Malaysia Airlines plane missing

melmacian_saint

Oh dear I wonder how much longer this Russian soldier will live ?

A Russian soldier's goofy selfies posted online may have proved that his country's military is operating in eastern Ukraine illicitly.

Alexander "Sanya" Sotkin, 24, has posted photographs on Instagram of himself wearing a military uniform pulling faces and

appearing to sit in an armoured personnel carrier.

Unknown to him, his iPad automatically geotagged him with GPS coordinates, with Buzzfeed revealing that he was actually

in Ukraine on July 5.

Buzzfeed reported Sotkin was in the village of Krasna Derkul on the same day Ukraine reported mortar strikes on border positions.

Five days ago Sotkin posted another image in which he claimed to be inside a Buk missile launcher, the same piece of weaponry

believed to be responsible for the MH17 plane crash.

"Sitting around, working on a Buk, listening to music, basically a good Sunday," he wrote alongside images of him posing and flashing

a gang sign.

Buzzfeed writes that Instagram's geolocating tool is highly accurate.

Link with pictures

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/russian-soldier-alexander-sotkin-posts-instagram-selfies-that-may-link-russian-military-to-ukraine/story-fnjwmwrh-1227009899938

Of course it could be a very clever fraud by the West ???

Well according to a book about MH 370to be released in the next few days:-

Through a process of elimination, we were left with the uncomfortable and very tragic likelihood that

Zaharie - because of some personality disorder, depression or emotional breakdown - killed himself

and everyone on the aircraft deliberately."

The authors believe Zaharie probably shut his co-pilot, Fariq Hamid, out of the cockpit, then closed

off all communication and turned the aircraft around. He depressurised the aircraft and, once the cabin

crew and passengers' oxygen had run out, they died from hypoxia.

The book cites the fact that pilot suicide has killed hundreds of people in recent decades, and the authors

call for tighter scrutiny of pilot stress levels and more openness about mental health issues in the cockpit.

They are also critical of some Muslim countries' reluctance to acknowledge pilots' role in murder/suicide.**

"Muslims don't commit suicide seems to be the common refrain,"** says Taylor, deputy editor of the Waikato Times.

"Well, they do, and surely the travelling public deserve better than that."

- Waikato Times

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/10340542/Disturbed-pilot-took-MH370-passengers-to-ocean-grave-authors-claim

** I thought that Muslims used suicide bombers to kill people ????

Oh dear I wonder how much longer this Russian soldier will live ?

A Russian soldier's goofy selfies posted online may have proved that his country's military is operating in eastern Ukraine illicitly.

Alexander "Sanya" Sotkin, 24, has posted photographs on Instagram of himself wearing a military uniform pulling faces and

appearing to sit in an armoured personnel carrier.

Unknown to him, his iPad automatically geotagged him with GPS coordinates, with Buzzfeed revealing that he was actually

in Ukraine on July 5.

Buzzfeed reported Sotkin was in the village of Krasna Derkul on the same day Ukraine reported mortar strikes on border positions.

Five days ago Sotkin posted another image in which he claimed to be inside a Buk missile launcher, the same piece of weaponry

believed to be responsible for the MH17 plane crash.

"Sitting around, working on a Buk, listening to music, basically a good Sunday," he wrote alongside images of him posing and flashing

a gang sign.

Buzzfeed writes that Instagram's geolocating tool is highly accurate.

Link with pictures

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/russian-soldier-alexander-sotkin-posts-instagram-selfies-that-may-link-russian-military-to-ukraine/story-fnjwmwrh-1227009899938

Of course it could be a very clever fraud by the West ???

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/no-this-instagram-photo-does-not-prove-the-russian-army-is-in-ukraine--lkcluiK4Mg

** I thought that Muslims used suicide bombers to kill people ????

Nope, that's extremists who twist whatever they believe to suit their own bloodthirsty agendas.

In Islam, suicide is considered one of the gravest sins because the belief is that the body should be treated as a temple.

Suicide bombers are thought to date back to the 11th century and were used in both WW2 and the Vietnam War. Islamic extremists didn't start using this tactic until the 1980s.

Ukraine's security minister has claimed that the separatists intended to bring down a Russian airliner (with Russia's knowledge) to justify an invasion of Ukraine. Who knows what the truth is, but an interesting idea. I giuess its consistent with the allegations that the Moscow tower block bombs were an excuse to invade Chechnya.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/nalyvaychenko-said-that-separatists-intended-to-shoot-down-russian-passenger-plane-359765.html

• 1 month later...

Preliminary report on MH17 by the Dutch:-

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/sep/09/mh17-dutch-investigators-verdict-on-crash-over-ukraine-live-updates

Video:-

Flight MH17 broke up in mid-air as a result of structural damage caused by “a large number of high-energy objects that penetrated the aircraft from outside “ according to the Dutch investigators preliminary report.

