• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

A very encouraging start to the season. Wanyama's passing was excellent today and he totally bossed the midfield.

Disappointed with Davis, if fit Gaston in for him next week?

Great debut for Tadic, if he cuts out the odd wasteful cross he will have one hell of a season.

Thought Pelle improved in he 2nd half, good chest down for Morgan's effort.

A very encouraging start to the season. Wanyama's passing was excellent today and he totally bossed the midfield.

Disappointed with Davis, if fit Gaston in for him next week?

Great debut for Tadic, if he cuts out the odd wasteful cross he will have one hell of a season.

Thought Pelle improved in he 2nd half, good chest down for Morgan's effort.

You have to take your chances - some poor misses. Unimpressed with pelle.

Have to agree about Pelle, he did not impress me last week at St Mary's, as for today, more of the same I am afraid, but we have to give him time I guess and hope he makes the grade.

You have to take your chances - some poor misses. Unimpressed with pelle.

Have to agree about Pelle, he did not impress me last week at St Mary's, as for today, more of the same I am afraid, but we have to give him time I guess and hope he makes the grade.

I find it slightly crazy that so many pundits, fans etc have tipped us to do badly when in Wanyama and Schneiderlin will still have one of the very best CM partnerships in the league. THAT was the key to our success last season more than anything else. If I'd been Liverpool or a few other teams, I'd have paid whatever I had to to buy that partnership.

That clearly wasn't the key otherwise we would have something from the game today. They are important to us but they aren't the key to our success otherwise we could plug any player around them and be as good.

I find it slightly crazy that so many pundits, fans etc have tipped us to do badly when in Wanyama and Schneiderlin will still have one of the very best CM partnerships in the league. THAT was the key to our success last season more than anything else. If I'd been Liverpool or a few other teams, I'd have paid whatever I had to to buy that partnership.

That clearly wasn't the key otherwise we would have something from the game today. They are important to us but they aren't the key to our success otherwise we could plug any player around them and be as good.

Main thing to think about today is that we performed much better than most, if not all, of us predicted, and therefore are far better set for the season that we probably expected.

We're far from where we want to be and there are plenty of improvements to be made, but given the turnover of players we've had, to put in that performance was very encouraging.

Too soon to judge individual players - some will take longer than others to get up to speed... remember how long it took players when we were first promoted, and look at most of them now (including the likes of Lambert, Lallana who've moved on). Keep the faith, with one more addition that Koeman mentioned (attacking player) and Gardos to come in to the starting XI, I think my prediction of 12th may even be too cautious.

All in all it's a decent start, shame to lose, but a performance to give a lot of hope. Stay behind the players, even if some of them take longer to settle than others, or aren't quite firing on all cylinders. We can build something decent again here. Keep the faith.

Main thing to think about today is that we performed much better than most, if not all, of us predicted, and therefore are far better set for the season that we probably expected.

We're far from where we want to be and there are plenty of improvements to be made, but given the turnover of players we've had, to put in that performance was very encouraging.

Too soon to judge individual players - some will take longer than others to get up to speed... remember how long it took players when we were first promoted, and look at most of them now (including the likes of Lambert, Lallana who've moved on). Keep the faith, with one more addition that Koeman mentioned (attacking player) and Gardos to come in to the starting XI, I think my prediction of 12th may even be too cautious.

All in all it's a decent start, shame to lose, but a performance to give a lot of hope. Stay behind the players, even if some of them take longer to settle than others, or aren't quite firing on all cylinders. We can build something decent again here. Keep the faith.

Pelle definitely improved as we got players closer to him. But he needs to speed up some of his play.

I think that was a fair criticism of Tadic at times too, a little slow on the uptake, but I felt both grew into the game and got stronger as they went on.

I think the game with Pelle is to get movement and fluidity in and around him, which Long and Tadic will offer - and so will this new wide player we're after. I don't want to see us leaving him too isolated.

Pelle definitely improved as we got players closer to him. But he needs to speed up some of his play.

I think that was a fair criticism of Tadic at times too, a little slow on the uptake, but I felt both grew into the game and got stronger as they went on.

I think the game with Pelle is to get movement and fluidity in and around him, which Long and Tadic will offer - and so will this new wide player we're after. I don't want to see us leaving him too isolated.

Very promising performance!

Bertrand had a solid game and looks a good acquisition

Wanyama was a beast today and some of his passing was very good , especially the through ball on 55 mins!

