• Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

Agree completely.

You can agree completely that Tadic's potential contribution cannot be assessed after just 70 minutes of PL football, but you are perfectly capable of predicting that an incomplete Saints team will not finish in the top ten based on their first match of the season.

Don't you see the inconsistency there at all?

Agree completely.

You can agree completely that Tadic's potential contribution cannot be assessed after just 70 minutes of PL football, but you are perfectly capable of predicting that an incomplete Saints team will not finish in the top ten based on their first match of the season.

Don't you see the inconsistency there at all?

Happy with that.

We grew into the game and deserved something from it.

Bertrand superb. Ditto clyne, wanyama, and Morgan 2nd half.

Tadic great in patches, ditto JWP.

Pelle had a baptism but held the ball up well and when he had a man playing closer to him looked dangerous.

The CB's both did well imo. No glaring errors and very disciplined.

We'll do alright this year. Get Ramirez firing, and a proper winger on the pitch, and we'll be a threat going forward.

Happy with that.

We grew into the game and deserved something from it.

Bertrand superb. Ditto clyne, wanyama, and Morgan 2nd half.

Tadic great in patches, ditto JWP.

Pelle had a baptism but held the ball up well and when he had a man playing closer to him looked dangerous.

The CB's both did well imo. No glaring errors and very disciplined.

We'll do alright this year. Get Ramirez firing, and a proper winger on the pitch, and we'll be a threat going forward.

So what did we learn from today,even allowing for the fact there is still a long way to go this season?

I think we learned that we still have the best pairing of young English full-backs in the Premier League. The best tribute you can pay Bertrand is that we didn't appear to overly miss Shaw. We already knew what we have in Clyne.

We learned that Yoshida is not the disaster waiting to happen most people think he is. He would not be first choice, but after an iffy start, he played quite well.

we learned the JWP can cut it at PL level. He has his doubters on here, but let's not forget the kid is still only 19. Other than Ross Barkley, how many other England midfielders are PL starters? There were times today when he seemed more confident in running with the ball and holding it to wait for support. There are those who say he is a Sidney Sideways but as we are constantly being told by all and sundry that possession is king, he doesn't give the ball away that often. You could count the number of times he does it in a game on the fingers of one hand.

Steven Davis committed an error at each end which cost us the game - but doesn't make him a bad player. Had he scored to put Saints in front, Liverpool would have folded. And it was he who let the poor man's Prince Sterling win the header to set Sturridge up.

We learned that Tadic looks like a gem. He got caught in possession leading to the first goal, but will learn from that. His backheel to set up Clyne was sublime.

We learned that Lambert might have made a mistake in going to Liverpool. Today was the template for his season. He's going to be a bit-part player, slung on when Liverpool needs bailing out of a hole.

I think we learned that we might have just got the better end of that deal. I think we might have sold him at just the right time. Is Pelle an adequate replacement? We'll have a better view when the first chance lands at his feet in the box and how he takes it. Certainly, he's more mobile than Lambert and will work defenders a bit more.

We didn't learn any more about Big Vic and Schneiderlin that we didn't already know, unless it's that Wanyama seems to be more comfortable on the ball. Koeman has obviously worked on him and told him to keep it simple and not do anything he's not capable of.

We already knew Wanyama was a beast but today confirmed it. Even allowing for Davie Provan's love-in for a former SPL player, he was full of praise for Big Vic.

We learned that Gerrard is living on borrowed time, and is probably only in the team because the insufferable cock Rogers is scared to drop him.

Shurlock's description of Gerrard as a "**** poor Pirlo parody" was spot on and the reason he plays back there is to hide. Wanyama shook his bones with an early rattler and after that, Gerrard shat himself and dropped deeper and deeper until he was almost treasing on Mignolet's toes.

I think we learned that for all their outlay, Liverpool fans probably more concerns than we have. They still have defensive frailties that will cost them any chance of the title. Forget Sterling, their best player today was Lovren - and he was undressed by Tadic.

I don't think we are any the wiser where Lallana will fit in, but frankly, who cares?