Sounds like "bullets" to my layman ears.

Nah, missile warheads either contain shrapnel or are designed to fragment into high speed bits of metal so it could still be a SAM or an air to air missile.

or it could be bullets

or aliens

The choice of language and the mere fact that we're speculating about this speaks volumes. Shouldn't we have a more prescriptive explanation than "high energy objects" at this point?

Bullets = round holes

Shrapnel = irregular holes

(to my layman's mind)

You could have both.

http://www.anderweltonline.com/wissenschaft-und-technik/luftfahrt-2014/shocking-analysis-of-the-shooting-down-of-malaysian-mh17/

http://www.anderweltonline.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Cockpit-MH017.pdf

For that to be true though, a modern fighter jet would need to be equipped with air-to-air missiles and some kind of cannon.

Hasn't been true since 1942, apparently :) *

* Fun quiz for military fans: How many fighter jets in active service lack any kind of ballistic ordnance whatsoever? I have a "friend" that could benefit from the information.

• 1 month later...

The head of a major international airlines has criticised the Australian-led mission to find Malaysia Airlines flight MH370,

saying he believes the aircraft was always under control and may not be in the southern Indian Ocean.

Emirates Airline head Tim Clark has thrown doubt on the official line that the aircraft, which had 239 people

on board when it disappeared in March, flew south on autopilot for five hours until it ran out of fuel and

plummeted into the water.

"MH370 was, in my opinion, under control, probably until the very end," Mr Clark said in an interview

with with German magazine Der Spiegel.

"Our experience tells us that in water incidents, where the aircraft has gone down, there is always

something. We have not seen a single thing that suggests categorically that this aircraft is where

they say it is, apart from this so-called electronic satellite "handshake," which I question as well."

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/mh370-emirates-airlines-head-tim-clark-says-missing-plane-was-under-control-probably-until-the-very-end/ar-BB8CVDD

• 1 month later...

Bellingcat, the open-source 'citizen investigative journalists' who recently triangulated the exact location of James Foley's murder, have carried out this succinct and persuasive dismissal of the supposed shoot-down image as fakery.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2014/11/14/russian-state-television-shares-fake-images-of-mh17-being-attacked/

The claim on Russian state TV that it was sourced from Wikileaks is (unsurprisingly) false.

I will almost guarantee that is a fake. At that range it would blatantly obvious you are looking at a commercial airliner, the two of them are barely half a mile apart.

I think the Russian / pro-Russian rebel contention would be that it was deliberately targeted for propaganda purposes.

I think the Russian / pro-Russian rebel contention would be that it was deliberately targeted for propaganda purposes.

You would think so but I don't see what the Ukrainians would gain from a deliberate shoot down. I know it would rouse some anti-Russian feelings but with nothing proven, all we've got is speculation and mud slinging by the respective governments. Nothing worth murdering a couple of hundred innocent civilians over.

I'm sure you and most people outside of Russia already know that.

You would think so but I don't see what the Ukrainians would gain from a deliberate shoot down. I know it would rouse some anti-Russian feelings but with nothing proven, all we've got is speculation and mud slinging by the respective governments. Nothing worth murdering a couple of hundred innocent civilians over.

I'm sure you and most people outside of Russia already know that.

I'd agree with your general point, but IF mother-Russia was behind this (and to be honest it does appear a little amateurish for a state-led conspiracy - pap to The Lounge please!), then all they need is enough muddying of the waters, so that back home it appears as a credible possibility.

As to your point that the Ukrainians would gain nothing from deliberately shooting down the plane. I'm not so sure. Firstly, I should say that I don't believe they did. Secondly, if memory serves the West weighed-in more heavily with sanctions against Russia following the downing of the plane, and Russia's involvement in the conflict has been given greater attention since.

So I'd say that Ukraine 'benefited' from the downing of the plane, if you'll forgive the suggestion.

What I find amazing is that if, as we believe, Russia had some hand in the flight being shot down - albeit maybe 'only' perhaps supplying the hardware, then I'm surprised this didn't escalate further than it did.

Western citizens were killed in the incident, and yet Russia apparently still maintains its stance.

It just shows how impotent diplomacy is, when the object of your diplomatic ire doesn't give a ****.

* Fun quiz for military fans: How many fighter jets in active service lack any kind of ballistic ordnance whatsoever? I have a "friend" that could benefit from the information.

Although not 'current', the F4 Phantom went into service without guns, it only used missiles. The US found out the hard way that this severely limited it's capabilities in dogfights with North Vietnamese MIGs.

