• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

it wasn't a clear cut sitter though was it, he had to slightly nudge Johnson off and then focus on getting his head on the ball in that split second. I would suggest you give the player at least half a season before making your judgement

In half a season that will still be a bad miss. His record says he doesn't score many goals, supporters of his previous clubs say he isn't a natural finisher and misses many chances, and I think that is a very good chance.

In half a season what could change is that he scores lots of goals for us and takes his chances. But that would be different to the story of his previous career. I hope he does it. But I am not sure that at 27 he becomes a better finisher. Time will tell.

it wasn't a clear cut sitter though was it, he had to slightly nudge Johnson off and then focus on getting his head on the ball in that split second. I would suggest you give the player at least half a season before making your judgement

In half a season that will still be a bad miss. His record says he doesn't score many goals, supporters of his previous clubs say he isn't a natural finisher and misses many chances, and I think that is a very good chance.

In half a season what could change is that he scores lots of goals for us and takes his chances. But that would be different to the story of his previous career. I hope he does it. But I am not sure that at 27 he becomes a better finisher. Time will tell.

I don't think it was easy goal cos of covering defenders etc but it was, to be fair, a pretty shite effort

I don't think it was easy goal cos of covering defenders etc but it was, to be fair, a pretty shite effort

Ok so before the game i wanted a performance and not to get hammered so i have to put disappointment in context. It was a decent display where we threw away chance to get at least an away point.

After watching game, it seems clear we won't be challenging top 10 without top signings but we hopefully won't be relegated. So not great but not tragedy. Talk about aiming for europe seems farfetched given the issues at the back and the lack of cutting edge up front.

Ratings

Forster: 6, ok but save at end of 1st half was poor

Clyne: 6 good going forward, at fault for goals defensively

Bertrand: 7 good disply, keep playing like that and may be worth spending 10m on him. Not as good as shaw but good.

Fonte: 6, hmm heart in mouth moments but not rank terribleness

Yohida: 6, hmm heart in mouth moments but not rank terribleness

Wanyama: 8, great at breaking up play, didn't pass more than 5 yards, can't shoot but very good at what he does

Morgan: 6: Lazy, tempted to give him a 5. Felt like either he didn't want to get injured or wasn't fit. Still almost scored

Davis: 5, Energetic but lacking quality , Should have scored

JWP: Energetic, decent set piece delivery

Tadic: 7, Bright & innovative. Nice set up for goal

Pelle: 5, won some headers is about all positive i could say bout him

Subs:

Long: 3, can't head into an open net. Hmm 12m.

Isgrove: 6, energetic, almost got in a couple of times

Ok so before the game i wanted a performance and not to get hammered so i have to put disappointment in context. It was a decent display where we threw away chance to get at least an away point.

After watching game, it seems clear we won't be challenging top 10 without top signings but we hopefully won't be relegated. So not great but not tragedy. Talk about aiming for europe seems farfetched given the issues at the back and the lack of cutting edge up front.

Ratings

Bertrand: 7 good disply, keep playing like that and may be worth spending 10m on him. Not as good as shaw but good.

Wanyama: 8, great at breaking up play, didn't pass more than 5 yards, can't shoot but very good at what he does

Morgan: 6: Lazy, tempted to give him a 5. Felt like either he didn't want to get injured or wasn't fit. Still almost scored

Subs:

The point I was making is that anyone can miss a chance, that was worse than Longs effort today. Pretty annoying to be going on about this, it's a minuscule thing in the grand scale. It wasn't a sitter, end of. Bored now.

The point I was making is that anyone can miss a chance, that was worse than Longs effort today. Pretty annoying to be going on about this, it's a minuscule thing in the grand scale. It wasn't a sitter, end of. Bored now.

No it won't be a bad miss. Go and watch another game if you want perfection. If he'd scored that he'd be worth £120m.

No it won't be a bad miss. Go and watch another game if you want perfection. If he'd scored that he'd be worth £120m.

Ratings

Subs:

How man more f**cking times? It wasn't an open net FFS.

Ratings

Subs:

How man more f**cking times? It wasn't an open net FFS.

Amazed most the media/neutrals are not commenting on wanyama. Lots of praise for other saints players. Maybe we should be grateful he's under the radar. Would be superb in his role for any club in the league. Is there a better defensive midfielder? Purely defensive? Matic looks good but need to see more of him.