Granted, Liverpool has a couple of players out but for all their summer expenditure, their hopes of lifting the title disappeared when Suarez went.

They can give it all the talk they like about how they are a stronger team without him, but that's just blowing smoke up peoples backsides.

I think we learned that this current squad have bought into Koeman's ideas and like playing for him. It's a different style than it was under El Traidor, but the way they have clearly embraced it quickly shows how Koeman has won them over, and the weight of authority he carries.

We learned that with a couple more additions, we will be a decent side, with a not-too-shabby undercard. Isgrove certainly didn't look overawed when he came on.

I think we learned that despite a traumatic summer, we can have a decent season under a manager who knows his stuff and will himself learn a lot from today.

So what did we learn from today,even allowing for the fact there is still a long way to go this season?

I think we learned that we still have the best pairing of young English full-backs in the Premier League. The best tribute you can pay Bertrand is that we didn't appear to overly miss Shaw. We already knew what we have in Clyne.

We learned that Yoshida is not the disaster waiting to happen most people think he is. He would not be first choice, but after an iffy start, he played quite well.

we learned the JWP can cut it at PL level. He has his doubters on here, but let's not forget the kid is still only 19. Other than Ross Barkley, how many other England midfielders are PL starters? There were times today when he seemed more confident in running with the ball and holding it to wait for support. There are those who say he is a Sidney Sideways but as we are constantly being told by all and sundry that possession is king, he doesn't give the ball away that often. You could count the number of times he does it in a game on the fingers of one hand.

Steven Davis committed an error at each end which cost us the game - but doesn't make him a bad player. Had he scored to put Saints in front, Liverpool would have folded. And it was he who let the poor man's Prince Sterling win the header to set Sturridge up.

We learned that Tadic looks like a gem. He got caught in possession leading to the first goal, but will learn from that. His backheel to set up Clyne was sublime.

We learned that Lambert might have made a mistake in going to Liverpool. Today was the template for his season. He's going to be a bit-part player, slung on when Liverpool needs bailing out of a hole.

I think we learned that we might have just got the better end of that deal. I think we might have sold him at just the right time. Is Pelle an adequate replacement? We'll have a better view when the first chance lands at his feet in the box and how he takes it. Certainly, he's more mobile than Lambert and will work defenders a bit more.

We didn't learn any more about Big Vic and Schneiderlin that we didn't already know, unless it's that Wanyama seems to be more comfortable on the ball. Koeman has obviously worked on him and told him to keep it simple and not do anything he's not capable of.

We already knew Wanyama was a beast but today confirmed it. Even allowing for Davie Provan's love-in for a former SPL player, he was full of praise for Big Vic.

We learned that Gerrard is living on borrowed time, and is probably only in the team because the insufferable cock Rogers is scared to drop him.

Shurlock's description of Gerrard as a "**** poor Pirlo parody" was spot on and the reason he plays back there is to hide. Wanyama shook his bones with an early rattler and after that, Gerrard shat himself and dropped deeper and deeper until he was almost treasing on Mignolet's toes.

I think we learned that for all their outlay, Liverpool fans probably more concerns than we have. They still have defensive frailties that will cost them any chance of the title. Forget Sterling, their best player today was Lovren - and he was undressed by Tadic.

I don't think we are any the wiser where Lallana will fit in, but frankly, who cares?

Granted, Liverpool has a couple of players out but for all their summer expenditure, their hopes of lifting the title disappeared when Suarez went.

They can give it all the talk they like about how they are a stronger team without him, but that's just blowing smoke up peoples backsides.

I think we learned that this current squad have bought into Koeman's ideas and like playing for him. It's a different style than it was under El Traidor, but the way they have clearly embraced it quickly shows how Koeman has won them over, and the weight of authority he carries.

We learned that with a couple more additions, we will be a decent side, with a not-too-shabby undercard. Isgrove certainly didn't look overawed when he came on.

I think we learned that despite a traumatic summer, we can have a decent season under a manager who knows his stuff and will himself learn a lot from today.