Edited by badgerx16

Flying to Oz next month with Malaysia on an A380, that's 551 in economy when it goes down. :scared:

I have flown with them four times since this happened. Nothing wrong with them, and due to the public not wanting to go on them, plenty of space to get a row to sleep on as I haven't been on one which isn't close to being full.

Its not like these planes have fallen out of the sky due to mechanical troubles, in fact I bet their planes get checked over a bit more thoroughly now.

And they have a huge sale..might see what I can pick up.

I'd agree with your general point, but IF mother-Russia was behind this (and to be honest it does appear a little amateurish for a state-led conspiracy - pap to The Lounge please!), then all they need is enough muddying of the waters, so that back home it appears as a credible possibility.

As to your point that the Ukrainians would gain nothing from deliberately shooting down the plane. I'm not so sure. Firstly, I should say that I don't believe they did. Secondly, if memory serves the West weighed-in more heavily with sanctions against Russia following the downing of the plane, and Russia's involvement in the conflict has been given greater attention since.

So I'd say that Ukraine 'benefited' from the downing of the plane, if you'll forgive the suggestion.

What I find amazing is that if, as we believe, Russia had some hand in the flight being shot down - albeit maybe 'only' perhaps supplying the hardware, then I'm surprised this didn't escalate further than it did.

Western citizens were killed in the incident, and yet Russia apparently still maintains its stance.

It just shows how impotent diplomacy is, when the object of your diplomatic ire doesn't give a ****.

On the point about what does Ukraine have to gain:-

Russia effectively rolled into Crimea, and after much international furore, the international public slowly stopped giving a fúck.

Think I've said similar before, but if you ever wanted a tangible example of international concern, I can't really think of a more relevant one for the public than a commercial airliner. Duly, the world renewed its interest in Ukraine, Putin (and by extension) was made to look like at worst, a belligerent - and at best, an incompetent with no control over the pro-Russian rebels. Additional actions like sanctions, etc, were both justified and taken, all based on nowt more than social media, despite the US saying they had hard evidence proving that pro-Russian rebels were responsible.

This video has been posted before. If the US have the evidence they claim to have, they can sink this Russian evidence in a single shot.

Over to you, colonial cousins.

• 1 month later...
Flight MH370 was 'hacked and shot down by US Air Force' claims former airline boss

Not far from what the majority on here felt what happened. Australia was obviously the red herring to ensure nothing was found.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/flight-mh370-hacked-shot-down-4851909

Have you been on those mushrooms again ART?

'Remotely hijacked' what a load of horse sh*t, you can't remotely control a commercial airliner nor did anyone think that was the case. That article is nonsense. For a start most fire extinguishers on aircraft are halon, which may well float if an extinguisher was dropped in water. Also the toilet extinguisher is the only one I can think of which would automatically discharge.

Also, why would the US military shoot down a plan over the Indian Ocean (then deny all knowledge)? It wouldn't have enough fuel to get within 5,000 miles of the US main land. If it were possible to 'remotely hijack' an airliner you would do it near the US mainland and target a big city, not some remote military airbase with minimal staff and media exposure.

Edited by Lighthouse

Have you been on those mushrooms again ART?

'Remotely hijacked' what a load of horse sh*t, you can't remotely control a commercial airliner nor did anyone think that was the case. That article is nonsense. For a start most fire extinguishers on aircraft are halon, which may well float if an extinguisher was dropped in water. Also the toilet extinguisher is the only one I can think of which would automatically discharge.

Ahh who knows, who knows. Perhaps the Yanks were testing their new laser canon and farked up, impressive piece of weaponry by all accounts. Extremely effective and at about a dollar a shot (not counting the billions on R+D of course) a handy piece of hardware.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtpDjtyyULXiwmms1eQt1SacnZoKDhAqWA6zxfD9OS1hvdQrVLQ

Edited by Window Cleaner

Maybe folk are forgetting part of the cargo the plane was carrying which the Americans didn't want to get into the hands of the Chinese. The mere fact there were sightings and that search of that part of the Indian Ocean has been forbidden gives this theory credible foundation.

So the Malaysians (world famous for their state of the art military hardware) have developed something so important that the Americans would murder a couple of hundred innocent civilians to prevent it from going to China. Yet at the same time it is so unimportant that the Chinese stuck it in the cargo hold of a passenger plane, rather than a top secret military flight of their own. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I completely missed the part where searching for the wreckage somewhere has been forbidden. Got a link? I don't get why anyone would spend tens of millions looking for the plane elsewhere if they knew full well it was in some forbidden area.

The story goes that the Taliban stole some secret equipment and sold it to the Chinese who were

trying to hide it in plain site by using a commercial airliner.They also thought the U.S. wouldn't think

that they ( Chinese ) would try that option.

Yes it is very possible to remote control a suitably modified aircraft especially IF the pilots are "indisposed".

