"Glass ceiling and summer budget"

Fitzhugh Fella

So if you dare to criticise SaintSteve says you don't support Saints. The happy clappers continue to do more damage than they realise.

I don't get this whole happy clappers thing. Isn't the whole point of being a supporter to actually support? Sure there are a lot of what if's right now, ones that will make you angry if you dwell on them too long. But we don't know what is going on and it isn't the first time nor the last the papers/media have created rumours about us which actually are not true. I don't think it is "happy clappy" to not believe what is in the press or get wrapped up in the whole negative state some would like you to be in right now.

Last summer everything was meant to fall apart, last January we were supposed to have sold our best players and youngsters. They are still here. I wouldn't worry so much!

I apologise for using the word "clappers" - it was childish but there is a danger sometimes of having our hopes raised by over optimism. I think if Cortese had been given a free rein for another two years and had flashed the cash as liberally as he had up to now then just perhaps we could have pushed on for 4th, but I reckon he was living a lie as far as how much the owners wanted to spend and now normal service is about to resume. For a brief heady moment some on this forum got a bit carried away with the result that 8th next season will be seen as some as a disappointment. Still reckon 8th and a genuine attempt at the FAC is our limit and not to be sniffed at.

Spot on? What damage are the so called "clappers" doing?

Well not in our case but i believe the lot down the road are as good an example of any of what happens if you bury your head in the sand and say everything is going to be ok, don't question anything and believe that we can achieve more than is realistic.

Questioning is still supporting, especially when you get your arses to games most weeks (home and away).

Well not in our case but i believe the lot down the road are as good an example of any of what happens if you bury your head in the sand and say everything is going to be ok, don't question anything and believe that we can achieve more than is realistic.

Questioning is still supporting, especially when you get your arses to games most weeks (home and away).

Exactly this. A supporter wants what is best for the club and when things are said that seem improbable it's only right to question then. Blindly believing everything you are told, regardless of how unlikely it may seem, not questioning it, shouting down, aggresion and accusing anyone who does and accuse them of agendas are not the actions of supporters, more like extremists.

Denying themselves the truth for one and labelling others constantly, the others have a pretty good case to be concerned but the happier ones dont want to see it.

The miserableists can only present truth on what has passed before...there are no variables...that's history. The trouble is their thinking is rooted in the past and although they will tell you as they have computed all the variables as they are today...the answer is always the same. Conjecture can never be truth...however you dress it up the truth is based on an infinite number of variables. Only when all the variables have been played out over the period of the season can the truth be written. If you think different, then you are supremely arrogant...as you no doubt think you have all the answers.

Dress conjecture as truth and you rob everyone of hope/optimism/enjoyment...something to look forward to at the start of every season. I'm an optimist ("Happy Clappy") and proud of it...I will turn up to support my team just as I have for the last 60+ years and hope for better for the new season.

Exactly this. A supporter wants what is best for the club and when things are said that seem improbable it's only right to question then. Blindly believing everything you are told, regardless of how unlikely it may seem, not questioning it, shouting down, aggresion and accusing anyone who does and accuse them of agendas are not the actions of supporters, more like extremists.

Anybody remember the dream team revolution of Ball and Mac? The Lowe era, new dawns are usually a **** mornings weather, this is Southampton, no other club in football history other than Blackburn (Walker pumped millions into them more than the Liebherrs even accounting for inflation) has tried to get into and stay there, the only way we could is by being bankrolled, the hockey player has said that will not happen so we have to be honest, top 10 and full tilt at the Cups is as good as its going to get.

Other than that its delusion and a load of crap, sorry it really is, maybe our fans dont get out much and actually see the size of clubs we are up against, I know as I live near 4 large sides, two of them dwarf ours and you can not compare, one of them is an awful lot larger than us and the other one is being bankrolled by some of the richest men on the planet and have always been a large club with a large following, we need to get real.

The miserableists can only present truth on what has passed before...there are no variables...that's history. The trouble is their thinking is rooted in the past and although they will tell you as they have computed all the variables as they are today...the answer is always the same. Conjecture can never be truth...however you dress it up the truth is based on an infinite number of variables. Only when all the variables have been played out over the period of the season can the truth be written. If you think different, then you are supremely arrogant...as you no doubt think you have all the answers.

