• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

You've decided he's shiite so no matter what he does your opinion won't change. Seen better players than Long miss easier chances than that.

No I've decided to take a look at his scoring record and read what fans of his previous clubs have said and then realise that when he headed it wide from 5 yards with no goalkeeper that perhaps we found out quickly why he has the goalscoring record he has.

But never mind I am sure he will turn into a 20 goal a season striker with us.

You've decided he's shiite so no matter what he does your opinion won't change. Seen better players than Long miss easier chances than that.

No I've decided to take a look at his scoring record and read what fans of his previous clubs have said and then realise that when he headed it wide from 5 yards with no goalkeeper that perhaps we found out quickly why he has the goalscoring record he has.

You need to look past his goal scoring record, he's not been brought in solely for that. When he was brought on you could see the energy and speed he injected into the attack, with Jay out we needed that sort of dimension in the final third. He's a good player who will score a good few goals, but will also create a fair few.

And so much is being made out of 'that miss'. It was not a sitter, he jumped to just try and get a touch on it, he had no space or view to actually get any direction on it - he just needed to get a nick and hope it went in, unfortunately it didn't. So it wasn't really a sitter.

You need to look past his goal scoring record, he's not been brought in solely for that. When he was brought on you could see the energy and speed he injected into the attack, with Jay out we needed that sort of dimension in the final third. He's a good player who will score a good few goals, but will also create a fair few.

And so much is being made out of 'that miss'. It was not a sitter, he jumped to just try and get a touch on it, he had no space or view to actually get any direction on it - he just needed to get a nick and hope it went in, unfortunately it didn't. So it wasn't really a sitter.

I agree he brings much more than his scoring record - his energy and movement is good. But when I merely pointed out his scoring record and that by ANYONES standards the chance he had was great and should have been on target people are getting their knickers in a twist. Accept it. He missed a great chance. He is not a good finisher. His reaction says it all. He hustled well and stood his ground against Johnson and then nodded it casually wide. Look at everyone's reaction when it happened - not the reaction of teammates who thought 'better luck next time that was hard'.

I agree he brings much more than his scoring record - his energy and movement is good. But when I merely pointed out his scoring record and that by ANYONES standards the chance he had was great and should have been on target people are getting their knickers in a twist. Accept it. He missed a great chance. He is not a good finisher. His reaction says it all. He hustled well and stood his ground against Johnson and then nodded it casually wide. Look at everyone's reaction when it happened - not the reaction of teammates who thought 'better luck next time that was hard'.

Nope, LLP has spoken. It was a sitter without a keeper or defenders about. Easiest chance in the history of football.

Nope, LLP has spoken. It was a sitter without a keeper or defenders about. Easiest chance in the history of football.

Watch it again tonight and you'll see a lot between Long and the goal.

Watch it again tonight and you'll see a lot between Long and the goal.

Amazed most the media/neutrals are not commenting on wanyama. Lots of praise for other saints players. Maybe we should be grateful he's under the radar. Would be superb in his role for any club in the league. Is there a better defensive midfielder? Purely defensive? Matic looks good but need to see more of him.

Wanyamas weakness was passing but today I thought he looked great on the ball too. Immense performance and the best CM on the pitch, followed by Schneiderlin.

The TV commentary I listened to (which included Graeme Le Saux) were full of praise for Wanyama.

Amazed most the media/neutrals are not commenting on wanyama. Lots of praise for other saints players. Maybe we should be grateful he's under the radar. Would be superb in his role for any club in the league. Is there a better defensive midfielder? Purely defensive? Matic looks good but need to see more of him.

Wanyamas weakness was passing but today I thought he looked great on the ball too. Immense performance and the best CM on the pitch, followed by Schneiderlin.

The TV commentary I listened to (which included Graeme Le Saux) were full of praise for Wanyama.

Watch this ffs :lol:

http://balls.ie/football/gif-shane-long-missed-sitter-claws-quickly-came/

No excuses - poor finishing from a poor finisher. Can't believe people are standing up for him. Can he not get that on target? Really? He looked busy when he came on and adds something to us - not £12m something to my mind, but time will tell on that. But that is a bad bad miss.

No excuses - poor finishing from a poor finisher. Can't believe people are standing up for him. Can he not get that on target? Really? He looked busy when he came on and adds something to us - not £12m something to my mind, but time will tell on that. But that is a bad bad miss.