Remember also that aircraft have and extensively use the "autopilot" ( basically remote control ) in fact

some airlines insist on its use as much as possible hence the concern that pilots are not getting enough

actual "hands on" flying experience.

As for believing this whole MH370 story ? Well the more I read the more I am now unsure about what really

happened but I do think that us plebs will perhaps never end up knowing the full truth.

So the Malaysians (world famous for their state of the art military hardware) have developed something so important that the Americans would murder a couple of hundred innocent civilians to prevent it from going to China. Yet at the same time it is so unimportant that the Chinese stuck it in the cargo hold of a passenger plane, rather than a top secret military flight of their own. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I completely missed the part where searching for the wreckage somewhere has been forbidden. Got a link? I don't get why anyone would spend tens of millions looking for the plane elsewhere if they knew full well it was in some forbidden area.

Maybe it wasn't hardware at all, maybe it was information / knowledge.

Think back to the end of WW2, if the Russians wanted to hamper The West's efforts to create an atomic bomb, all they had to do was down a plane / sink a boat that was taking the rocket and aeronautic scientists to America.

Also, I'm no expert on remote controlling a passenger plane, so all my info is gleamed from the internet (could be good, could be bad) but this is Boeing Patent for the Boeing Honeywell Uninterruptible Autopilot, filed in 2003. 11 years ago.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7142971.PN.&OS=PN/7142971&RS=PN/7142971

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but the lack of wreckage is getting increasingly odd. It's obviously a large area where it could have come down but surely something would have shown up by now?

I don't see any reason to doubt the INMARSAT information though, the science seems to hold up and they seem transparent enough about how they got the info and worked it out.

Think back to the end of WW2, if the Russians wanted to hamper The West's efforts to create an atomic bomb, all they had to do was down a plane / sink a boat that was taking the rocket and aeronautic scientists to America.

There were thousands of scientists working on the Manhattan project.

What happen to thinking aliens did this stuff? Conspiracy theorists have become boring. I miss the days when you could blame aliens!

The story goes that the Taliban stole some secret equipment and sold it to the Chinese who were

trying to hide it in plain site by using a commercial airliner.They also thought the U.S. wouldn't think

that they ( Chinese ) would try that option.

Yes it is very possible to remote control a suitably modified aircraft especially IF the pilots are "indisposed".

Remember also that aircraft have and extensively use the "autopilot" ( basically remote control ) in fact

some airlines insist on its use as much as possible hence the concern that pilots are not getting enough

actual "hands on" flying experience.

As for believing this whole MH370 story ? Well the more I read the more I am now unsure about what really

happened but I do think that us plebs will perhaps never end up knowing the full truth.

I fly Boeings for a living, there is no technology on board any of their planes which could be used as a remote control. All the autopilot does if follow the pilots commands, whether it be headings, altitudes, speeds or a pre determined route in the flight management computer.

There is no way Al Qa'ida have developed the technology to over ride and manually fly a 777 from it's existing route into an American military building hundreds of miles away. Even less likely that they then managed to get it through security at a major international airport, spend several days installing it into a 777 without anyone noticing then expect it to all work perfectly without anyone noticing.

To also incapacitate the pilot would require hijacking a plane and getting through security at a major international airport. Even if you are successful in all of that, you have hijacked a plane... so why would you then need to pilot it remotely.

All of this just sounds massively implausible to me. I know people love to think governments are all run by evil masterminds who think of cunning and ingenious ways to murder innocent people and make it look like the enemy but this is too far fetched.

• 7 months later...
I

I know people love to think governments are all run by evil masterminds who think of cunning and ingenious ways to murder innocent people and make it look like the enemy but this is too far fetched.

I have to say that whatever really happened it has resulted in a great loss of life which is very sad and upsetting for the relatives.:(:(

However a conspiracy theory is much more exciting and fun than the real truth which can be very boring for those without any personal connections :lol:

Given that it's the only 777 ever to have crashed into the ocean I don't think that was ever really in doubt.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, they can learn from this. Possibly the attitude at which the plane hit the water if there is structural damage to it but probably not a lot else.

Given that it's the only 777 ever to have crashed into the ocean I don't think that was ever really in doubt.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, they can learn from this. Possibly the attitude at which the plane hit the water if there is structural damage to it but probably not a lot else.

I saw one report that reckoned they would probably be able to tell whether it was a controlled ditching or a falling out of the sky. Presumably because the flaperons would be down in a ditching and exposed to the full force of the water.

I saw one report that reckoned they would probably be able to tell whether it was a controlled ditching or a falling out of the sky. Presumably because the flaperons would be down in a ditching and exposed to the full force of the water.

To do with extreme flutter under certain situations, apparently.

• 1 year later...