Will Saints ever be a "bigger fish in the sea"?

Fitzhugh Fella

From this morning's Observer, Roy Hodgson's thoughts on Lambert's move -

" I congratulate Liverpool on signing a good player, I am sure when you see him against Ecuador he will be running around with all the joy his heart can muster, because he is very happy the deal has gone through. It's a pity for Southampton because they have been terrific this year, but the fact is that the good players in England are always going to gravitate towards the top clubs. That's where the money is, and the Champions League football. UNFORTUNATELY, FOR A CLUB LIKE SOUTHAMPTON, THERE ARE ALWAYS BIGGER FISH IN THE SEA".

So is there a chance we will ever become one of the biggest fish or as Hodgson has hinted should we just accept out fate amid the smaller bait fish?

Me..... I am going fishing.

A bigger stadium and surrounding development of the site would help change perceptions of the club nationally and internationally. Unlikely to happen or not, it is something along these lines Saints will need to move up a level in the eyes of the football world.

Something like this perhaps... :p

southamptontraining3dre.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

Some may not like it on here but sadly, he's spot on. But no I don't think that's what he's saying. I just think he's saying at this current time there are a lot of bigger clubs than Southampton to play for and that's why we're struggling to hold on to our best players. Like I said, he's spot on

Ask Tottenham or Everton just how easy it is to break into that top 4, Champions League elite. Spurs and Everton are historically big clubs, but are still on the outside looking in compared to the big fish of the division.

The Premier League is over hyped, and only serves as a money making exercise for all but 3 or 4 clubs who can actually compete for the title.

The powers that be have made it so, so I guess they're happy with a few clubs per league dominating year in year out. it will end up with the creation of a European super league. The money men will be happy. No doubt some supporters will too. The plastics will be happy. And **** everyone else.

The Premier League is over hyped, and only serves as a money making exercise for all but 3 or 4 clubs who can actually compete for the title.

Strangely this is what a lot of people are still struggling to understand. There may be the odd team who has a freak season and a decent run at finishing 4th like Newcastle did, but this is becoming more and more unlikely as the top clubs hoover up the best players at will. It's a sad state of affairs and can't be rectified until the FA and Premier League grow a set of balls which they won't because it's not in their interest.

A bigger stadium and surrounding development of the site would help change perceptions of the club nationally and internationally. Unlikely to happen or not, it is something along these lines Saints will need to move up a level in the eyes of the football world.

Yeah that, or winning some trophies perhaps...

The powers that be have made it so, so I guess they're happy with a few clubs per league dominating year in year out. it will end up with the creation of a European super league. The money men will be happy. No doubt some supporters will too. The plastics will be happy. And **** everyone else.

This. And the quicker we get a European Super League the quicker we`ll get a more competitive domestic competition.

We would need to increase the fan base - a club like spurs has a restricted capacity but season tickets are vastly oversubscribed. They have a huge income from sponsorship due to the number of supporters they have.

If we can remain a successful, mid table premiership side (+ winning a cup or two) over the next 5 - 10 years we might be able to grow the fan base a bit - encouraging more local youngsters to support Saints and not top 6 clubs...but to be honest I cant really see that happening to an extent that we will become a top 6 club.

Strangely this is what a lot of people are still struggling to understand. There may be the odd team who has a freak season and a decent run at finishing 4th like Newcastle did, but this is becoming more and more unlikely as the top clubs hoover up the best players at will. It's a sad state of affairs and can't be rectified until the FA and Premier League grow a set of balls which they won't because it's not in their interest.

I agree but surely Newcastle have the potential capacity to be that "big fish"? Or does it also come down to how many billions your owner is prepared to invest/lose?

We would need to increase the fan base - a club like spurs has a restricted capacity but season tickets are vastly oversubscribed. They have a huge income from sponsorship due to the number of supporters they have.