So Lambert, of all players, didn't miss dead easy chances for Saints?

As I've said, you've decided he's shiite so no matter what he does, you'll bleat, as you have all summer long.

As I've said, you've decided he's shiite so no matter what he does, you'll bleat, as you have all summer long.

Davis's was a bad miss, didn't even work the keeper. Long had Johnson a bigger man all over him, got a header in. Schneiderlin hit his shot straight at the keeper, either side like Clyne and he would have buried it.

Davis's was a bad miss, didn't even work the keeper. Long had Johnson a bigger man all over him, got a header in. Schneiderlin hit his shot straight at the keeper, either side like Clyne and he would have buried it.

A very encouraging start to the season. Wanyama's passing was excellent today and he totally bossed the midfield.

Disappointed with Davis, if fit Gaston in for him next week?

Great debut for Tadic, if he cuts out the odd wasteful cross he will have one hell of a season.

Thought Pelle improved in he 2nd half, good chest down for Morgan's effort.

Bit harsh that's probably the first bad game Davis has had for a very long time happens to everyone no reason to drop him after one dodgy game.

A very encouraging start to the season. Wanyama's passing was excellent today and he totally bossed the midfield.

Disappointed with Davis, if fit Gaston in for him next week?

Great debut for Tadic, if he cuts out the odd wasteful cross he will have one hell of a season.

Thought Pelle improved in he 2nd half, good chest down for Morgan's effort.

Bit harsh that's probably the first bad game Davis has had for a very long time happens to everyone no reason to drop him after one dodgy game.

Of course Lambert missed easy chances. But we know he scores goals for us and has a goalscoring record that says so as well.

Long does not have the record - so remind me why you think he will break the habit of a long career in the top flight and score lots of goals for us?

And remind me what was inaccurate about my statement:

1. He does not have a great goalscoring record.

2. We were told he misses lots of chances

3. He missed an easy chance for us.

People got all defensive when I just pointed out those three things.

I want him to be a massive success for us as I do every player. But that miss backs up the story of his career in terms of goals rather than gets treated like an exception. He'll bring lots of other good stuff to the table but I merely commented that we were told he can't finish and that miss backs it up. Deal with it - what is so bad about saying that?

Of course Lambert missed easy chances. But we know he scores goals for us and has a goalscoring record that says so as well.

Long does not have the record - so remind me why you think he will break the habit of a long career in the top flight and score lots of goals for us?

And remind me what was inaccurate about my statement:

1. He does not have a great goalscoring record.

2. We were told he misses lots of chances

3. He missed an easy chance for us.

People got all defensive when I just pointed out those three things.

I want him to be a massive success for us as I do every player. But that miss backs up the story of his career in terms of goals rather than gets treated like an exception. He'll bring lots of other good stuff to the table but I merely commented that we were told he can't finish and that miss backs it up. Deal with it - what is so bad about saying that?

LLP - every Saints striker in the club's history has missed chances similar to or easier than that. And that's players who have played for the club longer than a few days and had more match time for the club than minutes.

It's a good job you aren't a football scout.

LLP - every Saints striker in the club's history has missed chances similar to or easier than that. And that's players who have played for the club longer than a few days and had more match time for the club than minutes.

Only had Solent to go by but I was really encouraged by todays performance. We have a very new team with whole load of players still settling in and learning each others games, and the still gave Liverpool a very hard game on their home turf, just imagine how good this team might get after a few games to click and I reckon we will be fine this season.

Only had Solent to go by but I was really encouraged by todays performance. We have a very new team with whole load of players still settling in and learning each others games, and the still gave Liverpool a very hard game on their home turf, just imagine how good this team might get after a few games to click and I reckon we will be fine this season.

What on earth does how long Long has been with us or other players have to do with this?

I pointed out a player with a bad scoring record missed a good chance. People are getting upset about that :lol::lol::lol:

Would love him to smash 15 goals this season. Is there ANYTHING to suggest he will?

What on earth does how long Long has been with us or other players have to do with this?

I pointed out a player with a bad scoring record missed a good chance. People are getting upset about that :lol::lol::lol:

Would love him to smash 15 goals this season. Is there ANYTHING to suggest he will?

Davis's was a bad miss, didn't even work the keeper.

I thought actually that he did work the keeper, just not very hard. I'm sure his shot was on target, perhaps you saw a shot that I didn't. Tried to place the ball, should have leathered it. Then again, Prowsey should have taken the shot on in the first place, either bottled it or was unselfish depending on your pov.