Dress conjecture as truth and you rob everyone of hope/optimism/enjoyment...something to look forward to at the start of every season. I'm an optimist ("Happy Clappy") and proud of it...I will turn up to support my team just as I have for the last 60+ years and hope for better for the new season.

That was two paragraphs of nothing, supporting a team has nothing to do with being a part of reality and knowing the size of the club and what they can realistically achieve.

I apologise for using the word "clappers" - it was childish but there is a danger sometimes of having our hopes raised by over optimism. I think if Cortese had been given a free rein for another two years and had flashed the cash as liberally as he had up to now then just perhaps we could have pushed on for 4th, but I reckon he was living a lie as far as how much the owners wanted to spend and now normal service is about to resume. For a brief heady moment some on this forum got a bit carried away with the result that 8th next season will be seen as some as a disappointment. Still reckon 8th and a genuine attempt at the FAC is our limit and not to be sniffed at.

The highlighted bit is pure supposition on your part. Cortese might have overspent beyond his brief on the day to day running of the club, but I find it hard to believe that he had carte blanche to send millions on players of his choosing without redress to Katharina. Whether the plan is to invest in the additional experienced players required to take us up a place or two next season or not, we will have to wait and see. As yet, there is little to suggest that we will return to what you describe as normal service, presumably the financial struggles that we used to endure before the arrival of the Liebherrs.

Personally I will be disappointed if we are unable to move up a couple of places next season, especially if we keep the team more or less intact and relatively injury free. Excuse me for being an optimist and harming the club in the process.

I wish Cortese were still at the club.

The bloke had balls, and a clear sense of direction that the fans could see unlike with this invisible lot.

He made us believe for a few short years (including before MoPo turned up, despite what the clappers-cum-revisionists might allude to) that we are more than the mediocre sh*tty provincial club - that occasionally turns up a gem of a player who is rapidly snapped up by one of the big 6 - that we truly are. A belief that for me is rapidly evaporating due to the supine bunch we seem to have running the show now.

I personally expect them to stand by as the likes of Manyoo thoroughly eviscerate our squad over the summer...

Barry, what do you think your club (portsmuff) can realistically achieve?...serious question.

They are not my club but I hope they stay down there and even get relegated out of the football League, I dont want them to go out of business I simply want to laugh at them, much like your poor patter lad.

The bloke had balls, and a clear sense of direction that the fans could see unlike with this invisible lot.

He made us believe for a few short years (including before MoPo turned up, despite what the clappers-cum-revisionists might allude to) that we are more than the mediocre sh*tty provincial club - that occasionally turns up a gem of a player who is rapidly snapped up by one of the big 6 - that we truly are. A belief that for me is rapidly evaporating due to the supine bunch we seem to have running the show now.

I personally expect them to stand by as the likes of Manyoo thoroughly eviscerate our squad over the summer...

Christ I never even had that faith when lego head was here, we are what we are, no small club has ever reached and stayed in the higher echelons of football, the waiting list is long and clubs like Newcastle, Leeds, Villa, Everton and possibly Sheffield Wednesday pose far better returns for large investment than we do.

We are a great family club on the South Coast, I hate that lazy tired saying but we are that, I would love a billionaire prepared to spend it on the squad but it simply aint going to happen.

In fairness I don't think anyone really believes we could reach or stay in the upper echelons, only that we might be able to capitalise on the very good hand we've been dealt and mix it with the bigger clubs for a season or two. There are a few outliers but on the whole most people think we have a shot at reaching the top six - short term - if all goes well. The Champions League/how can we win the title stuff is mostly motivational gubbins.

The point about Pompey's overreaching is worth mentioning, but it doesn't really apply to us as we're not going for success at all costs. Perhaps financial sustainability makes it less likely we'll get up there, but it rules out the danger in trying.

Krueger has been chairman for a month and a half. Have some patience! They've signalled that they want to communicate with the fanbase more openly than the Cortese regime, so let's give them a chance to do that. It's not like Cortese's lot put out press releases every week detailing what was going on at the club. We'll have a much clearer picture by June/July.

