FA Cup Agenda?

Saint Billy

Will MP view the FA Cup as a serious competition and go all out win it especially now our premiership status is pretty much safe?

Although a toughy as Sunderland are starting to put some results together, their priority must be prem survival whereas surely it would could only bring positives to us.

Personally, I would hope MP goes for it big time and tries to deliver us an FA Cup.

Your thought's people.

It would be prudent if he's unsure on his future - an FA Cup looks good on the CV.

With the worst will in the world and a supremely negative attitude it's hard to see us not making 40 points comfortably which means there's little to no pressure in the league. Also as the season goes on there are very few clubs for which this would be top priority - all the clubs below us are still in the relegation dogfight and most above us are pushing for Europe/Title and this gives us an edge if we take the cup seriously

Course he'd love to win it. Cups mean a lot to managers and the FA cup is famous everywhere. Would add a huge amount to his CV. Clearly he doesn't want to manage in the Europa League but that's a future worry and he might leave even if he wins the cup.

Don't see why clubs aren't allowed to play youth in the Europa league anyway. Just admit it's not being taken seriously, set ticket prices as low as possible and let the assistant manage the games! The Thursday football this has been completely ridiculous and ruined the competition.

Just declare your first team injured with minor knocks if you want to give them a rest.

Is it possible for teams to withdraw from Euro competition? Can you win a cup and just say 'no thanks we don't want to enter the europa league'?

Was it Fulham a couple of years ago who were going to qualify through the fair play league but didn't fancy it, so they kicked the crap out of the other team on the last day of the season.

Oddly, I think teams with foreign managers are more likely to go for the FA cup as it is still seen as the worlds best domestic cup by people outside of England. Maybe that is because the games they see are the ones that have been chosen to be televised, not an all championship clash watched by about 50 people.

Is it possible for teams to withdraw from Euro competition? Can you win a cup and just say 'no thanks we don't want to enter the europa league'?

Barry Glendenning was talking about this on Guardian Football Weekly back in January. He reckoned clubs could decline competing in the Europa League but would probably be slapped with some UEFA sanction if they did so. Also that if a club had won the FA cup and then opted-out of the Europa League, it would most likely be banned from taking part in the FA Cup for at least the following season.

If we got into Europe and played the kids I'd be livid. I'd rather us rest players in the league next season and try and go far in the Europa League, if it were to happen. How many chances are any of us going to get to see Saints in Europe in our lifetime?

I can't explain how much I want to see Saints win the FA Cup.

I love this post. This forum can be hard work at times, but every now and then someone actually manages to remind me what this whole supporter thing is all about.

If we got into Europe and played the kids I'd be livid. I'd rather us rest players in the league next season and try and go far in the Europa League, if it were to happen. How many chances are any of us going to get to see Saints in Europe in our lifetime?

Dell sized mentality 101

I am an idiot and managed to book a holiday on the day of the JPT final back in 2010. I also have managed to book a holiday the weekend of the FA Cup Final. Therefore we will win it!

Brings back memories of 2003, sat at working waiting for the semi-final draw then being absolutely ecstatic when Watford came out of the hat. Ten minutes later, the desolation when I realised I'd booked a holiday coming back on Cup Final Saturday. Ended up heading straight into Luton town centre having flown in there, to find the roughest pub in town to watch the game - only to find it was full of gooners. So I feel your pain.

Can someone explain why a player would feel any different playing in the Champions League on a Wednesday night & then again in the league on the Saturday, compared to Europa League on a Thursday and a league game on the Sunday? Other than everyone in this country de-values the Europa League.