Adam Lallana - Medical at Liverpool

Dr Who?

Cynical attitude, not to mention unnecessarily abusive. Obviously money is a factor, but it is not the only factor. LS has left for more money AND to play for one of the biggest clubs on the planet. I doubt anyone expects them to be absent from CL football for long.. Lallana also wants to play at the highest level he can, and at 26 he has to strike while the irons hot. I don't believe Gareth Bale went to RM just for the money.

I am just as irritated as the next bloke by players on long contracts wanting to just tear them up and leave, but sometimes the deal is a no-brainier for both parities. The LS deal is definitely in that category. The Lallana deal is also - it's only tainted by the Bournemouth factor.

Not cynical, realistic. Not abusive, simply dismissive - I no longer care about his performances other than he fails as I hope of every other player not wearing a Saints shirt.

His loyalty is to himself and his family and whoever he currently plays for and I have utterly no problem with this - the point is I no longer have any support/loyalty/feelings for him or any other player who leaves for a competitor - whoever they are - my loyalty is towards SFC

...leaving aside the complete lack of belief AL/LS/RL have in the capabilities of SFC progressing further than they already have and that really p|sses me off!

Not cynical, realistic. Not abusive, simply dismissive - I no longer care about his performances other than he fails as I hope of every other player not wearing a Saints shirt.

His loyalty is to himself and his family and whoever he currently plays for and I have utterly no problem with this - the point is I no longer have any support/loyalty/feelings for him or any other player who leaves for a competitor - whoever they are - my loyalty is towards SFC

...leaving aside the complete lack of belief AL/LS/RL have in the capabilities of SFC progressing further than they already have and that really p|sses me off!

THIS.

Not that he should feel held hostage by the fact but him leaving knowing it could spark 2/3 more players to leave and cripple saints team (whilst being the captain) and his only concern? getting 100k+ or more a week.

Yeah, like this post.

F**k him. I think he will fail on the bigger stages anyway. He was pants in Brazil.

THIS.

Not that he should feel held hostage by the fact but him leaving knowing it could spark 2/3 more players to leave and cripple saints team (whilst being the captain) and his only concern? getting 100k+ or more a week.

But you me and every other poster would do the same

But you me and every other poster would do the same

I could already earn more money doing a job i like less than the one I do and if i was a footballer for saints? i wouldn't leave, flashy cars and 10k watches arent my thing. Reckon i could just about get by on 45k aweek though.

Still a little baffled as to why he's a ****? Good player, gave us seasons of success and quality, stayed with us in divisions he was never really supposed to be in. He now has probably his one and only chance of a big career move, and it doesn't always occur for every player.

He deserves his crack and I think he at least deserve a little respect and gratitude from us, him and Lambert have almost single handily got us where we are right now!

You miss the point - why does he 'deserve' anything?

He's left us to develop his own (selfish) ends. Don't blame him tbh, just don't see the point in offering any support to him any longer.

He's no longer one of 'us' and he only got gratitude whilst he was - now he's just a "self-seeking money grabber" - aren't fans so fickle (much like the players, so well matched)

Still a little baffled as to why he's a ****? Good player, gave us seasons of success and quality, stayed with us in divisions he was never really supposed to be in. He now has probably his one and only chance of a big career move, and it doesn't always occur for every player.

He deserves his crack and I think he at least deserve a little respect and gratitude from us, him and Lambert have almost single handily got us where we are right now!

For me, it's a combination of two things.

1) signing the 5 year deal, and making such bold and committed statements. It was basically all bullsh*t

2) leaking that he wanted to leave to the press, but not admitting it himself. Again, more bullsh*t, and cowardly. He was desperate for this "big chance" but didn't have the guts or integrity to make a public statement to that effect or to put in a transfer request.

I guess because the majority of saints fans held him in such high esteem, to see this has shattered our perception of him.

I guess it would be a bit like hearing MLT say "I always fukin hated it at saints, **** club, **** fans, wish I could have played for a bigger club for more cash".

********, while we're not being shafted financially it's hardly stupid money, this isn't really beneficial to us in any way no matter how many times you say it is.