Just watched it again and now I know I wasn't imaging things, he did work the keeper, in fact Mignolet had to stretch to get it. Doesn't get away from the fact that Davis should have smashed it higher and wider though.

Edited by VectisSaint

Davis's was a bad miss, didn't even work the keeper.

I thought actually that he did work the keeper, just not very hard. I'm sure his shot was on target, perhaps you saw a shot that I didn't. Tried to place the ball, should have leathered it. Then again, Prowsey should have taken the shot on in the first place, either bottled it or was unselfish depending on your pov.

Just watched it again and now I know I wasn't imaging things, he did work the keeper, in fact Mignolet had to stretch to get it. Doesn't get away from the fact that Davis should have smashed it higher and wider though.

Edited by VectisSaint

lol, LLP has had a mare and is now desperately trying to justify himself .....

As for Isgrove i thought he did well when he came on, looked full of energy, if anything like to see him trust his ability a bit more and take the FB on. If he's a sign of a 'weak squad' then i think were in good shape

lol, LLP has had a mare and is now desperately trying to justify himself .....

As for Isgrove i thought he did well when he came on, looked full of energy, if anything like to see him trust his ability a bit more and take the FB on. If he's a sign of a 'weak squad' then i think were in good shape

Is there ANYTHING to prove that he won't? Things change. Different team. Different manager. Different tactics. Players improve. I suppose people were annoyed with you writing him off based on "the book". Let's see how things go, eh?

Is there ANYTHING to prove that he won't? Things change. Different team. Different manager. Different tactics. Players improve. I suppose people were annoyed with you writing him off based on "the book". Let's see how things go, eh?

Proud of that performance, deserved more.

Wanyama was outstanding, Bertrand very solid and Tadic looks a really exciting player.

I'm amazed a fair amount of people on here still don't rate Ward-Prowse. Highly praised for his performance in the bbc and guardian minute-by minutes and on the liverpool forums. Once he gets a couple of goals and becomes more selfish from scoring positions he's going to be a great player for us.

Credit to Yoshida who looked very shaky to begin with but managed to regain his composure well. Likewise, Pelle really struggled first half but ended up winning a lot of headers (and chests) towards the end.

Once the players get more used to each other's game there is a lot of potential here still.

Proud of that performance, deserved more.

Wanyama was outstanding, Bertrand very solid and Tadic looks a really exciting player.

I'm amazed a fair amount of people on here still don't rate Ward-Prowse. Highly praised for his performance in the bbc and guardian minute-by minutes and on the liverpool forums. Once he gets a couple of goals and becomes more selfish from scoring positions he's going to be a great player for us.

Credit to Yoshida who looked very shaky to begin with but managed to regain his composure well. Likewise, Pelle really struggled first half but ended up winning a lot of headers (and chests) towards the end.

Once the players get more used to each other's game there is a lot of potential here still.

Missing chances like that?

Right now it's easier to look at that miss and his history and point to him not being a great finisher than anything particularly changing. If he plays out on the left then 8 goals is fine by me. But frustrating to see someone who is so busy in the box and work so hard not be able to finish. Fans of West Brom and Hull have said it about him.

Right now it's easier to look at that miss and his history and point to him not being a great finisher than anything particularly changing. If he plays out on the left then 8 goals is fine by me. But frustrating to see someone who is so busy in the box and work so hard not be able to finish. Fans of West Brom and Hull have said it about him.

That's a very valid point, we have so many new players we could have looked disjointed but we dominated a lot of the game and only Pelle looks like he may take a bit of time to settle

On another note how poor was Gerrard, said on the match thread i think he's done, and without him they are going to really struggle

That's a very valid point, we have so many new players we could have looked disjointed but we dominated a lot of the game and only Pelle looks like he may take a bit of time to settle

On another note how poor was Gerrard, said on the match thread i think he's done, and without him they are going to really struggle

Missing chances? OK, for fun, watch this video.

Missing chances? OK, for fun, watch this video.

it wasn't a clear cut sitter though was it, he had to slightly nudge Johnson off and then focus on getting his head on the ball in that split second. I would suggest you give the player at least half a season before making your judgement

it wasn't a clear cut sitter though was it, he had to slightly nudge Johnson off and then focus on getting his head on the ball in that split second. I would suggest you give the player at least half a season before making your judgement