Really? Not appalling but shaky and bad header lead to the winner. Thought Pelle was OK. Linked up well at times and held the ball up well. Owned by Lovren in the air though. Thought Fonte, Clyne and Wanyama played really well, Schneiderlin was well off the pace and the others were patchy. Bad miss by Long at the end but Isgrove looked useful at the end.

SOmeone else may have said this already, but it was Wanyama's **** clearing header that lead to their winner.

Really? Not appalling but shaky and bad header lead to the winner. Thought Pelle was OK. Linked up well at times and held the ball up well. Owned by Lovren in the air though. Thought Fonte, Clyne and Wanyama played really well, Schneiderlin was well off the pace and the others were patchy. Bad miss by Long at the end but Isgrove looked useful at the end.

SOmeone else may have said this already, but it was Wanyama's **** clearing header that lead to their winner.

Let him adjust to the game. He's clearly not a non shooting striker given that he scored 57 goals in 60 odd games. Incredible goal scoring statistics which he will replicate at any level, he just needs to adjust. I felt he was much better when there was movement and fluidity in and around him. It will come, certainly with Long, another wide player and the return of Jay. If anything, by Christmas our options up top should look better than last year.

Precisely and keep in mind that Pelle has played in the Dutch league for 2 years and therefore isn't used to play against defenders who match his physique (or fysics?) and the pace of the game in the PL. I saw him struggling today because of the way Southampton played (especially in the first half) and you're right: he will contribute more to the team with teammates around him. There was just one moment he remembered me of the Pelle playing for Feyenoord: when he past the ball with his breast to Schneiderlin (I believe) who failed to score. Pelle is always aware of the players around him and he will give them the ball when they are in a better position than he is. And yes, he does have a great shot and he can shoot with both feet (though his right one is better). Hope he will score a goal like this one soon for Saints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgIK6hOXag, that will give him the confidence he needs!

Too bad Saints didn't get a result today as they were the better team in the second half.

Let him adjust to the game. He's clearly not a non shooting striker given that he scored 57 goals in 60 odd games. Incredible goal scoring statistics which he will replicate at any level, he just needs to adjust. I felt he was much better when there was movement and fluidity in and around him. It will come, certainly with Long, another wide player and the return of Jay. If anything, by Christmas our options up top should look better than last year.

Precisely and keep in mind that Pelle has played in the Dutch league for 2 years and therefore isn't used to play against defenders who match his physique (or fysics?) and the pace of the game in the PL. I saw him struggling today because of the way Southampton played (especially in the first half) and you're right: he will contribute more to the team with teammates around him. There was just one moment he remembered me of the Pelle playing for Feyenoord: when he past the ball with his breast to Schneiderlin (I believe) who failed to score. Pelle is always aware of the players around him and he will give them the ball when they are in a better position than he is. And yes, he does have a great shot and he can shoot with both feet (though his right one is better). Hope he will score a goal like this one soon for Saints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgIK6hOXag, that will give him the confidence he needs!

Too bad Saints didn't get a result today as they were the better team in the second half.

And the failure of Davis and one other (Schneiderlin?) to make any sort of challenge on Sterling. You know there's something wrong when he's winning headers in your penalty area.

And the failure of Davis and one other (Schneiderlin?) to make any sort of challenge on Sterling. You know there's something wrong when he's winning headers in your penalty area.

Sorry Whitey I wasn't necesssarily laying the entire fault at Big Vic's feet. Or head as it were. Merely replying to someone else who said Yoshida was at fault for the header. He wasn't.

But then Yosh also got grief for being nowhere near Sterling for their first. Never mind the fact he 40 yards away standing next to Sturridge and doing his job.

People see what they want to see I think is what I am getting at.

I thought Vic was massive for us today. Mopped up everything and stood hard in the tackle, without giving the ref anything to work with. MoTM by a country mile.

Sorry Whitey I wasn't necesssarily laying the entire fault at Big Vic's feet. Or head as it were. Merely replying to someone else who said Yoshida was at fault for the header. He wasn't.

But then Yosh also got grief for being nowhere near Sterling for their first. Never mind the fact he 40 yards away standing next to Sturridge and doing his job.

People see what they want to see I think is what I am getting at.

