Southampton Linked With Surprise Move for AS Monaco Winger - Lucas Ocampos

Wiggles31

This is a theme with French Ligue games by the sounds of it. Thats twice now I've seen you say this today :lol:

French domestic football in general is of an atrociously low standard, that's why all the best French players take a hike out of it as soon as they possibly can. It's more African football than French really. Salaries are low and contracts are short, that's why anyone with an ounce of promise can just walk out and sign for a German, Spanish,Italian club or Newcastle whenever they fancy it.

When most of them then find out that the required level is way beyond their meagre capacities they come crawling back for even less money. There are a few exceptions but not many.

French domestic football in general is of an atrociously low standard, that's why all the best French players take a hike out of it as soon as they possibly can. It's more African football than French really. Salaries are low and contracts are short, that's why anyone with an ounce of promise can just walk out and sign for a German, Spanish,Italian club or Newcastle whenever they fancy it.

When most of them then find out that the required level is way beyond their meagre capacities they come crawling back for even less money. There are a few exceptions but not many.

Reckon that will change with the dosh at PSG and Monaco? Or will turn into a SPL type situation? Off topic I know.

Reckon that will change with the dosh at PSG and Monaco? Or will turn into a SPL type situation? Off topic I know.

No because they have very few French players. Until Cabaye signed on Qatar FC usually fielded just one French player (Matuidi).

Monaco have a couple more, oldies mainly who've seen better days just there for one last bumper payday but then again they're not in the CL yet, will be next season. They'll then flood the side with more Colombians, Brazilians, Italians or Venezuelans or whatever have yous as PSG have done..

Fair enough. I caught a bit of Toulouse v Monaco a couple of weeks back and he scored an absolute belter, but I don't watch much French football.

It's Toulouse, Pompey could probably beat them actually. Keeper had a pretty poor game, then again he's a very poor keeper.

Toulouse got knocked out of the French Cup by an amateur side, they are atrocious really.

Don't they all ?

And is it compulsory to play such sh!t music with a clip ? Anyone ever measured the correlation with the skill factor:sh!t music, is it crappier the track better the player ? It has to be that way because you would not remain watching a poor player with that sound in the background.

Edited by Badger

Don't they all ?

Of course,then again when you have 3 minutes of video footage complied from 2 or 3 season's play it's unsurprising. Now imagine a Lambert video, do you think they'd put in the 2 misses from Tuesday evening...well no, they'd put in the free kick against Stoke and perhaps the goal against Fulham. That's why these videos have no value whatsoever.

You mean like Morgan Schneiderlin?

Well yes of course but we picked him up when he was just out of youth level and got to work on his talents before they were wasted. Compare him to say Yanga Mbiwa or whatever he's called, Newcastle signed him on as a current French Ligue 1 champion and full international and it took them about a month to work out that it all looks good on paper but the lad has no capacity for learning and improving whatsoever.

It's Toulouse, Pompey could probably beat them actually. Keeper had a pretty poor game, then again he's a very poor keeper.

Toulouse got knocked out of the French Cup by an amateur side, they are atrocious really.

Wow. Are you exaggerating a bit about Pompey?! I mean, I knew the standard in France wasn't great, but Toulouse are 12th in Ligue 1. I get it that maybe Bournemouth would test them, but Pompey?

Wow. Are you exaggerating a bit about Pompey?! I mean, I knew the standard in France wasn't great, but Toulouse are 12th in Ligue 1. I get it that maybe Bournemouth would test them, but Pompey?

Moulins is about 80 miles up the road from here, I've even been there recently, they really aren't very good and yet they beat Toulouse. I've not seen anything of Pompey lately but they can't be much worse than Moulins who'd be about what conference level really. Being 12th in Ligue 1 means nothing at all when you take into account how bad sides like Sochaux,Ajaccio and Valenciennes really are. They'd not survive in the Championship.

Actually that clip should be compulsory watching at SFC by both MP & KL.

They are bound to conclude how good the River Plate sash looks, and they even feature in red and white stripes as well.