Edited by DuncanRG

That was two paragraphs of nothing, supporting a team has nothing to do with being a part of reality and knowing the size of the club and what they can realistically achieve.

Wait, so which saints are you supporting? They seem pretty real to me at least. :mcinnes:

I'd like to hear some statement outlining our future direction before season tickets go on sale , who sells/buys something without knowing what the product is actually going to be?

Has that not been done already in various statements since the new board has been in control. Steady as she goes, no-one out that Mauricio wants to keep, doing the utmost to keep the manager etc etc etc. Sounds like the board are talking to deaf ears actually.. Then again there have been few visible actions so far.

This time last year you were so convinced by the Cortese era you were confidently stating we would be relegated, and the only balls you were admiring belonged to Wigan who had the guts and determination to stay up that we didn't.

And you've moaned your arse off about some of the transfers Cortese sanctioned, and a lot of the spending/non spending. And moaned about our slow pace in every single transfer window in the Cortese era.

Oh yeah, you absolutely loved the Cortese era.

Edited by CB Fry

In fairness I don't think anyone really believes we could reach or stay in the upper echelons, only that we might be able to capitalise on the very good hand we've been dealt and mix it with the bigger clubs for a season or two. There are a few outliers but on the whole most people think we have a shot at reaching the top six - short term - if all goes well. The Champions League/how can we win the title stuff is mostly motivational gubbins.

The point about Pompey's overreaching is worth mentioning, but it doesn't really apply to us as we're not going for success at all costs. Perhaps financial sustainability makes it less likely we'll get up there, but it rules out the danger in trying.

Krueger has been chairman for a month and a half. Have some patience! They've signalled that they want to communicate with the fanbase more openly than the Cortese regime, so let's give them a chance to do that. It's not like Cortese's lot put out press releases every week detailing what was going on at the club. We'll have a much clearer picture by June/July.

The point to remember about Pompey "OVEREACHED" with Money that they DID NO HAVE

Whatever we have done (to date) HAS been funded by the Leibherrs

BIG Difference

Having said that, I don't think Funding to take us on upwards will be forthcoming, and neither will be the expansion of St Mary's

A lot of money ? Yes of course it is ..... but so are the REWARDS. Unfortunately, we can go no further with a stadium limited to 32500

O for Bon Jovi to bring in the £millions

Apology accepted if you accept my apology re you being pathetic.:D

Referee Clattenberg stated you and Adam Lallana had changed since you became famous.:p

Will speak to Uncle Ralph regarding a shelf in his office...A couple of your books will come in handy as book ends;)

Beware of getting into bed with those norty boyz on this forum...........I am reliably informed they wear NO jammies.:rolleyes:

Sorreeee I called your new friend Barry Sanchez an idiot:blush:

Very sorreee Mr Sanchez.......I know I should not get frustrated and call peeps like you..uncalled for names:mcinnes:

Apparently some of you do it all day and every day...but there you go:uhoh:

Anyway..FF..........FFS man up and get back on the bus.:):)

Bazza....PUP:p

SIGNED....Your favourite..HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY CLAPPER

Edited by ottery st mary

This time last year you were so convinced by the Cortese era you were confidently stating we would be relegated, and the only balls you were admiring belonged to Wigan who had the guts and determination to stay up that we didn't.

And you've moaned your arse off about some of the transfers Cortese sanctioned, and a lot of the spending/non spending. And moaned about our slow pace in every single transfer window in the Cortese era.

Oh yeah, you absolutely loved the Cortese era.

Firstly, I dont recall moaning about Cortese that much.

Yes, some of his transfers were w*nk. But least he had a vision, and drive. He was trying to make us better. I certainly didnt go off on one like some of the hysterical fish wives about car parking costs, etc.

And I was bigging him up for playing two pre-season friendlies in my home town.