I thought Vic was massive for us today. Mopped up everything and stood hard in the tackle, without giving the ref anything to work with. MoTM by a country mile.

Yep, for me Davis and Clyne were the most at fault for their winner. Clyne lost his man. And Davis let little Sterling beat him to a header he had so much time to get ready for... in fact, he barely even challenged for it. I love Davis as a player, but his two major mistakes cost us 3 points, not just 1 :-( Ah well, he'll prove he's better than that as the season goes on.

Yep, for me Davis and Clyne were the most at fault for their winner. Clyne lost his man. And Davis let little Sterling beat him to a header he had so much time to get ready for... in fact, he barely even challenged for it. I love Davis as a player, but his two major mistakes cost us 3 points, not just 1 :-( Ah well, he'll prove he's better than that as the season goes on.

Rubbish. He wasn't the best player on the field but to say he was **** all game is just completely and utterly wrong.

main problem is that he is knocked off the ball too easily, but was actually very good at getting the ball and working the corners and free kcicks well. He needs to be more confident in taking on a shot. Pelle was about as useful today as Gerrard, two of the most anonymous performances seen.

1) Agree, I thought JWP was much better second half, but (like Lallana) gets hussled off the ball too easily. First half free kick (ala Beckham style)...had Mignolet struggling.

2) watched pre match pics. of teams standing in the tunnel. Gerrard looked like a very old man.... in a trance. Pelle was double-marked much of the time.... but (hopefully) ...he'll learn.

Rubbish. He wasn't the best player on the field but to say he was **** all game is just completely and utterly wrong.

main problem is that he is knocked off the ball too easily, but was actually very good at getting the ball and working the corners and free kcicks well. He needs to be more confident in taking on a shot. Pelle was about as useful today as Gerrard, two of the most anonymous performances seen.

1) Agree, I thought JWP was much better second half, but (like Lallana) gets hussled off the ball too easily. First half free kick (ala Beckham style)...had Mignolet struggling.

2) watched pre match pics. of teams standing in the tunnel. Gerrard looked like a very old man.... in a trance. Pelle was double-marked much of the time.... but (hopefully) ...he'll learn.

But Danny Murphy also decides to sell Morgan to Liverpool for us.

Nice of him. Chapman challenged him and suggested that might not go down so well with Southampton supporters at which time he realised what he had said and backtracked with a Schneiderlin 'type' of player. Noob.

But Danny Murphy also decides to sell Morgan to Liverpool for us.

Nice of him. Chapman challenged him and suggested that might not go down so well with Southampton supporters at which time he realised what he had said and backtracked with a Schneiderlin 'type' of player. Noob.

Have to agree with most of the comments on here. Wasn't expecting us to perform so well. Still think we are 2 players short of breaking into the top half, but there's no doubt we will pick up plenty of points playing like that. Was very impressed by Bertrand and Tadic down the left, Tadic has plenty in his locker and will create and make things happen. Pelle was largely anonymous, but he was isolated up top and so difficult to judge him. I will give him the first 10 games before writing him off. It's absolutely vital we keep Morgan, him and Big Vic in the middle have the ability to dominate any other team, Wanyama was everywhere, MOTM by a mile. I was critical of him last year but this season I feel he will be our best player. He broke down the play so many times and that was shown by the fact that Liverpool created very little, which makes it even more disappointing that we concedes twice. All in all, a positive performance, but we need to get some points on the board, starting next weekend. This side will get better and I have faith in RoKo that we can have another good season. Just need to get to September one

Have to agree with most of the comments on here. Wasn't expecting us to perform so well. Still think we are 2 players short of breaking into the top half, but there's no doubt we will pick up plenty of points playing like that. Was very impressed by Bertrand and Tadic down the left, Tadic has plenty in his locker and will create and make things happen. Pelle was largely anonymous, but he was isolated up top and so difficult to judge him. I will give him the first 10 games before writing him off. It's absolutely vital we keep Morgan, him and Big Vic in the middle have the ability to dominate any other team, Wanyama was everywhere, MOTM by a mile. I was critical of him last year but this season I feel he will be our best player. He broke down the play so many times and that was shown by the fact that Liverpool created very little, which makes it even more disappointing that we concedes twice. All in all, a positive performance, but we need to get some points on the board, starting next weekend. This side will get better and I have faith in RoKo that we can have another good season. Just need to get to September one

Proud!! Well done Saints. Not sure why Tadic went off, but well done Saints!!

few people could fail to be impressed by his debut. Certainly some TV commentators on diff. channels were, but think he put in his shift - and a bit more - and he needed to be subbed.

