What has gone wrong?

Glasgow_Saint

At the end of the day, MP has a realistic squad of 13-14 players to work with week in week out. He's done a bloody good job.

Your a poster I respect dig dig and a posters whose opinion I value.

Your above comment is right.... he does have a relatively small squad. However someone recently posted some stats that showed that over the last 18 games mopo's record is worse than Adkins (last 18 ). Nigel of course was working with a much much weaker squad than Mopo so how did he (NA) get the sack (+ comments saying he was out of his depth etc) but mopo is doing a "bloody good job"?

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

At the end of the day, MP has a realistic squad of 13-14 players to work with week in week out. He's done a bloody good job.

Absolutely, which is why I said that he should have sent the U21s to Sunderland in the Cup. We're paying those lads (probably not much) but they are contributing nothing and probably for the most part will contribute nothing.....So let them have a game, we lost anyway, no point in going about it half-arsed. Why send knackered first teamers all the time, some of them are obviously running on empty anyway. You just have to ask yourself why lads like Stevens and Moore just haven't stepped up

despite being built up as great white hopes for years now.

Your above comment is right.... he does have a relatively small squad. However someone recently posted some stats that showed that over the last 18 games mopo's record is worse than Adkins (last 18 ). Nigel of course was working with a much much weaker squad than Mopo so how did he (NA) get the sack (+ comments saying he was out of his depth etc) but mopo is doing a "bloody good job"?

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

I wonder who, about the bold part above....

Much much weaker...I dont know......in the last 18 games, how many combined appearances do Wanyama, Lovren, Osvaldo have?

And Boruc maybe should be included?

Does Mopo have a better squad than Adkins did?

Do you ever answer questions YOU get here?

The squad is better when everyone is fit, that hasn´t been the case since november basically.

Is the squad also better because players has become better during this last year?

Yes, and actually that probably has something to do with the training methods from the manager you know...

The squad is better when everyone is fit, that hasn´t been the case since november basically.

Is the squad also better because players has become better during this last year?

Yes, and actually that probably has something to do with the training methods from the manager you know...

So the squad is better, the players are better....... but the results are worse.

Can you see why I started the thread now?

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

Definitely food for thought mate. At the end of the day , the last game Adkins managed us in, we drew. The last game MP has had with is, we lost. I think you might be onto something.

I mean if Adkins and Crosby were such good coaches as some make them out to be it would be really hard to understand their actual position in the Championship wouldn't it. Adkins did reasonably well because the squad he had at his disposition was filled with exceptionally talented footballers, probably of the type that no matter how bad or good the coaches methods are the talent will always see them through. When you have lesser players you have to earn your salary a bit more.

[TABLE=class: leaguenavtable, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: menuhead]Show Scotland Leagues[/TD]

[TD=class: menuhead] Show European Leagues [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: teambanner, align: center]Southampton - 9th, English Premier League

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR=class: syndbg]

[TD=class: clubstatstitle]League Record 2013-2014[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: league]

[TR]

[TH=class: norm][/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Pld[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]W[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]D[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]L[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]F[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]A[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GD[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GFA[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GAA[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]PpG[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Pts[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Rank[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: box]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Home Record[/TH]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]4[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]21[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]19[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.50[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.35[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.42[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]20[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Away Record[/TH]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]17[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]16[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.21[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.14[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Overall Record[/TH]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]28[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]9[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]38[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]35[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.25[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.39[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]39[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=colspan: 20][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TD=class: clubstatstitle]League Record 2012-2013 [for the same period][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: league]

[TR]

[TH=class: norm][/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Pld[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]W[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]D[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]L[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]F[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]A[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GD[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GFA[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]GAA[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]PpG[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Pts[/TH]

[TH=class: norm, width: 25, align: center]Rank[/TH]

[/TR]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Home Record[/TH]

[/TR]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Away Record[/TH]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]20[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]34[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]-14[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.42[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]2.42[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]0.71[/TD]

[/TR]

[TH=class: sideheader, align: center]Overall Record[/TH]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]28[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]13[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]39[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]51[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]-12[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.39[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]1.82[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]0.96[/TD]

[TD=class: norm, align: center]27[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Does this show improvement this season? This is taken from Football365

So the squad is better, the players are better....... but the results are worse.

No, I dont see where 15th is better than 9th. And since you go on about "out of both cups", we got further in the cups this year compared to last year....

So how is results worse??

But I do know there are some truely special intelligence on this forum so maybe someone can tell me..

