• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

Wrong. We created 3 incredible chances and only took one of them. They took both of theirs. That was the difference as it was plenty of times last year - finishing

Definitely agree with this! We don't have Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Dzeko, Costa and neither could we afford them this season or last season. We'll have to hope we get lucky with a lesser known player or that Pelle, Long and Jay Rod form a ridiculously good front 3.

Wrong. We created 3 incredible chances and only took one of them. They took both of theirs. That was the difference as it was plenty of times last year - finishing

Definitely agree with this! We don't have Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Dzeko, Costa and neither could we afford them this season or last season. We'll have to hope we get lucky with a lesser known player or that Pelle, Long and Jay Rod form a ridiculously good front 3.

No - my point is that Lovrens leadership and dependability at the back compared to the nervousness Yoshida created made the difference in the first half when playing such a defensive formation, we didn't play 433 we were playing 4~3-2-1, but still were looking nervous against long balls.

Lovren had plenty of dodgy moments in the second half of the season. He's miles better than Yoshida but Yoshida wasn't at fault for the goals today as poor as he was at times.

The difference was simple - Sturridge had a chance and scored and we had a few and missed. Game over.

No - my point is that Lovrens leadership and dependability at the back compared to the nervousness Yoshida created made the difference in the first half when playing such a defensive formation, we didn't play 433 we were playing 4~3-2-1, but still were looking nervous against long balls.

Lovren had plenty of dodgy moments in the second half of the season. He's miles better than Yoshida but Yoshida wasn't at fault for the goals today as poor as he was at times.

The difference was simple - Sturridge had a chance and scored and we had a few and missed. Game over.

It was a great performance from Saints and a complete surprise. Bear in mind this team hasn't played much together, and even the lads that were here last season are learning a new system. All positive signs.

Tadic is going to be massive for us this season if he can be consistent. Bertrand was probably my MOTM as he always offered an outlet and bombed forward. He linked up well with both Tadic and Isgrove when he came on. JWP had a better game than some say IMO but set pieces and running aside he doesn't yet offer us creativity we need. Tadic and Ramirez alongside Long and/or Pelle would be immense. AND Koeman wants another Attacking Midfielder!

Defence needs sorting out still, we lack right back depth and possibly even another centre back, but we're getting there. Play like that every game, with more sharpness in attack and the more fitness that will naturally come, and we'll win more than we lose.

0 points, and the result is what mattered, but first game of the season innit, the season is Long.

Oh, and **** off Liverpool. :-D

It was a great performance from Saints and a complete surprise. Bear in mind this team hasn't played much together, and even the lads that were here last season are learning a new system. All positive signs.

Tadic is going to be massive for us this season if he can be consistent. Bertrand was probably my MOTM as he always offered an outlet and bombed forward. He linked up well with both Tadic and Isgrove when he came on. JWP had a better game than some say IMO but set pieces and running aside he doesn't yet offer us creativity we need. Tadic and Ramirez alongside Long and/or Pelle would be immense. AND Koeman wants another Attacking Midfielder!

Defence needs sorting out still, we lack right back depth and possibly even another centre back, but we're getting there. Play like that every game, with more sharpness in attack and the more fitness that will naturally come, and we'll win more than we lose.

0 points, and the result is what mattered, but first game of the season innit, the season is Long.

We need some depth and options,

I think we should shift Mayuka out and put Gallagher out on loan.

Ok boss

I enjoyed today's game and think we looked sharp. Agonising not to get anything with those two sitters. Bigger challenges to come though, because Liverpool were pretty poor.

We need some depth and options,

I think we should shift Mayuka out and put Gallagher out on loan.

Ok boss

I enjoyed today's game and think we looked sharp. Agonising not to get anything with those two sitters. Bigger challenges to come though, because Liverpool were pretty poor.

Difficult to fault the evidence here to be fair! :)

Have to say, at the end of the day I am pretty proud of the team. Certainly more positive than I thought we'd be feeling today. Even at our best last season we'd have taken the overall performance today as being commendable. Let's just hope we can continue to give Koeman the tools he needs for a top half finish before 1 Sep. if I was Vlaar and Townsen or another Id have seen an outfit that I'd want to join.... And a manager I'd want to work for.

Difficult to fault the evidence here to be fair! :)

Have to say, at the end of the day I am pretty proud of the team. Certainly more positive than I thought we'd be feeling today. Even at our best last season we'd have taken the overall performance today as being commendable. Let's just hope we can continue to give Koeman the tools he needs for a top half finish before 1 Sep. if I was Vlaar and Townsen or another Id have seen an outfit that I'd want to join.... And a manager I'd want to work for.

Agree with all of that. Feel my h better after that game and didn't feel like a loss.

Agree with all of that. Feel my h better after that game and didn't feel like a loss.

Back from the pub: it's sometimes hard not havng a telly! :-) Anyway, haven't read the thread but was wondering how the bed-wetters were getting on? Way to go but I'd say it wasn't all doom and gloom and in the pub I was holding my head just like Davis..