£30m for LS *is* stupid money. We can replace him with a decent LB and still have plenty left to reinvest. The Lallana money is also way OTT. He can also be replaced - if you accept that the player will not be English. We will just have to wait and see who we bring in. Personally I am not bothered by any of the departures individually. The only concern I have is that they may all be at the same time.

I could already earn more money doing a job i like less than the one I do and if i was a footballer for saints? i wouldn't leave, flashy cars and 10k watches arent my thing. Reckon i could just about get by on 45k aweek though.

In this hypothetical world would you be a "CL quality" player or a "barely good enough for the EPL" type of player?

Exactly, could say that about AL as well. Le Tiss didn't stay of his own accord, let's not forget he put pen to paper for another team. Something as real saints fans we would never do. Always fans over players. Players just care about themselves, fans care about that club. That extends to club legends as well.

Exactly, could say that about AL as well. Le Tiss didn't stay of his own accord, let's not forget he put pen to paper for another team. Something as real saints fans we would never do. Always fans over players. Players just care about themselves, fans care about that club. That extends to club legends as well.

If someone offered me 100k a week to support Liverpool, I'm pretty sure I'd accept. I think you would too.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't change jobs to better themselves. One of my relatives is moaning like hell about disloyalty but he constantly asks on Facebook if there are any sales jobs going with better pay and hours as he thinks he is worth more. The situation has arisen for these players and it would be wrong to deny them the chance of a lifetime, our good season coupled with their WC selection cements their value and that includes Morgan and Dejan, we are victims of our own success.

At least we have the funds to start again and should stay well clear of the bottom three.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't change jobs to better themselves. One of my relatives is moaning like hell about disloyalty but he constantly asks on Facebook if there are any sales jobs going with better pay and hours as he thinks he is worth more. The situation has arisen for these players and it would be wrong to deny them the chance of a lifetime, our good season coupled with their WC selection cements their value and that includes Morgan and Dejan, we are victims of our own success.

At least we have the funds to start again and should stay well clear of the bottom three.

Seriously, it's comments like this that irritate me the most, small club mentality, chance of a lifetime my arse.

Seriously, it's comments like this that irritate me the most, small club mentality, chance of a lifetime my arse.

You telling me it's not the chance of a lifetime, we may not be a small club but we're certainly not a big one. Get real.

You telling me it's not the chance of a lifetime, we may not be a small club but we're certainly not a big one. Get real.

That's exactly what I'm saying, if we'd deign to keep a player the interest would still be there next window, it's not the chance of a lifetime if it happens every year ffs.

Disappointed to have lost a key player but that's all I feel about this. Not particularly angry at the bloke but not pleased for him either. Met him once and it was a classic case of don't meet your heroes. Asked for a picture with him and he looked at me like I'd asked him to do a lap of the stadium. From that point on still loved watching him play, but never had any attachment to him as a personality, unlike the likes of rickie who I will always wish the best for. Asked him for a picture shortly before and he couldn't have been happier to oblige.

Let's see how he enjoys his home being broken into, trashed. What a great area to bring up and educate a beloved son and take his missus. Gerrard has had his place done in a number of times.

I reckon this going to Liverpool could just be a softener for him joining up with Pochettino at Spuds. This is maybe what's held up the deal being complete. Maybe Spuds have put in an offer, although I can't see them forking out the same salary or getting into the Champions League any sooner than us.

Can believe some of what Im reading. The guy loves Saints, he was almost in tears during the Awards dinner when he admitted he might need to move on.

He has trained for his whole life to be a footballer, so what logic is there in not taking a CLEAR opportunity to further your career and try to be the best you can be? He doesn't owe Saints a thing, and has a superb player for us for a lot longer than your average stay at a club, but he is good enough to acbieve things that Saints cannot.

Disappointed to have lost a key player but that's all I feel about this. Not particularly angry at the bloke but not pleased for him either. Met him once and it was a classic case of don't meet your heroes. Asked for a picture with him and he looked at me like I'd asked him to do a lap of the stadium. From that point on still loved watching him play, but never had any attachment to him as a personality, unlike the likes of rickie who I will always wish the best for. Asked him for a picture shortly before and he couldn't have been happier to oblige.