I mean if Adkins and Crosby were such good coaches as some make them out to be it would be really hard to understand their actual position in the Championship wouldn't it. Adkins did reasonably well because the squad he had at his disposition was filled with exceptionally talented footballers, probably of the type that no matter how bad or good the coaches methods are the talent will always see them through. When you have lesser players you have to earn your salary a bit more.
Yeah it's really easy to get promoted out of the Championship, just fill your team with top players, look at QPR now........

Yeah it's really easy to get promoted out of the Championship, just fill your team with top players, look at QPR now........

And still so many on here suggests we buy a lot of those championship players during every transfer window......

If QPR had Schneiderlin,Lallana,Cork,Fonte and a fully functionning Lambert they'd be streets ahead as well.
Plenty of teams have spent multi-millions on talent and not got promoted, it's one of the hardest asks in football and is a great achievement.

Plenty of teams have spent multi-millions on talent and not got promoted, it's one of the hardest asks in football and is a great achievement.

Whereas we spent what about 4 million on those players, the nucleus of our Championship side. It's not about how much you spend, it's about what you get for your money, doubt if one player from the current QPR side would be in our first XI, whereas we had 5 or 6 players capable of making the step up effortlessly. It is fairly well known in physical training circles that there is a type of athlete or player that no matter what you do you cannot ruin the talent that they possess. You may misuse it and not get the optimum amount out of it but nothing that you can do will destroy it short of kneecapping them or something.

tbf on glasgow i remember 11 games in he kept going on bout "What has gone right?" and highlighting our improvement compared with preceding 18 games. He also started a thread called "Team playing so well under Mopo: NOT a MYTH"

Whereas we spent what about 4 million on those players, the nucleus of our Championship side. It's not about how much you spend, it's about what you get for your money, doubt if one player from the current QPR side would be in our first XI, whereas we had 5 or 6 players capable of making the step up effortlessly. It is fairly well known in physical training circles that there is a type of athlete or player that no matter what you do you cannot ruin the talent that they possess. You may misuse it and not get the optimum amount out of it but nothing that you can do will destroy it short of kneecapping them or something.
Why did Cortese take so long over selecting the right man if it was such an easy job, with an unbeatable squad of players? Any old mug could do it. How did they manage their S****horpe promotions as well?

tbf on glasgow i remember 11 games in he kept going on bout "What has gone right?" and highlighting our improvement compared with preceding 18 games. He also started a thread called "Team playing so well under Mopo: NOT a MYTH"

And : Look at the win percentage on that!

Have you noticed that the dip in form coincides exactly with the injuries to key players? Boruc and Wanyama and Clyne out led to more goals being conceded, then Lovren. Then you have to take into account that the players filling in may be a bit rusty for not playing for a long time and will take a couple of games to get into it, a luxury you don't get in the Premier League.

Our inability to find the back of the net consistently lately has been an issue, but we had a similar problem at the start of the season, but because we were defending so well we only needed to score one or two to win games. When we get our defensive solidarity back, the goal scoring may not seem such an issue again. I imagine that this will be an area that the club tries to improve in the summer though, as evidenced by the recruitment of a new striker last summer.

I can see why you started the thread, and it's because you don't ever seem to look at the long term nature of the game, bigger picture and assess all possibilities before reacting to what you think is immediately in front of you.

Edited by Beckenham Saint

Yea, I got infracted the other day for saying the word waffle

I once said drivel........which often refers to me and many other posters.:D

But someone complained and I lost 100 tesco points.:rolleyes:

waffle and drivel are two very good descriptive words when used on this forum:p

Yes, this.

The abuse being handed out to those who dont toe the party line is getting utterly ridiculous at the moment.

Agreed. It is great for people to hold a variety of views and even to be on the margins provided they keep within the ethos of the site and are not personally abusive.

I once said drivel........which often refers to me and many other posters.:D

But someone complained and I lost 100 tesco points.:rolleyes:

waffle and drivel are two very good descriptive words when used on this forum:p

Mmm, I love waffles, but drivels are harmful and should not be tolerated without full knowledge of the damage they can often inflict. Or soemthing like that.

Well I cant arsed to through the whole thread about what certain posters think could be wrong, but this is one possibility why our form has dropped lately.

Working in sports I get people who are overtrained and have pushed their bodies to hard for a long period of time, this is what I think has happened to the players too. When you are overtrained, your concentration drops, you pick up injuries and have low energy levels. With our high pressing game and small squad it means we cant rotate and the players have to play many games, and have little time to recover. Older players and player who play almost every game i.e Lambert, Schneiderlin, Fonte and Rodriquez must be absolutely knacked by this stage and would probably struggle till the end of the season, unless they get a break.

