Players smoking

Matthew Le Tissier

Players smoking

Thought I would do a separate post on this as I mentioned it in another post about a few of our players that smoked and was shocked to hear people saying they think its ok and not a problem!

Is it just me who thinks this is wrong in the modern game

Personally think it just as bad as Osvaldo getting suspended. It's clearly an impact on performance and prem players should be setting a good example as well. It's a choice and one they should be making correctly if they actually take their job seriously. Top players smoking is not an excuse for it being ok at all

Do they smoke during the game? Is that as bad as going for a sh1t?

:hunt:

It is up to the backroom staff at the club. They monitor fitness levels and set the standards. IF it affects a player then THEY would do something about it.

Nothing to do with us fans.

#nannystate

Peronally think it just as bad as Osvaldo getting suspended. It's clearly an impact on performance and prem players should be setting a good example as well. It's a choice and one they should be making correctly if they actually take their job seriously. Top players smoking is not an excuse for it being ok at all

Completely agree with this - its a surprise the club employs players that smoke...when you're looking to all your players to give 110% and then there's players that by choice degrade their performance by smoking, you have to wonder whether the Policy makers really mean what they say.

Personally, I dont see any particular problem with it. I suppose if they're getting through 60 a day it would be a concern, but the odd gasper is up to the player. A huge wage packet only buys the player while he's at work, what they do in their own time is up to them as long as its legal.

Anyway, wouldn't MP have known Osvaldo likes a crafty drag from their time at Espanyol?

It doesn't make any difference at all. I would be less happy if a player was smoking weed as this might have an impact on their motivation and smoking crack is a big no-no. But normal cigarettes are perfectly fine and won't negatively impact upon the players or performance. People smoke because it's relaxing, so if it helps the players cope with the pressures of the game then that is a good thing.

I'm not saying its a secret as I'm sure they know who does.

According to another poster on another thread

Rooney, ozil, Wiltshire ,ballotelli all smoke

Maybe its the latest footballers fashion

Good for the young fans to model them selves on

Wilshere was seeing smoking but he's denied being a regular smoker, whether that's the truth of the matter I just couldn't say.

I've seen a fair few top premiership/major international players smoke. Not saying I agree with it or disagree as it's up to them.

Like I said, they are top international players, at the top of their game, so smoking hasn't hindered their careers.

Bad role model but probs wont effect there game.

Osvaldo was lazy with or without the fags smoking-018.gif

Shocking spelling for somebody who posts so much Glasgow!

Anyway, I agree that it probably won't affect their skill levels, but if it is at the 30 a day level it has to have an impact on their O2 max fitness surely?

Smoking is for girls!

We should sign a player called Butler to play up front with him, then. ;)

To be honest, we'd be better off signing a new player named after a cigarette who could play up front on their own. If we signed a Butler, what will happen when Lambert leaves/retires? We'd be left with a Butler and in exactly the same position as we are now, so we'd need to go out and buy a Lambert. We'd be stuck in an endless cycle of looking for one or the other. We'd be better off buying a player named "Malboro" or "Mayfair" or "Camel". In an ideal world we'd find some foreign player who smoked and scored goals and was named "Lucky Strike", but that's unlikely.

To be honest, we'd be better off signing a new player named after a cigarette who could play up front on their own. If we signed a Butler, what will happen when Lambert leaves/retires? We'd be left with a Butler and in exactly the same position as we are now, so we'd need to go out and buy a Lambert. We'd be stuck in an endless cycle of looking for one or the other. We'd be better off buying a player named "Malboro" or "Mayfair" or "Camel". In an ideal world we'd find some foreign player who smoked and scored goals and was named "Lucky Strike", but that's unlikely.

:lol:

We could check the french leagues, see if there's a striker called Gauloise, or Gitane?

Premier League players should be the very best and the fittest that they are capable of being - it's obvious that if they smoke that they are compromising this and can only achieve a lower percentage of a player who doesn't. Against the player's own potential fitness they are short-changing the club that they're playing for - they should not, as professional sportsmen - smoke at all.

I'm not saying its a secret as I'm sure they know who does.

According to another poster on another thread

Rooney, ozil, Wiltshire ,ballotelli all smoke

Maybe its the latest footballers fashion

Good for the young fans to model them selves on

:mcinnes:

So, smoking makes footballers a bad role model then

Thank God Diving, Cheating, Swearing, Ignoring Authority figures, Excessive Partying, Roasting, Speeding Fines, Training Ground Punch-Ups, Arrogance, Lack of Loyalty, Bling, can all be ignored then.

In fact I don't know how true this is as only been told by a third party

But apparently boruc has a fag in to toilets at half time lol

artur? smoke? never.

artur-boruc-photoshoot-643224455-898116.jpg

artur-boruc-lazy.png

just a thought, maybe this sort of thing is why 50 yr old Kevin Bond outlasted Kenwyne Jones in a bleep test.

I totally understand the objection of some people regarding fitness issues. However, I think that on most occasions, their objections are based more on their usual objections to smoking in other areas of life.

Smokers or not, these players are highly trained in fitness, but more importantly, they need natural talent, a good skill set and commitment. Who is to say that any mental relief that a player might get from smoking may or may not offset the minor lack of fitness that he has?

I agree and understand that smoking is bad for one's health, but what about mental attitude? Maybe Osvaldo would smack less players if he were allowed to smoke while actually playing?....A facetious question, yes, but honestly, I think that the anti-smoking brigade is somewhat myopic.

I totally understand the objection of some people regarding fitness issues. However, I think that on most occasions, their objections are based more on their usual objections to smoking in other areas of life.

Smokers or not, these players are highly trained in fitness, but more importantly, they need natural talent, a good skill set and commitment. Who is to say that any mental relief that a player might get from smoking may or may not offset the minor lack of fitness that he has?

I agree and understand that smoking is bad for one's health, but what about mental attitude? Maybe Osvaldo would smack less players if he were allowed to smoke while actually playing?....A facetious question, yes, but honestly, I think that the anti-smoking brigade is somewhat myopic.

Do you work for the tobacco industry? ;) Smoking is only relaxing if you suffer from addiction.

Minor lack of fitness? The effects of smoking on oxygen capacity are very noticeable. The carbon monoxide alone reduces the amount of available haemoglobin. At the top levels of sport every little percent helps.

Minor lack of fitness? The effects of smoking on oxygen capacity are very noticeable. The carbon monoxide alone reduces the amount of available haemoglobin. At the top levels of sport every little percent helps.

My point was, that talent is probably more important than fitness in many situations.

Osvaldo is supposed to be a lone striker. (Read goal hanger)

Skill is key. Fitness is important, but can you dump anyone who is 1% less fit?

Of course smoking affect player's game.

Smoking reduces your lung capacity so it Will affect player's stamina.

When I smoked (about 15 years in), I did one of those tests on lung capacity at the behest of a couple of underwater hockey players (not a euphemism, apparently you have to hold your breath and stay underwater chasing a puck along the bottom of the pool) who were showing off (in front of some girls, I should add) about how great their lung capacity was. I did no exercise and smoked but my stats turned out better than theirs. I didn't milk the moment, just walked off with them looking sheepish. Not sure that girls are that interested in lung capacity in a prospective mate, anyway.

just a thought, maybe this sort of thing is why 50 yr old Kevin Bond outlasted Kenwyne Jones in a bleep test.

Jones definitely smoked, he used to buy them from a shop I worked in.

As for players smoking, well, it's up to them. Plenty of players do. Plenty of players also go out on the lash a lot which is probably just as bad for fitness.