Back on the player though, aren't Monaco a mega-funded club. No need to sell for stupid money.

Unless of course Dalian Wanda is bankrolling it personally...

Moulins is about 80 miles up the road from here, I've even been there recently, they really aren't very good and yet they beat Toulouse. I've not seen anything of Pompey lately but they can't be much worse than Moulins who'd be about what conference level really. Being 12th in Ligue 1 means nothing at all when you take into account how bad sides like Sochaux,Ajaccio and Valenciennes really are. They'd not survive in the Championship.

Interesting insight mate, cheers!

Back on the player though, aren't Monaco a mega-funded club. No need to sell for stupid money.

Unless of course Dalian Wanda is bankrolling it personally...

They are but as they have to pay 50 million euros a season to be allowed to play in the French League they'll not keep anyone who they consider surplus to requirements as they'll be spending a fortune on mega stars again for the upcoming CL campaign..

Moulins is about 80 miles up the road from here, I've even been there recently,

Went past there Monday as I came back cross-country from the Alps (it's the one Nevers way I presume!), and I could even hear kids training in the ground by my motel further up the Loire, but you don't get the impression it's a football country. Silly impression, I know, but maybe it's the spread-out nature of the country and population, plus the various sport alternatives available. No doubt in the banlieus it's a bit different.

Went past there Monday as I came back cross-country from the Alps (it's the one Nevers way I presume!), and I could even hear kids training in the ground by my motel further up the Loire, but you don't get the impression it's a football country. Silly impression, I know, but maybe it's the spread-out nature of the country and population, plus the various sport alternatives available. No doubt in the banlieus it's a bit different.

Yes you'd go past Moulins if you were on the N7, you go round it if you follow the signs but in fact it's far quicker to ignore them and go through the centre, it's just a one horse town really and you can fuel up at Leclerc on the way out.

Football in France outside the epicentres like Lyon,Marseille and Paris is slowly dying a death because well not to put too fine a point on it you might as well go and watch a match in Mali or Burkina Faso. Crowds are ridiculously low and it's only public money that keeps most clubs afloat. The Championship is a one horse race and all but 2 of the French national starting X1

play outside France, it's about money and there isn't any in France just now.

Monaco paid a fair bit for him as a 17 year old from River Plate IIRC, has always been highly rated and even if the French league is poor he still seems to have done pretty well in it for a 19 year old.

Googled him yesterday, and there was a link to a story that Monaco were looking to offload him last window to an Italian club.

Monaco paid a fair bit for him as a 17 year old from River Plate IIRC, has always been highly rated and even if the French league is poor he still seems to have done pretty well in it for a 19 year old.

Agree - people droning on about the quality of french league football are missing the point.

The kid is only 19, was plucked out of relative obscurity, that is, beggars can't be choosers and and made the transition more or less seamlessly. There's only so much you can do. Never mind that the big boys have been looking at him.

If he was a French journeyman whose ceiling had been set, it would be a different. He's not.

No? Well neither did Portsmouth, in fact they didn't survive in League 1 either, and they are barely surviving in League 2 :lol:

I have never, ever seen Window Cleaner say that a player we've been linked with would be a good signing.

Personally I have watched him play once or twice and think he'd suit us well, and my Argie mate thinks he's the next big thing too. Quick, strong, good in the air and very tricky.

Think he'd be an excellent signing - for the right price.

Would fit their signing profile or getting younger players in, shipping them out on loan for a few years to see how the develop and flog if they dont.

True - interesting to know how many of these 'bets' have worked, not just the ones who've gone back and made it at Chelsea or succeeded at other clubs a la Lukaku.

I have never, ever seen Window Cleaner say that a player we've been linked with would be a good signing.

Personally I have watched him play once or twice and think he'd suit us well, and my Argie mate thinks he's the next big thing too. Quick, strong, good in the air and very tricky.

Think he'd be an excellent signing - for the right price.

Agree - with young, foreign players, having the right physical attributes -being strong etc- is usually half the battle.