Tadic looks a good prospect and is only going to get better

Forster looks a very solid keeper , cant be blamed for any of the goals , solid signing

Clyne certainly made up for his bad positioning for the opener , had a very good game and his goal was a wonderful bit of play with the tadic backheel

Think we are in for a good season under Koeman , team is looking like a top half team based on that performance

Agree with all of this....Yoshida didn't do too badly but still can't distribute and doesn't inspire confidence whenever he's near the ball....Schneiderlin, whilst good to see him start and would've loved to have seen him score, was understandably off the pace too often....Wanyama is a beast...plenty to be positive about, still need 2-3 more players though

Very promising performance!

Bertrand had a solid game and looks a good acquisition

Wanyama was a beast today and some of his passing was very good , especially the through ball on 55 mins!

Tadic looks a good prospect and is only going to get better

Forster looks a very solid keeper , cant be blamed for any of the goals , solid signing

Clyne certainly made up for his bad positioning for the opener , had a very good game and his goal was a wonderful bit of play with the tadic backheel

Think we are in for a good season under Koeman , team is looking like a top half team based on that performance

Agree with all of this....Yoshida didn't do too badly but still can't distribute and doesn't inspire confidence whenever he's near the ball....Schneiderlin, whilst good to see him start and would've loved to have seen him score, was understandably off the pace too often....Wanyama is a beast...plenty to be positive about, still need 2-3 more players though

Gutted with the result, pleased with the performance.

Bertrand and Tadic will cause a lot of teams problems down the left flank this season.

Very impressed by Bertrand. We really did not miss Shaw today and probably we have a better LB this season than Shaw would have been. What we won't have is the improved Shaw that another season or two will probably bring. Tadic is quite exciting to watch, but his fitness levels need to improve so that he is up to speed, that will come though. Was it just me but it seems like JWP has grown an inch or two since last season. I kept thinking who is that tallish blond player in our shirt before quickly realising it was Prowsey (I wasn't watching in HD by the way). Yoshida was pretty good apart from a couple of risky passes early on, considering he hasn't really played since about March apart from for Japan he showed again why he is decent backup, saved us once with one brilliant tackle. Not sure what to think of Fraser, really didn't have much to do, but certainly his kicking and distribution are very good, Boruc's only real weaknesses when his brain is in gear. Pelle was hugely disappointing, looks far too slow and his positional sense in the box is woeful, will have to man-up a lot to make an impression in the PL which is worrying. Davis was good today, but of course his terrible miss will have everyone howling, whereas JWP should have taken the shot on before it got to SD. Morgan was a yard or two off the pace, a fully fit Morgan would never have allowed Henderson to get the ball to Sterling for the first, he would either of got the ball or at worst fouled him. Isgrove does look good, and tracks back well to help out in defence. We really could have done with Gaston today though, game was made for him and his creativity. Wanyama was immense today, although ultimately he cost us the game with a pathetic header, he should have left it for Yoshida to clear powerfully, but then maybe Yoshi did not call, who knows. Big shout also for our new skipper, thought Fonte was very good today and lead then team well.

Gutted with the result, pleased with the performance.

Bertrand and Tadic will cause a lot of teams problems down the left flank this season.

Very impressed by Bertrand. We really did not miss Shaw today and probably we have a better LB this season than Shaw would have been. What we won't have is the improved Shaw that another season or two will probably bring. Tadic is quite exciting to watch, but his fitness levels need to improve so that he is up to speed, that will come though. Was it just me but it seems like JWP has grown an inch or two since last season. I kept thinking who is that tallish blond player in our shirt before quickly realising it was Prowsey (I wasn't watching in HD by the way). Yoshida was pretty good apart from a couple of risky passes early on, considering he hasn't really played since about March apart from for Japan he showed again why he is decent backup, saved us once with one brilliant tackle. Not sure what to think of Fraser, really didn't have much to do, but certainly his kicking and distribution are very good, Boruc's only real weaknesses when his brain is in gear. Pelle was hugely disappointing, looks far too slow and his positional sense in the box is woeful, will have to man-up a lot to make an impression in the PL which is worrying. Davis was good today, but of course his terrible miss will have everyone howling, whereas JWP should have taken the shot on before it got to SD. Morgan was a yard or two off the pace, a fully fit Morgan would never have allowed Henderson to get the ball to Sterling for the first, he would either of got the ball or at worst fouled him. Isgrove does look good, and tracks back well to help out in defence. We really could have done with Gaston today though, game was made for him and his creativity. Wanyama was immense today, although ultimately he cost us the game with a pathetic header, he should have left it for Yoshida to clear powerfully, but then maybe Yoshi did not call, who knows. Big shout also for our new skipper, thought Fonte was very good today and lead then team well.