Wanyamas weakness was passing but today I thought he looked great on the ball too. Immense performance and the best CM on the pitch, followed by Schneiderlin.

Still can't pass but he didn't try today. Gave the ball simple to others that could. For away games like that Wanyama is perfect, though i'd still prefer someone like Cork who can offer more on the ball at times at home.

Amazed most the media/neutrals are not commenting on wanyama. Lots of praise for other saints players. Maybe we should be grateful he's under the radar. Would be superb in his role for any club in the league. Is there a better defensive midfielder? Purely defensive? Matic looks good but need to see more of him.

Wanyamas weakness was passing but today I thought he looked great on the ball too. Immense performance and the best CM on the pitch, followed by Schneiderlin.

Still can't pass but he didn't try today. Gave the ball simple to others that could. For away games like that Wanyama is perfect, though i'd still prefer someone like Cork who can offer more on the ball at times at home.

Why aren't the same people having a go at Davis? His chance was much easier.

It certainly was.

I was disappointed Long couldn't get his header on target but if he had done there was a good chance of it being blocked on the line anyway. Davis had time to pick his spot, even take a touch, and panicked.

Why aren't the same people having a go at Davis? His chance was much easier.

It certainly was.

I was disappointed Long couldn't get his header on target but if he had done there was a good chance of it being blocked on the line anyway. Davis had time to pick his spot, even take a touch, and panicked.

It certainly was.

Agreed. I quite like Davis but the blood rushed to his head a bit. He probably had too much time to think about it.

It certainly was.

Agreed. I quite like Davis but the blood rushed to his head a bit. He probably had too much time to think about it.

It just goes to show that some of our fans have so little faith in us, that there were dire predictions of a walloping form Liverpool and yet it isn't delusional for anybody on here to have expressed disappointment that we didn't get at least one point, or indeed all three. I believe that we matched them for shots on goal and were ahead on corners. A lot of the pundits who have expressed opinions that we will have a torrid time with so many new players needing time to gel, will have to revise those opinions in the light of the bad fright that we gave Liverpool. When Sturridge scored what proved to be the winner, Rodgers' celebration had one thinking that they had scored the winner in the Champions League final, so palpable must have been his relief, because on balance it had looked more likely that we would be the team to have gone ahead with the chances we had created late in the game.

It wasn't blatantly obvious to the casual observer that this was a team of strangers until comparatively recently. Yes, there were one or two passes or through balls that weren't read, but that happens occasionally even with players who know their colleagues game well. What is clear, is that when this understanding has developed between players, the team will be even more effective.

I think that Koeman played a masterstroke psychologically starting Schneiderlin. It was one in the eye to those who had already predicted that he was already off to Spurs. I believe that he played like the professional he is and just a bit of rustiness showed, which will go soon. He put in a good shift with Wanyama and very nearly scored a thumping goal, which Mignolet did well to get fingertips to. Wanyama was a beast as usual and very solid in front to the defence. Fonte was solid, but Yoshida was a bit weak in the first half, although he became more consistent as time went on. I don't think that Shaw could have added much to what Bertrand gave us today and Tadic certainly gave us as good as Lallana would have. I think that on balance, it isn't fanciful to believe that the Bertrand/Tadic partnership might prove to be more effective that of Shaw/Lallana down the left side. I have Tadic as MOTM and was a bit surprised to see him come off. Maybe he took a knock. Clyne made a couple of mistakes early on, but got better as the match progressed and was really very effective in the second half. The Liverpool defence was pretty suspect, despite being improved by Lovren and frankly I don't see them getting so high this season. On this showing, I would feel quite confident of us beating them at St Mary's. Their weak spot was Johnson. Quite how he gets in the Liverpool team, let alone the England team, is one of life's great mysteries.

I wondered whether the goal scored by Stirling might have been replicated had Long been on at a time when Liverpool were pressing high up the pitch? Certainly Long is capable of frightening a defence by running at them having taken a ball over the top like that which put Stirling through. Otherwise, Pelle didn't get much service and it would be interested to see Long and Pelle having more time playing together to see whether one might play off the other. Speaking of Stirling, I presume that he only got man of the match as Liverpool's best player, as there is never going to be anybody awarding that to a Saints player unless we are playing a club considered to be inferior to us, which Liverpool could never be, even if many of their team comprises our ex-players. Both Wanyama and Tadic would probably have been awarded MOTM ahead of him in the eyes of an objective neutral.

