"Glass ceiling and summer budget"

Fitzhugh Fella

I don't see any reason why we can't compete with the likes of Everton and Spurs personally. They both edge us in terms of gate revenue and merchandising sales but don't have significantly higher budgets.

Our problem comes from a lack of depth and unfortunate injuries to Lovren, Boruc and the ineptitude of our record signing. If £15m had been better spent than that waste of space we'd be right up there with Everton, Spurs and even Arsenal this season. Wanyama and Gaston have been disappointments too.

If we can find another JRod and Lovren at similar prices, we can improve next season.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

Spurs will always have a far far larger budget than us simply bcause they like Everton are a far far larger club, Everton may not have the money they do but they have more than us in terms of spending and a player if offered the same would rather go there 99/100.

Echo article gives you the answer as opposed to ?

Poch states..... We are working as we always do..in the organisation of next season:)

The reason he states We...:)

IS that he is part of the ongoing.....in the organisation etc.

He not only puts to the table his requirements for possible player purchases..

He also evaluates the ongoing progress of youth players for the step up and squad player/youth

already in or on the fringe of first team.

So I for one believe that facts and figures are not finalised and that in the organisation talked of...he will have a fair idea..

The sky will never be the limit at a club like Saints.....mind you for the benefit of some:p we can dream:D

So to attack the club/management or imply Poch does not know what is going on or what the amounts he has available:):)

Have faith and see what the Echo article is all about:mcinnes:

Seemed like the standard vague, non committal answer Poch gives everyone when asked about the future (I don't know I have not discussed this topic with the board, we are solely concentrated on finishing the season as strongly as possible etc etc.)

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

Spurs will always have a far far larger budget than us simply bcause they like Everton are a far far larger club, Everton may not have the money they do but they have more than us in terms of spending and a player if offered the same would rather go there 99/100.

WTF are you on about?

As for Spurs, their net spend over the last 5 years is about £9m according to that link.

Everton have more money than us? They do, their wage bill is higher and if needed they will spend.

Ah the old net spend smokescreen, if we sell all our haighly valued players this year for good money do you honestly think we shall spend £ for £ in replacing them? If so why sell them? They sold Bale and Modric for big money and then spent on various ****e payers (not the point at all on whether they have been good or bad).

To be fair....to all the experts on this forum;)

I get more than my fair share of comments on our Saints players...sooooo wrong:rolleyes:

I did state that Osvaldo and Ramirez would be great stars in the mighty Saints side.

Still hoping but the light is fading:mcinnes:

So I for one hope we get a few more players like Lovren , Boruc , Davis , Jay Rod.Wanyama etc

Yes I do think Wanyama is a great young player.....but for his and Borucs injuries... we would be at least 10/12 points better off.

Anyway ...over to you Poch.:D

I don't see any reason why we can't compete with the likes of Everton and Spurs personally. They both edge us in terms of gate revenue and merchandising sales but don't have significantly higher budgets.

Our problem comes from a lack of depth and unfortunate injuries to Lovren, Boruc and the ineptitude of our record signing. If £15m had been better spent than that waste of space we'd be right up there with Everton, Spurs and even Arsenal this season. Wanyama and Gaston have been disappointments too.

If we can find another JRod and Lovren at similar prices, we can improve next season.

Absolutely.. just hope the new regime understand the need for continuous investment to achieve our goals.. another 2/3 quality additions and we will better 8th position next year IMO..

It seems the manager has not been told yet what sort of summer budget he can expect. I find that a little odd myself. And have we as the article hints at - "hit our glass ceiling"? To push on from this excellent season is going to take a hefty outlay, so have we peaked? So many questions and an interesting summer awaits.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11158610.Poch__I_don_t_know_a_budget_for_next_season/?ref=var_0

Never mind about Trivia like whether Katharina is going to continue to Spend Big and watch us continue to Grow .......

........ Just rush down and Renew your ST immediately ( or by 30th May )

Anyone beginning to smell what's going to happen VERY shortly ???

Never mind about Trivia like whether Katharina is going to continue to Spend Big and watch us continue to Grow .......

1) Sell the club to the highest bidder.

2) As above

I'll be renewing anyway.

I support the Saints.

Whoever is wearing the shirt and leading the team out.

It's going to be interesting but I'm sure that some key facts will play a big part:

This management team inherited a transfer deficit that they made quite a big deal about. We don't know whether they did that to discredit Cortese or dampen fan expectations for the Summer. Probably both.