I only met him once very briefly after league one promotion. Luckily had a better experience, found him chatty and pleasant, bit cocky, but this was before 'the change'.

Ricky on the other hand was much more down to earth, amiable and genuine (this seems to be the consensus from those who've met him.) I dunno, has ricky ever been a twat to anyone? ;)

I am saddened to see some of the comments regarding Adam Lallana. This is a guy who stayed with us when we got relegated from the Championship and has assisted us returning to the Premier just as much as Lambert.

He has accepted wages way below what he might have got had he sought another club in that time. He has now reached 26, is an England International as has had an offer to play for a club who have qualified for Champions league.

He has been loyal for many years. So what that he kissed the badge and said what he said about Southampton in the past. He has exceeded his own expectations both playing at Southampton and being selected for England and now wants to reach for the next level. He cannot get that at Southampton. This is his great opportunity. An opportunity that most of those who are knocking him would take if they had the opportunity.

If the club were so determined to keep him they could have insisted he stuck to his contract but they appear to have accepted this is his great chance and with the right transfer fee have let him move on. Not much different from Lambert in my opinion.

This is all about opportunity in a short career. Accept that and wish him well. Anything less is disingenuous to a long term servant, not a mercenary who came in for a year or so to use us as a stepping stone.

I already said I wish him well and understand his choice but I don't agree with your post.

Adam Lallana had potential, but until the fortunes of the club turned around he looked like the sort of kid that ends up in the lower leagues, with some tricks and nice moves about him but a frustrating lack of end product and composure.

To say he was so loyal when we were relegated is not really true. Had he been offered the same sort of move like the one Surman or Dyer were offered then, he would've gone, if anything to satisfy the club's desperate needs. Except this didn't happen because he wasn't performing as well as the others were.

The club was VERY loyal to him. They stood by him in his condition, in his frustrating break into the first team, in his frustrating times in the starting eleven and as captain, gave him everything he needed to become a club star. He is the example of how a good youth set-up can make players good rather than just by identifying raw talent.

But hey he's seen it all, heard it all about how good it is, so I hope he enjoys himself. Just hope he realises how lucky he was at age 12 when he signed for SFC rather than...well, any other club in the whole of the UK. Hope it doesn't annoy him that his new club doesn't really give a ****e about him other than what he does in 90 minutes.

I am saddened to see some of the comments regarding Adam Lallana. This is a guy who stayed with us when we got relegated from the Championship and has assisted us returning to the Premier just as much as Lambert.

He has accepted wages way below what he might have got had he sought another club in that time. He has now reached 26, is an England International as has had an offer to play for a club who have qualified for Champions league.

He has been loyal for many years. So what that he kissed the badge and said what he said about Southampton in the past. He has exceeded his own expectations both playing at Southampton and being selected for England and now wants to reach for the next level. He cannot get that at Southampton. This is his great opportunity. An opportunity that most of those who are knocking him would take if they had the opportunity.

If the club were so determined to keep him they could have insisted he stuck to his contract but they appear to have accepted this is his great chance and with the right transfer fee have let him move on. Not much different from Lambert in my opinion.

This is all about opportunity in a short career. Accept that and wish him well. Anything less is disingenuous to a long term servant, not a mercenary who came in for a year or so to use us as a stepping stone.

sorry Weston, don't quite agree- input that Adam is any different to most others so perhaps unfair to single him out for abuse, but a couple of comments:

1. He is 26 not 17/18 and so he should perhaps have been a little more careful with comments about this club, given that everybody knows things change quickly in football - such badge kissing and loyalty statements are designed to d

endear players to fans - to 5 mins later see that it it was just like ever other players rubbish from one who has given so much is perhaps even more disappointing

2. The short career thing- sorry we should put this to bed. Even if he only earned 30k a week for 5 years.... That is 7.5 mil - set for life and even if not why should a footballer expect to retire completely at 35 ish - does he suddenly lose the ability to work? Many normal folk need to retrain or change career a number times due to work events beyond their control - without previously having earned multiple millions, so to say its some sort of necessity that they move from 30k to 100k is simply wrong. I am not saying we would not all do it, but the motivation is money and greed, not necessity....