If we can remain a successful, mid table premiership side (+ winning a cup or two) over the next 5 - 10 years we might be able to grow the fan base a bit - encouraging more local youngsters to support Saints and not top 6 clubs...but to be honest I cant really see that happening to an extent that we will become a top 6 club.

Yep, agree with that. It's all very well saying "build a bigger stadium and redevelop the surrounding area"; but last year, despite having the most successful season ever in the Premier League with a brilliant brand of attacking football, our average attendance fell by 600 from the previous year, and was around 1,500 down per game on our all time Premier League high.

No, we won't. The big clubs have too much to lose and anyone who looks likely to build something and threaten the cosy cartel at the top will have all its players linked with moves away and destabilised in the way that has happened with us this summer. (Plus some weak leadership isn't helping matters).

" I congratulate Liverpool on signing a good player, I am sure when you see him against Ecuador he will be running around with all the joy his heart can muster, because he is very happy the deal has gone through. It's a pity for Southampton because they have been terrific this year, but the fact is that the good players in England are always going to gravitate towards the top clubs. That's where the money is, and the Champions League football. UNFORTUNATELY, FOR A CLUB LIKE SOUTHAMPTON, THERE ARE ALWAYS BIGGER FISH IN THE SEA".

So is there a chance we will ever become one of the biggest fish or as Hodgson has hinted should we just accept out fate amid the smaller bait fish?

Whether his statement is true or not, if that is what Woy said I expect the club to launch a major complaint against him. This encourages the likes of Shaw and Lallana to leave. Roy Hodgson needs to shut up and honour his word from a couple of days ago that there would be no transfer talk in the camp.

The Club MUST complain to the FA - not overtly - but should send a very strong message. Even if Shaw and Lallana leave this sort of statement implies that the grass is greener elsewhere (there is more to life than money) and that helps make players minds up, arguably costing us money in the transfer fee.

Edited by SaintRobbie

Whether his statement is true or not, if that is what Woy said I expect the club to launch a major complaint against him. This encourages the likes of Shaw and Lallana to leave. Roy Hodgson needs to shut up and honour his word from a couple of days ago that there would be no transfer talk in the camp.

The Club MUST complain to the FA - not overtly - but should send a very strong message. Even if Shaw and Lallana leave this sort of statement implies that the grass is greener elsewhere (there is more to life than money) and that helps make players minds up, arguably costing us money in the transfer fee.

Fair comment (from you not WOY!) I never thought of it that way but you're right, he has contradicted his earlier statement about transfer talk and done us a disservice at the same time !!

Yep, agree with that. It's all very well saying "build a bigger stadium and redevelop the surrounding area"; but last year, despite having the most successful season ever in the Premier League with a brilliant brand of attacking football, our average attendance fell by 600 from the previous year, and was around 1,500 down per game on our all time Premier League high.

Thats interesting. Could be something to do with the state of the economy and reduction in disposable income and standard of living? But I take your point. I wonder if that was the case elsewhere?

sadly Roy is correct, there are an elite few any they go to any lengths to protect that gravy train they are on. Think about it, how many players have Chelsea bought that would be first teamers in any tean outside the top four but have never or nearly never played for Chelsea first team. They buy these players to stop the other sides getting them and these players are happy to sit on their bums getting fat cheques each month for nothing. You may think i'm being cynical here but its true. We will never ever be a big team.....but hey ho i accepted that years ago and i don't want to support a team that buys itself Championships and Cups....that is empty victories as far as i'm concerned.

Unfortunately I think we've peaked for the size of the club at the moment. THe owners don't want to/can't fund a further push as we just don't yet have the infrastructure to support it, and if it goes wrong, well, have a look at the other end of the M27. To compete at that level we need a bigger ground, a bigger squad, more global exposure, better sponsors, the list goes on. I think we have to accept this is going to be Southampton for the next few years at least.

Unfortunately I think we've peaked for the size of the club at the moment. THe owners don't want to/can't fund a further push as we just don't yet have the infrastructure to support it, and if it goes wrong, well, have a look at the other end of the M27. To compete at that level we need a bigger ground, a bigger squad, more global exposure, better sponsors, the list goes on. I think we have to accept this is going to be Southampton for the next few years at least.

