Tim Sherwood forever endearing himself...

JxgrSaint

"If Andros Townsend was at Southampton he would not have had nine loans -he would have had his development through the leagues there like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott did. That is the market they are in."

I don't quite get his point?

Basically, he's saying we play our youngsters and put pride in our academy, but Spurs push them out on loan for years? So, he's actually downtrodden Spurs there in terms of English development?

So he is saying our rise through the leagues was beneficial for the young players we have brought through?

Yeah, i'ld agree with that. It was rather a unique situation though, as such 'the market they are in' comment is rather misguided.

So he is saying our rise through the leagues was beneficial for the young players we have brought through?

Yeah, i'ld agree with that. It was rather a unique situation though, as such 'the market they are in' comment is rather misguided.

Just badly worded, I feel. The nature of us as a club was that we recognised that our best form of long term progress was to rely on the youth team. Spurs are expecting much shorter term success and as such can't have (and don't need) as much reliance on a youth programme.

I don't really see anything offensive in what he said, but he could have phrased it a bit clearer.

Personally I think he's saying that as they're such a big club they need instant results. As such they can't rely on their academy players making the step up and have to send them out on loan. He's trying to show how much more pressure he's under there. Unfortunately he just comes across as a ****.

If we are carrying on NC and MLs project we have the same ambitions as Spurs of CL football, there just slightly better with there depth and experience in the top 6, he owes a massive thank you to our defence specially Jos for his win.

However he is doing a good job as manager so far better then his development job if he thinks top youth players need loads of loans to progress, being a coach myself i would pride myself on developing a player my self rather then letting other coaches and managers doing it for me specially 9.

Anything wrong with what he said?

He's right, we wouldn't have loaned Townsend out he'd have played for us like our other 18 year olds are. Spurs expect to be top 6 minimum and in the champions league this season. We have a dream and 'vision' we might do it one day.

So what are people offended about?

Errr, am I reading the same as everyone else? What he said is true?
He is probably right. But I'm not sure how what he says has relevance to the heading of the article and that MP is being linked to the Spurs job.

Errr, am I reading the same as everyone else? What he said is true?

But actually our players are not getting their "experience through the leagues" but rather they are playing in the same league as Spurs so his comment "that is the market they are in" isnt true.

If they are good enough they are old enough

If Townsend was here, he'd be on the bench or in the reserves until he got his head up and stopped losing possession every minute.

Sherwood is saying they're bigger and better because players don't come through so easily, then he points this out by highlighting 2 players that came through in the Championship and League 1. We let Luke Shaw come through, because we didn't have quality like Ekotto and Rose keeping him out.

Sherwood is also saying he thinks he'll get sacked if they don't make the CL. Normally that means top 4 but if Utd should win the CL and not make the top 4 anyway (which they probably won't) he could get sacked even if he's 4th.

Our descent into L1 certainly help Lallana become the player here is now, very doubtful that he'd be a Saints player now if we'd remained in the Prem all those years as, although clearly a talent at a young age, he developed more slowly than someone like Shaw.

The mistake with Townsend isn't that he was loaned out, it was that they loaned him out to so many clubs. If big clubs are serious about developing talent they should put their best young players into long term loans at smaller clubs and incentivise those clubs to give them plenty of game time.

• 2 weeks later...