Isgrove isn't my idea of a Prem. player, but he DAJFU when he came on. Can't judge on one 15 min.sub.appearance.

Proud!! Well done Saints. Not sure why Tadic went off, but well done Saints!!

few people could fail to be impressed by his debut. Certainly some TV commentators on diff. channels were, but think he put in his shift - and a bit more - and he needed to be subbed.

Isgrove isn't my idea of a Prem. player, but he DAJFU when he came on. Can't judge on one 15 min.sub.appearance.

Just watched the extended highlights and on that basis have voted for Clyne as our MoM, not just for the goal but for overall performance. Wanyama was good but his mis-hit shot took him below Clyne IMHO. Worried about Davis, who was one of our best players on many occasions last season, but in this game his performance seemed to be peppered with errors just when it mattered, although the foul on him by Sturridge, in the area, that Dave Merrington points out in his commentary, should have resulted in a penalty.

Just watched the extended highlights and on that basis have voted for Clyne as our MoM, not just for the goal but for overall performance. Wanyama was good but his mis-hit shot took him below Clyne IMHO. Worried about Davis, who was one of our best players on many occasions last season, but in this game his performance seemed to be peppered with errors just when it mattered, although the foul on him by Sturridge, in the area, that Dave Merrington points out in his commentary, should have resulted in a penalty.

Clyne was pretty awful first half tbf.

Clyne was pretty awful first half tbf.

Gutted we didn't get at least a point

On the positive side the bedweters will have slightly drier sheets tonight

Just possibly, Mr Muse, the critics you decry may well be responsible for the fact that Schneiderlin is still on the books and was in the side against Liverpool. The reality is that the concerns of the critics have largely been met over the last two weeks or so with the signings of Forster, Gardos and Long but the credit for the positive performance must go to Koeman, particularly for his team selection which provided continuity with 7 of last season's players in the starting line-up, 6 of them being regular first choice selections. He may well change the team more over the next few games, Davis for example, might lose his place, but the gradualist approach to change looks very intelligent. The damage is being repaired but with thanks to the Head Coach, not the Board, who created the exodus situation. If we had still had Lovren in the side, that may have made all the difference. Lambert, being on our bench instead of Liverpool's would have helped as well. Shame about the result, but Koeman takes huge credit for a game that could have as easily gone our way as their's.

Gutted we didn't get at least a point

On the positive side the bedweters will have slightly drier sheets tonight

Just possibly, Mr Muse, the critics you decry may well be responsible for the fact that Schneiderlin is still on the books and was in the side against Liverpool. The reality is that the concerns of the critics have largely been met over the last two weeks or so with the signings of Forster, Gardos and Long but the credit for the positive performance must go to Koeman, particularly for his team selection which provided continuity with 7 of last season's players in the starting line-up, 6 of them being regular first choice selections. He may well change the team more over the next few games, Davis for example, might lose his place, but the gradualist approach to change looks very intelligent. The damage is being repaired but with thanks to the Head Coach, not the Board, who created the exodus situation. If we had still had Lovren in the side, that may have made all the difference. Lambert, being on our bench instead of Liverpool's would have helped as well. Shame about the result, but Koeman takes huge credit for a game that could have as easily gone our way as their's.

If on the basis of extended highlights you voted Clyne as our MoM, then clearly they missed some pretty important stuff out on those highlights!

If on the basis of extended highlights you voted Clyne as our MoM, then clearly they missed some pretty important stuff out on those highlights!