I'll go back and have a look at a few comments, but in my opinion hasn't JWP stepped up a notch? Tadic looks a real asset, Wanyama is improving all the time, and Morgan? Professionalism incarnate.

Back from the pub: it's sometimes hard not havng a telly! :-) Anyway, haven't read the thread but was wondering how the bed-wetters were getting on? Way to go but I'd say it wasn't all doom and gloom and in the pub I was holding my head just like Davis..

I'll go back and have a look at a few comments, but in my opinion hasn't JWP stepped up a notch? Tadic looks a real asset, Wanyama is improving all the time, and Morgan? Professionalism incarnate.

Of the new boys Bertrand and Tadic were very good. Really impressed with both.

Pelle was quiet and did not win as many (if any?) high balls as I would have wanted. But its still early and I remember a dutch fan saying it might take him a few games to settle in.

Forster did not really have to make a decent save, but (and im being really picky here) I would of liked to see him clatter into Sterling on the one on one, but Cylne was heading back so I think thats why he hesitated here.

Of the old guard, Vic was GREAT, Morgan solid considering the recent drama. Fonte great and for the yoshida haters he really was not all that bad at all. When you are watching people , looking for them to make mistakes you do usually see the negatives.

Deserved a draw at least.

I watched with two baggie fans and both said we should do a number on them next week.

Of the new boys Bertrand and Tadic were very good. Really impressed with both.

Pelle was quiet and did not win as many (if any?) high balls as I would have wanted. But its still early and I remember a dutch fan saying it might take him a few games to settle in.

Forster did not really have to make a decent save, but (and im being really picky here) I would of liked to see him clatter into Sterling on the one on one, but Cylne was heading back so I think thats why he hesitated here.

Of the old guard, Vic was GREAT, Morgan solid considering the recent drama. Fonte great and for the yoshida haters he really was not all that bad at all. When you are watching people , looking for them to make mistakes you do usually see the negatives.

Deserved a draw at least.

I watched with two baggie fans and both said we should do a number on them next week.

Really pleased with that performance in the second half especially , VW played Gerrard of the park, Tadic looks like an upgrade on AL , Clyne is a constant threat going forward but needs a right wing partner like he used to do with Punch and Bertrand looked good and up for it , he is not the bad player we all think and if you look a the players that kept him out of the Chelsea side that supports it.

Pelle didnt look great but some of his movement is good , one bit when he cut inside clear very cleverly and ward prowse played it outside shows the potential when they all get up to speed .

I remember watching Tino Aspilla years ago when he first played for newcastle and he was hopeless , four matches later he was unplayable .

A Liverpool fan in the pub summed it up for me , look at Saints they have had there heart ripped out and they are outplaying us , what a great team he said .

Really pleased with that performance in the second half especially , VW played Gerrard of the park, Tadic looks like an upgrade on AL , Clyne is a constant threat going forward but needs a right wing partner like he used to do with Punch and Bertrand looked good and up for it , he is not the bad player we all think and if you look a the players that kept him out of the Chelsea side that supports it.

Pelle didnt look great but some of his movement is good , one bit when he cut inside clear very cleverly and ward prowse played it outside shows the potential when they all get up to speed .

I remember watching Tino Aspilla years ago when he first played for newcastle and he was hopeless , four matches later he was unplayable .

A Liverpool fan in the pub summed it up for me , look at Saints they have had there heart ripped out and they are outplaying us , what a great team he said .

Not expected anything. Thought we played really well in most parts

You can't go away to anfield and miss two sitters like we did

Bertrand, wanyama, JWP, clyne and tadic looked very good.

Pelle was poor IMO. Fortser did nothing wrong. Morgan off the pace

Weak squad when isgrove is coming on

All in all, very encouraging, tadic looked mustered

Not expected anything. Thought we played really well in most parts

You can't go away to anfield and miss two sitters like we did

Bertrand, wanyama, JWP, clyne and tadic looked very good.

Pelle was poor IMO. Fortser did nothing wrong. Morgan off the pace

Weak squad when isgrove is coming on

All in all, very encouraging, tadic looked mustered

I think we should all get off Pelles back. The boy has been in the uk for a couple of weeks and his first game as a striker. It will take him a little time to settle and get used to the physical side of the game here in England. How about we support the lad and give him confidence, eh?

I think we should all get off Pelles back. The boy has been in the uk for a couple of weeks and his first game as a striker. It will take him a little time to settle and get used to the physical side of the game here in England. How about we support the lad and give him confidence, eh?

The book on Shane Long was always that he can't finish for toffee just a shame we had to learn like that straight away.

You absolute cretin, the guy has only been here for two days and has had no chance to work with the other players let alone know them personally enough to develop trust in them and anticipation of their way of playing.

Don't you even have enough common sense to let him settle for a few weeks before you air you're well rehearsed bad mannered prejudices. F off and support somebody else.

The book on Shane Long was always that he can't finish for toffee just a shame we had to learn like that straight away.

