Shut down the Academy?

andoru

It's a radical suggestion, but just what is the point of our academy if the graduates from it stay a season or two at most before moving on? We hardly ever see any return on the investment on the pitch, which as a fan is what I care about. I couldn't give two s**ts whether the club makes good money off the sales. Everyone bangs on about how great the youth system is at Saints, but I don't feel a lot of pride in it anymore. I mean, why should I? It's only our academy in name. Shut it down and force all the big clubs to start doing their own scouting and development. I'm fed up with it.

It's a radical suggestion, but just what is the point of our academy if the graduates from it stay a season or two at most before moving on? We hardly ever see any return on the investment on the pitch, which as a fan is what I care about. I couldn't give two s**ts whether the club makes good money off the sales. Everyone bangs on about how great the youth system is at Saints, but I don't feel a lot of pride in it anymore. I mean, why should I? It's only our academy in name. Shut it down and force all the big clubs to start doing their own scouting and development. I'm fed up with it.

Yay, someone has a second username! Or a third... Time for another round of Which WUM?

The forum reaches a new low......

This - 100%

Brainless

Without the academy we would be a Stoke or a Hull

Is that what you all want?

Great young players or lots of money to sign other teams players. I know you're all pretending it won't be, but over days weeks and years, that and more will be.

Skate and/or stupid? You decide.

I bet pompey (and loads of other clubs) would kill for an academy like ours to give them a source of money. Without multi-million pound sponsorship deals' or owners with more money than sense that the big teams have we need the income which the academy can produce. We'd all love to have a team of excellent academy products playing for saints but that is never going to happen in modern football.

Here in Montpellier, like at other France clubs, Academies are the main way of staying afloat financially. An annual sale or two of home grown talent keeps the clubs alive. Operating in this manner was how Rupert Lowe saw investment in an Academy, without a sugar daddy, as the way forward.

Montpellier chairman, the notorious Louis Nicollin, once compared an Academy as a production line, comparing it to a cake shop. It was wrong to prevent sale of the gateaux just for the sake of admiration or because the Chef wanted to keep it. The aim was to sell at the best price and continue the production, rather than allow the gateaux to deteriorate in the shop window and provide no income

Montpellier chairman, the notorious Louis Nicollin, once compared an Academy as a production line, comparing it to a cake shop. It was wrong to prevent sale of the gateaux just for the sake of admiration or because the Chef wanted to keep it. The aim was to sell at the best price and continue the production, rather than allow the gateaux to deteriorate in the shop window and provide no income

Any Frenchman that would use cake as an analogy for developing and maturing young players when wine and cheese are available is obviously an idiot.

Any Frenchman that would use cake as an analogy for developing and maturing young players when wine and cheese are available is obviously an idiot.

Far from an idiot, but his size and weight and love of food, and obviously cakes, his ownership of many restaurants, lets you understand why he tends to use food in his examples. One of his nicknames is " Grand-papa gâteau"

Un-derapage-de-plus-pour-Louis-Nicollin_article_hover_preview.jpg

Without the insults, anyone who understands the Strategy of the club will recognise that the Academy is the heart and soul (lol) of it. And something tells me the OP knows this fully.

Obviously I know this. I'm not an idiot. And I'm not seriously suggesting it gets shut down. I was just making the point that while it might be called Southampton's academy, it is only in name. It's nothing but a cash cow, not a real producer of players for us. Anyone who is fine with that needs their head examined. I won't be cheering when Reed or JWP get sold in a year's time. 15 million quid in the bank means nothing to me, especially when it's used to buy two players ten years older and of lower quality, as will likely happen. As a fan, all I care about is the football, and for once I'd like to see our best youth graduates stick with us as gratitude for being given the chance to play professional football. When I hear Luke Shaw talk about moving to Utd to further his career and how he's dreamed of it since he was young I want to slap him - he's only 19 for crying out loud. His career just started. He could give us a couple more seasons and then move on and achieve all he can in football. So what that we got 30m for him? If he ends up having a 15 year career at the top, like he really should, that will be 500k a season. Not worth it in my opinion. Oh well, I guess I was a fool to ever think we could have our own 'Class of X' like Utd did. Those days are, sadly, long gone in football.