3. Sporting opportunity. Some would argue, myself included that it would better to win one trophy with the team and team mates who are 'yours' and be part of something that has grown and developed, than to join a side that is already there's... To me that is a short cut -understandable yes, normal in the game, yes, but football has more transfers than any other sport because of the money involved in the deals and agent cuts, sign ons etc. it's what has driven the monopoly of the top clubs on success, and goes hand in hand with what the Sky money has delivered.

We have got to the place where most fans now accept this is the natural order of things because they simply can't remember 84 and the missing European competition for several year because of the Heysal ban... And to me that is as depressing an acceptance as you will find in the game - fans no longer dreamers, just 'realists allowed' - realist who know their place and 'understand' players wanting to leave to get success rather than staying and driving success.... Again Adam is just doing what everyone else does, go looking for success elsewhere, but to accept this with good grace is to accept the principle that all is fine with the game and it's competition ideals... It is not

4. Yes it is wrong to suddenly single Adam out, he is after all just doing what anyone else would do- and I appreciate that you know things a little more, and quite rightly are showing loyalty.... Sadly there is none of that left in the game.

Don't blame him for leaving Saints. Feel quite sorry for him, we only gave him a 5 year deal at £45k a week. It's akin to slavery. How on earth can he live on that. We didn't deserve any sort of loyalty or gratitude.

W@nker.

Really 45k, what would we pay him if he could actually shoot or head the ball

It must strike everyone a bit bizarre that all of a sudden all our players want to leave. I think they all bought into the NC plan but when he "departed" they all realised it was not going to happen.

Alpine says it all started going wrong when ML died but I disagree, his passing gave NC a free hand and unchecked his ambitions widened. The only problem was the cash wasn't his and the dream he sold to the players was never authorised by Katharina Liebherr.

It must strike everyone a bit bizarre that all of a sudden all our players want to leave. I think they all bought into the NC plan but when he "departed" they all realised it was not going to happen.

exactly, if we were supposedly to have a 30m war chest if nobody was sold, why then was. NC overspending? We could not have been in financial turmoil. I believe we are being lied to

Alpine says it all started going wrong when ML died but I disagree, his passing gave NC a free hand and unchecked his ambitions widened. The only problem was the cash wasn't his and the dream he sold to the players was never authorised by Katharina Liebherr.

I don't buy into the NC plan, load of mumbo jumbo. It's just that they've all had a good season, and see the opportunity of striking while the iron's hot.

The main reason they all want to leave is the fact that some huge clubs want individual players.

Lallana isn't agitating for a move to West Brom. Lovren won't go on strike to force through a move to Swansea.

It's entirely a result of having four or five players that are probably good enough to play in a top 4 squad.

Pretending it is all some disillusionment with our "plan" is just nonsense.

sorry Weston, don't quite agree- input that Adam is any different to most others so perhaps unfair to single him out for abuse, but a couple of comments:

1. He is 26 not 17/18 and so he should perhaps have been a little more careful with comments about this club, given that everybody knows things change quickly in football - such badge kissing and loyalty statements are designed to d

endear players to fans - to 5 mins later see that it it was just like ever other players rubbish from one who has given so much is perhaps even more disappointing

2. The short career thing- sorry we should put this to bed. Even if he only earned 30k a week for 5 years.... That is 7.5 mil - set for life and even if not why should a footballer expect to retire completely at 35 ish - does he suddenly lose the ability to work? Many normal folk need to retrain or change career a number times due to work events beyond their control - without previously having earned multiple millions, so to say its some sort of necessity that they move from 30k to 100k is simply wrong. I am not saying we would not all do it, but the motivation is money and greed, not necessity....

3. Sporting opportunity. Some would argue, myself included that it would better to win one trophy with the team and team mates who are 'yours' and be part of something that has grown and developed, than to join a side that is already there's... To me that is a short cut -understandable yes, normal in the game, yes, but football has more transfers than any other sport because of the money involved in the deals and agent cuts, sign ons etc. it's what has driven the monopoly of the top clubs on success, and goes hand in hand with what the Sky money has delivered.

