Schneiderlin Transfer Rumours

Saint-Armstrong

Not one of them is a serious link or article. Are you honestly saying that one of the biggest clubs in the world made a serious play for those players, but WBA were able to fend them off?

Not one of them is a serious link or article. Are you honestly saying that one of the biggest clubs in the world made a serious play for those players, but WBA were able to fend them off?

that was 2 mins of google and picked random links.

im sure if I could be bothered to look, there would be more serious articles

either way, WBA finished 8th and their best players were linked (some quite a lot) to top clubs

for what ever reason, none left (apart from lukaku, obviously)

:lol: his smugness suggested he was confident there were no links.

Not smug at all. That doesn't say that there any formal bids down on the table, just faint interest - which is what I said anyway.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to fathom - if there was a serious onslaught by an elite club to sign one of those 3 players, then they would have gone. There's no other debate to be had.

Swansea have done well. Kept bony and where they have just lost Davies, are looking to get a player swap as part of it (gylfi is a great player.) if I were saints then Swansea is the model I would follow, especially as they are a smaller club than us.

Remind me how they got on with keeping their best midfielder Joe Allen last summer?

either way, WBA finished 8th and their best players were linked (some quite a lot) to top clubs

Yes, but answer my question, don't care about links or not.

Remind me how they got on with keeping their best midfielder Joe Allen last summer?

that is the point. they didnt sell half of their team

i dont think many of us (if any) expected to keep everyone

but to lose 4, 5 or even 6 starters is really unprecedented. regardless of who comes calling. We cant be the first and only club in this situation in the history of the premier league

Swansea have done well. Kept bony and where they have just lost Davies, are looking to get a player swap as part of it (gylfi is a great player.) if I were saints then Swansea is the model I would follow, especially as they are a smaller club than us.
Swansea haven't really done well have they. Good chance Bony will leave, Michu has gone for nothing and Davies has been sold. Which top players have they fought off bids from big clubs for?

that is the point. they didnt sell half of their team

Probably because no top four teams (or top European teams) came in with bids that would either turn the players heads or the clubs. None of the players you listed links for come into the hot property bracket - like 28 year old England internationals for example.

Remind me when they had three, or more, players that top six clubs actually bid for......

Nobody wanted Vorm, michu, allen, britton, the cb (cant remember name right now) or either winger ?

Or were they just better prepared at keeping the players and the runours quiet ?

I love how we are the only side outside of the top 6 thats ever had major interest in our players, makes me feel so proud

Nobody wanted Vorm, michu, allen, britton, the cb (cant remember name right now) or either winger ?

Or were they just better prepared at keeping the players and the runours quiet ?

I love how we are the only side outside of the top 6 thats ever had major interest in our players, makes me feel so proud

No, no one wanted Allen. No one.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19215804

Tell us more about the big, serious bids that came in from the top clubs for these players?

Honestly don't think it's KL's commitment or desire that has cost us but her inexperience and competency. The decision to appoint Krueger as Chairman over Williams was an absolute clanger in retrospect, and we seemed to sleepwalk through January to May with little public leadership or direction. There's been an improvement with Reed taking a more prominent role and Krueger kept back, but the damage was done - both to player morale and media perception - during that time.

Largely agree with this although it is not necessarily Krueger as chairman that is the prime problem, but the lack of a more experienced hand to steady things. Williams as you say was the obvious candidate rather than leaving Rodgers to find his feet, and Reed to become presumably involved in more of the business and negotiation of transfers.

The management does seem indecisive and weak at the moment, and the club lacking fight and direction.

Honestly don't think it's KL's commitment or desire that has cost us but her inexperience and competency. The decision to appoint Krueger as Chairman over Williams was an absolute clanger in retrospect, and we seemed to sleepwalk through January to May with little public leadership or direction. There's been an improvement with Reed taking a more prominent role and Krueger kept back, but the damage was done - both to player morale and media perception - during that time.

Absolutely bang on, nothing intentional IMO but naive and incompetance.

We will come out of it, but it made the players minds up and allowed the vultures (media and clubs) to circle

We will come out of it, but it made the players minds up and allowed the vultures (media and clubs) to circle

Okay enough of the moaning. What should this incompetent board have done different - matched the Liverpool and Man U wage offers or not?

You keep saying things like this, but what exactly did you want them to do when two of the biggest clubs in the world started bidding £25m and £30m for our players and offering them £100k p/w contracts?

I don't think you should be using words like "incompetence", when you can't even spell it correctly! :p

And the next season they were utter sh*te, so by that logic we'll do even better this season!

You keep saying things like this, but what exactly did you want them to do when two of the biggest clubs in the world started bidding £25m and £30m for our players and offering them £100k p/w contracts?

I don't think you should be using words like "incompetence", when you can't even spell it correctly! :p

It just bleating and lashing out, "I dont like it, I dont like it" but with zero solutions or ideas of what he would have done different.

Imagine if you were a Leeds supporter instead of saints. Bigger club, in a far, far worse situation. Slit wrists come to mind

Okay enough of the moaning. What should this incompetent board have done different - matched the Liverpool and Man U wage offers or not?

I think if the board had hit the ground running they may have appeased the players quicker and set up a front against the media. We are the go to club right now, the meal ticket, both for the top teams and the papers. Id fully expect we would have lost players, but would we have seen it at this level and this noisy ? Honestly ? I dont think so. I know people keep bringing him up but realistically NC had his media allies, and managed players better IMO

You can always say no, like I said, Id expect a couple to leave, but not this many with this level of discontebt.