Under Adkins the players were fit, under MP the players were fitter at the start of the season. But with Adkins history in physiotherapy, I believe he had a greater knowledge of sports periodization and knew when the players needed a rest. Now since MP has been incharge I believe most of the backroom staff has been replaced, and if you dont have a great knowledge of strength and conditioning, then how do you know when someone is a good S&C coach?

And based on the training photos the club upload to their Facebook account, I cant say I am that impressed with the strength training the players do.

Well I cant arsed to through the whole thread about what certain posters think could be wrong, but this is one possibility why our form has dropped lately.

Working in sports I get people who are overtrained and have pushed their bodies to hard for a long period of time, this is what I think has happened to the players too. When you are overtrained, your concentration drops, you pick up injuries and have low energy levels. With our high pressing game and small squad it means we cant rotate and the players have to play many games, and have little time to recover. Older players and player who play almost every game i.e Lambert, Schneiderlin, Fonte and Rodriquez must be absolutely knacked by this stage and would probably struggle till the end of the season, unless they get a break.

Under Adkins the players were fit, under MP the players were fitter at the start of the season. But with Adkins history in physiotherapy, I believe he had a greater knowledge of sports periodization and knew when the players needed a rest. Now since MP has been incharge I believe most of the backroom staff has been replaced, and if you dont have a great knowledge of strength and conditioning, then how do you know when someone is a good S&C coach?

And based on the training photos the club upload to their Facebook account, I cant say I am that impressed with the strength training the players do.

Posted a thread on this back in october while everyone was getting carried away with winning the league.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47397-Endurance

Since Sheff Utd decided to give it their all in the FA Cup, putting out full strength teams despite their perilous league position and busy schedule of games, they have done a lot more than progress in the cup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26134166

No no no they must be shattered, they have such a small squad!! How are they coping? Hull lost to Newcastle this week just becuase they were away to Brighton 2 weeks earlier in the cup.

Since Sheff Utd decided to give it their all in the FA Cup, putting out full strength teams despite their perilous league position and busy schedule of games, they have done a lot more than progress in the cup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26134166

And in the Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html

'Cup lift can be crucial'

FA Cup football gets bottom clubs relegated. That is the dismal logic. Then how to explain Sheffield United’s rise from the foot of League One?

They had taken 25 points from 24 matches before the FA Cup third round, at an average of 1.04. Since going on their giant-killing quest they have collected 19 points from nine, and risen to mid-table.

Sunderland, also, have gone from averaging 0.7 points per game before the FA Cup began to 1.6 points per game during their run to the quarter-finals.

Winning is a habit, too, and builds confidence — the very quality most failing teams lack.

Fielding weakened teams, by contrast, is defeatist. That is what gets a club relegated.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html#ixzz2v5RhMlj3

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html#ixzz2v5RawWIR

And in the Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html

'Cup lift can be crucial'

FA Cup football gets bottom clubs relegated. That is the dismal logic. Then how to explain Sheffield United’s rise from the foot of League One?

They had taken 25 points from 24 matches before the FA Cup third round, at an average of 1.04. Since going on their giant-killing quest they have collected 19 points from nine, and risen to mid-table.

Sunderland, also, have gone from averaging 0.7 points per game before the FA Cup began to 1.6 points per game during their run to the quarter-finals.

Winning is a habit, too, and builds confidence — the very quality most failing teams lack.

Fielding weakened teams, by contrast, is defeatist. That is what gets a club relegated.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html#ixzz2v5RhMlj3

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2573110/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-dont-ALL-flying-wingers-Brazil-Hodgson-rely-Sterling-Lallana-Co-score-Carroll-Welbeck.html#ixzz2v5RawWIR

People know my views on the cup thing but I think Sheffield Utd is about Cloughie sorting out an under performing squad. The cup run is not a cause, it's an effect.

Sunderland I'd say the same thing.

Cup runs are neither detrimental or beneficial to league form: Wigan went down because they were a poor, weak squad. Not because they won the cup.

Has the politician in waiting answered it yet?

People know my views on the cup thing but I think Sheffield Utd is about Cloughie sorting out an under performing squad. The cup run is not a cause, it's an effect.

Sunderland I'd say the same thing.

Cup runs are neither detrimental or beneficial to league form: Wigan went down because they were a poor, weak squad. Not because they won the cup.

re Sheff Utd. Cloughie has been there all season and they have been truly dismal until the cup run started. Winning at Villa gave them a massive lift. Have a close mate who follows them home and away

re Sheff Utd. Cloughie has been there all season and they have been truly dismal until the cup run started. Winning at Villa gave them a massive lift. Have a close mate who follows them home and away

David Weir was manager for the 1st 13 games. He was sacked in October