It will be interesting to see whether we bring in more signings and who they will be, but for now, things look pretty good, especially as we still have Rodriguez to come back as well as Gardos. I'm encouraged to believe that we will pick up some good points from the next few matches.

It just goes to show that some of our fans have so little faith in us, that there were dire predictions of a walloping form Liverpool and yet it isn't delusional for anybody on here to have expressed disappointment that we didn't get at least one point, or indeed all three. I believe that we matched them for shots on goal and were ahead on corners. A lot of the pundits who have expressed opinions that we will have a torrid time with so many new players needing time to gel, will have to revise those opinions in the light of the bad fright that we gave Liverpool. When Sturridge scored what proved to be the winner, Rodgers' celebration had one thinking that they had scored the winner in the Champions League final, so palpable must have been his relief, because on balance it had looked more likely that we would be the team to have gone ahead with the chances we had created late in the game.

It wasn't blatantly obvious to the casual observer that this was a team of strangers until comparatively recently. Yes, there were one or two passes or through balls that weren't read, but that happens occasionally even with players who know their colleagues game well. What is clear, is that when this understanding has developed between players, the team will be even more effective.

I think that Koeman played a masterstroke psychologically starting Schneiderlin. It was one in the eye to those who had already predicted that he was already off to Spurs. I believe that he played like the professional he is and just a bit of rustiness showed, which will go soon. He put in a good shift with Wanyama and very nearly scored a thumping goal, which Mignolet did well to get fingertips to. Wanyama was a beast as usual and very solid in front to the defence. Fonte was solid, but Yoshida was a bit weak in the first half, although he became more consistent as time went on. I don't think that Shaw could have added much to what Bertrand gave us today and Tadic certainly gave us as good as Lallana would have. I think that on balance, it isn't fanciful to believe that the Bertrand/Tadic partnership might prove to be more effective that of Shaw/Lallana down the left side. I have Tadic as MOTM and was a bit surprised to see him come off. Maybe he took a knock. Clyne made a couple of mistakes early on, but got better as the match progressed and was really very effective in the second half. The Liverpool defence was pretty suspect, despite being improved by Lovren and frankly I don't see them getting so high this season. On this showing, I would feel quite confident of us beating them at St Mary's. Their weak spot was Johnson. Quite how he gets in the Liverpool team, let alone the England team, is one of life's great mysteries.

I wondered whether the goal scored by Stirling might have been replicated had Long been on at a time when Liverpool were pressing high up the pitch? Certainly Long is capable of frightening a defence by running at them having taken a ball over the top like that which put Stirling through. Otherwise, Pelle didn't get much service and it would be interested to see Long and Pelle having more time playing together to see whether one might play off the other. Speaking of Stirling, I presume that he only got man of the match as Liverpool's best player, as there is never going to be anybody awarding that to a Saints player unless we are playing a club considered to be inferior to us, which Liverpool could never be, even if many of their team comprises our ex-players. Both Wanyama and Tadic would probably have been awarded MOTM ahead of him in the eyes of an objective neutral.

It will be interesting to see whether we bring in more signings and who they will be, but for now, things look pretty good, especially as we still have Rodriguez to come back as well as Gardos. I'm encouraged to believe that we will pick up some good points from the next few matches.

So fatman Glen Johnson barging in his face between him and the goal makes it an 'open net? Watch MOTD2 and count the defenders on the line, plus the goalkeeper.

Watched it numerous times. He eases johnson away well then heads it wide terribly. Long came for 12m and needs to put open goals on target.

Davis's was a poor finish too as i stated. Davis is an industrious midfielder who came on a free and doesn't score many though.

So fatman Glen Johnson barging in his face between him and the goal makes it an 'open net? Watch MOTD2 and count the defenders on the line, plus the goalkeeper.

Watched it numerous times. He eases johnson away well then heads it wide terribly. Long came for 12m and needs to put open goals on target.

Davis's was a poor finish too as i stated. Davis is an industrious midfielder who came on a free and doesn't score many though.