It only takes a few players and a cracking manager. But I take your point.

It only takes a few players and a cracking manager. But I take your point.

But the problem as we are seeing now, is while we can get these players, we can't keep hold of them as we can't offer what the big boys can. We're in a massive catch 22, and without spunking a few hundred million we will be every year.

There was a recent article in the Fail that caused me to think about the future. It was saying the top 6 or 7 were subsidising the rest by missing out on TV revenue. Can't be bothered to remember all the details, but yes, Liverpool were at the top having missed out on £70m odd. If, or maybe that is when, clubs negotiate their own TV deals, that really will be that.

As others have said, there are far too many who see PL as being the be all and end all. From a competition POV that is far from true. I always ask what the point is of joining a competition to just make up numbers? I also question the chief aim of PL is qualifying for CL. I would love to see the whole rotten thing collapse but there has been so much money thrown at it that I can't see that happening.

There is something else that really annoys be about Woys statement - truism it may be - but why would the England manager being encouraging his players to go where the money is? Surely he should be encouraging Lallana to carry on as a Captain in a good premier league team so that England will benefit from the possibility of a great captain too? There are more skills needed in low level leadership than in kicking a ball. That is why Lallana is so important to us.

1. We will never be one of the bigger fish

2. Hodgson is right, but he is part of the problem, imo. His training camps were supposed to be transfer-free, but it seems to me he has actively encouraged this situation and I dont care for the accusations that England training camps are being used as cover for tapping-up.

Yes there are always going to be bigger fish in the sea, even for the likes of Liverpool(if Madrid come calling). However we don't need to be small fry and right now i'm extremely annoyed at the condescending pity being wafted Saints way as people try and justify why we aren't allowed to try to keep any good players. Whenever Baines was being linked with Man U there wasn't any of that imo.

I agree though we all know that the FA will do nothing about it, especially pre World Cup. Presumably Hodgeson will be equally delighted when our other England players join top 6 sides. He may be less pleased when they don't play so regularly or are less available.

Strip everything else away and it's still 11 men kicking a ball about on a field for 38 games.

With good tactics, preparation and belief, anything is possible.....The regularity that well organized smaller Clubs give the big boys a bloody nose in European competitions proves it.

Something Saints under Cortese's watch was well in tune with.

It's not going to benefit Roy if Ricky spends most of his time bench-warming. If anything, he should encourage players to stay where they are so they get more game time. They moan about the small number of English players in the PL and do nothing to encourage the smaller clubs to bring players through.

'Twas always the way. We are just a large provincial club and will always be so. Yes we had our attendance fall but £40 a ticket (to have 40 you have to earn 50) is a lot of money to find. Add to that travel food etc and football is now becoming a luxury.

Every top club now needs wealthy benefactors or a superb business model with a massive attendance and marketing. It will be a long time until we can fall into that, if ever

There are bigger fish in the sea than any club in England. Barcelona and Real Madrid will always attract players over any of them. There's absolutely no need for Hodgson to comment on any of this and it just makes him come across as unprofessional. He should show a little bit more respect to a club that are making his job a hell of a lot easier.

There are bigger fish in the sea than any club in England. Barcelona and Real Madrid will always attract players over any of them. There's absolutely no need for Hodgson to comment on any of this and it just makes him come across as unprofessional. He should show a little bit more respect to a club that are making his job a hell of a lot easier.

Welcome back.

What's the plan this time around?

Strip everything else away and it's still 11 men kicking a ball about on a field for 38 games.

With good tactics, preparation and belief, anything is possible.....The regularity that well organized smaller Clubs give the big boys a bloody nose in European competitions proves it.

Something Saints under Cortese's watch was well in tune with.

Helluva lot of good its done us.........

Great to have a much bigger stadium but where will everyone park?