2-1 away from home to the club that finished runners-up last season is perfectly acceptable and with the report indicating a draw or a Saints' win would have been just as possible indicates there isn't much wrong with the team. Saint Robbie mentions Vlaar or someone similar but Koeman has made it clear that isn't going to happen because we have Gardos to come in when he's fit. A winger who would be better than Isgrove seems a highly probable signing but this is looking far more positive than it was just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

2-1 away from home to the club that finished runners-up last season is perfectly acceptable and with the report indicating a draw or a Saints' win would have been just as possible indicates there isn't much wrong with the team. Saint Robbie mentions Vlaar or someone similar but Koeman has made it clear that isn't going to happen because we have Gardos to come in when he's fit. A winger who would be better than Isgrove seems a highly probable signing but this is looking far more positive than it was just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Some good performances out there today. Bertrand, Tadic, Wanyama, Fonte, Ward-Prowse all did well. Pelle was much better in the second half, winning a lot of balls in the air. He will definitely improve as he gets more experience of the league. Clyne was great going forward.

One of the poorest games I've seen from Davis. Missed a great chance, and then failed to put a challenge in on Sterling that led to the winning goal.

Some excellent corners from Ward-Prowse.

Some good performances out there today. Bertrand, Tadic, Wanyama, Fonte, Ward-Prowse all did well. Pelle was much better in the second half, winning a lot of balls in the air. He will definitely improve as he gets more experience of the league. Clyne was great going forward.

One of the poorest games I've seen from Davis. Missed a great chance, and then failed to put a challenge in on Sterling that led to the winning goal.

Some excellent corners from Ward-Prowse.

Robbie, why do we need another striker? That suggests you've already written off Pelle.

Pelle, Gallagher, Long, Rodriguez - and another wide player to add to the goals will be more than enough. We do not need another striker.

I've not written off Pelle at all. I think he was asked to do a soul destroying role today. He'll come good.

But i don't rate Mayuka or Gallagher at the moment. We need some depth and options, and we still may not see the best of Jay Rod for sometime. I think we should shift Mayuka out and put Gallagher out on loan. But we need another option who's as hungry as Long. Point I'm making is that Long and Pelle need some competition and it's hard to see when Jay Rod will be back and firing on all cylinders. I'd buy another competitive striker now, ship out Mayuka and put Gallagher on loan.

Robbie, why do we need another striker? That suggests you've already written off Pelle.

Pelle, Gallagher, Long, Rodriguez - and another wide player to add to the goals will be more than enough. We do not need another striker.

I've not written off Pelle at all. I think he was asked to do a soul destroying role today. He'll come good.

But i don't rate Mayuka or Gallagher at the moment. We need some depth and options, and we still may not see the best of Jay Rod for sometime. I think we should shift Mayuka out and put Gallagher out on loan. But we need another option who's as hungry as Long. Point I'm making is that Long and Pelle need some competition and it's hard to see when Jay Rod will be back and firing on all cylinders. I'd buy another competitive striker now, ship out Mayuka and put Gallagher on loan.

I agree with all of that, except I thought Pelle started to show some promising signs towards the end of the match.

I agree with all of that, except I thought Pelle started to show some promising signs towards the end of the match.

So he wasn't the one done like a kipper for our goal then ?

No - my point is that Lovrens leadership and dependability at the back compared to the nervousness Yoshida created made the difference in the first half when playing such a defensive formation, we didn't play 433 we were playing 4~3-2-1, but still were looking nervous against long balls.

Great ball by Henderson though. One piece of quality was all it needed.

Edited by SaintRobbie

So he wasn't the one done like a kipper for our goal then ?

No - my point is that Lovrens leadership and dependability at the back compared to the nervousness Yoshida created made the difference in the first half when playing such a defensive formation, we didn't play 433 we were playing 4~3-2-1, but still were looking nervous against long balls.

Great ball by Henderson though. One piece of quality was all it needed.

Edited by SaintRobbie