At the end of the day though, I suppose I have to refer to the old saying "you dont know what you've got 'till its gone"

The highlighted bit is pure supposition on your part. Cortese might have overspent beyond his brief on the day to day running of the club, but I find it hard to believe that he had carte blanche to send millions on players of his choosing without redress to Katharina. Whether the plan is to invest in the additional experienced players required to take us up a place or two next season or not, we will have to wait and see. As yet, there is little to suggest that we will return to what you describe as normal service, presumably the financial struggles that we used to endure before the arrival of the Liebherrs.

Personally I will be disappointed if we are unable to move up a couple of places next season, especially if we keep the team more or less intact and relatively injury free. Excuse me for being an optimist and harming the club in the process.

Wes Tender, you are perfectly entitled to optimism and the club won't be harmed one iota. My fear surrounds creating false levels of expectation which when not achieved can lead to disillusionment and apathy. It will be interesting to see how we all feel in 12 months. We have had 5 damn good years (helped by spending not a little cash), but now we have hit the glass ceiling, imo anyway, let's see if the optimism continues.

I have to say I am bloody glad he has gone and I would rather have this present board who seem pragmatic and considerate of our aspirations and past. The ride won't be so exciting of course but it will be a lot less antagonistic.

Apology accepted if you accept my apology re you being pathetic.:D

Referee Clattenberg stated you and Adam Lallana had changed since you became famous.:p

Will speak to Uncle Ralph regarding a shelf in his office...A couple of your books will come in handy as book ends;)

Beware of getting into bed with those norty boyz on this forum...........I am reliably informed they wear NO jammies.:rolleyes:

Sorreeee I called your new friend Barry Sanchez an idiot:blush:

Very sorreee Mr Sanchez.......I know I should not get frustrated and call peeps like you..uncalled for names:mcinnes:

Apparently some of you do it all day and every day...but there you go:uhoh:

Anyway..FF..........FFS man up and get back on the bus.:):)

Bazza....PUP:p

SIGNED....Your favourite..HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY CLAPPER

Ottery - you crack me up, you really do. And I am not just saying that.

Firstly, I dont recall moaning about Cortese that much.

Yes, some of his transfers were w*nk. But least he had a vision, and drive. He was trying to make us better. I certainly didnt go off on one like some of the hysterical fish wives about car parking costs, etc.

And I was bigging him up for playing two pre-season friendlies in my home town.

At the end of the day though, I suppose I have to refer to the old saying "you dont know what you've got 'till its gone"

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?45266-SFC-still-run-like-a-crappy-seaside-B-amp-B

"Sorry, held off as long as I could, but my natural impatience is getting the better of me...

SFC is supposed to be a year-long professionally-run operation in one of the most celebrated and quality leagues of the best-likes spectator sport in the world. But come June, almost f**k-all is going on.

We have no date for the kit release, though I am guessing the club has been negotiating with Addidas for f**king months. I remember even when we were back at the Dell a couple of times the next seasons kit was paraded round the field in the last couple of home games, and the likes of Chelsea and Manyoo can give previews at the beginning of the summer.

We have no indicators of in-bound transfer activity, though we managed the time to tell 8 players "thanks but f**k off"

Oh, we did manage to set the ST price, but then thats money....

Does every manager in every department just p*ss off for a month after the last game, like a crappy B&B shutting down for the winter ? IMO, the summer is the busiest time for some of the people at the club."

Still suggest anyone down about the future just go and watch the academy teams. A sale or two doesn't destroy us, and it'd be for big, big money, IF it happens.

Depends what you want from a football club. I don't want endless change in the squad, countless signings each window. The same old people want it and never learn from the mistakes of our clubs or others. Bewildering really for grown men.

A couple of good additions each year combined with another couple of youngsters coming through is the best way to run things. We won't overstretch financially, hopefully we won't waste money, we'll be able to invest in infrastructure and actually become a bigger club, and cement our reputation as a great academy club. We may get higher up the table we may not, but surely it's better than just spending every year moaning until we spend big, then moan about the signings and constantly berate any expensive foreigners that don't run around the pitch like David Prutton every match?

Code for now being far more pragmatic like other clubs of our ilk.

Still suggest anyone down about the future just go and watch the academy teams. A sale or two doesn't destroy us, and it'd be for big, big money, IF it happens.