I'm having a quiet little chuckle to myself at the proposition that had it not been for us fans, Schneiderlin might have gone. It couldn't possibly be that a line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere and that he was where it was drawn? You really have no idea whether Reed and Koeman had decided in the first instance that it was a necessity to keep him. And the naivety is breathtaking that the board caused the exodus of players. Do you really believe that those players would have stayed with us when three of the top glory clubs came after them offering to massively increase their pay?

As for Lovren, Liverpool having him in their defence didn't prevent us scoring and it was him who Tadic outsmarted to set up Clyne. You yourself point out that 6 of the 7 players playing yesterday were regulars in our team, which rather points to the fact that you and most pundits have overlooked; that we still have a decent core of players. Credit for the replacement of those who have left cannot be credited solely on Koeman, that would be ridiculous. Credit for how the team was set out, the tactics, the players' attitudes, maybe.

I'm having a quiet little chuckle to myself at the proposition that had it not been for us fans, Schneiderlin might have gone. It couldn't possibly be that a line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere and that he was where it was drawn? You really have no idea whether Reed and Koeman had decided in the first instance that it was a necessity to keep him. And the naivety is breathtaking that the board caused the exodus of players. Do you really believe that those players would have stayed with us when three of the top glory clubs came after them offering to massively increase their pay?

As for Lovren, Liverpool having him in their defence didn't prevent us scoring and it was him who Tadic outsmarted to set up Clyne. You yourself point out that 6 of the 7 players playing yesterday were regulars in our team, which rather points to the fact that you and most pundits have overlooked; that we still have a decent core of players. Credit for the replacement of those who have left cannot be credited solely on Koeman, that would be ridiculous. Credit for how the team was set out, the tactics, the players' attitudes, maybe.

Interesting comments, I could have sworn we lost to a very sluggish Liverpool who were there for the taking.

Morgan at fault for both goals ( he reminded me on a sulky teenager attending a family function he didn't want to be at), Tadic looks good if a little slow (perhaps we took the direct replacement for Lallana to literally...).

Pelle looks like a big lump and we will need to find a way to play with him but he was cleaned out in the air on Sunday.

Interesting comments, I could have sworn we lost to a very sluggish Liverpool who were there for the taking.

Morgan at fault for both goals ( he reminded me on a sulky teenager attending a family function he didn't want to be at), Tadic looks good if a little slow (perhaps we took the direct replacement for Lallana to literally...).

Pelle looks like a big lump and we will need to find a way to play with him but he was cleaned out in the air on Sunday.

Thought Morgan was partially culpable for 2nd, standing lazily rather than going to challenge for 2nd ball. Though the 2nd goal was a mass of errors.

Indeed - tis lazy to only blame this on Davis (as many have done) or Clyne (as some have done). Wanyama's initial header was poor, Morgan was then looking up at the ball as though he was going to challenge for it, but hesitated as he thought Davis was going to. Davis did the same (more understandably IMO, as Morgan would be heading the ball away from goal) and you can see him hesitate as he thinks Morgan is going to go for it, leading to him making a challenge late. The resulting header falls to Sturridge, Clyne being the wrong side of him and unable to get a challenge in to even prevent what was a poor finish, and Forster could possibly have been more decisive to come out quicker.

All in all a very poor goal to concede, no one individual to blame, but also something that can be worked on... the Morgan of last season would've gone straight for the ball and won it IMO.

Thought Morgan was partially culpable for 2nd, standing lazily rather than going to challenge for 2nd ball. Though the 2nd goal was a mass of errors.

Indeed - tis lazy to only blame this on Davis (as many have done) or Clyne (as some have done). Wanyama's initial header was poor, Morgan was then looking up at the ball as though he was going to challenge for it, but hesitated as he thought Davis was going to. Davis did the same (more understandably IMO, as Morgan would be heading the ball away from goal) and you can see him hesitate as he thinks Morgan is going to go for it, leading to him making a challenge late. The resulting header falls to Sturridge, Clyne being the wrong side of him and unable to get a challenge in to even prevent what was a poor finish, and Forster could possibly have been more decisive to come out quicker.

All in all a very poor goal to concede, no one individual to blame, but also something that can be worked on... the Morgan of last season would've gone straight for the ball and won it IMO.