We have got to the place where most fans now accept this is the natural order of things because they simply can't remember 84 and the missing European competition for several year because of the Heysal ban... And to me that is as depressing an acceptance as you will find in the game - fans no longer dreamers, just 'realists allowed' - realist who know their place and 'understand' players wanting to leave to get success rather than staying and driving success.... Again Adam is just doing what everyone else does, go looking for success elsewhere, but to accept this with good grace is to accept the principle that all is fine with the game and it's competition ideals... It is not

4. Yes it is wrong to suddenly single Adam out, he is after all just doing what anyone else would do- and I appreciate that you know things a little more, and quite rightly are showing loyalty.... Sadly there is none of that left in the game.

Whilst I am gutted to see him go, I am more gutted that both he and Luke Shaw appear to have left in disgust at me renewing my season tickets.....all happening on the same day!

Top post btw.

100,000 a week, 5 year deal, £26,000,000 over the course of his deal.

You can talk about loyalty all you want, no one would turn down that obscene amount of money!!!

Good luck to him, he'll need it as he won't be starting every week and he needs to hit the ground running.

A repeat performance of his first season in the prem & Liverpool fans will turn on him

I think the only one that could possibly apply to is Lovren. The others had different reasons for being here.

You know for a fact that the full extent of Cortese's ambition wasnt shared by ML, do you ?

The main reason they all want to leave is the fact that some huge clubs want individual players.

Lallana isn't agitating for a move to West Brom. Lovren won't go on strike to force through a move to Swansea.

It's entirely a result of having four or five players that are probably good enough to play in a top 4 squad.

Correct. Some players or their agents will make up any old cobblers to get what they want.

There is a post elsewhere that says Lovren had better offers but chose us because of the "plan". I genuinely think the players definitely believed we could make a stab at attaining CL football after listening to NC, but once he went it dawned on them to get it they would have to go to "a top 4 squad"you mention. I do genuinely think up until NC went they were onside and would have stayed. This is not an attack on the present board as you know I am pleased NC left.

You know for a fact that the full extent of Cortese's ambition wasnt shared by ML, do you ?

Of course I don't, like most of us I am trying to make some sort of sense of what is happening with some joined up thinking. I remember thinking when I heard of ML's death that it was a bad day for Southampton Fc, because it was his dream. I think NC then picked up the baton, raised the bar and for a while KL was happy to sign the cheques because she wanted to carry on what her father had started. NC then stepped out of his lane, spent (and wasted) too much money, made promises he shouldn't and she finally had enough.

This is all conjecture, as are most things on this forum, but I do base it on a knowledge of the past and talking to people better placed than me.

I know what you mean, but not a lot of people remember just how terrible Lallana was in 08/09 when we were relegated from the Championship.

He scored one single, solitary goal, could hardly cross a ball and weird as it sounds now, couldn't beat a man.

After that the bigger clubs lost interest as despite his improvements, he was just another player who had only shone in League 1. By the time we were then on the cusp of the Premiership, it of course made sense to stick with us. Even in our first season in the Premiership he was pretty ordinary.

He really has only had one truly excellent season in the top flight. After which the big clubs came calling and off he went.

I don't think he's been *disloyal*. But I don't think his loyalty has ever really been tested.

There is a post elsewhere that says Lovren had better offers but chose us because of the "plan". I genuinely think the players definitely believed we could make a stab at attaining CL football after listening to NC, but once he went it dawned on them to get it they would have to go to "a top 4 squad"you mention. I do genuinely think up until NC went they were onside and would have stayed. This is not an attack on the present board as you know I am pleased NC left.

And that post is utter bulls hit. If you seriously believe Lovren was turning down significantly more money or significantly bigger clubs to buy into our "vision" then you're a fool.

I think the only one that could possibly apply to is Lovren. The others had different reasons for being here.

Yes you are right (although perhaps add Wanyama) but things changed and Cortese's vision that they could attain CL while at SMS raised expectations that have since been dashed. Cue the dash for a top 4 squad place.