they would offer = ridiculous

trophy prospects = ridiculous

shoe-in for every england squad

Yes we could take the money and sign a decent replacement and a couple of other players with £30m. However, IF City do come in with a bid there are two things to take into consideration, a) don't think NC would accept it and b) not sure that LS wants to leave anyway. He is first choice and playing week in, week out for a top 10 PL side atm and is getting the international recognition because of it, IF he goes to City or any of the other top 4 he arguably would not be playing all the time so potentially harming his international chances and development.

ridiculous price....more than any other player in his position in the history of the world = ridiculous

His position isn't as black and white as that when Saints system is so flexible. Can his position really be only described as left back? He spends a huge amount of his time in a wingers position and could quite easily play full-time as a winger. £30m is not a world record for a winger.

Yes we could take the money and sign a decent replacement and a couple of other players with £30m. However, IF City do come in with a bid there are two things to take into consideration, a) don't think NC would accept it and b) not sure that LS wants to leave anyway. He is first choice and playing week in, week out for a top 10 PL side atm and is getting the international recognition because of it, IF he goes to City or any of the other top 4 he arguably would not be playing all the time so potentially harming his international chances and development.

but not playing every week for a so called glory club and getting picked for england is no issue

even rodwell gets picked by roy....ffs

His position isn't as black and white as that when Saints system is so flexible. Can his position really be only described as left back? He spends a huge amount of his time in a wingers position and could quite easily play full-time as a winger. £30m is not a world record for a winger.

but he is a modern full back

just like gibbs, baines and countless others

he is a left back and no amount of your anal retentiveness is going to change that

do you have him as a winger on football manager 2014? no, you dont

Pretty obvious we shouldn't sell him unless he wants to go. The fact is, by selling him, we would be weakening ourselves at left back. Why would we want to do that? There's been no sign from the club that we need the money. so I'd guess we wouldn't do it out of financial need.

yes, we'd get money to spend on replacements, but as LS is among the best LBs in the country, we almost certainly wouldn't get anyone as good, so it'd weaken the team. A player we know is good and fits the team is invaluable to us. As we know, we can spend a huge amount on a player who is expected to be far better than what we have, only for it not to work out that way at all.

30 million pounds wouldn't necessarily end up being good business for us at all if our transfers in didn't work out. And there's always a chance of that.

but not playing every week for a so called glory club and getting picked for england is no issue

even rodwell gets picked by roy....ffs

Agreed but IF LS wants to improve as a player he is in the right place and I think he has already come out and said that. Rodwell is prime example of a good young talent who has wasted his chance by not playing. Barkley at Everton is another one for the future and thankfully he now has a good manager who will play him and hopefully keep him at Everton where he will get his chance.

Unless he's tearing it up on the highest stage -internationally and in the CL- both of which are unlikely at Southampton in the short-to-medium term, there will be a limit to how much we can get for him (as opposed to say how much Spurs could get for Bale).

£30m might indeed be that limit.

man united won the league a couple of times after selling theirs?

do you really expect a club like saints (or most clubs in world football) to turn down a world record fee for such position?

£30m for shaw, the club of course (and rightly) will look at it. the money is monsterous

I don't think Cortese wants to sell our best players full stop. He has big ambitions, we are not the saints of old where we have to sell to buy.

If Luke tries to egineer a move that's a different story but I don't think we will sell this window regardless.

but he is a modern full back

just like gibbs, baines and countless others

he is a left back and no amount of your anal retentiveness is going to change that

do you have him as a winger on football manager 2014? no, you dont

I have him as able to play as a winger. Which he quite easily could, as he already does much of what a winger would do already.

I have him as able to play as a winger. Which he quite easily could, as he already does much of what a winger would do already.

ok, no matter how many times you say it, he is not a winder

JWP is not a fullback but he is able to play there as is cork

They are creaming themselves on the City forum!

"He is probably the best left back in the league right now. So why not buy him ?

I think he can also play as a winger. He has the touch of Eden Hazard. He can deliver balls like Kolarov. He closes players down like Fernandinho. We can with more ball-winners in our team."

"He is worth £30 million.

The guy is absolutley solid in defence. Going forward he is brilliant.

You have to remember that he is 18. He can be with us for the next 14 years. £30 million is basically £2 million a season."

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289241&start=150

The question is "should we" not "would we" sell him. If we didn't need the money, I'm yet to hear one compelling argument as to why we should definitely sell him at that price. Just because most clubs would, isn't a reason to do it.

The question is "should we" not "would we" sell him. If we didn't need the money, I'm yet to hear one compelling argument as to why we should definitely sell him at that price. Just because most clubs would, isn't a reason to do it.

obviously we shouldnt, we shouldnt have sold OxO but we did.

sooner or later, one of our younger better players will be sold. more than likely, for top whack

They are creaming themselves on the City forum!

"He is probably the best left back in the league right now. So why not buy him ?

I think he can also play as a winger. He has the touch of Eden Hazard. He can deliver balls like Kolarov. He closes players down like Fernandinho. We can with more ball-winners in our team."

"He is worth £30 million.

The guy is absolutley solid in defence. Going forward he is brilliant.

You have to remember that he is 18. He can be with us for the next 14 years. £30 million is basically £2 million a season."

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289241&start=150

I think a lot of them would end up dissapointed. Touch of Hazard?!

obviously we shouldnt, we shouldnt have sold OxO but we did.

sooner or later, one of our younger better players will be sold. more than likely, for top whack

Ox wanted to go, otherwise we wouldn't. I said earlier that only sell if we need the money or if he wants to go.