Our success rate in bringing Academy players into the first team (and keeping them there because they're doing well) is far, far better than our track record for doing the same thing with high-price stars (who have largely fallen way below expectations and probably lost value).

Hardworking players have fitted much better into Pochettino's system than high skill/lower-energy/often-fragile stars who usually cost a lot of money.

The club has expressed its commitment to financial sustainability time and again.

Ralph Krueger comes from a sport in which players are not sold to other clubs for cash; they are traded for comparable player value.

Looking at all of that, I suspect that there will be a modest transfer budget and, while Pochettino "won't be forced to sell any players he doesn't want to sell", he'll have to sell someone (most likely Luke) if he wants a larger transfer budget.

The big question for me is not how big the transfer budget is, but whether that will be acceptable to Pochettino.

Believing in the cruxifiction and Father Christmas is a more realistic propostion than the Champions League number.

Please feel free to join Christian forums and argue your case. Or pop down to the local nursery school and trample some of their dreams.

I'm happy enough with 8th and realistic enough to realise that it might be as good as it gets. But sometimes I think how much better things could be with a bit of investment. Whats so bad about dreaming of success?

There is nothing wrong with it, its the expectant nature of the newer fan who actually thinks it will become a reality that annoys the ****e out of me, dont they know how big and how much money the other clubs have?

I'm happy enough with 8th and realistic enough to realise that it might be as good as it gets. But sometimes I think how much better things could be with a bit of investment. Whats so bad about dreaming of success?

I don't think you can fault the investment in recent years, trouble is we've got so much of it so very wrong. We've basically wasted 40 million £ if not more. There is no way you should have spent 65 million £ and have 3/4 first team regulars to show for it. Whoever is or has been responsable for some of the crass purchases needs to be sent packing if they haven't already before they can do any more damage.

I don't think you can fault the investment in recent years, trouble is we've got so much of it so very wrong. We've basically wasted 40 million £ if not more. There is no way you should have spent 65 million £ and have 3/4 first team regulars to show for it. Whoever is or has been responsable for some of the crass purchases needs to be sent packing if they haven't already before they can do any more damage.

Cortese has already gone, Les "Charlton"Reed has to stand up and take some flak for this as well.

Guly

Osvaldo

Ramirez

All bought from Italy and all ****, coincidence?

Cortese has already gone, Les "Charlton"Reed has to stand up and take some flak for this as well.

Guly

Osvaldo

Ramirez

All bought from Italy and all ****, coincidence?

Barry, we've been through this. Guly was bought for a good price when we needed him, and served us well. I know it's hard for you to comprehend, but we have improved as a team and he is now out of his depth in this league - we all agree on this, but to suggest that he always was and always will be useless is harsh.

Ramirez is clearly not sh*t. I believe it was you speaking of Goatboy's "agenda" earlier? How do you spell hypocrite again?

Don't agree with the glass ceiling. If we keep out squad we improve, they're all improving with age and experience together. Add a striker and CB and things are much better. We've let loads of points slip this season. People always look at it in terms of 'who can we finish above' but you never know which clubs will mess things up. Just have to focus on your own game like Everton and keep pushing. I doubt Liverpool thought they could win the league but as you get closer and start to believe things become more possible. We may be some way behind that but I don't see why we couldn't improve enough to do what Everton are doing.

I agree entirely. How many Everton fans last year were saying they've hit the glass ceiling and they'll never finish anywhere near Man U, let alone above them?

With our squad we really struggled in the middle of the season when we had a few injurys but interestingly we had one of lowest percentages of injuries this season

http://injuryleague.com/2014/04/percentage-of-the-season-missed-by-southampton-players-through-injury/

If we had Arsenals injury % dread to think were we would have been with our squad

There is a reason we spend a lot of money on Sports Science and that table reflects it to be fair.

Barry is here to sh*t on people's dreams. It's a public service, very selfless really.

He's only on here because on POL they live in the 1940s and they have no dreams to destroy. Sad pair our resident skates - Barry and Glasgow. Used to like it on S4E when Keith awarded the lurking Pompey fans fish. Maybe Steve should do that as well to them?

Ralph Krueger comes from a sport in which players are not sold to other clubs for cash; they are traded for players of comparable value.

That's interesting. Maybe explains why he finds it odd to owe other clubs £27m, or whatever it was. He'll learn!