Depends what you want from a football club. I don't want endless change in the squad, countless signings each window. The same old people want it and never learn from the mistakes of our clubs or others. Bewildering really for grown men.

A couple of good additions each year combined with another couple of youngsters coming through is the best way to run things. We won't overstretch financially, hopefully we won't waste money, we'll be able to invest in infrastructure and actually become a bigger club, and cement our reputation as a great academy club. We may get higher up the table we may not, but surely it's better than just spending every year moaning until we spend big, then moan about the signings and constantly berate any expensive foreigners that don't run around the pitch like David Prutton every match?

Good post.

Signed.

Code for now being far more pragmatic like other clubs of our ilk.

"Ilk", said with such disdain. Your inner skate wumming its way out perhaps?

In all serious however,

Adrian's comment makes complete sense and was the core of any plan for saints all along, I don't recall us ever not putting the academy at the heart of our long term strategy.

We seem to be producing an oxlade, shaw, walcott, bale, lallana etc every 2 years or so, plus players like JWP, Chambers, Reed, Oakley, Baird, dyer, best etc etc etc... Couple of them every year and a top player on top and the club will be fine regardless tbh.

Stadium debt is cleared and the only trouble we can get ourselves into is self made now.

Young players, cheap wages, and massive sell on potential. Jobdone.

Consolidate and push onwards and upwards.

I would be happy with that and something that would separate us from the rest of the PL teams with having a core being brought through the ranks and generally being able to delivery more to the team because of it rather than buying replacements and 'gelling' all the time.

"Ilk", said with such disdain. Your inner skate wumming its way out perhaps?

In all serious however,

Adrian's comment makes complete sense and was the core of any plan for saints all along, I don't recall us ever not putting the academy at the heart of our long term strategy.

We seem to be producing an oxlade, shaw, walcott, bale, lallana etc every 2 years or so, plus players like JWP, Chambers, Reed, Oakley, Baird, dyer, best etc etc etc... Couple of them every year and a top player on top and the club will be fine regardless tbh.

Stadium debt is cleared and the only trouble we can get ourselves into is self made now.

Young players, cheap wages, and massive sell on potential. Jobdone.

Consolidate and push onwards and upwards.

You mentioning those players clearly shows your age we have always done the academy route in the modern era solely because of our size, others do the same as well you know?

The academy is something to be proud of but I get no pleasure when I see the likes of Bale stuffing a last minute goal in against us as he did at WHL last season. The secret is not only producing the players like Bale it's holding onto them long enough for them to give something tangible to us - like 4th spot or dare I even say it, the FA Cup.

The academy is something to be proud of but I get no pleasure when I see the likes of Bale stuffing a last minute goal in against us as he did at WHL last season. The secret is not only producing the players like Bale it's holding onto them long enough for them to give something tangible to us - like 4th spot or dare I even say it, the FA Cup.

That will again prove futile, chicken and egg, until we win things we can not promise European football and more success, the only way to start the process is to pay extreme wages to get the ball rolling, that wont happen so it wont happen with the retaining of players.

Ottery - you crack me up, you really do. And I am not just saying that.

You stay on the medication:D

Continue your 60 years of top class Saints support:D

But do not let those few norty boyz with their mind control games get to you.;)

OR

You will be off down Fratton helping Johnny boyz to ring his blooooody bell:mcinnes:

I know how much you luv the mighty Saints:)

AND

How you are one of the biggest happy clappers around..

KL loves you as well as me....More pocket money for the summer budget..

With Nick Knowles and his team coming along to St Marys to slightly raise the glass ceiling.:)

Kept this post on track ....just:rolleyes:

Haha amazing.

"Falling over the start line" another pearler there. I swear this was like a day or so before we signed Lovren?

Does look like we are falling over the finish line a bit though.

Thing is, we'll have another thread almost exactly the same this year. He never learns.

*LIKE*

Excellent post.

Haha amazing.

"Falling over the start line" another pearler there. I swear this was like a day or so before we signed Lovren?

Does look like we are falling over the finish line a bit though.

Thing is, we'll have another thread almost exactly the same this year. He never learns.

At least he has shut up now.