You absolute cretin, the guy has only been here for two days and has had no chance to work with the other players let alone know them personally enough to develop trust in them and anticipation of their way of playing.

Don't you even have enough common sense to let him settle for a few weeks before you air you're well rehearsed bad mannered prejudices. F off and support somebody else.

Forster - 6 - Solid, no chance with either goal.

Clyne - 5 - Absolute garbage first 30 mins, improved and took his goal superbly but very poor for both goals

Fonte - 8 - Very good, coped well but could have postioned himself better for their goal, excellent second half

Yoshida - 6 - Erratic, made mistakes early on but also did very well on other occasions (tackle on Coutinho was class).

Bertrand - 7 - Very impressive going forward

Morgan - 6 - Did Ok, didn't seem as 'involved' but had one or two moments

Wanyama - 8 - Superb performance, made some crucial tackles/interventions but sloppy for their second

Davis - 7 - Did a lot of unnoticed work, wasted a glorious chance on the hour mark that cost us

JWP - 6 - Looked like he was playing out of position, good set pieces though and got better second half

Pelle - 6 - Mainly isolated

Tadic - 8 - has great feet and was a key attacking threat. Sometimes wasteful but what an assist.

On that evidence I think we are about where we were last season. There are quality players in the squad and on another day we could have won the game. It was finishing that cost us

Regarding Yoshida people always forget he's a jobber/backup and he isn't Lovren mark II. He made some careless mistakes early on but he also did some very good work. He made a key tackle on Coutinho just before HT, coped very well with a hospital pass he received on his own 18 yard line and set up Tadic down the left with a strong header. Clyne was far worse than him defensively today. Yoshida also tends to get better with more match practice, so personally I'm ok with him.

Largely agree with that but I'd give JWP a 7 and Davis a 6. Thought that JWP was one of our better players, especially in the second-half when he was used more centrally. Feel his assets are wasted out on the right and we looked more balanced when he switched positionally with Davis. Pelle needs to be more aggressive and sharpen his decision making, I thought he was carried through the game a bit. Hopefully he won't take too long to adapt, a goal in the next couple of games would do his confidence wonders. Bertrand was very solid, Wanyama a beast, Fonte assured, Morgan not at his best, Davis wasteful. Tadic's assist was outrageous - just a shame that bit of skill at Lovren's expense didn't get us any points. Massively encouraged by that performance though.

Forster - 6 - Solid, no chance with either goal.

Clyne - 5 - Absolute garbage first 30 mins, improved and took his goal superbly but very poor for both goals

Fonte - 8 - Very good, coped well but could have postioned himself better for their goal, excellent second half

Yoshida - 6 - Erratic, made mistakes early on but also did very well on other occasions (tackle on Coutinho was class).

Bertrand - 7 - Very impressive going forward

Morgan - 6 - Did Ok, didn't seem as 'involved' but had one or two moments

Wanyama - 8 - Superb performance, made some crucial tackles/interventions but sloppy for their second

Davis - 7 - Did a lot of unnoticed work, wasted a glorious chance on the hour mark that cost us

JWP - 6 - Looked like he was playing out of position, good set pieces though and got better second half

Pelle - 6 - Mainly isolated

Tadic - 8 - has great feet and was a key attacking threat. Sometimes wasteful but what an assist.

On that evidence I think we are about where we were last season. There are quality players in the squad and on another day we could have won the game. It was finishing that cost us

Regarding Yoshida people always forget he's a jobber/backup and he isn't Lovren mark II. He made some careless mistakes early on but he also did some very good work. He made a key tackle on Coutinho just before HT, coped very well with a hospital pass he received on his own 18 yard line and set up Tadic down the left with a strong header. Clyne was far worse than him defensively today. Yoshida also tends to get better with more match practice, so personally I'm ok with him.

Largely agree with that but I'd give JWP a 7 and Davis a 6. Thought that JWP was one of our better players, especially in the second-half when he was used more centrally. Feel his assets are wasted out on the right and we looked more balanced when he switched positionally with Davis. Pelle needs to be more aggressive and sharpen his decision making, I thought he was carried through the game a bit. Hopefully he won't take too long to adapt, a goal in the next couple of games would do his confidence wonders. Bertrand was very solid, Wanyama a beast, Fonte assured, Morgan not at his best, Davis wasteful. Tadic's assist was outrageous - just a shame that bit of skill at Lovren's expense didn't get us any points. Massively encouraged by that performance though.

:lol: :uhoh:

:lol: :uhoh:

Given the major disruption of the summer I reckon that we did well today !

On top of some good individual performances, I was impressed by the attitude and workrate!

Strikes me that Koeman and his back room team know what they are about !

The portents are good !

The future is bright, the future is red and white !

Given the major disruption of the summer I reckon that we did well today !

On top of some good individual performances, I was impressed by the attitude and workrate!

Strikes me that Koeman and his back room team know what they are about !

The portents are good !

The future is bright, the future is red and white !