With our squad we really struggled in the middle of the season when we had a few injurys but interestingly we had one of lowest percentages of injuries this season

http://injuryleague.com/2014/04/percentage-of-the-season-missed-by-southampton-players-through-injury/

If we had Arsenals injury % dread to think were we would have been with our squad

There is something odd down Arsenal way, they have a history of many injuries or players with multiple injuries in a season. From what I understand they put a huge amount into sports science but are lead by the figures rather than use them as a guide with other information.

I agree entirely. How many Everton fans last year were saying they've hit the glass ceiling and they'll never finish anywhere near Man U, let alone above them?

Everton are one the few clubs that dont really have a glass ceiling, Everton have finished above United many times before.

Nowt Tony, absolutely nothing wrong in Dreaming a little. Just because about 6 loud voiced posters + their little hypo gimp say it's unrealistic and thus you will be left disappointed and only have yourself to blame, does not make dreams as less valid. Dreams, false hopes/dawns, diss ointment and failure to reach expectations set too high in the first place, have been what's kept fans paying since the start of football... Part of fan culture (that Turks us always on about), and can't be eroded no matter how much WUM rhetoric is spouted.

But a final question to all the 'pragmatists/realists/miserable feckers'; if the media (Lying scumbag Journos - that one is So funny...) are to believed, about 6or 7 of our players have been linked to Champions league clubs... So if those clubs think they are good enough or have the potential to be, is it not reasonable to assume that if we can keep them together for a couple more seasons(yes we know, some will always go eventually) that as a first team at least we have the makings of a very good side, that could at least bloody a few noses in an attempt?... Sure we will not have the kind of cash to ensure we have a depth do squad to guarrantee a top 6 let alone a top 4 every year, but the odd season where things go right, injuries low and and extra few coming through and it's NOT impossible to go from a good season to great one. Always, key is not letting talent leave at 16-18, but hold onto it until it's 21-23. We do that and even without huge spending a Great Season, is possible, no matter what the odds.

Nowt Tony, absolutely nothing wrong in Dreaming a little. Just because about 6 loud voiced posters + their little hypo gimp say it's unrealistic and thus you will be left disappointed and only have yourself to blame, does not make dreams as less valid. Dreams, false hopes/dawns, diss ointment and failure to reach expectations set too high in the first place, have been what's kept fans paying since the start of football... Part of fan culture (that Turks us always on about), and can't be eroded no matter how much WUM rhetoric is spouted.

But a final question to all the 'pragmatists/realists/miserable feckers'; if the media (Lying scumbag Journos - that one is So funny...) are to believed, about 6or 7 of our players have been linked to Champions league clubs... So if those clubs think they are good enough or have the potential to be, is it not reasonable to assume that if we can keep them together for a couple more seasons(yes we know, some will always go eventually) that as a first team at least we have the makings of a very good side, that could at least bloody a few noses in an attempt?... Sure we will not have the kind of cash to ensure we have a depth do squad to guarrantee a top 6 let alone a top 4 every year, but the odd season where things go right, injuries low and and extra few coming through and it's NOT impossible to go from a good season to great one. Always, key is not letting talent leave at 16-18, but hold onto it until it's 21-23. We do that and even without huge spending a Great Season, is possible, no matter what the odds.

As usual, an interminable ramble missing the point and arguing against things people haven't said anyway. Well done.

Of course if everything fell our way, no players left and we unearthed two more gems then we might finish sixth or even fourth, one season, once. But is is spectacularly unlikely.

What is tiresome on this forum are the petulant demands for "investment" and countless club statements backing this up; the childish grizzles that link any player leaving being an outrage; and the supreme arrogance that finishing eighth in the Premier League is now somehow beneath us, or boring or not worth dreaming about.

The sneering dismissal of eighth place league finishes (achieved all of once in our last twenty odd seasons) by the likes of you is frankly not the wide - eyed innocent dreaming you are making it out to be. That attitude, and the toddler - tantrums that will greet the opening of the transfer window, represents most that is wrong with the Sky Sports era dinlow football fan.

I hope to Saints fly again next season. Brilliant young players, a couple of decent additions, and, yes, a departure or two we may need to weather. But we are set fair to have another excellent season - 8th again would be brilliant - and try and get to Wembley too. That's optimism. Try it sometime.

I take it these ceilings are permanent and immovable, then. Where was ours when we finished second?

The days of a club like Southampton finishing second are, sadly, gone. 8th is very good. Maybe 6th at a squeeze but top four it just won't happen without investment over and above what has already been delivered. A sad fact of life that while foreign governments and dodgy oligarchs continue to own our football clubs the playing fields have never been so unlevel.