As per the spelling, its quarter to twelve, Im knackered and writing on a forum, I dont really care mate. Your a teacher and a man who rates saints players badly on a football game, if you really want to share qualifications be my guest, if not lets stick to talking about the situation and not being a *****

I think if the board had hit the ground running they may have appeased the players quicker and set up a front against the media. We are the go to club right now, the meal ticket, both for the top teams and the papers. Id fully expect we would have lost players, but would we have seen it at this level and this noisy ? Honestly ? I dont think so. I know people keep bringing him up but realistically NC had his media allies, and managed players better IMO

You can always say no, like I said, Id expect a couple to leave, but not this many with this level of discontebt.

As per the spelling, its quarter to twelve, Im knackered and writing on a forum, I dont really care mate. Your a teacher and a man who rates saints players badly on a football game, if you really want to share qualifications be my guest, if not lets stick to talking about the situation and not being a *****

What have the media got to do with it? Do you seriously think some sympathetic press would have convinced players against tripling their wages?

You've yet to explain how the club keeps players when offered £30m for Shaw, £25m for Lallana, £20m for Lovren and £4m+ for a 32 year old Lambert and offers of huge wages from clubs significantly larger than us.

If we were losing our best players to West Brom and Stoke for small fees that is the time to panic. Losing them to two of the biggest clubs in world football for huge amounts of money is not (at least not until you see who they are replaced with).

Edited by Matthew Le God

What have the media got to do with it? Do you seriously think some sympathetic press would have convinced players against tripling their wages?

I think the lack of leadership for five months and seemingly no figurehead st the top unsettled players even before bids had come in. Someone like John Williams IMO would have had a much better chance of persuading certain players to stay even if it's only a short term basis. This would have allowed the situation to be managed much better without looking like a shambolic and like we are a club on the down.

Nope not at all, but they are a destabilising medium aswell as a positive one. Clubs realise they are a tool for good or bad, surely your not that foolish.

I think the lack of leadership for five months and seemingly no figurehead st the top unsettled players even before bids had come in. Someone like John Williams IMO would have had a much better chance of persuading certain players to stay even if it's only a short term basis. This would have allowed the situation to be managed much better without looking like a shambolic and like we are a club on the down.

If you were offered £100k p/w salary and Champions League football at one of the biggest clubs in world football would you stay at Saints? Williams, Krueger... whoever.... it makes no difference. Once bids of that size we've had come in we weren't going to keep them.

I agree the PR wasnt good in the first few months but ultimately it wouldnt have made any difference imo. Pochettino would still have left for Spurs and players would still have left cfor more money. Its interesting that only two managers have actually come in for our players - Man U for Shaw which was no brainer because hes clearly exceptional and Rodgers who has been hoovering everbody up. Withoyut Rodgers and his atttempt to buy 8th place the situation would be very different.

If you were offered £100k p/w salary and Champions League football at one of the biggest clubs in world football would you stay at Saints? Williams, Krueger... whoever.... it makes no difference. Once bids of that size we've had come in we weren't going to keep them.

How would all of them have been able to leave if we didn't except any bids?

crap the players don't want to be here because bigger clubs came calling with better wages and a higher level of football. Do you really think if it was Burnley or Stoke coming a calling for our players they'd be in such a hurry to leave?.....No thought not. **** me even your Location is set up too take the **** out of someone who thought saints could hold on to Lallana.

How would all of them have been able to leave if we didn't except any bids?

Bale: Mills told the Evening Standard: "We very much want Bale to stay. If a player is desperate to leave, it's very difficult to force him to stay.

"We've seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can't force somebody to play for you."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10227746/Gareth-Bale-transfer-we-cant-force-our-star-player-to-stay-says-Tottenham-director.html

Joe Allen. Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup says it would be counterproductive to force Joe Allen to stay at the club against his will.

Midfielder Allen, 22, is set to finalise his £15m move to Liverpool, where he will be reunited with former Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers.

"You can't keep a player who wants to leave," said Laudrup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19215804

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits he cannot force Bacary Sagna to agree a new deal, but believes it would be the "wrong" decision for the player were he to leave the Emirates Stadium in the summer.

"We won’t make anyone stay who doesn’t want to be at Sevilla. Anyone who wants to walk through the door can do it, though it has to be at our price.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2014/06/04/4859768/we-wont-force-rakitic-to-stay-say-sevilla

Edited by buctootim

This

And MLG for the hundreth time you wont be able to avoid losing players, but you can help stop it. The big teams realise we are an easy target right now. Players discontent, the board obviously negotiable. You can always just say 'your not going anywhere' but we are obviously not good at that.

I can easily triple my wages, Im happy where I am with the job I have right now. More often then not it takes you to start looking before you get tempted. And I expect the players started looking and hence liverpool came in for the kill.

I also doubt we got the fees mentioned if im honest

Funny last season back when we were the glass ceiling shattering football revolutionaries there would be plenty on here who would have been horrified to be compared to those fly-by-night one season wonders West Brom and Swansea.

Turns out, in fact, they were chock full of Champions League quality players that the top four were desperate to get their hands on.

How brilliant that their super strong board said no means no and kept those teams together. And my, did WBA and Swansea power up the league in the following season. That champions league quality really did tell for them.

What do you think the club should have done exactly?

Apart from hiring a pr agency and explaining we arent a selling club ? Not doing any business with any media who help spread rumours of discontent ? Selling stories and giving access for positive stories ?

Other than that no idea